Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini

Last trip to Kabini was in June 2016. Monsoon rains and the madness at office ensured I could not go out exploring the forests again.

Sunday night my bhpian friend mohanKV messaged me on Whatsapp enquiring if we can go on a drive to Nagarahole. I reluctantly agreed knowing that there will be huge crowds and a confirmed ticket for the safari at Kabini . We debated which car to take, after a lot of to and fro messages, I agreed to let Mohan get his Audi Q3.

He came and picked me up at 1.50 am and we headed off to pick one of his colleagues Dheeraj. A straight dash was planned, however I had nauseating feeling thanks to the perfume and the new car smell in the Q3 Invariably I threw up. Relaxed a bit, post that I took the wheel to ensure the nausea feeling doesn't come up again. A quick break in CCD where these guys had a coffee & snack, I managed to get a power-nap for about 30 mins. Being refreshed, drove at decent speeds to reach the Nagarahole Check-post from the Veeranahosahalli side by 5.50 am. Surprisingly they were letting cars in before 6 am sighting the rush that can build up. It was still dark and we could spot load of spotted deer and huge herd of Guars (a size of around 30 odd). Reached the forest office by 6.50 am. Two buses were already leaving by then and the third bus almost full. It had rained for about 3 hours from 3 am and this ensured that the sightings will be almost nil. We still went ahead with the Safari, the fresh atmosphere around the forests after a rain is worth experiencing.

Forest Atmosphere being good, something had to go wrong. This time it was the people inside the bus. A drunk guy was shouting and hurling abuses to the driver after seeing some water on the seat. Even after the seat wiped, this guy was going on and on. Not surprisingly he had drunk. He did not shop until one of us asked him to shut up. We managed to spot regulars like spotted deer, sambar deer, Kingfisher and serpent eagle.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3052.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3059.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_7874.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_7876.jpg

Returned back from the Safari and started off towards the Damankatte Office as we wanted to reach there before 10.30 to confirm our tickets for the safari. Had brief stop over at Kutta for breakfast and we were off. Took the Kutta - Kattikulam - Bavali - Balle - Damankatte route. Mohan drove from here while I relaxed in the rear seat with the fresh air of the forests. Sunroof did help here.

View from the rear seat

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-drive.jpg

Reach Damankatte office at 10.10 am. First thing I did was to ensure the the amount is paid and the tickets confirmed for the 2nd Safari. Tried to get hold of tickets for the 1st Safari, but it was sold out not surprising as it was a holiday.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 2nd November 2016 at 09:44.
nkrishnap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 09:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini

Post confirming the tickets we were debating if we need to drive through the forests again on this route. However, the road conditions being pretty bad, we decided against it. Mohan and his colleague had a nap in the forest office bench while a cool breeze made it comfortable. Woke up around 12.30 and headed off for lunch. Post lunch another round of nap. We headed to have tea at 3.15 pm. We were back at the forest office by 3.45 pm. Now the agonizing wait for the safari bus continued till 4.15 pm.

Meanwhile this monkey was in deep thoughts wondering what was the commotion with the bus arriving and the people moving briskly to select their seats in the bus.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3078.jpg

A random shot

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3093.jpg

We started off at 4.30 pm for the safari. This time we avoided the Tiger tank as we would be held up with only one zone.

Somewhere near the backwaters this shy elephant was spotted.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_7925.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3231.jpg

This one was real shy and immediately backed off into the bushes and was making sounds as if to communicate "Please get off my territory and don't block my way". Soon moved on and it cross the road. Communication helps you see

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3269.jpg

Now we were round about near the back waters to maximize what ever could see.

Spotted Deer, Sambar Deer and Wild boars.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3401.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3407.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3186.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3190.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3415.jpg

Brahmini Kite doing a survey

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3219.jpg

Crested Serpent Eagle

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3483.jpg

We came across a herd of Elephants and Guars.

Guars

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	1572769

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3325.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3358.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3355.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_7944.jpg

Elephants. One these charged at the safari bus and stopped about 10-12 ft from the bus.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3359.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3384.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3393.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3489.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3505.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3506.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3508.jpg

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_3518.jpg

Sunset at the back waters.

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-img_7980.jpg

As it was getting our driver was in rally mode. Reached the Damankatte forest office by 6.35 pm. We made a quick dash to Bangalore with a stop of over for Dinner on the Outskirts of Mysore. Reached home by 11.30 pm.

Route map

Photologue: Wildlife at Kabini-route-map.jpg

Last edited by nkrishnap : 2nd November 2016 at 09:45.
nkrishnap is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 11:50   #4
BHPian

Awesome is the word. Nice sightings and nice photographs.
Please inform how much is the fare for the safari.
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Awesome is the word. Nice sightings and nice photographs.
Please inform how much is the fare for the safari.
Safari in the department vehicle is 300 bucks per person. But its next to impossible to get the tickets booked. You need to be in person to get the tickets.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks