Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 19:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Compact SUVs road-trip from Kolkata to North Sikkim - 17,800 ft!

Great travelogue buddy. After your thread I am sure North Sikkim would be on to do list of every avid T-Bhp member.
You are right that drive in a group is definitely a safe and fun way to traverse the unknown regions.
Old 15th February 2017, 22:07   #17
BHPian

Wow! Amazing pics. The video is too good and the TUV bouncing like a Rubik's cube looks quite dangerous as if it's about to topple. Is it necessary to go so fast on snow? Sorry for asking this as I don't have any experience riding in snowy conditions.
Old 15th February 2017, 23:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Great stuff! I could feel the fun that you guys must have had through the travelogue. Sikkim is truly a wonderful place to be. And remote Sikkim spots are totally untouched; if you like that kind of tourism, you will never get bored of Sikkim as a destination.
Great log once again!
Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 06:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing this log with the community. Looks like you guys had a great time, and I completely agree that road trips are immense fun with good company.
Old 16th February 2017, 15:49   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Is it necessary to go so fast on snow?
It isn't and like you said, is also dangerous. When your tires land on ice, they dont have any traction and consequently you lose control of the vehicle if not lucky.

The reason you need to be slightly fast (not this fast at all) is to ensure that your momentum and hence traction is maintained since the vehicle in question was a 2WD without any chains or snow tires to aid traction.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:56   #21
BHPian

You guys had an awesome trip which is evident in the pictures. I specially liked your videolog Nicely edited and great background song
Old 18th February 2017, 09:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Wonderful coverage of a fantastic trip of which I have been a part from conception..

On a lighter note, I do not find "leaf springs" under my TUV. Guess I need to create a ruckus at the service center and get them.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Thank you. And thanks for letting me know your TUV doesnt have a leaf spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Superb pics and videos Uprasenjit, rated 5 stars. It has been a long time since I had last visited North Sikkim.

I think you meant Ecosport has terrible low end torque!

This is a debatable topic. I have been going to the hills for more than a decade now and have found that there is a common trait among all the
Thanks. Who knows better than you. I dont want to disrespect anybody, the drivers of North bengal and Sikkim have been very helpful many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Great travelogue with some crispy pictures. Nice videolog too.. rated 5*. It is always fun to have this kind of trip in a group. I have visited the place thrice which includes one bike trip with my wife and one car trip with full family. When I visited the Gurudongmar in bike there was absolutely no road after Giyagaon camp. However if you allow me I will share some pics from my trips.

My Travelogue - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-my-diary.html

You guys are really fast, completed North Sikkim trip in 5 days from Kolkata.
Thanks and please do share. Completing this region is 5 days was Atish's idea. I would have done this circuit with additional few other places in 7 days if time permitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Great travelogue buddy. After your thread I am sure North Sikkim would be on to do list of every avid T-Bhp member.
You are right that drive in a group is definitely a safe and fun way to traverse the unknown regions.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Wow! Amazing pics. The video is too good and the TUV bouncing like a Rubik's cube looks quite dangerous as if it's about to topple. Is it necessary to go so fast on snow? Sorry for asking this as I don't have any experience riding in snowy conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It isn't and like you said, is also dangerous. When your tires land on ice, they dont have any traction and consequently you lose control of the vehicle if not lucky.
Thanks saleem_k & n.devdath. As n.devdath said you shouldnt go very fast on ice, you wont get traction. The reason the TUV/EcoSport was fast because the rough patch had large potholes along with ice and we were afraid that if we go slow we might get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Great stuff! I could feel the fun that you guys must have had through the travelogue. Sikkim is truly a wonderful place to be. And remote Sikkim spots are totally untouched; if you like that kind of tourism, you will never get bored of Sikkim as a destination.
Great log once again!
Regards,
Saket.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for sharing this log with the community. Looks like you guys had a great time, and I completely agree that road trips are immense fun with good company.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
You guys had an awesome trip which is evident in the pictures. I specially liked your videolog Nicely edited and great background song
Thank you. I am still learning how to compose and edit videos. I dont use any third party software as of now (using windows movie maker).
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 12:13   #23
BHPian

Wonderful pictures and a nice travelogue. Shows both you guys and your machines had a great time. I am not very familiar with the terrain. Do you think an ertiga (diesel) can comfortably tackle this terrain with its ground clearance (~185 mm) , power (89 BHP) and huge turbo-lag ?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:39   #24
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your wonderful travelogue with us. It looks like all of you had great time together during the trip. Keep it up.

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Wonderful pictures and a nice travelogue. Shows both you guys and your machines had a great time. I am not very familiar with the terrain. Do you think an ertiga (diesel) can comfortably tackle this terrain with its ground clearance (~185 mm) , power (89 BHP) and huge turbo-lag ?
Thank you. I dont think power is an issue anywhere. 185 ground clearance should be ok if you drive carefully. The problem can be with the wheelbase of Ertiga. 185mm gc with such long wheelbase definitely needs careful driving.

Other 2 things which are important is Approach and departure angle. The more the merrier.

Last edited by Uprasenjit : 23rd February 2017 at 18:37.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 23:20   #26
BHPian

Thats am amazing travelogue and very insightful for me as i'm also planning to do North Sikkim during almost the same dates in 2018 as you did in 2017 (January 3rd & 4th week). But i'm planning to do Darjeeling, Entire Sikkim (Pelling - Lachung - Lachen - Gangtok) exit via East Sikkim (the old Silk route) and do Bhutan and Tawang as well. I'll be driving my New Ford Endeavour 3.2 4x4.

I have few questions

How probable is it that I may not get permits from Mangan? If I do manage to do so, where to get permits for Gurudongmar Lake?

Did you not visit Katao? And if not why did you miss it?

I've listed Yumthang, Zero Point (Yumesamdong), Katao, Thangu Valley, Chopta Valley and Gurudongmar Lake. Anything other important places that I have left out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:02   #27
BHPian

Please see my response inline -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Thats am amazing travelogue and very insightful for me as i'm also planning to do North Sikkim during almost the same dates in 2018 as you did in 2017 (January 3rd & 4th week). But i'm planning to do Darjeeling, Entire Sikkim (Pelling - Lachung - Lachen - Gangtok) exit via East Sikkim (the old Silk route) and do Bhutan and Tawang as well. I'll be driving my New Ford Endeavour 3.2 4x4.

I have few questions

How probable is it that I may not get permits from Mangan? If I do manage to do so, where to get permits for Gurudongmar Lake?

>> Only you have to convince the officer that you have hill drive experience and you are very confidence in it.

Did you not visit Katao? And if not why did you miss it?

>> As I know, Katao permission is not available for civilian any more. However you can go till last camp gate and request for a visit. Even from the last gate you will get very good view.

I've listed Yumthang, Zero Point (Yumesamdong), Katao, Thangu Valley, Chopta Valley and Gurudongmar Lake. Anything other important places that I have left out?

>> Are you planing for night stay at Thangu?

Thanks in advance.
PointZero is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 02:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
Please see my response inline -
I'm planning to stay two nights in Lachung and two nights in Lachen. Following is my planned itinerary.

Day 7: Pelling - Singshore Bridge - Pelling (44 kms - 2 hrs)
Pelling - Mangan (126 kms 5 hrs),

Day 8: Mangan (Last Fuel Pump), Permit @ District Administration Centre - Lachung (53 kms - 3 hrs)

Day 9: Lachung - Hot Springs - Yumthang - Zero Point (Yumesamdong) - Back to Lachung (100 kms - 7 hrs)

Day 10: Lachung - Katao - Lachung (Totally 50 kms - 3 hrs)
Lachung - Lachen (52 kms - 4 hrs)

Day 11: Lachen - Thangu Valley (32 kms)- Chopta Valley (5 Kms) - Gurudongmar Lake (32kms, Before 12@ the check post) - Tso Lhamo Lake (10 kms) - Back to Lachen (Totally 132 kms - 10 hrs)

Day 12: Lachen - Seven Sister Falls - Gangtok (130 kms - 6 hrs)

Day 13: Gangtok - Permits for North Sikkim, Zoologikal Park

Day 14: Gangtok -Tsomgo Lake - Nathula - Kupup - Elephant Lake View point -Tukla Valley - Nathang valley - Lungthung View Point - Thambi View Point - Zuluk loops - Zuluk - Rongli - Aritar (140 kms - 8 hrs)

Do you suggest any changes in my itinerary?
Old 17th October 2017, 21:14   #29
BHPian

Just Two Suggestions from my side:

1. You can stay at Singhik instead of staying at Mangan. There you will get better sunrise view.

2. Hope day 13 permit is for East Sikkim, not North. For day 14, instead of staying at Aritar you can stay either in Gnathang or Zuluk. After going through Gnathang and Zuluk the Aritar lake will look bit artificial (Personal opinion). Also with 8 hours drive time you will not get enough time to enjoy the place.

Please check the view from Singhik in my North Sikkim Blog - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3986249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
I'm planning to stay two nights in Lachung and two nights in Lachen. Following is my planned itinerary.

Day 7: Pelling - Singshore Bridge - Pelling (44 kms - 2 hrs)
Pelling - Mangan (126 kms 5 hrs),

Day 8: Mangan (Last Fuel Pump), Permit @ District Administration Centre - Lachung (53 kms - 3 hrs)

Day 9: Lachung - Hot Springs - Yumthang - Zero Point (Yumesamdong) - Back to Lachung (100 kms - 7 hrs)

Day 10: Lachung - Katao - Lachung (Totally 50 kms - 3 hrs)
Lachung - Lachen (52 kms - 4 hrs)

Day 11: Lachen - Thangu Valley (32 kms)- Chopta Valley (5 Kms) - Gurudongmar Lake (32kms, Before 12@ the check post) - Tso Lhamo Lake (10 kms) - Back to Lachen (Totally 132 kms - 10 hrs)

Day 12: Lachen - Seven Sister Falls - Gangtok (130 kms - 6 hrs)

Day 13: Gangtok - Permits for North Sikkim, Zoologikal Park

Day 14: Gangtok -Tsomgo Lake - Nathula - Kupup - Elephant Lake View point -Tukla Valley - Nathang valley - Lungthung View Point - Thambi View Point - Zuluk loops - Zuluk - Rongli - Aritar (140 kms - 8 hrs)

Do you suggest any changes in my itinerary?
PointZero is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 19:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone, I will be in Sikkim from 15th Nov to 25th Nov and will have my car - Innova. I just wanted suggestion on what would be the top 5 things that a person should do in Sikkim. I will be accompanied by elders as well as a small kid, so I wouldn't be able to do anything that tests our endurance.

Another question I have: If I spread my stay between Kalimpong, Peling, Gangtok and Darjeeling and visit places in 50 kms of each, what would I miss?

Please help with your suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks