Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2017, 22:34   #16
BHPian

re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Day 7 (Kathmandu -> Bardibas):

In my plan, I had kept two days for Kathmandu but my actual experience in this capital was not very pleasant and thought of spending that extra day in my country’s hill station, Darjeeling. Before that, we visited Durbar Squre and other nearby places and all of us desired to witness the sunset at Bhakatpur. The entrance cost scandalized me because it was 800 NRS/per head for Bhakatapur Dabar Square. I am sorry but I could not shell out so much of money for this place. Never mind with this money we can spend a splendid day at Darjeeling.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-img_20170310_074202.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-img_20170310_074207.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-img_20170310_074213.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-img_20170310_074235.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-img_20170310_074455.jpg
Random snaps at Kathmandu Durbar Square​

Narrow road to Kathmandu Durbar Square​

Some random snaps on BP Highway .. Wonderful drive experience

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2754.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2755.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2756.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2769.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2780.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2804.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2816.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2825.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2831.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2836.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2837.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2838.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2840.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2848.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2851.jpg

Some random snaps on BP Highway .. Wonderful drive experience and beautiful valleys in either side

To be continued ...

PointZero is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 22:55   #17
BHPian

Day 7 continued ....

BP Highway, Nepal

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2852.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2855.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2860.jpg
Some more snaps of BP Highway

On the way back, as we were approaching the border area we could feel the heat of the tension going on between two countries. If you have gone through the recent resentment news between India and Nepal, you would know that the killing of Nepali national Govinda Gautam due to “firing opened by the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)” on 9th March, 2017 at the Nepal-India border near Anandabazar in Kanchanpur district has closed all the movements of people at all border crossing.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2864.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2869.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2908.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2878.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2884.jpg
Lunch @ Highway Dhaba

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2891.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2902.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2917.jpg
At the lower altitude the same highway goes through a forest.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-screenshot_20170310125301.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-screenshot_20170310125727.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-screenshot_20170310133021.jpg
BP highway in GPS view

At Mahottari Nepal Police stopped us. Already agitation has started and they said that they would be leaving the vehicles after 5 PM. It would not be safe to leave after 5 PM because we will not be able to reach Bagdogra and there is no other place to put up at beyond this place.

Incident News: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/57576172.cms

Therefore, we stayed at Hotel Gautam at Mahottari Nepal for the day. It would be necessary to leave early next morning to avoid any kind of up-rest.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-route_map_day_07.jpg
Route Map for Day 7.

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 4th May 2017 at 23:17.
PointZero is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 23:10   #18
BHPian

Day 8 (Mahottari -> Jamui):

We started early but still could not reach Kolkata the same day. There were so many obstacles that at a point of time we started feeling depressed. We traveled like a trespasser through muddy paddy fields and hay huts along the pond-side path. As we entered Indian border the Indian soldier were amused to see a West Bengal registered car coming out of huts. They scrutinized the car as a part of their duty and asked us to leave the border area as soon as possible.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2932.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2940.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2943.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2946.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2950.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2951.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2952.jpg
last few KM of Nepal.. Going towards India Border

Road towards unknown India-Nepal border

From there we literally ran but then another obstacle was already in the vicinity. A strong creaking noise was coming from the rear wheels and I could not make out the cause. I tried calling all mechanics in my contact to understand if I can continue driving but everyone said to get it checked. Having no option searched for the nearest Mahindra service center and this delayed the ETA with another 2 hours. Even with thorough check, no fault was found and during the trial drive, only the sound was gone. Alas! We reached Muzafarpur to collect my driving license. On Holi day entering Bihar should always be out of question but had no choice because the hotel staffs were obstinate enough to send the DL through courier in-spite of agreeing to bear the full cost of couriering. I was feeling like banging my head while moving through the area beyond Muzafarpur. Ultimately, after wasting hours standing at the railway crossing and then another several hours crossing through the market areas, we somehow reached Jamui around 7 PM.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-2017_0312_082919_003.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-2017_0312_083348_006.jpg
Road to Jamui after crossing border.

Just spent the night there because an owner of the petrol pump there said that we are not going to get any hotel after this and the roads are not very good.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-route_map_day_08.jpg
Route Map for Day 8

Day 8 (Jamui -> Kolkata):
Nothing special for the day, reached home at 3:00 PM smoothly.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2955.jpg
Near Durgapur, NH-2

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-2017_0312_153619_006.jpg
Home Sweet Home

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-route_map_day_09.jpg
Route map for day 09.

The total distance was 2983 KM.

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-tkd_2504.jpg
Thank You,
PointZero
PointZero is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 23:51   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 01:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

What an amazing travelogue! The teaser pics were enough for me to rate it 5* and then read it further.

The pics are just too good, backed up by detailed informative narration. Thanks for a free virtual trip to Nepal.

Keep travelling & keep writing, will wait for many more to come.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 10:07   #21
BHPian

Re: Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail

Wow !! Fantastic TL Tutai. The photographs are amazing. As always, this has started an itch to do Muktinath now. Photos of Phewa lake, KTM, Durbar square bring back sweet memories of my numerous trips to Nepal.

Rated 5*

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 11:16   #22
BHPian

Wonderful write up brother. The videos were some edge of the seat stuff.
One quick question. Do we need to add nepal or bhutan to our insurance cover or is it covered by default?
Precision is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 15:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Very impressive trip explained very well in a write-up decorated with fabulous photos and videos. Hope I will be able to do something similar
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 19:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
[b]Day 3 continued ...
Beyond Beni the terrible stretch started. Dust and potholes swung us to and fro like a pendulum.
Excellently captured PointZero. Many thanks for sharing!

By the way, I was in Nepal last month itself and entered via the same Raxaul - Birganj border (after having stopped at Raxaul railway crossing for more than an hour, since it was closed) to go till Kathmandu. After some 70km from Birganj, even the road leading to Kathmandu (despite being the capital) was in a terrible condition. I had never seen such bad roads ever in my life. Indeed, no road at all and deep potholes full of dust. The road improved just 5km before the capital. There is no concept of expressways at all. All the roads are damn narrow. All the bridges are single lane (only one vehicle can pass at a time). I barely could find some 2-3 km of 4 lane section just after crossing Birganj while heading towards Hetoda for Kathmandu. In comparison, the infrastructure in India is 1000 times better.

Moreover, did you notice that many commercial diesel vehicles in Nepal, especially the trucks fearlessly, rather proudly make an extra dark cloud of smoke which often blocks the entire road making it a zero visibility. No authority is there to check such dangerous levels of pollution right there in Himalayas. I was too much worried about this. Yes, those "praharis" (cops) keep a good check on the vehicles for complete documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
In my plan, I had kept two days for Kathmandu but my actual experience in this capital was not very pleasant and thought of spending that extra day in my country’s hill station, Darjeeling. Before that, we visited Durbar Squre and other nearby places and all of us desired to witness the sunset at Bhakatpur.
Very much agree. There isn't much in Kathmandu for two days. Even half a day is enough.

IMO, driving in Nepal isn't a pleasure. Nature and scenic beauty of course is. Thanks.

"AMA BUWA KO AASHIRBAD"

Cheers,
Simmi

Last edited by Nohonking : 5th May 2017 at 20:12.
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 20:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Phenomenal travelogue! Loved every foot of your drive!

Do you feel a motorcycle can make this trip to muktinath, and back?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 23:30   #26
BHPian

Thanks //M.

That is the reason that I have recorded so many videos of the road of mustang valley. Hope now everyone who is planning to have a trip in this area will get enough information about the road condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wow a travelogue on Lower Mustang Valley.

I have been thinking of doing the Lower Mustang and Manang cicuit since last 3-4 years. But as you said, there is seriously a lack of proper information about the place over the web. I started researching but gave up and the plan never took off.

Recently I had an interaction with a biker who did Lower Mustang, he showed me some amazing videos and pics from his trip. The itch to ride all the way to Lower Mustang is at an all-time high now.

Thanks for the teaser. I'll be glued to this thread.
Thanks narsi_6989

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Something hot brewing up in the cold Mustang . The teasers are amazing and waiting for more. Time and again T-BHP is proving that it is an encyclopedia for anything and everything which is even remotely connected to wheels. This log is going to give loads of details about the Lower Mustang just like the log by //M gave lots of insights about Iceland.

I have been collecting lots of information about places around the world from Team BHP. This has been my one stop shop. The lack of time and finances is hampering my plans though. Hope to tick the boxes one by one.
Thanks Samba,
You are really fast man. Every time within couple of hours after completing the blog you complete reading it. I am overwhelmed by your appreciation and looking forward to deliver with such travelogues in future. Thanks again for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What an amazing travelogue! The teaser pics were enough for me to rate it 5* and then read it further.

The pics are just too good, backed up by detailed informative narration. Thanks for a free virtual trip to Nepal.

Keep travelling & keep writing, will wait for many more to come.
Thanks Pawan Da for providing all details about different places of Nepal on the go. So is your next destination Muktinath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wow !! Fantastic TL Tutai. The photographs are amazing. As always, this has started an itch to do Muktinath now. Photos of Phewa lake, KTM, Durbar square bring back sweet memories of my numerous trips to Nepal.

Rated 5*

Regards,

Pawan

Thanks for the appreciation. Frankly speaking I had just dropped a mail to royal sundaram before going on the trip. But unfortunately I have not received any response till date. Maybe I can followup the mail for you for more details. But it depends from company to company. And during Bhutan trip also I did not take any special cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
Wonderful write up brother. The videos were some edge of the seat stuff.
One quick question. Do we need to add nepal or bhutan to our insurance cover or is it covered by default?
Thanks gadadhar. I will love to see your blog on the same route. I must say just go for it and you will love the landscapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Very impressive trip explained very well in a write-up decorated with fabulous photos and videos. Hope I will be able to do something similar

Thanks Nohonking. Actually the buses and trucks were irritating me to drive uphill from Raxual to Pokhara. I was not aware of Kathmandu that much so I kept a buffer day in my plan considering anything unexpected.
I do not prefer easy accessible places for road trips, because tourist crowd destroy the serenity of the place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Excellently captured PointZero. Many thanks for sharing!

By the way, I was in Nepal last month itself and entered via the same Raxaul - Birganj border (after having stopped at Raxaul railway crossing for more than an hour, since it was closed) to go till Kathmandu. After some 70km from Birganj, even the road leading to Kathmandu (despite being the capital) was in a terrible condition. I had never seen such bad roads ever in my life. Indeed, no road at all and deep potholes full of dust. The road improved just 5km before the capital. There is no concept of expressways at all. All the roads are damn narrow. All the bridges are single lane (only one vehicle can pass at a time). I barely could find some 2-3 km of 4 lane section just after crossing Birganj while heading towards Hetoda for Kathmandu. In comparison, the infrastructure in India is 1000 times better.

Moreover, did you notice that many commercial diesel vehicles in Nepal, especially the trucks fearlessly, rather proudly make an extra dark cloud of smoke which often blocks the entire road making it a zero visibility. No authority is there to check such dangerous levels of pollution right there in Himalayas. I was too much worried about this. Yes, those "praharis" (cops) keep a good check on the vehicles for complete documentation.

Very much agree. There isn't much in Kathmandu for two days. Even half a day is enough.

IMO, driving in Nepal isn't a pleasure. Nature and scenic beauty of course is. Thanks.

"AMA BUWA KO AASHIRBAD"

Cheers,
Simmi
Thanks Red Liner.
As per my experience it will be easier for a bike. There are many places where you will get narrow bridges for bike but cars have no choice other than driving through the riverbed. Two of my friends from Kolkata went to Muktinath on bike. If they allow me I can share some pictures from their trip. My suggestion would be to carry gumboot and raincoat to cope with mud and rain in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

PointZero is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:21   #27
BHPian

Oops.. missed the video from Jomsom to Tatopani, Day 4 part 2.

PointZero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 10:45   #28
BHPian

Hi Red Liner,

I am sharing a facebook album link of the bike trip I was talking about. I have also asked Sayantan Da to make the album public. Also attaching some snaps here.

Album Link - https://www.facebook.com/sayantan.ge...5609292&type=3

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-740040_10152035602704293_1834225790_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-882037_10152047839414293_2053678091_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1397291_10151988475024293_300660343_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1397330_10151985806334293_1639899569_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1401340_10152006612814293_904039366_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1401662_10152038762049293_825661837_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1402886_10152004807639293_581622198_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1412586_10152021690009293_1920438791_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1465888_10151972600634293_1116365589_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1486153_10152076753064293_1062125967_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1493307_10152050660834293_717610035_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1501465_10152064625144293_218829684_o.jpg

Nepal: Driving expedition through the trekking trail-1483478_10152080929704293_766675650_o.jpg
Picture Credit - Sayantan Mandal (https://www.facebook.com/sayantan.geo)

Thank you Sayantan Da for sharing pictures and allowing me to upload in TeamBhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

PointZero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 11:04   #29
BHPian

Very well documented and with great photographs. Shall save this as a trip planner when ( and if) i make the trip to Nepal. Thank you for sharing.

What about mobile connectivity? Is INR accepted everywhere? Is it safe in the interiors? and do we have to take car insurance?
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 11:40   #30
BHPian

Thanks earthian,

Mobile: I took a SIM of NAMASTE mobile from Pokhara with proper documentation. It takes 1 and half hour to get activated. There is no such connectivity issue other than Mustang Valley. In mustang vallley Tatopani, Jomsom is under network coverage. However good thing is internet connectivity. All the hotels, restaurant, car washing center, coffee shop has free WiFi. During the trip I made mostly Whatsapp calls to home.

INR: Yes, INR is accepted everywhere other than very few small roadside tea-shops. 1 INR = 1.6 NC. Try to keep Rs. 100/- notes. Other than big hotels 500/- and 2000/- notes are not accepted by small shop / restaurants. After 2015 all Indian notes are legal now no such govt. restrictions.

Safety: Mustang valley is famous for trekking and its full of foreigners. So I think there will not be any issue regarding safety in mustang valley side. Rather you may find some board like "We are back-off India" on the way from Pokhara to Kathmandu. But administration is helpful for Indians.

Insurance:
Its not mandatory. Better to consult your insurance company whether they will cover or not. I mailed to my insurance company before going on the trip. But unfortunately I have not received any response till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Very well documented and with great photographs. Shall save this as a trip planner when ( and if) i make the trip to Nepal. Thank you for sharing.

What about mobile connectivity? Is INR accepted everywhere? Is it safe in the interiors? and do we have to take car insurance?
PointZero is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks