Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 21:51   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

Absolutely fascinating travelogue supported with great pictures!

I would say it's a great feat, especially when you're in a zone (mostly) looks almost like a no man's land.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2017 at 23:00.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

A poem by Robert Frost may perhaps mark your experience.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
Very well said and truly apt!

This is probably the 4th time I read this T'Log and each time, I find it more exciting.
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 22:40   #48
BHPian

Epic travelogue and of a place that hasn't been documented. Like many others have said, this is one of the best travelogues I have read in a long long time.

Wonderful pictures as well. Many thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 01:33   #49
BHPian

Great piece of writing. And as you have mentioned, Lo Manthang won't be the same after a couple of years as Nepal recently signed OBOR. Similarly, since the closure of the Tatopani check-post after the earthquake, Nepal has been enthusiastically looking forward to upgrade Korala border (the Nepal-China border where you had been to) for trade purpose which will further modernize the otherwise ancient, historical town.

Apart from the awesome pictures, the details presented are elaborate and precise. The information should be able to help anyone planning to visit upper Mustang. While there is nothing more to add in this regard, there's some interesting facts to upper Mustang. Until recently, Lo Manthang had its own king who was recognized by His Majesty government of Nepal. When monarchy got dissolved in Nepal in 2008, the official monarchical status of King Jigme Palbar Bista of Lo Manthang automatically got nullified. Yet, he was revered there and was called "mustange raja". He passed away a few months ago.

Similarly, though Nepal is said to be located to the south of the Himalayas, the two districts viz. Manang and Mustang are to the north of Himalayas and hence, so much in common with Tibet.

I've trekked a part of Annapurna Circuit back in 2002 and in 2011, but I'm yet to visit Lo Manthang though I had always wanted to. Being a Nepalese myself, its so embarrassing to admit this when adventurers drive there all the way from Mumbai!

Cheers!
amitjha086 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 08:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post

I have two questions:
  1. What is the time window to do this trip?
  2. I see you have the Ironman setup. How difficult is this circuit for a stock Fortuner (4x4 AT)? I have done some off-roading in my TFort but no hardcore stuff yet.
Answers to your questions
1. Time window: Late March to End May

2. Stock Fortuner with All Terrain Tyres will do it. I would recommend another driver/spotter and ideally another vehicle as backup/companion if not very experienced on hill terrain.

We took a lot of equipment: Sand ladders, extra tyres, air filter but fortunately did not require to use anything.

The roads are quite treacherous at places.
The day we were returning, a bus went down near Kagbeni and some people were killed and many injured.

But it is worth the effort, drive, money. The photos dont do justice. At one point we stopped taking photos and just looked in jaw dropping amazement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Absolutely fascinating travelogue supported with great pictures!

I would say it's a great feat, especially when you're in a zone (mostly) looks almost like a no man's land.
Thanks Rudra. Coming from you its a great compliment.
Actually, I think WE were in a zone.
From the trip almost not happening to meeting the right people, making it back safely before time without a scratch it is like it was destined and we were blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I believe that's the Garmin 2567LM right? I have one too and its just amazing with smartphone connectivity and all.
Close. Its actually a 2597. Was used to make sure that we came back the way we went and for stats.
Maps dont exist for that region beyond beni.
There are some trekker maps online till Muktinath.

Last edited by genesis : 1st June 2017 at 09:08.
genesis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 09:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
1. Time window: Late March to End May
Oh, that is sad to know. I was hoping to do this year. What would be the issue now? Rains?

Quote:
2. Stock Fortuner with All Terrain Tyres will do it. I would recommend another driver/spotter and ideally another vehicle as backup/companion if not very experienced on hill terrain.

We took a lot of equipment: Sand ladders, extra tyres, air filter but fortunately did not require to use anything.

The roads are quite treacherous at places.
The day we were returning, a bus went down near Kagbeni and some people were killed and many injured.

But it is worth the effort, drive, money. The photos dont do justice. At one point we stopped taking photos and just looked in jaw dropping amazement
Thanks for the tip. Quite a preparation required there. Brilliant stuff you guys have done man!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 09:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Oh, that is sad to know. I was hoping to do this year. What would be the issue now? Rains?
Yes the rains would lead to landslides and soon the rivers would be full and not crossable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

A poem by Robert Frost may perhaps mark your experience.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
Thanks. This describes best the spirit of the trip. Ladakh is now like Chandni Chowk, Spiti was done to death this year. Was time to explore beyond.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st June 2017 at 10:21. Reason: merging back to back posts
genesis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 10:13   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Awestruck!!

You guys are an inspiration to all. Amazing travelogue and stunning pictures. I'm amazed at the fact that there are so many places nearer to my home still I'm unaware of these .

Beautiful, marvelous. I just can't describe in words.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 15:13   #54
BHPian

An epic in every sense of the word! I am in office, first day of the month, and I just couldn't stop till I finished the travelogue, end to end! So much for weekday productivity The photographs were indeed mind blowing, and I can only imagine how it would have been to be amidst the fascinating landscape.

Realistically, though the heart yearns, the mind says that a Mustang visit for me maybe a stuff of dreams. For that reason alone, this travelogue and many such unique adventures logged on TeamBHP, serve as a portal for virtual travel for readers.

Thanks for bringing "Lo Manthang" to us!
AshyRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 15:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jay

What an awesome travelogue, man! Very well put together and great pics. This is how an overlanding trip should be. Your travelogue will serve as an inspiration to many who plan to do this kind of trip, in these regions. Cheers mate, to you and to genesis, and I am in love with Gabru!

EDIT: So you continued to put your trust in Cross-Contacts afterall. Good to see that. Now that you have used them previously in their old sidewall styling and in the new look as well, do you see any difference that you may want to highlight? I love these continentals, however in my next tire change, I may very well go for BF GoodRich KO2s, to witness what the fuss is all about this rubber.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 1st June 2017 at 15:41.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 17:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

Hi Jay

What an awesome travelogue, man! Very well put together and great pics. This is how an overlanding trip should be. Your travelogue will serve as an inspiration to many who plan to do this kind of trip, in these regions. Cheers mate, to you and to genesis, and I am in love with Gabru!

EDIT: So you continued to put your trust in Cross-Contacts afterall. Good to see that. Now that you have used them previously in their old sidewall styling and in the new look as well, do you see any difference that you may want to highlight? I love these continentals, however in my next tire change, I may very well go for BF GoodRich KO2s, to witness what the fuss is all about this rubber.
Thanks for the appreciation.
The Contis were selected due to a lack of a better option. Although the tire is robust and has good grip in wet offroad conditions, the tread depth is lesser than when launched initially and the sidewalls arent good for rocky terrain.
Apart from the tread design Bfg tires have some of the best sidewalls in the business which is why offroad and overlanding enthusiasts swear by it. However the tire compound is much harder compared to the Contis.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 17:37   #57
BHPian

Sir

Awesome travelogue and sincere appreciation for bringing to us these visuals. I have a few queries :
1. As mentioned by you , the window to visit is very small with rains being a main factor , how would you rate the slot of Oct-Jan for a visit.
2. what is the distance between Kagbeni to Lo Mangthang.
3. The permit cost mentioned is for two persons or individual person. Can it be extended right at the beginning itself ?
4. could you share contact details of individuals like the guide , tea houses /guest houses etc in order to save the same for the future.
5. do u recommend any agency who would arrange transport from Kagbeni ?

Regards

sumit
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 00:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Sir

Awesome travelogue and sincere appreciation for bringing to us these visuals. I have a few queries :
1. As mentioned by you , the window to visit is very small with rains being a main factor , how would you rate the slot of Oct-Jan for a visit.
2. what is the distance between Kagbeni to Lo Mangthang.
3. The permit cost mentioned is for two persons or individual person. Can it be extended right at the beginning itself ?
4. could you share contact details of individuals like the guide , tea houses /guest houses etc in order to save the same for the future.
5. do u recommend any agency who would arrange transport from Kagbeni ?

Regards

sumit
Thanks for the appreciation Sumit.
In reply to ur queries -
1. Oct to Jan is snowed out and access is shut to Lo manthang.
2. About 75kms
3. Cost mentioned per person. Im not sure of the extension process.
4. Lots of accomodation available along the way. We did not store details. Any agency from Pokhara or Kagbeni should be able to help u when u decide to travel.
5. U will need to arrange feom Pokhara or Jomsom. Kagbeni is a small village.

Cheers.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:53   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Hehehe..... High speed posts not allowed on TBhp....! You got around that!

That said amazing trip and narrative. Share gpx tracks for others to follow.

Last edited by sudev : 2nd June 2017 at 07:57.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:03   #60
BHPian

Please let me suggest a small correction. The woman in the picture is not using a hand-pump, rather she is using a specialized Tibetan device to make Tibetan Salted Tea. I was aware of the photo the first time I went through the travelogue and jotted down my comments (post #49) but deferred to comment on the photo until I got it confirmed from a Tibetan friend of mine, who hails right from Manang, an adjoining district and as exotic as Mustang. I made a trip to his village in Manang back in 2011. More on that trip in the following link:
http://kathmandupost.ekantipur.com/n...g-diaries.html
Attached Thumbnails
Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang-handpump.jpg  

amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks