Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 23:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

with you that Muktinath is very popular destination. I am feeling very happy to learn from you that only 2-4 Indian 2WD vehicles have visited the terrain till now as stated in the largest automobile forum.

As I did not visit Lo Manthang and the Kora La, I was reading this part in details. I think it's really helpful for everyone who will plan for Mustang Valley trip in future.

Regards -
PointZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Hi Pointzero.
Thanks for sharing your travelogue. Excellent pics and narration.
Muktinath is a popular destination on the religious pilgrimage circuit. After our trip i found of 2 others who have driven to Muktinath in 2wds in 2016.
However as I mentioned earlier, im yet to know of anyone who has driven to Lo Manthang and the Kora La border in an Indian vehicle prior to us. Let me know if u find anyone who has.
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 22:33   #77
BHPian

Well , everything wrt adulation , praise, jawdropping sentiments and what not has already been covered and conveyed by much more accomplished folks with more travel stories beneath their hoods.

All i can say is that this was an absolute pleasure to go through the TL , to feel the raw, untamed desire in actually charting a path , where paths dont exist. Super , my respects and congratulations

This is opening up a new chapter in the wanderlust stricken community of Tbhp-ians , who were earlier getting Leh'd , now to look at a different more challenging and enriching experience , apart from the Leh, Spiti circuit.

Thank you both @jaysmokesandleaves and @genesis for taking this journey, and thank you for posting this and allowing us to virtually feel the thrill of travelling with you. Inspiring!!!
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 19:34   #78
BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves

What a trip! I have been reading all the comments and ovbiously trip log too. So, below is the first lot of my set of queries:

1. Doable on a Continental GT? Doable on a Domi?
2. Can I do it solo? If yes, advisable?
3. Details about permits. Cost, procedure, documents, where to get?
4. Number of days ex-delhi considering my last longest run was 1150km on a Domi from Muzaffarpur to Delhi on day 13 of my East-West Bhutan Circuit.

Thanks in advance.
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 15:31   #79
BHPian

Just one word for the travelogue, Wow!

Did you get to see the Dhaulagiri and Annapura summits from road anywhere in the journey?
I have heard that Dhaulagiri is visible from Gorakhpur on a clear day.
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 16:30   #80
BHPian

Wow...This is what I was looking for. A roadtrip to Upper and Lower mustang.

Thanks for the guide, the pictures are as good as your writing.
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 18:55   #81
BHPian

Very nice and inspiring travelogue. Please let me know if one has to take permit for all 10 days and for $500, or less days can be opted for with less amount. And by chance if the days are increase then where do you pay the extra amount.
Soumik Ghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 19:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumik Ghosh View Post
Very nice and inspiring travelogue. Please let me know if one has to take permit for all 10 days and for $500, or less days can be opted for with less amount. And by chance if the days are increase then where do you pay the extra amount.
Hi Soumik
Just saw this note. Guess you now have the answer since we met in the middle of nowhere in Spiti. It is a very small world!
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 20:16   #83
BHPian

Answers Inline. Am not a biker but know enough from friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
@jaysmokesleaves

What a trip! I have been reading all the comments and ovbiously trip log too. So, below is the first lot of my set of queries:

1. Doable on a Continental GT? Doable on a Domi?
Wont comment on doability since it depends a lot on the rider. Need a light agile bike with knobbed tyres.

2. Can I do it solo? If yes, advisable?

Need minimum two people in group for permits. Not advisable solo

3. Details about permits. Cost, procedure, documents, where to get?

All in the travelog

4. Number of days ex-delhi considering my last longest run was 1150km on a Domi from Muzaffarpur to Delhi on day 13 of my East-West Bhutan Circuit.

10 days odd

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by genesis : 20th April 2018 at 20:17. Reason: highlights
Old 30th June 2018, 03:50   #84
BHPian

First of all what an Epic trip. Upper and lower Mustang unquestionably reminds a lot of Spiti. The China border part reminds me so much of 2017 BumLa drive from Hyderabad. I can understand the ardour of being so close to not so friendly territory. But the decision attached in bringing your vehicle 200m or even closer to the border is understandable.

I have plans of doing this circuit this October or December in a Duster AWD. The deterrence of not doing this in an AWD is bit concerning but will surely try. I think I will go with snorkel for the Duster AWD specially to avoid the road blocks by landslides. The permit part is very detailed, thanks, bit dicey at the same time, I heard similar things while climbing BumLa. Kind of becoming a unfortunate trait in the Hills these days.

Thanks a lot for sharing a very detailed blog
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
-
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
-
. Looking forward to more epic trips from this team.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 08:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Seriously amazing and an awesome travelogue. I read from start to finish. You guys must have had such an amazing experience.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
First of all what an Epic trip. Upper and lower Mustang unquestionably reminds a lot of Spiti. The China border part reminds me so much of 2017 BumLa drive from Hyderabad. I can understand the ardour of being so close to not so friendly territory. But the decision attached in bringing your vehicle 200m or even closer to the border is understandable.

I have plans of doing this circuit this October or December in a Duster AWD. The deterrence of not doing this in an AWD is bit concerning but will surely try. I think I will go with snorkel for the Duster AWD specially to avoid the road blocks by landslides. The permit part is very detailed, thanks, bit dicey at the same time, I heard similar things while climbing BumLa. Kind of becoming a unfortunate trait in the Hills these days.

Thanks a lot for sharing a very detailed blog and . Looking forward to more epic trips from this team.
Thanks. More stuff coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Seriously amazing and an awesome travelogue. I read from start to finish. You guys must have had such an amazing experience.
Glad u liked it. Few more blockbusters in the offing.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 19:38   #87
BHPian

Very difficult to describe this travelogue. It is a courageous decision to do that. Hats off to all!

With no 4WD, I don't even keep this place in my list! LOL!
Payaniga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 22:13   #88
BHPian

Wow.. That's one amazing travelogue and just the one that I needed. I and my friends had just recently started discussions on a potential Nepal trip next year. The moment I started reading this epic account, I immediately shared it with my buddies - such was the impact it created right from the start. Glad that we now have a first hand reference and a guide right here. Your travelogue is going to serve as the guiding light for many other trips in the future.

By the way, how good/bad is the self-drive/self-ride rented vehicle scene in Nepal? We were thinking of hiring bikes and support cars in Nepal for our trip.
sharatravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 15:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharatravan View Post
Wow.. That's one amazing travelogue and just the one that I needed. I and my friends had just recently started discussions on a potential Nepal trip next year. The moment I started reading this epic account, I immediately shared it with my buddies - such was the impact it created right from the start. Glad that we now have a first hand reference and a guide right here. Your travelogue is going to serve as the guiding light for many other trips in the future.

By the way, how good/bad is the self-drive/self-ride rented vehicle scene in Nepal? We were thinking of hiring bikes and support cars in Nepal for our trip.
Thanks Sharatravan.
We saw lots of self riding bikes on the trip. the same people who rent bikes will be able to provide you with support vehicles.
A google search for these in Pokhara should throw up quite a few options.
Katmandu might have more but then see if you can find someone who rents off Pokhara, since its closer to the route you will take.
All the best.

Cheers,
Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks