Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 01:47   #1
BHPian

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!

While we were still soaked in the aroma of the hills http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-valparai.html it was time for our Blue Bolt to enter the jungles of Tadoba Andhari Tiger reserve, one of the largest national parks of Maharashtra.

This was a very short visit and we planned to do only 4 safaris for which the tickets were booked online in March. Below is the itinerary.

Dates: 5th June, 2017 - 7th June, 2017
Accommodation: MTDC Moharli
Safari: 5th June evening - Moharli zone
6th June morning - Moharli zone
6th June evening - Moharli zone
7th June morning - Junona zone

Routes, onward and return: Hyderabad-Siddipet-Karimnagar-Ramagundam-Mancherial-Asifabad-Balharshah-Chandrapur-Moharli MTDC (appx 400kms one way)
Road condition: Very good.

Name:  Route map.png
Views: 10812
Size:  207.5 KB

Each Safari cost: 1285 (entry with camera and processing fees)+2000 (Gypsy)+300 (guide fees) = 3585 Rs

Links: http://www.mahaecotourism.gov.in/Sit...eBooking1.aspx
https://mtdcrrs.maharashtratourism.g...unt/Login.aspx

Camera Gear: Nikon D3400 Digital Camera Kit (Black) with Lens AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR + AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR

Day 1: 5th June, 2017, Evening Safari: Moharli Zone

Started from Hyderabad at 4.00 AM to be on time for our evening safari. Reached Moharli at 12 PM, had our lunch, took some rest before we set out for our first safari. I requested the person at reception of the resort to arrange for a vehicle and was done within minutes.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0524.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0522.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0540.jpg

We reached the Moharli gate where I had to show the identification proofs against my safari booking. Took few minutes for this process to complete and then we were allowed to get into.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0544.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0557.jpg

We made up our minds to enjoy the landscape of the forest and admire all the sightings that come our way without just waiting for the big cat to appear.
Our guide informed that the tiger had killed 2 gaur's at a spot and we straight away dashed to that point hopping to get a sight of the tiger.

The Kill: 1 & 2

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0560.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0570.jpg

And here it is resting after a hearty meal.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0565.jpg

We waited for more than an hour for the tiger to come out of its slumber and give us a proper show but in vain. We moved on to the rest of the spots inside the forest and spotted the other equally important residents. This was the only tiger sighting for the day.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0614.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0621.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0626.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0631.jpg

Day 2: 6th June, 2017 Morning safari: Moharli Zone

Woke up early and were ready for our next safari. Little did we know that this could be the day of our lives, the day we were looking for. We were in Tadoba on same dates in 2016 and returned home disappointed having not seen even a single tiger. But this day had sketched a perfect, everlasting memory for us for many years to come. It was as if we were gifted for keeping faith and returning exactly after an year.

All excited for the morning safari.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0642.jpg

We went to the same place where there was a kill as there are lot more chances of sighting the tiger in its vicinity. We were just entering the area and boy, there it was walking towards our jeep just few feet's away. It sat for few minutes before coming much nearer to our jeep and sat looking at us at just 5 feet's from our jeep. You could imagine the state we were in. Our blood was rushing, heart beat increased and we were trembling looking at it. After all it was just a jump away from us. We were in a state, were we could not even hold our camera properly and taking pictures is a far talk. My 3 year old daughter panicked looking at it but held her nerve and maintained her calm. She read that there are wild animals but this was the first time she was seeing that close. She simply stood in between us and refused to watch it any more.

Leaving for the pictures to talk.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0646.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0651.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0654.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0655.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0656.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0660.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0663.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0664.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0669.jpg

After this, she simple stood up came in front of our jeep, stared at us and crossed to the other side.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0670.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0671.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0675.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0677.jpg

Last edited by HighwayHopper : 21st July 2017 at 00:28.
HighwayHopper is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 23:35   #2
BHPian

re: Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!

We waited for few more minutes and drove away to other places inside the forest.

And yes they have all reasons to smile.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0692.jpg

This was the major sighting and honestly we did not expect anything more. Casually drove for the rest of the time looking and admiring other animals.

Pictures from rest of the safari.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0722.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0738.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0742.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0749.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0760.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0763.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0765.jpg

We returned to the resort, had breakfast, lunch and took some rest

Day 2: 6th June, 2017 Evening safari: Moharli Zone

Got ready by 2.45, got into the jeep and drove towards the entry gate. Followed the same verification process and we were let in at 3 PM.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0783.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0785.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0787.jpg

Since we had a hearty sighting in the morning, we decided not to visit the same spot again but instead search for other big cats. Our guide took us straight to Tadoba lake and wow there was "MAYA" waiting for us. Yes indeed..

Maya took rest under a tree for around an hour before she got into the lake, drank some water, cooled itself and disappeared in the bushes.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0796.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0799.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0803.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0809.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0818.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0822.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0827.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0854.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0874.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0885.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0896.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0899.jpg

We were lucky enough to have another sighting when we were returning. This tiger was actually stalking a wild boar but because of foolishness of another jeep driver, she got scared and quickly ran inside the bushes.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0907.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0911.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0912.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0913.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0917.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0923.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0935.jpg

The day had lot in offer for us and we could not ask for more. Returned to the resort, had dinner and just kept talking, talking and talking about the sightings and how lucky we were before we realized it was too late and we had to wake up early for our last safari.

Last edited by HighwayHopper : 21st July 2017 at 00:32.
HighwayHopper is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 00:13   #3
BHPian

re: Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!

Day 3: 7th June, 2017, Morning safari: Junona zone

Got up early, freshened up and were ready by 5.30 for our last safari. I had booked Junona (Buffer) zone after knowing there were good sightings. We could only see one tiger and was too far for us to capture. Went in search of Wagdoh male but couldn't spot it.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0984.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0987.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0988.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0989.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0990.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0991.jpg

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0992.jpg

Returned to the resort, had breakfast and checked out around 1 PM. Reached Chandrapur and had our lunch. Nothing great to talk about. Returned home late night and ended the trip on a happy note.

Yes we followed all the rules.

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0941.jpg

The team

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0980.jpg

Thanks again to my "Blue Bolt"

Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!-dsc_0970.jpg

Last edited by HighwayHopper : 21st July 2017 at 00:40.
HighwayHopper is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 11:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Blue Bolt: Hyderabad to Tadoba. Tigers spotted!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 24th July 2017, 09:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a great trip with some very good sightings. Congratulations!
Ironically, we just did Tadoba in June too. Drove down from Nagpur. However we set up camp at the Kolara gate.
The Reserve itself has really come up over the last few years because of massive sightings but boy its one dusty and bumpy track. We were there for 4 nights and did 7 Safaris. Frankly nothing else to do there. We managed to see Maya, Matkasur and Choti Tara with her 2 cubs.

Last edited by bigron : 24th July 2017 at 09:54.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 12:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!! You got your moneys worth and more i must say. I feel trips like these are eye openers for us. They make you realize how majestic nature is and at the same time how vulnerable. Mankind is hell bent on destroying it - sadly, with the support of the government. Our kids will probably never know what it is to co-exist with nature and experience the beauty of being in the midst of these beautiful creatures.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 11:38   #7
BHPian

June 6'2017 will forever remain etched in your memory, Highway Hopper ! Amazing sightings and thanks for sharing it on Team-BHP. The close up snaps of the Big cat at 5:59 AM & 6:01 AM are special. No words can truly convey the feelings, your family must have had sitting in the vehicle at those moment. Very lucky your kid handled the moment well. Truly memories for a lifetime !
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 13:22   #8
BHPian

Absolutely Amazing pictures boss. Makes me wanna go right now.

Anyways, how was the road? Can you give us more details on the road conditions, where to stop in between and similar details.

Why did you not take the NH (Adilabad) route?

Would OCT/NOV be a good time to visit?

Thank you.
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 00:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Looks like a great trip with some very good sightings. Congratulations!
Thank you bigron. Yes there is nothing to do after you are done with safari's. MTDC, Moharli has a small play area for kids to pass their time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Amazing!! You got your moneys worth and more i must say. I feel trips like these are eye openers for us. They make you realize how majestic nature is and at the same time how vulnerable. Mankind is hell bent on destroying it - sadly, with the support of the government. Our kids will probably never know what it is to co-exist with nature and experience the beauty of being in the midst of these beautiful creatures.
You are right Nilesh5417. We need to step up and sensitize atleast our kids. Make them understand how important nature is for us. They should never read them as extinct creatures. I take them to different places like forests, hill stations, back waters, few dams, archeological sites, temples and just the green fields to show them how beautiful the nature is and as humans what we can do to preserve this treasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
June 6'2017 will forever remain etched in your memory, Highway Hopper ! Amazing sightings and thanks for sharing it on Team-BHP. The close up snaps of the Big cat at 5:59 AM & 6:01 AM are special. No words can truly convey the feelings, your family must have had sitting in the vehicle at those moment. Very lucky your kid handled the moment well. Truly memories for a lifetime !
Thank you venkatt1800. Those close up snaps are very special for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Absolutely Amazing pictures boss. Makes me wanna go right now.

Anyways, how was the road? Can you give us more details on the road conditions, where to stop in between and similar details.

Why did you not take the NH (Adilabad) route?

Would OCT/NOV be a good time to visit?

Thank you.
Last year I took the Adilabad route and after Nirmal the road was all broken and the rest of the journey was not comfortable. While returning I took Mancherial-Hyderabad Highway and it was very good.

Hence this time too I took Karimnagar-Mancherial route. The road is smooth till Mancherial and thereafter it is mostly single highway but well maintained. Truck traffic is heavy on this route due to coal mines. Since I started early I stopped at Mancherial for breakfast and other few bio stops. You can stop at Karimnagar, Ramagundem, Mancherial and Balarshah for breaks.

Our guide said that during monsoons, the mud tracks which takes you much inside the forests are closed for safaris as jeeps may get stuck. Hence you are allowed only on the properly tarred road. So better not to visit during monsoons for sightings unless you want to enjoy the greenery inside. So it is better to visit anytime other than monsoons.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:19   #10
BHPian

Awesome trip there Highwayhopper. Tadoba always has something for everyone & will not send anyone empty handed. The first tigress you sighted with Gaur kill I guess is the Wagdoh female. A couple of of people whom I know also had got this sighting. If you can tell me the area around where you saw the tigress (the one after you saw Maya) stalking a wild boar, I may be able to tell you which Tigress it was.

Wish you many more of such exciting trips. Good luck.

Last edited by Torque123 : 3rd August 2017 at 13:23.
Old 16th August 2017, 20:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Awesome trip there Highwayhopper. Tadoba always has something for everyone & will not send anyone empty handed. The first tigress you sighted with Gaur kill I guess is the Wagdoh female. A couple of of people whom I know also had got this sighting. If you can tell me the area around where you saw the tigress (the one after you saw Maya) stalking a wild boar, I may be able to tell you which Tigress it was.

Wish you many more of such exciting trips. Good luck.
Yes, you are right Torque123. It was Wagdoh female. The other one as per our guide was Sonam's cub. We saw this just a few km's before the Moharli gate on the right side while returning from the safari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks