Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family

The last few weeks have been hectic. We needed a break.

Goa, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore - in reverse order. My work can involve travelling, and I do sometimes need to travel, to err, escape the travel. Anyway, my family being the proverbial rolling stones, we decided to gather moss away from home once again. Rolled the dice, hypnotized the Missus, dazzled the kids with the glorious ideal of the camping life...

Kids wanted to relax at home (spoiled rotten, they are), wife wanted peace and quiet, and so on. No-one was thinking of what poor Emma (my V-Cross 2017) wanted to do. As for me, I'm just the driver.
(I once dared to call my wife the 'cleaner'. That story - if ever it were told - could be a Bollywood potboiler).

Used my smooth selling skills and learnings from corporate life - to paint the big picture, think outside the box, take the high road, look for the long call, cut the cliches (!), blah blah blah. We are a talkative family, so this process took all week. FINALLY managed to get everyone out of their inertia, and locked our sights onto Cloudbase. Seemed the perfect place to unwind, relax, detox and join the multitude of city dwellers 'getting away from it all'. I find this works really well, till we all 'get back to it all', usually together, at the Khalapur toll.

Anyway, we are quite a roadworthy family, and very used to getting out of the house quickly - to leave the multitudes in our wake. This time, we got lazy, thinking of the 'short' 3 hour journey. Moved out from home at 9, and started with a leisurely breakfast at good old Tulsi veg (one of the few decent Udipis in our area). SURVIVAL TIP: when traveling with kids, keep them well-fed, in comfortable clothes, and with plastic bags handy. Eating and ghats don't mix, neither do liquids (soups, milk, juices).
Keep an hour between meals and winding roads, your car will thank you.

I once left Chembur with a full tank of petrol, and 2 kids topped up with milk. We had an Exorcist moment at Kharghar (20 mins away), with my 5 year old (at the time) spray painting the Figo interior a delightful white. We truly were the creamy layer, and Operation Flood came to mind. Never again. The kids are now exceptionally well-trained (only in this area). They can discretely puke their little guts out, at 80 kmph, or on a winding ghat road, silently, and with zero mess. Not that they need to do so very often, remember - 1 hour between meals and winding roads. Eating dry food which can be easily digested, helps. Fruit, veggies, dal / rice, curds are perfect. My mother heartily approves.

Yet - as a failed parent - I often drive through at McDonald's, and avoid hanging around India's fragrant food courts with attached restrooms.

Anyway, coming back to the trip at hand. Having completed our break-fast, we set off with the kids happily snoozing in the back seat. (THIS is why they must be fed!). Another SURVIVAL TIP (pun intended) - use a good car seat(s), age and weight appropriate for your kid(s). Not only will your little one(s) be safer in a crash, it also keeps them well restrained for the entire journey. Don't be the family that settles for the easy way out, and leaves the kids loose at the back. If you keep kids up front, you're just unaware or stupid (I'm sorry, but it's true). As the driver, it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your passengers - especially minors. You are also teaching your kids a great habit, and it is a wonderful educational opportunity of how to reduce risk when on the road.

I suggest something like this - good for most age groups, and helps to set the habit at an early age. Mothers facing separation anxiety, may sit next to the safely restrained child, wearing their own seatbelt. Fathers facing separation anxiety, hire a driver and sit next to the mother. Adults who chose to avoid seatbelts - keep a marigold garland handy, they may prefer that (I remember this from an email forward, from the days before WhatsApp).

My apologies for the rant. Safe driving in India is a pet peeve, and one I've started to blog about. Now, back to the story...

So - well fed, rested, comfortably attired, and properly restrained - we set out for Kamshet!
Time was 1040 hrs. GPS coordinates to our destination - Cloudbase, Bhajgaon N18.821264 E73.501255. Kamshet is this typical Western India village, tucked in safely between the cleavage of the Western Ghats. Untouched, unspoiled, and all the usual adjectives. Calm yourselves, gentlemen

Distance from Thane is 118 kms by Gmaps, with an estimated travel time of 3 hours. Route we took was Thane - Kalwa - Airoli - Turbhe - Belapur - Panvel - Expressway till Lonavala (last exit) - Kamshet gaon - Kundali road - Cloudbase (Bhajgaon). The route is +4 lane highways right up till Kamshet gaon, so you can make very good time. We got to this point by 1300, post 2 hrs 20 mins of non-stop driving. With wet roads and a nearly 2-tonne truck, I don't exceed 100 kmph on the concrete (read slippery) Expressway. I'm not a child, so my need for speed is tempered by my need to live.

We were now just 11 kms or 25 mins from our destination. Getting to Cloudbase takes you off the turbulent Mumbai-Pune highway and into the backwaters of a dam. Expect vivacious views, streaming streams, trivial tributaries and ghasfoos greenery. The area is well known for paragliding aficionados, who specialize in celebrating their own version of Makar Sakranti, by turning themselves into kites - thankfully, minus the manja. The area seems to have its' own weather system, generally very cloudy and wet. Expect lots of rain, so please do pack accordingly if you make your way here.

Watch for the church and then a small sign on your right, marking the turn to Cloudbase. It's a small gate, followed by another gate leading you into the property. Cloudbase is a home stay. I found it through AirBnB, but they have their own website and you can book there too. Accommodation includes canvas rooms (tents with separate bathrooms few steps away), forest lodges (attached bathrooms) and the lake house (common area and refrigerator).

Some shots from their website:

Canvas room
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-canvas_room1.jpg
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-canvas_rooms2.jpg

Forest lodge
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-forest_lodge_room_ground.jpg
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-forest_lodge_ground_floor.jpg

Lake house
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-lake_house_room_01.jpg
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-house_garden_wide.jpg

My images of the place:

By the lake (swimming permitted, at your own risk)
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-whatsapp-image-20170828-08.12.51.jpeg

View from the forest lodge (ground floor)
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-whatsapp-image-20170828-08.12.52.jpeg

Overall, a nice place to GAFIA (get away from it all). Keep expectations low, and you'll be fine. Don't even dream of star service, unless you're looking up to the heavens during your barbecue session.
Food is basic Maharashtrian veg and non-veg, unlimited. Costs 300/400/500 for breakfast/lunch/dinner, per person. Children discounts apply. We stayed in the forest lodge (ground floor). Costs 4000 per night, meals extra. You can bring your own stuff if needed.

Our host Melissa, was great. She took us in like family and we made friends with fellow campers quite quickly. Melissa's son took on the role of guide and showed us the local waterfall (not to be missed).

Our V-Cross (Emma is 3 months old now), has already proven herself. A very able tourer, loads of luggage room, long-legged on the highway, and tangos like a pro ballroom dancer across broken patches. This trip was an eye opener, once again.
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-4007b9510d0f46b984ef184cab603f79.jpg

Ever since I bought this car, it's caused a paradigm shift in the way we roadtrip. We keep looking for trails everywhere - and there is ZERO fear of road conditions, I know Emma can handle it all.
Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-61f735be2481483fbf9c79040ab0d5e0.jpg

So far, she's been over city roads (Thane to BKC daily, Pune traffic, Mumbai traffic, Goa traffic), express / national / state highways, village roads, rocks, slush, streams, waterfalls. 2 H, 4 H, 4 L can take you anywhere. Not even the slightest worry. All this with the ability to carry 5 passengers + 1 tonne in the back!

Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-20565fbc9ac0437f801c0330762fbf31.jpg

I challenge you to try this drive cycle with ANY other commercially manufactured car in India - and strongly advise you drive this car before purchasing any other SUV. I know I did, and it changed my life.
(Disclaimer: rarely do I engage in hyperbole, though I'm known for regular metaphors, alliterations or similes )

On this trip, we carried along - 2 kiddies chairs + 1 footstool, entire barbecue set, toys + books for the weekend, 1 suitcase with attire for 4, provisions and foodstuff. Carryboy roller lid kept everything dry as the state of Gujarat.

Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-whatsapp-image-20170827-14.34.34.jpeg

We made friends with 2 other families at the camp. With some prodding from the camp owner, we all got together for a trek to Jambhavali waterfall. 6 adults, 5 kids hopped into a Skoda Yeti with Emma serving as backup vehicle. Always had deep respect for the Yeti, and it is 1 amazing car for our country. Healthy GC, powerful engine, amazing space and international standard build quality. Unfortunately, we only seem to have eyes for 'cheap and best' cars in our mass market - and this gem joined the likes of the Palio, Uno, Sierra as a warm memory of what could have been.

Anyway, brushing those thoughts aside, we piled into the cars and headed out. Was glad to have the Yeti around, just in case things got tricky. Little did I know what was in store for us. En route the road quickly deteriorated from tarmac, to gravel, to mud, and we came to a halt at this bog. Knee deep mud, 2 inviting patches one after another. Socks and shoes peeping out of the red clay, told a story and the fate of past adventurers.

Well, feeling bold - we all piled into the V-Cross, and I engaged 4L (superpower mode). The Yeti - being 2WD - watched safely from the sidelines.

Warning: driving the V-Cross will leave you lonely and you will realize your true friends. Just 2 adults chose to join me in the cab, one of which was my wife. The rest happily piled into the truck bed, like immigrants crossing the border from Trumpistan into Canada.

To my complete surprise, Emma just steamed across the bog like a Mississippi paddle boat! We danced through, as she swayed her hips from side to side through the slush. With whoops from the back benchers, we crested the sea of mud - and easily climbed the last stretch up to the waterfall. Remember, this was with 6 adults + 5 kids on board.

Much fun was subsequently had by all. Saw land crabs, rock pools, beautiful ancient temple art and got lost in nature. GAFIA was achieved.

Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-whatsapp-image-20170828-08.12.48.jpeg

As we were wrapping up, my Best Beloved noticed rain clouds gathering. Our better halves are so named, for the best of reasons. Using her Sherlock Holmes deductive skills, she warned me that Emma wasn't really a paddle boat; and the bog would only get boggier if it were to rain. Which it certainly did. On the way back, attacked by the downpour, 5 meters visibility due to the intense fog, windows open (to avoid misting up), we cleared Bog No. 1 (let's call him Shrek). However, dear Fiona (a.k.a. Bog No. 2) was eagerly waiting for us...

Having foiled her earlier attempt to snare the V-Cross, she was now well-prepared. Soaking up the recent rain, peppered with thigh-deep patches of mud - poor Emma sailed towards almost certain doom. Captain Blackbeard (aka yours' truly) shivered his timbers and decided to press on! We almost made it in our first attempt, but my right side got engulfed above the foot board. (Praying for a diff lock from heaven now). Fiona seemed to have won this time. Agonizingly close to the Yeti, and a possible helpful tow - but just not close enough.

Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family-whatsapp-image-20170827-21.12.26.jpeg
Image taken from Transcend DrivePro 520 dashcam

(I forgot to mention, we were 6 adults, 5 kids and 1 box of tissues - as can be seen on closer reflection above)

So our band of pirates piled into the mud.
They say Multani mitti is great for the skin.
Jambhavali mitti is highly recommended too, after this trip.

Several bouts of rocking for 15 minutes, along with the grip from a floor mat - saw us escape the wretched Fiona. Everyone left with filthy legs and feet; and a story to embellish for the grand kids.
We even lost a shoe, but made new friends that day.

I learned a few things from this trip.

1) Carry a shovel (duh!).
2) Isuzu got its' Adventure Utility Vehicle tag right.
3) Always listen to the Missus.

Old Chinese saying -
Drive the perfect car, get happiness for a day
Love the perfect woman, get happiness for a year
Drive the perfect car with the perfect woman to enjoy it with,
That's happiness for a lifetime.

Left after breakfast the next day, so we didn't celebrate our Sunday at Khalapur. Had a peaceful drive back, the most challenging section was the pothole road (oops! bad patch) from Panvel to Vashi.

We did manage to GAFIA on this trip, thankfully without facing others Getting Back To It All.

VivOverland and out!

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2017 at 18:34. Reason: Spacing :). Thanks for sharing!
VivOverland is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 05:46   #2
BHPian

re: Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family

Thanks for the interesting travelogue. You have a wonderful way with the words.

Will be great to see additional pics of Emma and the overall landscape.

Cheers,
Trek
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 18:36   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Isuzu V-Cross: Camping at Kamshet with my family

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 19:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

You really have a way with words as was evident from your introduction on team-bhp. The place looks enticing and nice to see that you are putting the v-cross to good use. But there is one thing I would like to mention, the sticker at the back does not do justice to the v-cross. It should be put on the slow Jeeps of yesteryears or maybe on my Bolero. The one on the v-cross should say - "I can go anywhere and fast"
BlackPearl is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue, as others before me have said, you do have a wonderful way with words. Keep writing and entertaining us. The Isuzu is a very competent car and truly belongs to a niche segment. How do you find it for city runs on a daily basis? Or do you use the Ford Figo for daily drives?
Lalvaz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 20:05   #6
BHPian

Thank you very much! I love to travel, drive and write. Very pleasing that my artful scribblings are well received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
But there is one thing I would like to mention, the sticker at the back does not do justice to the v-cross. It should be put on the slow Jeeps of yesteryears or maybe on my Bolero. The one on the v-cross should say - "I can go anywhere and fast"
My last car was the Chevy Cruze. Now, that was a fast car. For India.

I do like your suggestion, time for new stickering LOL!

Last edited by VivOverland : 6th September 2017 at 20:30. Reason: Corrected Grammar. Grampa was fine.
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 22:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed your log. That load bay gate once opened can be used to take rest at scenic places , with some kind of shelter it can be a small tent.

Have you attempted camping in this car?
Hats off to you for using your v-cross the way you do ( I mean using it in city on daily basis ).
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 22:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Excellent travelogue, as others before me have said, you do have a wonderful way with words. Keep writing and entertaining us. The Isuzu is a very competent car and truly belongs to a niche segment. How do you find it for city runs on a daily basis? Or do you use the Ford Figo for daily drives?
Thank you Lalvaz, I always appreciate feedback! The V-Cross is my primary car and I take it everywhere. Just like on the trail, I've found that length isn't as much of a limitation as width can be. Luckily the car is similar width to most SUVs and probably some saloons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You really have a way with words as was evident from your introduction on team-bhp. The place looks enticing and nice to see that you are putting the v-cross to good use. But there is one thing I would like to mention, the sticker at the back does not do justice to the v-cross. It should be put on the slow Jeeps of yesteryears or maybe on my Bolero. The one on the v-cross should say - "I can go anywhere and fast"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Thank you very much! I love to travel, drive and write. Very pleasing that my artful scribblings are well received.

My last car was the Chevy Cruze. Now, that was a fast car. For India.

I do like your suggestion, time for new stickering LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Enjoyed your log. That load bay gate once opened can be used to take rest at scenic places , with some kind of shelter it can be a small tent.

Have you attempted camping in this car?
Hats off to you for using your v-cross the way you do ( I mean using it in city on daily basis ).
Thank you silverado, we've done day trips and some glamping. With the tailgate down it makes for a useful picnic table. Many owners I know, use the car as a daily runner too.
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:41   #9
BHPian

Enjoyed your TL mate.. Always good to do the outdoors often, instead of the usual hotels in busy metros.
KAUBMW7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Respects !

Loved your narrative and certainly somewhere feeling bad that I cannot have the pleasure of a strong "go anywhere machine". Will get onto one someday....life as of now may not permit such liberties.

Cheers !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Wowy.........lovely and yet crazy write up. Looking forward to more captured shores by the Emma family.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, we are quite a roadworthy family, and very used to getting out of the house quickly - to leave the multitudes in our wake. This time, we got lazy, thinking of the 'short' 3 hour journey. Moved out from home at 9, and started with a leisurely breakfast at good old Tulsi veg (one of the few decent Udipis in our area). SURVIVAL TIP: when traveling with kids, keep them well-fed, in comfortable clothes, and with plastic bags handy. Eating and ghats don't mix, neither do liquids (soups, milk, juices).
Keep an hour between meals and winding roads, your car will thank you.

I once left Chembur with a full tank of petrol, and 2 kids topped up with milk. We had an Exorcist moment at Kharghar (20 mins away), with my 5 year old (at the time) spray painting the Figo interior a delightful white. We truly were the creamy layer, and Operation Flood came to mind. Never again. The kids are now exceptionally well-trained (only in this area). They can discretely puke their little guts out, at 80 kmph, or on a winding ghat road, silently, and with zero mess. Not that they need to do so very often, remember - 1 hour between meals and winding roads. Eating dry food which can be easily digested, helps. Fruit, veggies, dal / rice, curds are perfect. My mother heartily approves.
Your detailed description of this natural phenomenon (which incidentally happens to me as well) left me in splits.

Personally, I use avomine to get respite from this.
Old 7th September 2017, 13:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant report - short & sweet You certainly have a distinctive style of writing. I would love to read more of your reports in the future! The bits of sarcasm/witty lines are too good.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice write up.

Quote:
I learned a few things from this trip.

1) Carry a shovel (duh!).
2) Isuzu got its' Adventure Utility Vehicle tag right.
3) Always listen to the Missus.
Add to the list: an air compressor.

Drop air to around 18psi before entering the mud. Will make a huge difference. Air back up on the road.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 15:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAUBMW7 View Post
Enjoyed your TL mate.. Always good to do the outdoors often, instead of the usual hotels in busy metros.
I'm a hotelier, and I spend way too much time in hotels. For me, less is more in this regard. Also a good way for kids to grow up, spending quality time outdoors, rather than in a mall or cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Respects !

Loved your narrative and certainly somewhere feeling bad that I cannot have the pleasure of a strong "go anywhere machine". Will get onto one someday....life as of now may not permit such liberties.

Cheers !
It wasn't easy buying this one. Will hope to share that story someday. I have learned this though - it isn't how many things we own, but what those things do for us, that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Your detailed description of this natural phenomenon (which incidentally happens to me as well) left me in splits.

Personally, I use avomine to get respite from this.
Abhishek, I hope you aren't related to the Missus. Her family swears by Avomine. The side effect is, it knocks you out! After several lonely 'family' drives to Goa, it has been banned from my household LOL. I had to put my foot down strongly, though it did take several years to gain agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Nice write up.

Add to the list: an air compressor.

Drop air to around 18psi before entering the mud. Will make a huge difference. Air back up on the road.
Thank you Tejas, will save up for this. I understand now how important it is.

Emma gets lots of Vitamin D from the sunshine.
I'm slaving away in the dark, to earn Vitamin M at the moment.

Quote:
Thank you Lalvaz, I always appreciate feedback! The V-Cross is my primary car and I take it everywhere. Just like on the trail, I've found that length isn't as much of a limitation as width can be. Luckily the car is similar width to most SUVs and probably some saloons too.

Thank you silverado, we've done day trips and some glamping. With the tailgate down it makes for a useful picnic table. Many owners I know, use the car as a daily runner too.
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed