Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 04:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks Basil. Glad you liked it.

In my opinion unless you are accessing such spots, or going totally remote, your sedan can manage it. Ofcourse due discretion is always advised.
Thanks for the encouraging words Benny. Will keep in mind the fact that the sedan can probably do most normal roads and some unpaved roads too.

I had taken it to Middlebrook Washpools near Scone in the Hunter Valley, the last few kms were unpaved roads which the car managed as well as a friends Xtrail. Hopefully, will have more to share soon.

Do let me know if you travel South, let us catch-up.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 09:29   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words Benny. Will keep in mind the fact that the sedan can probably do most normal roads and some unpaved roads too.

I had taken it to Middlebrook Washpools near Scone in the Hunter Valley, the last few kms were unpaved roads which the car managed as well as a friends Xtrail. Hopefully, will have more to share soon.
Sedans are quite capable of travelling out to a lot of such places. In most cases, you would have good to reasonable roads. Its when you truly head out bush that the additional clearance, as well as 4WD would be required.

Here's some motivation.

This was taken somewhere in the outback regions during our first outback trip.

Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback-highway-16-img_1204.jpg

Tucked among the other SUVs, here is a non-SUV in the parking lot of Carnarvon National Park.

Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback-parking.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Do let me know if you travel South, let us catch-up.
Sure will.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 12:36   #33

Excellent travelogue Ben. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences and challenges. Reminds me of a road trip i went on some time back. Drove from Melbourne to Sydney via Gold coast, and returned back to Melbourne.

Perhaps i might even write my own travelogue too.
Gausum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 06:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
Excellent travelogue Ben. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences and challenges. Reminds me of a road trip i went on some time back. Drove from Melbourne to Sydney via Gold coast, and returned back to Melbourne.

Perhaps i might even write my own travelogue too.
Thanks Gausum. I appreciate your feedback.
Road trips are always fun, and i absolutely love them.

Melbourne to Sydney via the Gold Coast is slightly unconventional! What route did you take? Looks like you took the inland route bypassing Sydney, and then took the Pacific Motorway on the way back?

Do put up a travelogue. Needless to say, it helps others and personally, also helps relive the journey when you read back later.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:36   #35
BHPian

Hi Ben, as I login after a few days and I see this thread, what an awesome thread! Late last year I had read your previous thread about your outback experience, but I wasn't a member here at team-bhp, so couldn't comment (You can read my introduction here @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...roduction.html ), it was an awesome thread, and this thread of yours continues like a perfect sequel, as I'm a resident of Brisbane too and I have recently bought a pre-owned 2008 Pajero GLX NS, 3.2, so your threads make me all the more excited. Awesome writing/narration and brilliant pictures, makes me feel that I have explored the place with you as well.

It would be great to catchup with you in person if possible! Let me know!

Quote:
Last thing we wanted while on the first day of our trip to the Outback was car damage. .
This is terrifying and I too experienced it around the same time/dates too, and this was the first instance for me to face such a storm in Australia, we were returning from our Christams vacations from Sydney and suddenly near 'Coff's Harbour' a perfectly fine sunny day turned gloomy as dark clouds engulfed us, and add to that there was hail fall, I was totally terrified and assumed that my pajero would be dented by those hails, I put up a strong face as my 7 yr. old daughter was really terrified, she was sobbing as she thought the car would be totally destroyed (she is a total petrol-head like me) I pulled over and trespassed into someones driveway and parked the car against a wall to save any damage at least to that one side and asked my wife and kid to move over to that side for safety, there was no chance of driving, I started filming the incident on my mobile phone so that I can show it to the respective insurance guys, I started praying and then the rain subsided a little bit for enough visibility to drive and I quickly located a 'Coles fuel pump' close by on the Google maps and drove there as a fuel stations have shelter/roof above, we waited there for nearly an hour till the rain totally stopped, and after my daughter was calm I jumped out with fingers crossed to see the damage and was thrilled to see that there was NOT A single dent or bump anywhere on the bonnet or the roof or anywhere on the car, by God's grace the hails were small, but they felt loud thuds from inside. I wonder if there's app or alerts specific to hailstorms as that's totally devastating for a car, need to search the same.

Couple of pictures from the incident:

While the hail dropped mercilessly in heavy rains:
Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback-hailstorm.jpg

Later in the day as I pass near Gold Coast amidst heavy rains, I didn't engage the 4H here, totally forgot about the 4H here (effects of driving a hatchback for 12+yrs):
Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback-heavyrainsneargoldcoast.jpg

My beast at one of the many dedicated pits-stops, I religiously followed the slogans on the Aussie highways "Stop-Revive-Survive" throughout my drive of 915 kms to Sydney (Lesson Learnt: Next time I'm gonna break the journey in two by an overnight stay on the way as you did):
Our second venture at exploring the Australian Outback-atapitstop.jpg

Quote:
Here is one of my favorites, from the pics I had clicked.
True this is the best picture of the Beast. I guess even Mitsubishi doesn't have a picture like this in their brochures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
..I would request other tbhp-ians in Oz to post their travelogues as well.
Yes Nitin I'm going to start doing this soon as I start to explore places with my Pajero.
anup.bronco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 05:12   #36
BHPian

That was some very interesting writing there. Love the pajero and its legacy.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th March 2018 at 05:31. Reason: Edited for Punctuation.
QuilonSpitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 09:44   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup.bronco View Post
Hi Ben, as I login after a few days and I see this thread, what an awesome thread! Late last year I had read your previous thread about your outback experience, but I wasn't a member here at team-bhp, so couldn't comment (You can read my introduction here @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...roduction.html ), it was an awesome thread, and this thread of yours continues like a perfect sequel, as I'm a resident of Brisbane too and I have recently bought a pre-owned 2008 Pajero GLX NS, 3.2, so your threads make me all the more excited. Awesome writing/narration and brilliant pictures, makes me feel that I have explored the place with you as well.
I missed your into thread, Anup. Welcome to TBHP once again.
Thanks for the feedback, i appreciate it.

Quote:
It would be great to catchup with you in person if possible! Let me know!
Sure, lets plan something. I'll ask Kiku also, who is a member and maybe plan a drive, or even a quick meet to begin with.

Quote:
This is terrifying and I too experienced it around the same time/dates too, and this was the first instance for me to face such a storm in Australia, we were returning from our Christams vacations from Sydney and suddenly near 'Coff's Harbour' a perfectly fine sunny day turned gloomy as dark clouds engulfed us, and add to that there was hail fall, I was totally terrified and assumed that my pajero would be dented by those hails, I put up a strong face as my 7 yr. old daughter was really terrified, she was sobbing as she thought the car would be totally destroyed (she is a total petrol-head like me) I pulled over and trespassed into someones driveway and parked the car against a wall to save any damage at least to that one side and asked my wife and kid to move over to that side for safety, there was no chance of driving, I started filming the incident on my mobile phone so that I can show it to the respective insurance guys, I started praying and then the rain subsided a little bit for enough visibility to drive and I quickly located a 'Coles fuel pump' close by on the Google maps and drove there as a fuel stations have shelter/roof above, we waited there for nearly an hour till the rain totally stopped, and after my daughter was calm I jumped out with fingers crossed to see the damage and was thrilled to see that there was NOT A single dent or bump anywhere on the bonnet or the roof or anywhere on the car, by God's grace the hails were small, but they felt loud thuds from inside. I wonder if there's app or alerts specific to hailstorms as that's totally devastating for a car, need to search the same.

Couple of pictures from the incident:

While the hail dropped mercilessly in heavy rains:
Attachment 1740524

Later in the day as I pass near Gold Coast amidst heavy rains, I didn't engage the 4H here, totally forgot about the 4H here (effects of driving a hatchback for 12+yrs):
Attachment 1740527
Hail is certainly scary, especially some of them which are golf ball sized.
I remember i was at work once and as soon as we got to know of hail, people drove out their cars to try and get it undercover somewhere, which also included the nearby Westfield mall parking lot. There were lots of people just sitting in their cars inside the parking lot, even in non parking areas, waiting out the hail. I was one of them.

You can sign up at the BOM website for alerts which get sent out. I am not sure if they have an app as well.

Quote:
My beast at one of the many dedicated pits-stops, I religiously followed the slogans on the Aussie highways "Stop-Revive-Survive" throughout my drive of 915 kms to Sydney (Lesson Learnt: Next time I'm gonna break the journey in two by an overnight stay on the way as you did):
Attachment 1740528
We did a drive to Sydney for Easter a couple of years ago, and did the whole trip in one go. Ofcourse, we stopped quite regularly and took breaks. We were just by ourselves, so wasn't too much of a bother.

What frustrated me was the speed limits which also included the average speed cameras as well as regular policing along the stretch once you cross into NSW. Add to that road works as well, and the journey became even more longer than anticipated.

Quote:
True this is the best picture of the Beast. I guess even Mitsubishi doesn't have a picture like this in their brochures.
That's quite flattering. Thanks.

Quote:
Yes Nitin I'm going to start doing this soon as I start to explore places with my Pajero.
Looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilonSpitfire View Post
That was some very interesting writing there. Love the pajero and its legacy.
Thanks QuilonSpitfire. I appreciate you dropping by to share your feedback.
Old 14th March 2018, 10:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, lets plan something. I'll ask Kiku also, who is a member and maybe plan a drive, or even a quick meet to begin with.
Roger that - Pls. do so, let's have a quick meet to begin with, could you pls. PM me your contact details so that we can coordinate, me being a 'Newbie' here I'm unable to PM you.

Quote:
Hail is certainly scary, especially some of them which are golf ball sized.
I remember i was at work once and as soon as we got to know of hail, people drove out their cars to try and get it undercover somewhere, which also included the nearby Westfield mall parking lot. There were lots of people just sitting in their cars inside the parking lot, even in non parking areas, waiting out the hail. I was one of them.
Lol, desperate times call for desperate measures, I'll have to do the same next time.

Quote:
You can sign up at the BOM website for alerts which get sent out. I am not sure if they have an app as well.
I'll do that. Thanks.

Quote:
We did a drive to Sydney for Easter a couple of years ago, and did the whole trip in one go. Ofcourse, we stopped quite regularly and took breaks. We were just by ourselves, so wasn't too much of a bother.

What frustrated me was the speed limits which also included the average speed cameras as well as regular policing along the stretch once you cross into NSW. Add to that road works as well, and the journey became even more longer than anticipated.
Same here, the condition is the same with intermediate roadworks as of 23rd Dec., 2017. For me the journey was endless, it was a sudden plan, add to that we started late in the morning on 23rd Dec., there was traffic jam near Gold Coast as the whole world was moving there at the time , the jam further intensified and I was at the same place in a 110kmph zone for close to 30 mins. after Gold Coast near the QLD border. Add to that this was my first major road trip outside of India, I was getting sleepy after 2hrs. of driving as you know we are constantly on the same speed on AT and that too on cruise-control, as compared/opposed to the MT and hyperactive Indian highways where you're alert all the time, I had to have a coffee at every pit-stop to keep me going. Nevertheless it was a sense of achievement to drive all the way to-n-fro, each and every part or patch of the road is so beautiful and photogenic, as mentioned earlier next time I'm gonna break the journey for sure maybe at 'Port Mcquarie' and continue the next day
Old 15th March 2018, 11:09   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Roger that - Pls. do so, let's have a quick meet to begin with, could you pls. PM me your contact details so that we can coordinate, me being a 'Newbie' here I'm unable to PM you.
Sent you an email via Team-BHP.

Quote:
Same here, the condition is the same with intermediate roadworks as of 23rd Dec., 2017. For me the journey was endless, it was a sudden plan, add to that we started late in the morning on 23rd Dec., there was traffic jam near Gold Coast as the whole world was moving there at the time , the jam further intensified and I was at the same place in a 110kmph zone for close to 30 mins. after Gold Coast near the QLD border. Add to that this was my first major road trip outside of India, I was getting sleepy after 2hrs. of driving as you know we are constantly on the same speed on AT and that too on cruise-control, as compared/opposed to the MT and hyperactive Indian highways where you're alert all the time, I had to have a coffee at every pit-stop to keep me going. Nevertheless it was a sense of achievement to drive all the way to-n-fro, each and every part or patch of the road is so beautiful and photogenic, as mentioned earlier next time I'm gonna break the journey for sure maybe at 'Port Mcquarie' and continue the next day
Life in Australia starts rather early in the morning, so even if you started early, you would still find the roads are quite busy on such days.

I remember we stopped for breakfast somewhere after the NSW border, and the crowds at the servos were massive!

The rush once we got close to Sydney, somewhere after Newcastle IIRC, was also quite high, and by then you just want to get to your destination. We stopped for quite some time at one of the rest stops around here, and relaxed before we made the final push.

While driving to Sydney, Coffs Harbour which falls almost exactly half way between Brisbane and Sydney is where we usually stop for food. I like the vibe of the place, possibly because we had a good vacation there once. It also happens to be the place i tried a crocodile burger for the first time.
Old 15th March 2018, 14:26   #40

Quote:
Thanks Gausum. I appreciate your feedback.
Road trips are always fun, and i absolutely love them.

Melbourne to Sydney via the Gold Coast is slightly unconventional! What route did you take? Looks like you took the inland route bypassing Sydney, and then took the Pacific Motorway on the way back?

Do put up a travelogue. Needless to say, it helps others and personally, also helps relive the journey when you read back later.
Hi Ben,

The route i took was Melbourne, Coonabarabran in NSW, Gold Coast, Sydney and finally back to Melbourne.

Will try and post a travelogue when the time permits!!
Gausum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:59   #41
BHPian

Nice log and pictures. Is Indian DL is valid to drive in Australia? Asked because someone had said we can drive with Indian DL for the first 3 months of arriving in Aussie.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 06:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Sent you an email via Team-BHP.
Hey Ben, I haven't received any email, neither in my messages section on Team-BHP or my personal email that's registered here! Wonder how to contact you, my personal email id. is anup(dot)naidu(dot)java at gmail,
you can email me there (Mods pls. delete this info. if found in-appropriate to share personal details here). Looking forward to meet you soon

Quote:
Life in Australia starts rather early in the morning, so even if you started early, you would still find the roads are quite busy on such days.

I remember we stopped for breakfast somewhere after the NSW border, and the crowds at the servos were massive!

The rush once we got close to Sydney, somewhere after Newcastle IIRC, was also quite high, and by then you just want to get to your destination. We stopped for quite some time at one of the rest stops around here, and relaxed before we made the final push.

While driving to Sydney, Coffs Harbour which falls almost exactly half way between Brisbane and Sydney is where we usually stop for food. I like the vibe of the place, possibly because we had a good vacation there once. It also happens to be the place i tried a crocodile burger for the first time.
True as you said, I've observed similar situations during this trip to Sydney. I'm yet to explore these places, Coff's Harbour and Port Mcquarie is definitely on the list, and while returning I do recollect that there is a scenic alternate route as indicated by the signboards, which I guess takes you off the main highway, I wanna explore that too. As of now, as I've just purchased my Pajero so I've just been to Surfer's Paradise couple of times, Redcliffe, and the Sydney trip, need to really plan one by one
anup.bronco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 09:40   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
Hi Ben,

The route i took was Melbourne, Coonabarabran in NSW, Gold Coast, Sydney and finally back to Melbourne.

Will try and post a travelogue when the time permits!!
Looking forward to your travelogue.

I remember the inland route as being quite beautiful when i accidentally tried it while returning from Byron Bay, IIRC. The Pacific Motorway had quite some roadworks, so it turned out to be a blessing in disguise in more than one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Nice log and pictures. Is Indian DL is valid to drive in Australia? Asked because someone had said we can drive with Indian DL for the first 3 months of arriving in Aussie.
I believe the laws depend on individual states, but not 100% sure.
In Queensland where i am based, you can drive on your foreign licence for 3 months from the date of entry if you are a Permanent Resident. If on a 457 visa, i believe its different.

I started driving in Australia under the guidance of my good friend on the very second day that i landed. His first instruction to me was "Don't sneak up on the car in front of you when waiting at the lights. You can get accused of tailgating." Bangalore driving habits meant i was adamant not to leave any space in between to avoid a bike/auto/cab/bus making its way into the gap! LOL!

Roundabouts are quite common in Australia, and this is something which required some learning, not to forget the Give Way rights.

Quote:
Hey Ben, I haven't received any email, neither in my messages section on Team-BHP or my personal email that's registered here! Wonder how to contact you, my personal email id. is anup(dot)naidu(dot)java at gmail,
you can email me there (Mods pls. delete this info. if found in-appropriate to share personal details here). Looking forward to meet you soon
Glad we were able to finally establish contact.

Quote:
True as you said, I've observed similar situations during this trip to Sydney. I'm yet to explore these places, Coff's Harbour and Port Mcquarie is definitely on the list, and while returning I do recollect that there is a scenic alternate route as indicated by the signboards, which I guess takes you off the main highway, I wanna explore that too. As of now, as I've just purchased my Pajero so I've just been to Surfer's Paradise couple of times, Redcliffe, and the Sydney trip, need to really plan one by one
I am quite regular to Redcliffe, as its kinda like our weekend drive destination, being close by.

This thread may be of interest to you :
Exploring Brisbane
Old 16th March 2018, 10:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Glad we were able to finally establish contact.
True finally!! Amen

Quote:
I am quite regular to Redcliffe, as its kinda like our weekend drive destination, being close by.

This thread may be of interest to you :
Exploring Brisbane
True. I love that place too, being so close! I have gone through this thread longback, infact I visited 'Suttons Beach' after I read about it in your thread. After taking the delivery of my Pajero in Nov.17' the first drive from the dealer was to 'Settlement Cove' in Redcliffe. Small world eh!!

You might have visited the 'Seafood Lovers Cafe', which is right next to the 'Suttons Beach' and if not then pls. visit, great food and view and I found the place economical and good quantity too compared to the overpriced-less quantity food elsewhere. Location Details for the benefit of others visiting this place here

Last edited by anup.bronco : 16th March 2018 at 10:26. Reason: Adding info. on the food there.
Old 16th March 2018, 11:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. I love that place too, being so close! I have gone through this thread longback, infact I visited 'Suttons Beach' after I read about it in your thread. After taking the delivery of my Pajero in Nov.17' the first drive from the dealer was to 'Settlement Cove' in Redcliffe. Small world eh!!

You might have visited the 'Seafood Lovers Cafe', which is right next to the 'Suttons Beach' and if not then pls. visit, great food and view and I found the place economical and good quantity too compared to the overpriced-less quantity food elsewhere.
I remember the place you mentioned. Our regular haunt is the Fish n Chips place at Margate. This is as you proceed towards the Gayundah ship wreck from Suttons. It's a very basic place, but it just so happened that we found this place when we first visited the area, and then just carried on going to the same place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks