Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 01:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax_SP View Post
...its location in a high seismic activity zone is being further complicated by unplanned construction and the subsequent blockage of the sewage / natural drainage system.
Further more, despite the fact that it is a litter free state, the pile up on the mountains, as well as the still continuing cultivation pattern sets off alarm bells for sure.
Indeed, the main trash dump, actually down the mountain towards the old military airstrip AFAIK, is - as all trash dumps are wont to be - appalling... and certainly needn't be set afire to endlessly smolder as has been done.

As far as the "jhum" (slash and burn) cultivation goes, on the surface it would seem equally appalling, the counterpoint - noted very early on by outside observers - being that it may be the only system that could allow countless generations of rural Mizos any chance of eking out a subsistence in soil conditions far from ideal. Various alternatives have been promoted / tried, and I'm sure that something better could be developed - but it would not be an overnight solution. Till then, the quality of air and forests will be way out of sync with the state's extremely low population density. Despite the endless ridges of "forested", uninhabited land, You hardly find more than scrubby little trees/underbrush anywhere, and flights are regularly cancelled due to smog at certain times of year. And yeah, the near-universal human smoking might be so prevalent as to make its own contribution! As in other parts of the land, corruption gets in the way of a lot of planned progress, so while a true model for the rest of India in many respects, Mizoram is - as for all earthly realms - not quite a utopia.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 9th July 2018 at 01:20.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 09:48   #17
BHPian

A beautiful log! you are right when you say you need a pair of local eyes to fully appreciate what the city has to offer. I missed out on the Reiek trek and Tamdil on my trip and they seem like great destinations. Enjoyed reading through the log. Thanks for sharing.
gunin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 17:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
A beautiful log! you are right when you say you need a pair of local eyes to fully appreciate what the city has to offer. I missed out on the Reiek trek and Tamdil on my trip and they seem like great destinations. Enjoyed reading through the log. Thanks for sharing.
Reiek needs development, which is in progress with an activity park on the anvil. Have noticed there was construction going on. The restaurant there however needs plenty of improvement in one would like to stay over.
Tamdil is a picturesque location and has good accommodation. The access to Tamdil would need prominent marking though.
Madmax_SP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Madmax_SP, first off, well done girl! While (in this 21st century so called modern India) many girls are not allowed to venture out alone even in cities, you are travelling alone to unknown places and having fun! May your tribe increase!
Very riveting narration and nice pictures. I had been to Mizoram (Aizawl once) and that too only at the Mission Veng overnight for a conference - while I was dabbling around NGO work. It is indeed a beautiful place and you have capture the essence of it beautifully.
I think it was gunin's narration that solicited a comment that went something like "lets not popularize these areas and let them retain their serenity" for the fear of tourists destroying the place and the people. Similarly, these places - especially the North East is a difficult one. We would like everyone to have a taste of how resplendent they are, at the same time, the more popular they become, there is a lop-sided development which is detrimental to the region. Case in point are Manali, Ooty etc.
Anyway, very interesting read. (Read you Sikkim one too)
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 13:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
My 1st Travelogue on Team-BHP, and a first of many kinds for me.
Wonderful narration and thanks for sharing. Glad to know that there are vegetarian options.

What was the duration of your trip?

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2018 at 13:57. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Payaniga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 07:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

A great write-up! N.E India is one of the least visited parts and I believe that's why its still so beautiful; untouched largely by human hands. Surely it's worth visiting many times. For me, the picture where you are sitting on the bench overlooking the valley, sums up the entire area - peaceful and tranquil, where you can forget every worry in your life and just relax! Do keep traveling! As for your new Ecosport; congrats it's a wonderful car - I have bought one myself last month.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 17th August 2018 at 07:58.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 13:21   #22
BHPian

A few photographic updates from my edit box of which I am so enamoured of. Hope the readers would enjoy the pictures with the update.

The picturesque background of Lengpui Airport
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-12.jpeg

Glitter slopes of a hilly city in a mesmerising tinge of dusky hue. Will I ever get over this view?
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-15.jpeg

Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-16.jpeg

Seemingly straight out of a postcard, this view at Rawpuichhip is enroute to Distt HQ Mamit.
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-17.jpeg

Ethereal sights are commonplace in this state I see! Less visited, but has the potential to be a major destination when it is ready in terms of the travel infra. Till then, till then!
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-8.jpeg

Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-9.jpeg

Bloom in the wild.
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-6.jpeg

Somewhere along the River Lungleng a rainbow decorates this little Mizo hamlet in all its glory.
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-5.jpeg

Bridging Borders and Cultures!
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-7.jpeg

The way this boatman navigated upstream the Lenglung River in Mizoram was a display of skill, and a sight to behold. I kept turning around towards the rear of the boat trying to click a picture over the heads of the other passengers but could only manage after having to stand over the seat though running the risk of losing my balance.
These people helping connect the most remote parts of the country are an amazing resource!
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-10.jpeg

Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-4.jpeg

Of sunsets and clouds in hills. Of mesmerizing moments and wonderful views.
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-13.jpeg

Ever wondered what we miss among all things amazing in life?
Me thinks it is the opportunity of experiencing happiness amidst the hectic life most of us lead. Does life come with a specification of a time frame when you are allowed only to enjoy and be happy? Rather, it would be the collection of various moments we manage to grab in between whenever possible that makes up for a lifetime collection of moments that constitute what we call happiness. So go on, and make your moments.
This picture was one such moment that keeps me hooked on to my travel plans. For a view like this, I could cross oceans!
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-miz-update-11.jpeg

Enroute to Tamdil Lake located about 64 km from Aizawl City in Mizoram, I happened to detect this cozy corner that opened up a window view to the beautiful rolling hills of this amazing North Eastern State of our Country.
Mizo Magic : Travel Diary of a Solo Woman Traveller to Mizoram-mizo-update.jpeg

Note: Some of the pictures being taking with mobile phone resulted in deterioration upon edit, and some had to be resized (excuse my ineptness). The locales though were so flattering that I could not hold back from posting them.

Last edited by Madmax_SP : 29th August 2018 at 13:35.
Madmax_SP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:40   #23
BHPian

Well done girl. During the trip, did you ever feel unsafe? What was your gut feel about it?
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Well done girl. During the trip, did you ever feel unsafe? What was your gut feel about it?
@IUNKWN
Thank you.
No. At no point did I feel unsafe. Im sure you will agree one needs to take precautions anywhere in the world. Beginning to get the hang of it now!
Warm regards.
Madmax_SP
Madmax_SP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 12:42   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on the successful solo trip..
Thank you for the amazing travelogue and photographs.

Quote:
@IUNKWN
No. At no point did I feel unsafe. Im sure you will agree one needs to take precautions anywhere in the world. Beginning to get the hang of it now!
I think NE India is safer for women than most other parts of India.
Being a solo traveller I am sure you did your due diligence.
Old 17th April 2024, 13:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
... Glittering Slopes of Aizawl City. Gives an impression of stars draping slopes ...
Brings back a lot of memories. I spent a significant portion of my childhood in Aizawl, Mizoram due to Dad's job and your post has been a warm reminder of all the beautiful memories I have of my time there.

As they say in Mizo: Ka Lungleng Lutuk (translates roughly to "being homesick / missing someone or something").

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks