Old 28th February 2019, 13:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Drive to Gurudongmar Lake - North Sikkim with Marengo, my Scorpio 4WD

Lovely travelogue. Awesome snaps.
SVK Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:18   #32
BHPian

Awesome writeup and amazing pictures. I need a small help. I am planning to drive to Sikkim and cover North Sikkim too along with NathuLa and Tsongmo Lake in my own SUV. I have been reading about it and seems like private vehicles are not allowed to visit the protected areas. How did you arrange permits to self drive your car to North Sikkim. Any guidance will be sincerely appreciated. I will anyways drive to Sikkim but don't want to miss out on North Sikkin. Please enlighten.

Thanks and Regards,

-Shiva
shivathedude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 09:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Will visit Gurudongmar Lake driving my own vehicle or not at all.

Dear 1100D. Very well written travelogue. The pictures speak for themselves.
This particular travelogue brought back my memories of 2008 when I visited Sikkim. However that trip was totally by tourist taxis. I plan to do it now with my 4x4. How was your experience in getting the permits especially Gurudongmar, as the locals do not like private vehicles?

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 24th April 2019 at 09:11.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 10:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
How did you arrange permits to self drive your car to North Sikkim. Any guidance will be sincerely appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
How was your experience in getting the permits especially Gurudongmar, as the locals do not like private vehicles?
I got my permit from the permit office of the police checkpost at Mangan. One can simply walk-in and out. The permit process itself wasn't a big deal, they require to check all vehicle papers and that it belongs to you.

However, as rightly said, local Tourist cab drivers don't like people visiting with their own cars and hence if you ask anyone (remotely) connected to the tourism industry, they will try to discourage.

More than this, most of the tourist cab drivers are extremely non-cooperative (not the regular local commercial drivers though). Even at the checkposts where the permits are checked, these guys will try to hustle their way in, especially hostile to outsiders.

Sikkimese hospitality is top notch, but same cannot be said about the tourist cab drivers from the region. So be extra careful while driving there.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 11:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
More than this, most of the tourist cab drivers are extremely non-cooperative (not the regular local commercial drivers though). Even at the checkposts where the permits are checked, these guys will try to hustle their way in, especially hostile to outsiders.

Sikkimese hospitality is top notch, but same cannot be said about the tourist cab drivers from the region. So be extra careful while driving there.

Exactly. This was my observation when I travelled to Sikkim in 2008. They have the feeling that we are eating into their livelihood. However if I have a capable and better car coupled with the passion of driving in my own vehicle, then no one can stop me.

I thought that self registered vehicle is required only for Ladakh?
My vehicle is registered in my wife's name, so could that be a problem in Sikkim if my wife is not travelling with me.
Old 24th April 2019, 11:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
My vehicle is registered in my wife's name, so could that be a problem in Sikkim if my wife is not travelling with me.
Won't be a problem, as long as you carry proof of her remaining to be your wife and her authorisation to use her vehicle!
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:08   #37

Such a great and detailed write up. I've been a silent spectator in this forum for a while and dream to take such trips in the future and north Sikkim is on top of my bucket list.
I wanted to ask a couple of questions.
How did you arrange the permits?

Did you require your 4WD mechanism during your total trip?
Old 22nd September 2019, 21:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darpan666 View Post
Such a great and detailed write up. I've been a silent spectator in this forum for a while and dream to take such trips in the future and north Sikkim is on top of my bucket list.
I wanted to ask a couple of questions.
How did you arrange the permits?

Did you require your 4WD mechanism during your total trip?
Hi Darpan,

There is absolutely no issue in driving your own car in Sikkim, even in areas where permit is required. You can get permits from various locations such as Gangtok (all areas), Rongli (East Sikkim), Mangan (North Sikkim). You need to carry your ID & Address proofs (original & photocopies), PP photos of all members, vehicle documents (RC, Tax, Insurance, Pollution etc.). At every check post there are agents who are ever willing to do this for you at a price. Go for it, you will not regret it.
SaurabhB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 13:23   #39
BHPian

Congratulations on the successful trip.
Wonderful travelogue and beautiful photographs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks