Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 16:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Munnar 2018: Neelakurinji, a flower that blooms once in 12 years

Wonderful! What a sad thing that the rains hit this very year out of the 12 years. I am looking forward to the next season (after long 12 years) and it's going to be hard as I'll be 48 - need to start working out to stay in shape then.

I think these are true wonders of nature and one should never miss it - thank you for sharing, though I feel this underwhelming compared to the internet pics. In a way, am happy I didn't go this season, might have been super disappointed.

And feel a lot lot happy for your kid - she can be proud and happy to have been there, though it'll take another trip after she is 15 or so, to appreciate the real value of this.

Edit:: Could you describe what needs to be done after the ticket is booked online? Though I read it, didn't quite understand. Does the ticket rate include the transportation as well?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th October 2018 at 16:11.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Fantastic thread. Thanks for sharing. I only learned about it a few months ago and have this on the bucket list.

Are there regions around there that also sell the "kurinji honey"?

Also, you had a lunch at Marayoor. Is it that very same Marayoor that's popular for its "Marayoor Jaggery"?

Sorry, two food related questions - it is my lunch hour after all!
I belong to this neighborhood and have witnessed two Kurinji seasons, but has never seen Kurinji honey anywhere in Munnar. Please make sure you don't get fleeced and it is from genuine sources if you happen to find this in Munnar.

Yes, it is the very same Marayur, you can buy jaggery from shops there.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 19:15   #18
BHPian

The pictures are drool-worthy.

But bad weather is returning to Kerala and I'll have to cancel my trip this week. Hopefully Munnar sees some sunshine soon because this is too good to miss.

Night_Fury
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 20:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Is the view point reachable with a regular sedan or does it require a SUV/4x4?
Pure off road. 4X4 is a must. If you are adventurous, you may try mountain biking (down hill), dirt biking etc.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
A wonderful travelogue and photologue, I had (selfishly I think) felt that Uttaranchal was God's chosen land. Now I know that the hills of Kerala have strong claims to that title as well.
Thanks, Some forests in Kerala are well preserved, thanks to the people who did not get swayed by industrial invasion.
Quote:
Also, you had a lunch at Marayoor. Is it that very same Marayoor that's popular for its "Marayoor Jaggery"?

Sorry, two food related questions - it is my lunch time
haha, you are spot on Marayoor Jaggery. Coming to Kurinji honey, finding the flower itself is tough, forget the honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Wonderful! What a sad thing that the rains hit this very year out of the 12 years. I am looking forward to the next season (after long 12 years) and it's going to be hard as I'll be 48 - need to start working out to stay in shape then.

I think these are true wonders of nature and one should never miss it - thank you for sharing, though I feel this underwhelming compared to the internet pics. In a way, am happy I didn't go this season, might have been super disappointed.

And feel a lot lot happy for your kid - she can be proud and happy to have been there, though it'll take another trip after she is 15 or so, to appreciate the real value of this.

Edit:: Could you describe what needs to be done after the ticket is booked online? Though I read it, didn't quite understand. Does the ticket rate include the transportation as well?
Aah, actually, the twelve years cycle is true but only for a specific region. Most famous of them is the Rajamala whose cyce falls this year. I'm sure next year some other slope will bloom. Accessibility may be a problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
The pictures are drool-worthy.

But bad weather is returning to Kerala and I'll have to cancel my trip this week. Hopefully Munnar sees some sunshine soon because this is too good to miss.

Night_Fury
My suggestion would be, do not wait for right weather, just go, it will be fine. May be less tourists. There you go man, night fury has got a company

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 5th October 2018 at 21:27.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 21:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
...My suggestion would be, do not wait for right weather, just go, it will be fine. May be less tourists. There you go man, night fury has got a company
I believe the government has invoked a ban to Munnar currently citing heavy rainfalls, with immediate effect? I got a screenshot of a news bit showing this info. And it says, Munnar stays closed till a further intimation is provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
...But bad weather is returning to Kerala and I'll have to cancel my trip this week. Hopefully Munnar sees some sunshine soon because this is too good to miss...

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th October 2018 at 21:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe the government has invoked a ban to Munnar currently citing heavy rainfalls, with immediate effect?
Yes. For this weekend -

Quote:
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued a red alert for three districts of Kerala, warning about extremely heavy rainfall on October 7 (Sunday). In the warning issued by the Met department, fishermen in Kerala have been advised to reach safer coast latest by October 5 (Friday). The three districts which have been put on red alert are Idukki, Thrissur and Palakkad districts.
https://www.timesnownews.com/india/a...alakkad/293783
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 00:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the government has invoked a ban to Munnar currently citing heavy rainfalls, with immediate effect? I got a screenshot of a news bit showing this info. And it says, Munnar stays closed till a further intimation is provided.
Oh, I didn’t realise the gravity of the situation. It sounds much worse.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th October 2018 at 00:09. Reason: Typo
Old 6th October 2018, 08:00   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
.....Thanks, Some forests in Kerala are well preserved, thanks to the people who did not get swayed by industrial invasion.....
I'm one with you on this - it is the local population who have to take a stand against deforestation. In this matter Uttaranchal lags behind. But it is still a young state (born in 2000) and is fast becoming conscious of the importance of eco/nature tourism as a major revenue earner.

Hopefully the relatively recent initiative by local army units, local govt. (in collaboration with citizen's bodies) will begin to show fruit as I had observed in parts of the state.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 09:11   #24
BHPian

Thanks for nice snaps MD. Flowers look really gorgeous.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 09:30   #25
BHPian

Excellent pictures and travelogue, Thermodynamics. Your little daughter is a poser! Very nice to see the Neelakurinji in bloom again. We were there in 2006 when it last bloomed and we enjoyed the views very much. It is good to see that this year's rains has left at least some percentage of the brilliant little flowers untouched.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 10:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Excellent pictures and travelogue, Thermodynamics. Your little daughter is a poser! Very nice to see the Neelakurinji in bloom again. We were there in 2006 when it last bloomed and we enjoyed the views very much. It is good to see that this year's rains has left at least some percentage of the brilliant little flowers untouched.
Thanks, I’d cherish this compliment, coming from a brilliant photographer.

Quote:
yes, the ticket price includes transportation. I think 75% tickets are sold online, but online booking closes a day before i.e not possible to book immediate next day. Rest of the tickets are sold at the counter on a first come basis. After purchasing ticket online, we need to produce it at ticket counter, they’ll endorse and we can board.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th October 2018 at 11:10.
Old 6th October 2018, 12:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent T'log TD. Used to drive down to Munnar frequently but have slowed down a bit due to other commitments. Really want to make the drive possible.

For others, here are couple of videos giving some information about Neelakurinji/booking/road conditions etc (also shows the proposed toll site ) :

Source - YouTube

Last edited by naveen.raju : 6th October 2018 at 13:02. Reason: more info
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 23:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
For others, here are couple of videos giving some information about Neelakurinji/booking/road conditions etc
Thanks for sharing, they have comprehensively covered the whole route. It is sad to see that significant fraction of flowers have turned brown, looks like the season is getting over.

Quote:
Your post reminded me of the below observation

Munnar 2018: Neelakurinji, a flower that blooms once in 12 years-img_5946.jpg
it should be theoretically possible

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th October 2018 at 23:21.
Old 7th October 2018, 08:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome report thermodynamics. The beauty of Neelakurinji and its blooms have been wonderfully covered. Neelakurinji or not, Munnar is one of my choicest destinations. I wanted to visit Munnar this season. Based at Kochi, it was most convenient too. However, some unexpected turn of events prevented me. May be, I'll venture in 2030
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review Thermodynamics

My observation on photos, Kurunji is slightly densed in Kolakkumalali route as compared to Rajamalai. Am I right or something wrong in my observation ? Please clarify

Also, have already planned Munnar trip during 20th October weekend only dedicated to Kurinji flowers.

Request to kindly share driver's number so that I can find out from him if kurinji is still blossoming ? Have sent a private message to you for driver's number
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks