Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 17:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Munnar 2018: Neelakurinji, a flower that blooms once in 12 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Awesome report thermodynamics. The beauty of Neelakurinji and its blooms have been wonderfully covered. Neelakurinji or not, Munnar is one of my choicest destinations. I wanted to visit Munnar this season. Based at Kochi, it was most convenient too. However, some unexpected turn of events prevented me. May be, I'll venture in 2030
Thanks for the compliment, I'd cherish, I'm a big fan of your writing. A request, can you do it this year, Kurinji will be more beautiful in your pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Fantastic Review Thermodynamics

My observation on photos, Kurunji is slightly densed in Kolakkumalali route as compared to Rajamalai. Am I right or something wrong in my observation ? Please clarify
Also, have already planned Munnar trip during 20th October weekend only dedicated to Kurinji flowers.
Request to kindly share driver's number so that I can find out from him if kurinji is still blossoming ? Have sent a private message to you for driver's number
That's true, the bloom at Rajamala was sparse, but Kolukkumala slopes were full. From the recent videos in youtube, it looks like the bloom is getting over. It might be a good idea to check with the driver. Anyway Kolukkumala is still a very good place to visit regardless of Kurinji.

Munnar 2018: Neelakurinji, a flower that blooms once in 12 years-img_20181008_170625.jpg

If your interest of this trip is primarily Kurinji then, I'd suggest to explore information around just like I did. Which route are you planning. The Udumalai route or Bodi route. If you are planning via Udumalai route, then start inquiring at Marayoor. Around this region such as Kanthaloor, Kurinjimala, Vattavada. Also I heard the highlands above Lakkom water falls had lush bloom. Anyway, the key is to ask especially Kerala tourism authorities.

I'll PM you a number of Eco-Tourism at Mattupatty, another source of first hand information and they can give an overview of current regions in bloom. They can also take booking for Meesapulimala trek, Rhodo mansion, Camping etc., I hope this is useful.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 8th October 2018 at 17:48.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Thanks for the compliment, I'd cherish, I'm a big fan of your writing. A request, can you do it this year, Kurinji will be more beautiful in your pen.
Thanks a lot Thermodynamics. Very kind words indeed and I am much humbled.
I don't think I will be able to venture that side this time. As such the kurinjis are slowly decreasing. Still, if I get a two days' break, I will definitely leave no stones unturned.

Quote:

Attachment 1806068

I'll PM you a number of Eco-Tourism at Mattupatty, another source of first hand information and they can give an overview of current regions in bloom. They can also take booking for Meesapulimala trek, Rhodo mansion, Camping etc., I hope this is useful.
Very helpful information. I am sure, will be useful for the many who are about to venture that side.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 00:02   #33
BHPian

This is what we could catch on Kollukumalai this weekend.

Most of the flowers have either withered or beginning to.
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar 2018: Neelakurinji, a flower that blooms once in 12 years-screenshot_20181018000201_gallery.jpg  

ashwinmanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 11:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinmanuk View Post
This is what we could catch on Kollukumalai this weekend.
Most of the flowers have either withered or beginning to.
Looks like the season is over. The place looks totally different. I guess it was a bright sunny day 11:00 AM. Since the valley is in the direction of sunrise, haze is more prominent.
Old 18th October 2018, 13:00   #35
BHPian

Naah, this was around 8-9 am.
ashwinmanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 14:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I am eager to read their story, .
Beautiful pictures. I have been hearing about NilKunj and the 12 years ever since my childhood and had seen several pictures of the flower. But with the images you have shared I am fulfilled and the search for pictures of NilKunj ends here for me. I liked the subtle post processing in the images, loved the POV of all of them. If you could share the details of your camera gear, I should be able to figure out the settings used. Beautiful crisp and detailed narration. Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful experiences.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 17:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Beautiful pictures. I have been hearing about NilKunj and the 12 years ever since my childhood and had seen several pictures of the flower. But with the images you have shared I am fulfilled and the search for pictures of NilKunj ends here for me. I liked the subtle post processing in the images, loved the POV of all of them. If you could share the details of your camera gear, I should be able to figure out the settings used. Beautiful crisp and detailed narration. Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful experiences.
Thanks ARAY, humbled by your compliment. I'm glad you liked the images and the post-processing. In-fact many of my friends say the images are not as good as the ones rolling in social network. May be that has to do with the little knowledge I have on post-processing. I generally limit to just doing the line-curves and white balance. Vignette only when needed for example, the portraits. Gear: 7 year old Canon-60D with 18-55mm kit lens, badly needs an upgrade.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 9th November 2018 at 17:40.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks