Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 10:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Bhutan & Nepal | Solo | 9,000 km of Adventure on a KTM Duke

Epic, adventurous and courageous journey and very well put across. I was in awe after reading unk9ja's tlog of his travel to Bhutan, but your journey in in a different class altogether. And Solo Your photographs are beautiful too and described the scenes accurately.

I was especially amazed at your description of the river crossing. With no one around, it would have been deadly if you/ the bike had slipped into the freezing cold water.

How did you cross that suspension bridge? It looks so narrow. Was that another heart in the mouth moment?

Great all rounder bike is this Duke. Did well on all the varied terrain it went across even with road tyres.

Again, this was a super read. Wish you many more kilometers of fun and some more travelogues.
Old 18th February 2019, 19:03   #47
BHPian

Hi Ashish,

Do they accept Airbnb booking printouts to issue the permit at Phuntshoeling? Can you please share the names of the Airbnb places you booked at Thimpu & Punakha?

Also, any apps that run navigation on offline mode on Android that work in Bhutan?
Old 20th February 2019, 16:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
How did you cross that suspension bridge? It looks so narrow. Was that another heart in the mouth moment?

Great all rounder bike is this Duke. Did well on all the varied terrain it went across even with road tyres.

Again, this was a super read. Wish you many more kilometers of fun and some more travelogues.
Thank you goandude for the kind words. Won't lie, I was a bit nervous while crossing the suspension bridge initially but later, got the confidence since I didn't look down at all. The bridge was very narrow and only one motorcycle could pass at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi Ashish,

Do they accept Airbnb booking printouts to issue the permit at Phuntshoeling? Can you please share the names of the Airbnb places you booked at Thimpu & Punakha?

Also, any apps that run navigation on offline mode on Android that work in Bhutan?
Yes, airbnb itinerary and booking is valid at the immigration office for the permits. They would need the hotel address and the owner's telephone number.

I stayed at a place called "Cozy Little Apartment" which is on the Phuentsholing Thimphu Highway near Babesa Circle. I would not recommend this place if you are with family, since the stay is with the owners who were very sweet, but the place was small and low on privacy.

In Punakha, I did not book the accommodation in advance. Reached Punakha in the night and got a good deal in one of the hotels as soon as I entered Punakha near the petrol bunk. The hotel was decent for a night's stay.

Google Maps worked like a charm throughout.
Aashish_390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 14:03   #49
BHPian

Went through your travelogue today & I'm in total awe of doing this feat SOLO.

I feel there could have been more pics but so far the write-up & pics are well weighted.
If you can still post a couple of pics in another post, it would be great [Along with the videos].

Can you post Fuel Log for the Entire Trip?
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post

Google Maps worked like a charm throughout.
How much money did you convert into for Bhutan and Nepal?
Old 25th March 2019, 15:51   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much money did you convert into for Bhutan and Nepal?
In Bhutan it wasn't a big problem as they accept INR everywhere. Still I kept around 20K (a little more than that) and for Nepal I converted INR 15K but I had to convert again later during my stay. Also, kept 100INR denomination of 9K INR since 500/200/2000 are banned in Nepal. Remaining money was converted before entering India in both the countries.

But it all depends on each individual, the limit is endless to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Went through your travelogue today & I'm in total awe of doing this feat SOLO.

I feel there could have been more pics but so far the write-up & pics are well weighted.
If you can still post a couple of pics in another post, it would be great [Along with the videos].

Can you post Fuel Log for the Entire Trip?
Thanks catchdoon. I haven't edited the videos yet, they are raw as of now. Will do it, need to find some time. I do not have a detailed fuel log for the entire trip, but I spent something close to 28-30K on fuel. The terrains which I rode on were not FE friendly.

Last edited by Aashish_390 : 25th March 2019 at 15:55.
Aashish_390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 08:47   #52
BHPian

Read the log in one go since yesterday and it's so refreshing to a tale of sheer hard work and determination, especially since most of the days had long riding hours and you hardly had resting days.
Kinda nostalgic of my solo ride to Sikkim and Bhutan way back in 2019.
Cheers and wish you many more of these!
katoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 14:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom View Post
Read the log in one go since yesterday and it's so refreshing to a tale of sheer hard work and determination, especially since most of the days had long riding hours and you hardly had resting days.
Kinda nostalgic of my solo ride to Sikkim and Bhutan way back in 2019.
Cheers and wish you many more of these!
Thank you for reading Katoom. I don't think it is a lot of hard work as we venture out to enjoy and these type of rides keeps me alive. Just need to the right amount of planning and have confidence in yourself everything else falls in place automatically.

And, I rested in Lucknow (my native) for a good 2-3 days after both the countries before I started back for Bengaluru. After Mustang, you definitely need some rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks