Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2019, 13:00   #1
BHPian

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya

Stuff your eyes with Wonder, Live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds, SEE THE WORLD...Its more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories - Ray Bradbury

Finally after almost a month post the trip, still the scenery remains fresh in our eyes and heads, its time to pen down before my bad memory takes over

It all started over a smoke break on top of our office during last November, when we were discussing where to next July (we did Leh during July 2018), we had in mind Bhutan at that time, however AK (our COO) mentioned how about Zero. At that time I didn't even knew there was a place called Ziro at Arunachal. Did some more research and by Jan we all had agreed that we are going to Arunachal and do NE trip instead of Bhutan. And that's where it all started.

Slowly time passed and by May when we were planning to finalize July - realized rains would hit and no point riding down during this time. Hence moved the dates to November.

During the initial planning phase there were supposed to be 9 of us. AK and his wife with his Trail Hawk (which he bought specifically for the trip), Priya (our CEO) and her husband, Deepak, Amrita, Manish (joining from NCR), Nat and I.

Unfortunately only Nat and I started from Bangalore on our bikes, Amrita and Deepak joined at Siliguri and Manish rode from NCR. Deepak and Manish stayed only for 6 days though until Kalimpong.

Given all the changes during the last moments, we had to book a Zoom Car at Siliguri and do Siliguri to Siliguri using the car leaving our rides at the hotel as Amrita and Deepak aren't experienced at hills.

So finally 5609 Kms was the Odo reading on my Street Triple and 3611 was in Zoom car. Let me tell you Google really played with us, I am really...will tell you more.

With all the basic details penned down, lets go...

What we had planned and what actually happened -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-9220_trip_plan.jpg

Its a 30 day trip full of fun, adventure, problems and awesomeness everywhere so I may take a while to complete, I am super excited to share the whole story, I am sure you would be too and would bear with me -

Teaser videos and pictures to start with -

Salute -

How is the josh after 9000 Kms, lets see -

And lets go -

Loaded and all set to go -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191012_090030.jpg

Pure Gold -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191107_054710.jpg

When tiny things have such beauty-
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120019.jpg

One of many such beauties -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191111_082900.jpg

Bumla - 400 meters behind is China...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191111_104426.jpg

ChakZam Bridge - 600 years old - and we were privileged...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191112_160852.jpg

Dancing lady orchid flower, many more to come...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191115_085443.jpg

When you walk underneath -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191117_150956.jpg

Entry point
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191117wa0160.jpg

Bangladesh border -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191119_125140.jpg

Asia's cleanest village -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191119_151004.jpg

One of the many sunsets -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191119_161819.jpg

I love the Duke -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191102wa0001.jpg

Gang United -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191105wa0063.jpg

United for good -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191105wa0065.jpg

Rainbow Yay -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191105wa0084.jpg

My personal favourite-
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191108wa0017.jpg

Somewhere at Zuluk loops -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191108wa0069.jpg

Before Nathula, waiting for Chinese Trucks to pass -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191108wa0100.jpg

Hello beautiful -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191110wa0029.jpg

Sela pass -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191110wa0061.jpg

Who is Hot? Undoubtedly the monk!
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191112wa0048.jpg

Excited yet?
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191116wa0015.jpg

Pristine -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191117wa0034.jpg

Dawki -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191119wa0042.jpg

Reunion with Manish (in the middle & nat at extreme right) -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191125wa0076.jpg

After the trip post the weekend back at office with full josh -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191202wa0002.jpeg

And we will begin with Day 0 now -
Attached Thumbnails
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191117wa0286.jpg  

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st January 2020 at 12:38. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks!
srikanthpotluri is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 16:03   #2
BHPian

re: 9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya

Day 0 & Day 1 -

2 weeks before we had started got Kaara serviced and had to ride to Hyderabad and come due to personal reasons, did add Evotech radiator guard, handle bar risers, bought Enduristan 32L tail bag which was sturdy and handy. Triumph service folks were nice, they have rooted an extra clutch cable just in case and gave me one extra clutch lever and brake lever set and fuses, that's it, she was all set to go.

Original plan was to start on 31st morning, however for 2 weeks it was pouring cats and dogs at Bangalore, we were hoping rains would stop, and they didn't, so I thought of starting on 30th instead to give us time to reach Siliguri on time, if not for this decision, we wouldn't have.

AK's trail hawk, didnt join :(
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-1.jpg

Kaara getting the handle bar risers -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-2.jpg

Evotech guard and tail bag procured -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-3.jpg

Added the gel seat as well, ready post service at Triumph -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-4.jpg

All this had to be fitted into my tail bag, tank bag and one cabin luggage which Amrita was bringing on 4th -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-5.jpg

Somehow managed to put in what was planned and still comfortable -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-6.jpeg

Nat had to start on 29th and reach my place so that we can start early, he stays near Kengeri...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-7.jpg

Interceptor - All ready too..
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191227wa0011.jpg

All his friends and family wished us luck on 29th itself -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-8.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191227wa0009.jpg

Deepak, me and Nat caught up on 29th evening - were still hoping rains would stop -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-9.jpg

It was drizzling continuously, plan was to start at 6 AM -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-10.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191227wa0014.jpg

Set to Zero -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-11.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191227wa0012.jpg

Ended up starting at 7AM -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-12.jpg

Any second thoughts - No
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-img20191227wa0016.jpg

Here we go -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-13.jpg

Awesome roads to begin with -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-14.jpg

Somewhere post Kolar I think -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-15.jpg

Post Kolar had breakfast, probably our last south indian breakfast -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-16.jpg

First jolt - I was waiting here post Palamner for Nat to join, got a call from him that he lost his top box and he isnt aware where. I went back 30Kms as we rode some 50 kms post breakfast, no sign of it anywhere. Box had medicines, puncture kit, air compressor and few basic tools.
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-17.jpg

After facing some bad stretches, and touching the 4 lane highway at Naidupeta, we stopped here for lunch, food was awesome -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-18.jpg

Kaara resting as we were having lunch...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-19.jpg

Rest of the day couldnt take any more pics, we had refueled post lunch and could reach Nellore around 5:30, it was already dark and many flies and insects started flashing into our visor, couldnt ride at all, hence we stopped at a tea stall, took a call to halt at Nellore. Our plan was ride till Vijayawada, that is not happening now. So went into the city and stopped a hotel ordered food from Nellore Mess which was again awesome and took rest, as we had to start early cover the KMs we had missed today -

Last edited by srikanthpotluri : 27th December 2019 at 16:31.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 12:10   #3
BHPian

Day 2 - Had to hit Vizag

Started early by 6:30 AM, it was drizzling continuously and the moment we crossed about 50 KMs, it was pouring cats and dogs all the way until Rajahmundry, it was literally as though we were taking the storm along with us from Bangalore . Every 100Kms or 1 hr I would stop for a 5 min break where there is no rain and within 5 mins rain hits us. Crossing Vijayawada wasn't east at all. Roads were all the way good until Vizag. This was probably the only day between Nellore and Vijayawada we rode for 2 hrs continuously thanks to the rains and good roads.

Lets go -

Stopped for tea within half an hour as the hotel couldnt serve us anything that early -

Sky behind is clear, right...
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-2.1.jpg

Look at whats ahead -

That's what we were getting into, and it became worse after half an hour -

Another break just after a toll plaza -

It was very humid inspite of the rains -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-6.jpg

We were already tired and its just morning -

After crossing the toll at Vijayawada entry, had delicious breakfast -

I am hungry

After crossing Vijayawada finally rains stopped and heat took over :(

Crossed Rajahmundry had a tea break -

Found a coffee day finally after crossing Annavaram - well deserved break -

Refreshed but we still had atleast 3 more hours to go to reach -

My favourite of the day -

Finally reached Vizag Fairfield by Marriot around 8:30 PM -

Got ready and came down for couple of drinks and dinner - everything was nice and service was really good -
Attached Thumbnails

srikanthpotluri is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 13:36   #4
BHPian

Day 3 - Had to reach Bhubaneshwar.

By now you all could have guessed one thing, our bums were aching like hell, even after resting, my gel seat was of no use and Nat had put some plush seat on his Interceptor, but only pillion seat on his ride had all the comfort. Anyways we had to do a lot of clean up of gear and we started late post breakfast by 9:30 AM only.

Since Marriot was close to highway and almost at the entry point from where we came, we had to cross the city during peak hours and it took a toll on us, post Vizag roads started deteriorating and they became worse, there was too much construction going on everywhere and the heat I cannot even start on this, it was a very bad day for us overall.

When we reached Chilika lake it was already dark by 5 and we were wondering how will we reach Bhubaneshwar today, we thought of stopping as again there were flies hitting us, had no choice, we realized we had to if we want to keep upto schedule. We moved on somehow gathered energy and finally reached around 8:30 PM to our hotel-The Presidency, had dinner and slept off as we were too stoked from the ride. Again food was excellent and the fish was even better, though we couldn't take any pictures.

Among our bum pains and bad roads one thing I almost forgot, it was exciting for us as Manish from Gurugram was starting today to join us at Siliguri and what roads at Northern part, the timings he was doing left us in

All set to join us and excited -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-m1.jpg

He started at 5:30 AM from Gurugram -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-m2.jpg

Love the color on this one -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-m3.jpg

He has reached Kanpur at 12:30 PM and stayed at his parents place, covered 512 Kms!
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-m4.jpg

Nat trying to dry his shoes, poor hair dryer it was dying every 3 mins -

Will take some more time buddy -

I realized my water pack had a leak, its gone, done, now what should I do -

Our favorite idly vada, once again -

And the chutneys were awesome -

Decent roads to begin with or in interim we found these stretches, that's all -

Kaara holding on too -

Love the way sun was playing with me and my camera -

Are you hungry?

We stopped here for yet again another decent meal - 9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-11.jpg

Near Chilika Lake, had a tea, are you tired buddy? or should we give up for the day, answer is NO -

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st January 2020 at 12:41. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks!
srikanthpotluri is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 14:58   #5
BHPian

Day 4 - destination as per google is Bardhaman and its actually called Burdwan.

We did rest well the previous night and were a bit better in the morning, started around 8:30 AM post breakfast, and the initial 100-150 Kms were okay, then again we found alot of construction going around and it didnt allow us to maintain the speeds we would like to.

At Kolaghat we stopped for tea and it was already 5:30 PM and dark, we were wondering how will we reach Burdwan, we were super tired and bums were hurting real bad for both. We took an hours break and were contemplating on stopping for the day. We even looked at a place nearby in Google and heading there, however once we were on the bikes where we need to take deviation towards hotel, I stopped and told Nat - lets proceed, he nodded. We reached Decathlon Howrah by 7:15 and they were already closing. Security guard did not allow us in, however the staff came and helped us, we got the cycling gel shorts and wore them. The last 100 Kms were a bliss - both roads and thanks to the shorts. We could not have possibly ridden with these.

We were surprised at the road quality, while there was no visibility, road was dead straight and an awesome tarmac, we could maintain good speeds and reached the hotel with some energy left.

Meanwhile Manish has started the day at 6:30 AM and reached Motihari covering 540 Kms for the day.

Much better a morning for us -

From today these started - bread butter or

Poori Bhaji -

Began our journey forward from Presidency -

Initial 100-150 Kms were like this -

This was almost around 1:30 PM, where we had hot tea and had mixed roads before and after both -

I stopped under a tree and was waiting for Nat -

Still Waiting -

He reaches after about 5 mins, we were discussing about rest of the day -

Had stopped here for lunch, good one hour atleast and it was already 4'ish -

Finally after many dilemmas in our heads and thanks to Decathlon team and WB good roads, we did reach our hotel -

Meanwhile Manish left Kanpur at 6:30 AM and was tearing apart the roads -

Has reached Motihari by 3 PM covering 540 Kms, why we didnt such stretches we were again wondering -
Attached Thumbnails

srikanthpotluri is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Day 5 - Had to reach Siliguri and catch up with Manish, aim was reach by 6:30 PM and we reached at? -

We left Sinclair by 9:00 AM and followed google maps, it was all two lane roads for a very long time and we caught 4 lane for some time in between and once again only just before Siliguri. Crossing Malda bypass was a nightmare. Roads were not for bikers nor a supersports version, only a Versys or a Tiger could have probably kept up. I was riding in 20KMPH or so for many parts of the day today. There were many stretches were potholes were not of crater size but you can guess and roads were dug up and what not, it was just a horrible stretch especially in the dark.

About 60 Kms before Farakka bridge there was another small bridge and it was only stones and gravel and post crossing this one, we were on a 4 lane road, our smile came very quickly to an end as my rear tyre started wobbling, realized its a puncture for sure, i was near a large HP petrol pump, however the tyre shop outside was closed, Nat went ahead to check where the puncture shop is and it was just 200 meters ahead, I went into HP bunk got the air filled and went to the puncture shop, guess how many punctures were found?

After the puncture was fixed we crossed the mighty Ganges and went on, however again roads were not that great and to top on that we found the largest fleet of trucks in our life, crossing them was a nightmare in itself, and when we were around 100 Kms before Siliguri google started playing with us, we covered 50 Kms, and stopped for a tea break, and then google said another 90 Kms, we were wondering what happened to the distance we came, this happened atleast 3-4 times.

And when we were 50 Kms before Siliguri, my tyre wobbled again at almost 10:15 PM. Everything was closed and pitch dark, but a stranger helped us, took us to the nearest tyre shop and brought the sleeping owner down from his home and got the tyre fixed, guess how many now?

Finally we reached Siliguri - Royal Sarovar Portico at 1:00 AM and caught up with Manish, who kept the drinks ready for us

Day started well, but the heat was taking a toll in the morning itself -

Loved the fields -

Even Kaara loves them -

Puncture - O - Puntcure -

Fixing them - all 5 of them -

All set post the fixes, we began our ride towards Siliguri -

At Night 10:30 middle of nowhere, we got help, and he fixed 3 more :( -

Meanwhile Manish left Motihari in foggy conditions and reached Siliguri by 2:30 PM and was waiting for us -

Are you guys gonna join or not?
Attached Thumbnails

srikanthpotluri is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 20:51   #7
BHPian

Day 6 - Catching up with the Gang and reach Namchi.

Today was a relaxed day as we had no rush to get ready in the morning, we were chit chatting late at night given the time we had reached, woke up and had breakfast at leisure only by 10:00 AM. We checked the rear tyre of Kaara, it was completely gone,had ordered the same Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 at a tyre shop. It will reach by the time we come back to Siliguri.

We had to wait for Deepak and Amrita's flight to land which was on time at 1:30 PM, and they had to pick up the Zoomcar. By the time they had reached Hotel it was 3:30 PM, and after all the packing we left by 4:00 PM.

Yesterday night we did not realize as we were riding at midnight, given the size of the roads, getting out of Siliguri wasn't easy, there was too much traffic, anyways about 1 hr later it was okay and we started climbing the hills. Since all of us did not have lunch, we stopped for Maggie at a place and then resumed the ride/drive. Reached Summit Sobralia by 8:30 PM and all of us gathered and had a good evening and dinner.

It was dark pretty soon hence only few pictures could be captured -

Caught up with Manish -

Gang United -

Until Kalimpong these 3 were together, Kaara was left in the same hotel -

Teesta River - Beautiful...

One of the best maggie we ever had -

Reached the hotel at Namchi -

Hotel was really nice and service again was excellent -
Old 30th December 2019, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Day 7 - Day of Surprises -

I woke up with severe stomach pain, not sure what happened, but it was aching like hell, anyways after about 2 hours i stopped complaining, we were pretty relaxed and had breakfast and left the hotel around 8:30 AM, google mata told us we would reach Pelling-Ravangla-Gangtok by 5 PM Max. What happened was entirely different.

We were amazed at the road quality from Namchi to Ravangla, we reached the buddha park after taking few breaks and were already in awe at the beauty all around, by the time we reached buddha park it was around 12:00 PM, we had bought the tickets for a buggy and had to wait for another 45 mins for it to take us around, while the buggy was busy we were busy collecting few souvenirs, finally when we came out of buddha park it was close to 2:00 PM, plan was to reach Pelling, given the distance and timings shown by Google at this point, I realized roads aren't that great, so dropped pelling and left towards Gangtok.

Team was hungry, we couldn't find any parking nor place in the busy market area, we went about 1 Km ahead where the road was taking us down a hill, I spotted one lady peeping out of a hotel almost at the exit point, stopped the car, we went and checked, she said she would serve us lunch, man - she cooked everything fresh and made us wait for atleast 45 mins or so and probably one of the best meals we ever had.

All happy post lunch, we started our journey towards Gangtok, and straightaway drizzle, followed by rain, and soon we realized there are no roads, it was in complete chaos, anyways we kept on moving ahead. And then after 10 mins into the drive our Swift's brakes failed :(

I tried pumping the break as much as I can, could get about 20% of the bite, with this and Clutch and handbrake combination, it was the most difficult 50 Kms of drive so far in my life. Driving downhill was a major issue than anything else. Anyways finally somehow managed to drive till our hotel Muscatel Bellevue.

We all gathered at the terrace and we had our own party of sorts, it was cold and we were listening to Mr. Kishore Kumar and it was 1:30 Am before we went back down, met the owner of the property and his friend, they had suggested us to come up by 5:30 Am to see Kanchenjunga - and yes we were excited to know whats in store -

Good morning -

Breakfast time -

View from the hotel's backyard -

Throughout the route, found these large Christmas trees -

Ravangla -

Loved the entrance -

Buddha Park -

Buggy's route -

Selfie time -

Close up -

Gang with the Buddha -

Delicious is a small word -

Stopped here for a good view

Loved the colors -

Last snap of the day as it was dark and post this Swift's brakes failed -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-23.jpg
Old 30th December 2019, 11:26   #9
BHPian

Day 8 - At Gangtok -

Even though we slept very late around 2:00 Am, we woke up early to catch the glimpse of Kanchenjunga and rushed to the terrace by 5:30 AM and everyone were awestruck with the view we got - here we go -

Have no words to describe - see it to believe it -

That's Pure Gold -

We just sat there still watching the mountain for over 2 hours -

Kind of lucky that clouds gave way -

Name caught my eye

Nat and Manish had to visit RTO to procure permission for Nathula pass, while Amrita and I headed out immediately towards Maruti Service center, had breakfast on the way and reached center by 10:00 AM, car has to be in queue only then they will address given the way center was designed, it took 2:30 hours for our turn and finally within 10 minutes they had fixed the issue, new brake pads were added and there was no other concern, thank fully, so the trip can go on as planned -

At the service station -

Finally we reached our hotel and there was this small joint next door, 10PM, had these small cubicles with different football clubs names - we chose Chelsea, though I am a Liverpool fan -

Awesome Chilly Pork -

Common sight overhere -

Had lunch and all of us took rest for a while, Gang wanted to go to a Casino, I wasn't interested though, some place was suggested by Hotel's receptionist, we went in search of it, i guess its called Pub25, not sure, but it was very shady, even at 8:30 PM, we did not want to go in, so we spotted one board which was actually near our hotel, we went it and we liked the place -

Still Guessing?

That's the place, would definitely recommend -

Great ambiance, food and service, until they cleaned up the place, they let us enjoy our party till closure -

Overall a great day, with the brakes fixed, permissions set and we were looking forward for Nathula and Zuluk loops -

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st January 2020 at 12:49. Reason: Removed alcohol pictures and references. Forum rule#11.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:18   #10
BHPian

Day 9 -
Since Zoomcar is not allowed at Nathula, we hired a driver who will take our Swift and park at our hotel at Kalimpong and we took another cab Innova to visit Nathula and Zuluk and reach Kalimpong. Nat and Manish rode their respective rides.

Wont say much will let the pictures do the talking today -

Given yesterday's sighting of the mountain (yes here they refer to this mountain as a Tiger and if clouds give way you are lucky), we were excited to try our luck again, woke up at 4AM and went to the terrace by 4:30, wanted to watch the whole thing unfolding and clouds did play their part, but we were glad to watch what we could -

Still in the first light -

And it started -

When it was pure gold clouds played their part today :(

Left hand side one -

Myth is this peak in ice would never melt, if it does then world comes to and end, not sure how true it is -

By the time clouds gave way, day light comes out-

View from our room -

Muscatel Bellevue -

Small, but new and quiet a good place, terrace is the best part -

We had breakfast early and were waiting for our Innova to arrive, it was scheduled at 7:30 AM, he reached us at 9:15 AM and we started our journey for the day by 9:30 AM-

3rd Mile Check Post -

On the way to Nathula -

Tsongmo Lake - our driver did mention there are better ones ahead -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-15.1.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-15.2.jpg

We were waiting here for the chinese trucks to pass, only then they would allow us to move towards Nathula - Spot the Black Cat -

Nat at Natula -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-17.1.jpg

If you go upto to the top, you can see the fence of the borders, however no photography over there -

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-21.jpg

Looks like a black lake, it isnt though -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-22.jpg

Left Nathula and we were hungry -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-24.jpg

Our riders ahead -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-25.jpg

Highest golf course in the world@13025 ft, its said they even plan when its full of ice, wonder how -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-26.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-27.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-28.jpg

It looked like I was back at Leh for a moment -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-29.jpg
Old 31st December 2019, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Day 9 - Continues....

Reached Kupup -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-30.jpg

Went into one small place, had Momos and awesome Maggie yet again -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-31.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-32.jpg

Want to try one? -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-33.jpg

Elephant lake -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-34.jpg

Respect -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-35.jpg

Reached Baba Harbhajan Singh temple -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-36.jpg

Clouds were coming up
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-37.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-38.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-39.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-40.jpg

Heading towards Zuluk loops -

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-41.jpg

Due to the extensive cloud cover, this is all I could capture -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-42.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-43.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-44.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-45.1.jpg

Here there was a tea shop, had hot tea and we started climbing downhill -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-45.jpg

We stopped ahead to take some photographs, our riders join us -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-46.jpg

Loved what happens next -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-47.jpg

Nat and Manish's expressions, cannot stop laughing -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-49.jpg

Still trying -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-50.jpg

Needless to say -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-51.jpg

One last shot of the scenery before we head down -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-52.jpg

Moon and it was about to get dark -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-52.1.jpg

In no time it was dark and we had one of the best sunsets here - however post Zuluk, roads were in construction mode and were bad and it took a long while for us to reach decent roads again, finally after couple of tea breaks, reached our hotel - Shikher Guest House by 9:30 PM.
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-53.jpg

Last edited by srikanthpotluri : 31st December 2019 at 23:34.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:47   #12
BHPian

Day 10 - Destination Mangaldoi.

Today wasn't a pleasant day to begin with, mainly because Manish and Deepak were departing, Manish started his ride back to Gurugram as he had to attend to work post weekend and Deepak had to catch a flight to Bhubaneshwar to visit his mom as she was unwell. They both left before it was 7:30 AM.

Anyways now that we know this, we had breakfast and our spirits lifted with the fact that we are heading towards Awesome Arunachal, we took sometime to get ready and started by 9:00 AM from Shikher Guest House, I would highly recommend this place anyone visiting Kalimpong, excellent view of the Kanchenjunga and great food and service.

Will let the pictures do the talking for the day -

View from our room, we heard so much about what is about to come up -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_061424.jpg

Still opening up, ofcourse we woke up late, thanks to late evening party after yesterday's long day, so couldn't see the gold -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_061516.jpg

Still opening -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_061542.jpg

Now -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_061618.jpg

Awesome -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_065852.jpg

I sat for 1.5 hrs without moving in awe -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_070842.jpg

And its 2 hours -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_070845.jpg

I realized I can sit here for 2 or 3 days without moving, that's what atleast it did to me, hence if you are going to come here, spend minimum of 2 nights, minimum -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_070948.jpg

Shikher Guest house -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_084746.jpg

We came down and had a tea break here -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_095916.jpg

Tea plantations along the route -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_111351.jpg

Stopped at this shade for a break after a long drive -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_115156.jpg

Nat and I -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_115256.jpg

Nat, Ammu and I -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_115325.jpg

I was catching these little ones, they were awesome -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_115953.jpg

My personal favourite of the day - it was so tiny, was there a led plug inside?
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120013.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120202.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120235.jpg

Swift resting too -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120318.jpg

Only 3 of us left now -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120358.jpg

But all smiles given what's ahead -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_120416.jpg

Good roads kept our spirits up -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_140721.jpg

We were hungry and spotted this place on the opposite side of the road, Chicken was spelled as Chichen -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_145635.jpg

However the service was good -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_143227.jpg

And food, should I say anymore? -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_143248.jpg

Cross this bridge and you are in Assam -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_152331.jpg

We are still crossing -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_152341.jpg

And crossed-
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_152406.jpg

Who is taking whom? Anyways Bhutan border was close and we could see many cars with Bhutanese registration plates -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_164953.jpg

It was just 5:15 PM and it was already pitch dark, had tea here and then kept driving till Mangaldoi, last 50 odd KMs were not that great, thanks to the awesome truck traffic and their high/fog beams. We reached our hotel - Blue Orchid and rested for the night. My eyes were almost swollen from the drive.
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191108_173120.jpg
srikanthpotluri is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 21:04   #13
BHPian

Day 11 - Reaching Dirang.

Forgot to mention about previous evening after entering Assam, traffic cops here do try to stop everywhere to see if somehow they can manage to make something, we were warned about this by our driver, anyways 2 times we faced this issue previous night, but given the amount of documentation Zoom car, they let us go.

Today was a relaxed day we knew there is less distance as compared to most of our other days, and climbing the hills. We were excited to enter Arunachal. By the way do you know India's first sunray's fall at Arunachal.

Hotel was again a new one I guess or renovated, there was a movie theater below , place was super clean and very modern, very comfortable and good food served by the boys over there, we left around 9:00 AM after my call with "M" -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_084548.jpg

Need to say more?
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_085926.jpg

Lovely -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_090216.jpg

Ammu was fascinated by these carriers -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_090903.jpg

Good roads kept our spirits up -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_0914460.jpg

Stopped at a railway gate, and I took this, but most importantly, there was hardly any traffic, and few vehicles, everyone were standing in queue, including 2 wheelers behind 4 wheelers, lesson to be learnt by all the educated in metros.
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_095250.jpg

Turned right here towards the hills -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_100919.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_100923.jpg

Stopped here, were wondering what will they have, everything in the cupboard there was hot and freshly prepared, truly humbling, had hot samosas and tea before we moved on -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_102015.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_103046.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_103428.jpg

On the left is Bhutan's one of the entry points-
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_103954.jpg

Bhutan's compound wall -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_104032.jpg

Exit this bridge and turn left towards Kalaktang and hills begin -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_104138.jpg

Immediately breaks begin too -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_121300.jpg

Most of this stretch is new so roads were excellent - 9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_121339.jpg

Spot the Devil -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_131942.jpg

Were you able to Spot the Devil again?
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_131950.jpg

9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_142339.jpg

Very common sight at the hills -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_142449.jpg

Love this guy, though he was nowhere to be seen -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_143003.jpg

Reached Bomdila, stopped near a shop here to buy playing cards and I saw this spot -
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_162233.jpg

Nat was sleeping, so took Ammu for a photo, and with all the layers, she was feeling cold , actually it was really cold, I call this photo - Kut kut kut kut you know...and my favorite of the day
9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya-20191109_162306.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st January 2020 at 12:28. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Lovely travelogue:)
Old 31st December 2019, 22:07   #14
BHPian

Day 12 - Sela Pass and reaching Tawang -

Most exciting day for us - without any further adieu lets go -

At Vamoose Trail Dirang -

They have a very good fruit orchard -

Tasted one of these, awesome -

On the way -

Stopped here for few photographs -

Who is taking who's photo?

Surprisingly no Kut Kut Kut Kut -

Feeling cold buddy?

You bet -

And a Selfie -

And here we go, we are heading towards Sela Pass, and rest is all here -

Will we find the Snowfall? Let's See -

srikanthpotluri is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 10:29   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 9220 km Trip to Superb Sikkim, Awesome Arunachal & Magnificent Meghalaya

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks