Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 16:45   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorcycling to Western Arunachal - Tawang and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
Brilliant log //M!

The route to Zemithang looks so beautiful and serene. I have made a note to visit the place via the less travelled route you have described. Your ride brought back wonderful memories for me. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding Pakke Tiger Reserve, it is a really wild cousin of the Nameri National Park . There is a mud track (which requires a 4wd) running from Bhalukpong to Pakke. I drove a bit on this road from Pakke side and my Bolero 4wd got stuck in the middle of the jungle! Leaving a picture here to entice you for a next trip here:
Thank You gunin. The Shungetsar - Zemithang route is indeed rewarding and you must consider taking this route atleast for one side of the journey. For the return leg, you can take the much shorter and less time consuming Lumla route.

Pakke Tiger Reserve is indeed an uncharted territory. A few of my friends were there in February 2020, some pictures and stories they shared were truly bone chilling. Hope to do a trip to Pakke Tiger Reserve, Nameri National Park and Kaziranga National Park over a week or so, in the near future !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Nair View Post
What a wonderful travelogue, rated 5*.

I beleive Tawang is highly underrated. It's among the most beautiful destinations to visit in India. The Sela Pass–>Tawang–>BumLa Pass route is a scenic route that one should definitely experience once in their lives.

This travelogue reminded me of my visit to the region a few years back. We visited in Mid November. The weather, especially along the route to Bum La Pass is highly unpredictable. We too were stuck amidst a fierce blizzard. Our car got stuck in thick snow & the oxygen levels were dwindling, but then, the friendly jawans came & helped us out and we proceeded to have chai and samosa with those bravehearts at the border. We were lucky enough to be the only visitors over there on the eventful day, a moment I'll forever cherish. A big salute to them who are working in those extreme environments.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist myself from photobombing the thread
Thank You for sharing such beautiful clicks, Saurav_Nair. The weather around Bumla indeed gets unpredictable. The thin oxygen and low vegetation plus the cold winds on a bad weather day could actually prove to be a nightmare. Apart from us, there were only two more tourists at Bumla and they left early so we had the entire place to ourselves for a while. It was truly one of the most cosseting moment of this trip !

As for our Armed Forces, we can never thank them enough. We can only bow down in respect to the soldiers who are guarding our borders in such difficult terrain and such harsh weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
ADC Da had told me about Zemithang and after that it would have been a sin to miss it.

So this travelogue brought you out of hibernation! It deserves 10 stars just for that reason
Great to see you back in action ADC Da.
I am certainly honoured that ADC sir went through this thread and shared his views.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 18:25   #32
BHPian

Excellent write up dada. Feel jealous for sure. Can you please share the detailed plan with places and distance you covered daily. Will be helpful for someone who is planning.
Sunny_ST3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:19   #33
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
Excellent write up dada. Feel jealous for sure. Can you please share the detailed plan with places and distance you covered daily. Will be helpful for someone who is planning.
Thank you Sunil.

The itinerary is as below:

Day 1 : Pune - Kolkata - Guwahati (flight)

Day 2 : Guwahati - Kalaktang - Shergaon - Bomdila (280 kms covered over 11 hrs including multiple short breaks)

Day 3 : Bomdila - Sela Pass - Nuranang Waterfalls - Tawang (180 kms covered over 7.5 hrs including multiple short breaks)

Day 4 : Tawang - Bumla Pass - Shungetsar Lake - Tawang (100 kms covered over 10 hrs including multiple short and a couple of long breaks)

Day 5 : Tawang - PT Tso - Shungetsar Lake - T Gompa - Zemithang (80 kms covered over 6 hrs including multiple short breaks and one long break at T Gompa)

Day 6 : Zemithang - Lumla - Tawang (80 kms covered over 3 hrs including one or two short breaks)

Day 7 : Tawang - Jaswant Garh - Sela Pass - Bomdila (170 kms covered over 7 hrs including multiple short breaks and one long break at Jaswant Garh War Memorial)

Day 8 : Bomdila - Bhalukpong (100 kms covered over 5 hrs including multiple short breaks plus low riding speeds due to very very heavy downpour and landslides)

Day 9 : Bhalukpong - Tezpur - Nagaon - Kamakhya (220 kms covered over 7 hrs including multiple short breaks and a short detour towards Nameri National Park)

Day 10 : Guwahati - Kolkata - Pune (flight)

We had not planned to stay at Bhalukpong on Day 8. Instead, the plan was to ride back to Guwahati on Day 8 itself and ride upto Umiam Lake and back on Day 9. However due to heavy downpour before Bhalukpong, all our bags and riding gear were so drenched despite rain covers or plastic covers that we couldn't ride any further and decided to stop at Bhalukpong for the night till our belongings were dry. Else, Bomdila - Bhalukpong - Guwahati is easily doable in a day.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 19:30   #34
BHPian

An amazing read //M. This has brought so many memories flashing my mind right now. My father was a govt. employee with Arunachal Pradesh transport. Probably the most important reason for me to love automobiles, as I have literally lived amongst them. We have seen and lived in almost every district there at Arunachal before I moved to Delhi for graduation. The pictures here brings back 4 years of my childhood I lived there at Bomdila.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 10:42   #35
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
An amazing read //M. This has brought so many memories flashing my mind right now. My father was a govt. employee with Arunachal Pradesh transport. Probably the most important reason for me to love automobiles, as I have literally lived amongst them. We have seen and lived in almost every district there at Arunachal before I moved to Delhi for graduation. The pictures here brings back 4 years of my childhood I lived there at Bomdila.
Thank You Tuisha110HP.

Your childhood stories must be quite exciting given the mention of mountains and valleys and that is something truly great to hear. I really wish to explore more of Arunachal Pradesh, specially West Siang, Upper Siang, Dibang Valley and maybe the Namdapha National Park as well. Hope to get some time off from work next year and see if I can accommodate a trip to Eastern Arunachal.
Old 30th April 2020, 10:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post

I actually lost the contact number of the homestay in Zemithang, but it is easy to locate as the homestay is one of the bigger houses in this small village. The network connectivity is extremely poor in Zemithang so even if you get hold of a contact number, it is unlikely that you will be able to connect.

That said, I travelled in March 2018. The network connectivity might have improved by now. I am hoping that there might have been an increase in number of homestays as well, given how popular Zemithang has become off late.
I didn't do this/cannot do this as my trips are with friends/family/kids. The planned trip this May first week was for 4 families and kids. So, i try to get a confirmed booking before visiting a place. Also, Zemithang is quite off the radar and it will be a risk to turn up there without a booking. But thanks for the info.
Old 30th April 2020, 11:14   #37
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
I didn't do this/cannot do this as my trips are with friends/family/kids. The planned trip this May first week was for 4 families and kids. So, i try to get a confirmed booking before visiting a place. Also, Zemithang is quite off the radar and it will be a risk to turn up there without a booking. But thanks for the info.
I totally understand your plight. I re-checked but sadly I have lost the contact number of the homestay I stayed in. However, I have PM'd you a couple of contact numbers which might be relevant. I will update you in case I come across any more relevant info regarding homestays.

EDIT:

You may also check Page 12-13 of this document which has contact numbers of homestays from Lumpo and Muchut, which are villages near Zemithang (approximately 30 mins away), as well as contact numbers of the Government Tourist Lodge and Inspection Bungalow at Zemithang. Here is the link to the document - Dept of Tourism

Last edited by //M : 30th April 2020 at 11:17.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 01:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

What a wonderful travelogue! I’ve always admired your writing style where you’re able to rope together the details of place, routes and the technical details of the vehicles so effortlessly in your all logs. Through your story, I was able to see the beautiful Arunachal. That landslide experience must have been scary though; I remember you told me about this earlier. Stay safe. Keep sharing such wonderful stories of your travel.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:49   #39
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What a wonderful travelogue! I’ve always admired your writing style where you’re able to rope together the details of place, routes and the technical details of the vehicles so effortlessly in your all logs. Through your story, I was able to see the beautiful Arunachal. That landslide experience must have been scary though; I remember you told me about this earlier. Stay safe. Keep sharing such wonderful stories of your travel.

Regards,
Saket.
Thank You so much, Sir.

The multiple landslides were extremely scary specially since our feet were inside ankle deep flowing murky muddy water in that stretch. We had no idea where the tyres were going as the water was way too muddy. Infact at one point of time, I saw a Maruti 800 stuck as it was hit by a shooting stone on the fender. I stopped to help push it but constant shooting stones and a massive landslide few metres ahead had literally blocked the road. So much so that I was in two minds whether to help him or to escape and save my life first !

The driver who was the only person in the car, jumped out and ran to a safer spot. I somehow escaped that road block as there was room enough for a motorcycle to pass through. Some local construction or plantation workers were also stuck but on the other side as they were on their way up towards Bomdila. The Maruti 800 driver went near their truck which was parked at a much safer wider section. Much relieved on seeing this, we rode on towards Bhalukpong. There was no proper shelter or any option where we could have parked our bikes and stayed there till the cloudburst was over so we continued to ride towards Bhalukpong with utmost caution. Luckily we did not encounter any more landslides after this one as the road made its way towards the foothills. It was quite a scary experience though !

Considering your love for the mountains, music and the North-East, you must plan a trip to the Tawang sector as well as to Ziro for the Annual Music Festival which happens in September every year.
Old 2nd May 2020, 20:03   #40
BHPian

Great travelogue //M and rated 5 stars too.
Detailed narration will help future travelers to these mountains.

I had visited Western Arunachal in December 2019 but the NRC related disturbances forced me to abandon Zemithang and Nameri from the plan. Will try to log a thread here.

Keep travelling and sharing.

Best Regards,
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 2nd May 2020 at 20:08.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:22   #41
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Great travelogue //M and rated 5 stars too.
Detailed narration will help future travelers to these mountains.

I had visited Western Arunachal in December 2019 but the NRC related disturbances forced me to abandon Zemithang and Nameri from the plan. Will try to log a thread here.

Keep travelling and sharing.

Best Regards,
Sayak
Many thanks Sayak da.

Your travelogues are always a delightful read. You must pen down your adventure, would be a treat to see these places through your lens.
Old 4th May 2020, 21:52   #42
BHPian

Great travelogue //M with superb pictures. Arunachal is on my to do list for long. Planned to visit the state many times but somehow they always fell through.

I have a query: do you have any idea about travelling to eastern Arunachal? Especially Dibang? There is a shocking dearth of information on Dibang on the internet. Even the YouTube videos mostly show Anini. I am very attracted to the place because of its remoteness and because its such a big high altitude forest with a view of the snow capped mountains bordering Tibet.
avi_swift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 16:57   #43
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_swift View Post
Great travelogue //M with superb pictures. Arunachal is on my to do list for long. Planned to visit the state many times but somehow they always fell through.

I have a query: do you have any idea about travelling to eastern Arunachal? Especially Dibang? There is a shocking dearth of information on Dibang on the internet. Even the YouTube videos mostly show Anini. I am very attracted to the place because of its remoteness and because its such a big high altitude forest with a view of the snow capped mountains bordering Tibet.
Thank you avi_swift.

Upper Dibang and Anini have been on my radar as well since quite a while now and I do agree with you regarding the dearth of information available about these places. I am yet to meet someone who has already been to Dibang and sadly I do not possess any relevant information either. But I have come across some nice posts on instagram by like-minded travellers. These posts do not reveal much information though, but the pictures are extremely tempting !
Old 11th May 2020, 23:34   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Thank you avi_swift.

Upper Dibang and Anini have been on my radar as well since quite a while now and I do agree with you regarding the dearth of information available about these places. I am yet to meet someone who has already been to Dibang and sadly I do not possess any relevant information either.
Whenever you decide to visit any part of Arunachal Pradesh, PM your queries and I will be happy to help with whatever little knowledge I have with the place. The eastern part of Arunachal Pradesh is now more accessible because of better road connectivity. Anini is a place where we used to see snow capped mountains almost all round the year and that too from Pasighat. The winds almost carried us to school in the mornings, it was that windy in Pasighat. Over the years, the places like Anini, Dibang, Dambuk, Menchuka have come up on the radar due to their pristine and untouched nature.

Regards.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th May 2020 at 00:04.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:07   #45
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue with pictures that give a good feeling of the adventure of the ride and the beauty of the rugged terrain.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks