Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 14:45   #1
BHPian

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip

Ladakh. The land of the passes. A name that sends the adrenaline rushing in almost all moto-enthusiast; and I am no exception. I don’t know for how long I have been yearning to drive thru the romantic wilderness of the Ladakhi region. Every time I see a picture, or a video of this place and my heart goes out to be there. But for some or the other reason, the mountains kept giving me the slip. As they say, ‘you will go to the mountains only when they beckon you’. Its not that I could not have taken a flight to Leh and then rented a taxi to take me around. But then what’s the point of calling myself a driving maverick if I am not behind the steering wheel, pushing the pedal, guiding my machine over rocks and stones, feeling the tyres struggle to get some traction on the snowy roads and posing with my beast amidst the towering mountains as the back drop?

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide17.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide24.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide26.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide27.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide88.jpg

Finally, the mountains relented, and I had my opportunity to live my dream in the summer of 2019. Yes, it’s been a year and half since I lived my dream; or should I say drove my dream. During this time, I must have relived every moment of that trip countless number of times – driving thru the treacherous terrains of Zozila and Khardungla, visualising war scenes in the cities of Kargil and Drass, wonderstruck by the smooth winding roads of Nameekla and Fotula, mesmerized by the beauty of the moonscapes of Lamayuru or thru the slippery and slushy tracks of Changla.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide6.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide21.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide28.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide51.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide55.jpg

Thanks to wife and kids who were my steadfast companion thru the trip, to my blue beast who drove me thru my dream and to the many fellow TBHPians who shared valuable information and tips to help me prepare for the trip.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide3.jpg

Honestly, I did attempt to pen my travelogue but couldn’t really do it - because I found it difficult to describe in words what I experienced on this trip. I could have given a detailed ‘report’ of how we went about this trip; but frankly speaking, enough and more of that information is available on TBhp as well as other sites.

Due to the Covid pandemic, lot of people have put on hold their travel plans, especially long road trips but even today people ask me how I went about the trip and the planning and preparations I did. I not only revelled in detailing out to minutest detail but also relived those memories. And it was those memories that inspired me to write this article – not a travelogue in the literal sense but sharing my learnings from this trip.

I hope you will find this not only interesting but also insightful and helpful if you are planning a trip to the Land of the Passes.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide14.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide15.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide16.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide53.jpg
Sandy28 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:52   #2
BHPian

re: What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip

Mind set and attitude
This is the biggest learning for me. A road trip to Ladakh is unlike any other road trips you may have done. To really experience the beauty and majesty of the place, you need to have the right attitude – towards nature, environment, human spirit, sense of being a part of the greater universe. For me, it was a very humbling experience – the lofty mountains, the barren landscapes and the pockets of human civilizations amidst all this. Despite their remoteness, I felt their quality of life and their knowledge of nature and good living was superior to we urbanites. All our interactions with the locals were so heart-warming; their simplicity and willingness to be of any help was so touching.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide12.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide18.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide19.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide57.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide58.jpg

Meticulous planning is where it all starts
All of us must have done plenty of trips. Every trip requires some amount of planning and preparation. But when it comes to a road trip to Ladakh, the scale and magnitude of planning and preparation required goes up many fold. The terrain, the changing altitude, the unpredictable weather, the low oxygen levels – all these conditions are very different from any other place we would have visited; so, it becomes critical that we equip ourselves with as much information and knowledge as possible which will help us plan so much better.

One important aspect of planning your Ladakh itinerary is to make sure to leave time for rest. Dont hurry through the schedule and pack too much into the day that you are always on the go. Remember your body needs more rest and time to acclimatize on this trip than on any other. Ladakh offers a variety of locations and it is impossible to cover all in one trip. So, leave some bits for subsequent visits.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide20.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide23.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide24.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide26.jpg  

Sandy28 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Get first hand report from recent self-driven visitors
This came very handy for me during my planning phase. Thanks to forums like TBhp and many others, it is now easy to connect with those who have recently done a self-driven trip to Ladakh. This will help in getting a better and deeper insight into the on-ground practicalities, dos and donts and prevailing conditions enroute. The inputs I received from many members here was very valuable and I will always remain thankful to them. This trip also helped me connect with many other like-minded fellow moto enthusiasts; that is the spirit of Ladakh, despite its remoteness, it connects people.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide29.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide30.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide21.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide32.jpg

Heed advices but also be rationale
During the planning and preparatory phase, you will get lots of advices from people around you – family, friends, colleagues. Their intentions are good but its always good to be practical and think more rationally. Its important that you know yourself, your driving skills, your co-passengers and most importantly your machine. Being over cautious beyond a point can kill the fun and excitement of the trip. Similarly, being over zealous and adventurous and venturing into terrains that is not suitable for your vehicle can be disastrous. Be practical in planning your itinerary and route. No point in being over adventurous and planning routes that your vehicle may not be ready for. Better to be rational than get stuck in the unknown

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide33.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide34.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide35.jpg

Driving on the go. Learning on the drive
Driving through Ladakh takes you through different terrains. Even if you dont intend to off road, you will be driving through some interesting terrains. Trust me, no matter how good a driver you are, Ladakh will test your driving skills like nobody else. I don’t mean to frighten anybody but yes, driving through Ladakh is a great learning experience. I have been driving for God knows how many years; when I set off on this journey, I thought I had planned my driving strategy for the different routes. But the actual drive taught me lot more about driving and vehicle control.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide38.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide39.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide40.jpg
Sandy28 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 15:07   #4
BHPian

No place for temptations
Ladakh is a simple place with simple people and simple lifestyle. If you are not used to mountains and altitudes, best to avoid nonveg, heavy food and alcohol. It is best to follow simple vegetarian diet, drink lot of water, stay well covered, drink safe water, no alcohol and nonveg. If you feel even slightly unwell, don’t hesitate to visit the doctor.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide41.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide42.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide43.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide44.jpg

Get up close with the Indian army
Ladakh is possibly the only place to see the Indian army from so close. The large number of battalions spread all over the place in their various hues is truly awe inspiring. You can see the army in almost all its different uniform. Savour every moment of it.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide45.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide46.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide47.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide68.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide69.jpg

Pack smart
A road trip to Ladakh will require you to carry additional stuff that you may have never carried before – fuel can, additional spares, woollens. So pack smart. Spares are critical. But know your vehicle and also trust it. Carrying too many spares will add to the cost and space. Keep good stock of dry snacks and water because it is hard to find any shop/eateries on the way.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide48.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide49.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide50.jpg

Ok to go with family and kids
Many people are apprehensive and reluctant to take kids. I think it is perfectly fine to take family and kids. But yes, you need to be a bit more careful and cautious. Keep your itinerary light for each day; keep kids well covered even if you are going in summers. Keep basic medicines handy and dont hesitate to seek medical help at any time.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide52.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide54.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide56.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide66.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide67.jpg

Every time a trip comes to an end, I feel a sense of sadness that the good times are over. But when the Ladakh trip ended, it was a different feeling. I felt like a part of me got left behind in the mountains. For sure, I will be going back to the mountains… to find myself - hopefully soon.

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide36.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-slide86.jpg
Sandy28 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 05:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2021 at 20:33.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 06:54   #6
BHPian

Aha. A break from the ordinary mundane. Loved your pics. Ladakh has turned you philosophical but then it has this strange mesmerising effect. Thanks for the travelogue. Loved it to bits.
knrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 08:09   #7
BHPian

Re: What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
Aha. A break from the ordinary mundane. Loved your pics. Ladakh has turned you philosophical but then it has this strange mesmerising effect. Thanks for the travelogue. Loved it to bits.
Thanks Knrn. You are right. Ladakh has this mesmerizing effect on you that will linger on inside you for very very long time. Glad you like the pics
Old 19th January 2021, 09:02   #8
BHPian

Hi,
Thanks for sharing, brings lot of fond memories. Did the Leh ladakh trip in 2013 with 3 of my friends on RE. The running joke among guys from the bullet club used to be make sure you can do 50 pushups and run 5km to consider yourself fit for ladakh. Except for one guy who was fit to the the fiddle the rest of us were a long way from that but we made the most of the trip. I am planning a second trip after this whole covid scenario blows over with family.
Incidentally some of the photos you have shared I have been in the same spot and probably similar angle of shots. Cheers.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 19th January 2021 at 09:04.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 10:08   #9
BHPian

Amazing photographs Sandy. Thank you so much for sharing. I always wanted to drive to Ladakh - but so far it has been elusive. It is the relatively wasteful coverage of some 5000 km in the total 7500 km to Ladakh from Madras. It is a major disadvantage for people like us from South India.
You didn't say much about your ride. Please do share the details.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 13:14   #10
BHPian

Thanks Sandy for penning down your experience, along with those drool worthy landscape shots . However, i wish it could go on for a couple of more pages, it almost ended abruptly. I was always apprehensive of taking family (read wife and daughter) on a long drive into the ghats. Please also share about how the Verna held on through out the trip? any underbody hits/scrapes. And your tips on driving over the rough/no roads.

Last edited by spr1ngleo : 19th January 2021 at 13:15.
spr1ngleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 14:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Mind set and attitude
For me, it was a very humbling experience – the lofty mountains, the barren landscapes and the pockets of human civilizations amidst all this.
Same here, having done numerous trips, the mountains always provide a humbling experience. The enormity of their size and the fury they can unleash teaches me that I am NOBODY and I should always respect the ULTIMATE FORCE.
Old 19th January 2021, 15:35   #12
BHPian

Brilliant pictures, and one heck of a trip! Your travelogue reminded me of my Ladakh trip back in 2014 on my CBR 250R.

I see trough your photographs that, there is a lot of improvement in the road conditions in most parts. One thing I loved during my trip was the challenge of navigating trough different and tough terrains. It really pushes a person to learn a lot!

Sorry for photobombing with a couple of pictures from my trip.

Camping near Pangong Tso:What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-dsc_0387.jpg

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-dscf3176.jpg

A flock of sheep on top of Zoji La:

What the mountains teach you | Learnings from my Ladakh road trip-dscf3053.jpg

Last edited by saikarthik : 19th January 2021 at 15:37.
saikarthik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 16:41   #13
BHPian

Lovely pics and write-up. Thanks Sandy28. Truly inspiring, and hope to take my car and family there in the not-too-distant future.

Om Mani Padme Hum.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 19:43   #14
BHPian

Lovely write-up Sandy28. What emotions! Nice inclusion of some helpful tips as well.

Of all the places I have been to in India, Ladakh and Spiti have been experiences beyond imagination. The raw nature and true beauty are something to cherish for rest of the lifetime. Thanks for sharing.
Old 19th January 2021, 21:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Thanks for sharing, brings lot of fond memories. Did the Leh ladakh trip in 2013 with 3 of my friends on RE. The running joke among guys from the bullet club used to be make sure you can do 50 pushups and run 5km to consider yourself fit for ladakh. Except for one guy who was fit to the the fiddle the rest of us were a long way from that but we made the most of the trip. I am planning a second trip after this whole covid scenario blows over with family.
Incidentally some of the photos you have shared I have been in the same spot and probably similar angle of shots. Cheers.
Thanks drrajasaravanan. Thats the magic of Ladakh. Once you visit the place, you feel like going again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Brilliant pictures, and one heck of a trip! Your travelogue reminded me of my Ladakh trip back in 2014 on my CBR 250R.

I see trough your photographs that, there is a lot of improvement in the road conditions in most parts. One thing I loved during my trip was the challenge of navigating trough different and tough terrains. It really pushes a person to learn a lot!

Sorry for photobombing with a couple of pictures from my trip.
Thanks saikarthik. Your pics too look amazing especially the one of the tent against the dark night sky with the stars in the background
Sandy28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks