Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 09:37   #1
BHPian

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip

Last Road Trip which we had was in the month of Dec 2019, Pune to Goa in our Amy (Honda Amaze).

Hi Everyone,

Ever Since the lockdown happened we were not able to roam around anywhere because of Covid scare and other restrictions. Lockdown had a huge impact on our mental and physical health.

I am from Jammu and so is my wife, finally decided to go spend remaining WFH from Jammu. I was tired of washing dishes 3 times a day and moreover the kid was restricted in a small 2 BHK flat. I always wanted to avoid day care for the kid and by God's grace my kid was lucky to spend his childhood with his grand parents.

But a road trip was always required. Wife didn't have leaves in her quota so narrowed down to only 2 days road trip.

Jammu has a favorite weekend getaway in the form of Patni Top. Hotel Green Top was shortlisted and yeah booking was done. Although it was just 120 KM drive from home but I was super excited. Bags were packed with jackets and other winter stuff as the temperature there was 1 degree minimum.
Kid's foldable crib along with Nan Pro, Cerelac and his toys were also packed.
Believe me its not that easy to travel with a 20 months old kid.

Day 1 27/02/2021

We started at 9:30 AM and after driving for 400m touched Jammu - Srinagar Highway. Drove for some 15 Kms and found National Highway was Blocked at Nagrota.

We stood there for 45 minutes and there was no sign of moving traffic. No information from administration either on the reason for blockage. A policeman saw us and my son gave him a smile and he was generous enough to arrange a U turn for us. We returned back to the city and stayed on the road side for 30 minutes almost.

Make my trip was generous and courteous enough to cancel our non - refundable booking for 0 charges. Although they took time but they understood our situation. Full marks to them.

Now what ?

Bags were already packed and so was the mood. BTW the car here was a Baleno (Petrol Zeta). Ample space, good stereo and best headlights and we call it our Bally. My Amy is still parked in Pune.

Wife gave an idea !

Lets move to Dalhousie or Amritsar. But as the stock which we had packed was for winters so Dalhousie. Hehehehehe. A spontaneous decision.

Started again at 11 AM and gave this surprise to my Dad over the phone.

Got the Tank Full with 91.40 Rs per litre.

Good thing is my home is very near to National Highway and we call it Jammu by pass road.

I was driving rather cruising on the wonderful Jammu Pathankot National Highway, son slept in his mother's lap and my brother in law was booking our stay in the backend

The route shortlisted was

Jammu - > Kathua - > Madhaopur - > Shahpur Kandi - > Dunera - > Banikhet - > Dalhousie

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-capture.jpg

Soon after travelling for 90 Km we reached Lakhanpur Toll Plaza in just an hour. This was special as my grandfather was posted there in state excise department as a Treasury Officer. Fastag has made the traffic movement easy.

After crossing Lakhanpur, we reached Punjab (Madhaopur) and now empty stomach was asking us to stop. Our first halt at Coral for Kid's diaper break and lunch.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022713105101.jpeg

The roads so far were super awesome and we spent there almost an hour. Outside temperature was 30 degrees and AC was on.

We were cruising happily on this road which passed by Ranjit Sagar Dam and crossed Shahpur Kandi Dam site.

Ranjit Sagar Dam was there with all gates closed.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030113431901.jpeg

The road is nice but it was deserted. Reached Dhar Kalan and Punjab offered us some broken roads. I am always comfortable with Ghats but I am not comfortable with bumpy and broken roads. Speed was drastically reduced now.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030112483201.jpeg

Finally we reached Dunera and its time for some refreshment.

Dalhousie was still 37 KM away and I knew it will take another 2 hours with continuous uphill drive.

Baleno is quite capable on the road and returned 21 KMPL till now with AC on and climbing slopes was a breeze. I found it equally sorted on the highway as well. But brakes of the car could have been better to instill confidence in me.

After Dunera, Himachal Welcomed us. Mobile coverage was fine throughout the slopes but petrol Pumps were not abundant. Its better to always keep good quantity of fuel in the tank.

Our First view but temperature was continuously dropping.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022716213401.jpeg

We reached Banikhet at 4:30 PM and we were just 10 Kms away from our Hotel. Temperature now was 5 Degrees C outside.

Its 5 PM and we reached Hotel Snowvalley Resorts on the mall road. Home to Hotel - 169 KMs and Total Distance since morning - 200 Kms now.

View from our room

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022808191901.jpeg

Now its time for some rest and dinner at Hotel Only. Lovely View while we were having tea.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022818295301.jpeg

Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was so awestruck by the beauty of Dalhousie, that he stayed here for many months in 1937. Today, he has two places named after him - Subhash Baoli and Subhash Chowk.
The hill station has the same effect on tourists today, with its waterfalls, rivers making their way through mountains, dense forest trails that run parallel to enormous cliffs with grand views of Dauladhar range in the distance and a couple of churches that were built during the British Raj. Some Old cafes and awesome weather.

Day 2 28/02/2021

Good Morning

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022808222701.jpeg

I went on an early morning stroll alone with brilliant sunlight and greenery around. View from Subhash Chowk.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022812085801.jpeg

Subhash Chowk has a Statue of Neta ji standing Tall

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022812115101.jpeg

Back to the hotel and its time for a family stroll as it was our first and last day in Himachal. We missed Khajiar, Panchpula and Chamba. Lack of time you see.

The best way to roam in hills is actually on foot. Like other Himachal town, there is a parking crunch and most of the parking places were occupied by taxi Drivers.

When my Viraj refused to walk and wanted me to carry him.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-20210228_11131401.jpeg

With Punjab as border, Dalhousie has a great Punjabi influence. Food is never an issue here and one may get good Punjabi Food here.

Viraj enjoying in his way :

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022812132801.jpeg

There is a British Era Church situated at Subhash Chowk called as St. Francis Church. Its a must visit and that will charge you with spirituality. People say a part of movie Gadar was shot here.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022812230301.jpeg

Spent some time there and at Subhash Chowk. Car was there at the hotel and we started walking towards our Hotel as it was kid's lunch time. Actually its recommended to stay at Mall Road or Thandi Sadak. That connects Gandhi Chowk with Subhash Chowk.

Beautiful and Lush Green streets of Dalhousie

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030111345001.jpeg

Its time to move towards Gandhi Chowk in the evening hours. Its a busy chowk and acts as a junction for roads to Chamba, Khajiyyar and Panchpula. It has a busy Tibetan market especially for ladies and a small market which people call as Garam Sadak.

Statue of Gandhi g

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022816244501.jpeg

A British Era church called as St. John's Church

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022816261701.jpeg

It was getting dark and here is hustling Garam Sadak ay 7 PM.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021022720133001.jpeg

Day 3 01/03/2021 (Last Day)

Beautiful but bit cloudy morning today.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-20210227_18020001.jpeg

Now we were ready for back home journey but didn't want to leave the greenery and fresh air.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030110214901.jpeg

Hotel Bills were cleared and I would say a nice property to stay with.

Started at 11:45 AM from the Hotel. Traffic was fine and within 45 minutes we exited Himachal. Downhill car's body roll was fine but the problem was with brakes. I felt brakes were not confidence inspiring.

Bye Bye Himachal.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030112125701.jpeg

Entered Punjab and yes we were welcomed by some bad roads again. Soon we reached Dunera !

By the way Dunera is famous for Aam Papad, Aamchoor, Chukh(mirchi chutney) and Pickles. Aam Papad or Amba Poli is the their prime small scale industry. Packed a good quantity for home.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030112363201.jpeg

Reached an important Point now. The junction is called as Dhar Kalan. One road leads to Mamun cantt (Pathankote - Kangra Route) and other goes to Shahpur kandi which straight away connects to Madhaopur.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030113292601.jpeg

Had a small halt at Coral Madhaopur for washroom visits and Viraj's diaper change.
Soon we were in our Jammu and Kashmir and yes great highways .

Somewhere near Samba

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030116281801.jpeg

It was a high time for lunch now and what else comes in mind apart from road side Dhabas which offer lip smacking food.

Our Baleno was having some rest and it was pretty warm outside.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img_20210303_195921.jpg

Typical white Dhaba Roti + Dal Makhani. Yummy

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030115410001.jpeg

It was around 5 PM and time for High Tea. There is place called as Thandi Khui near Vijaypur. Its famous for Tea, barfi and awesome Matthi. The Person who is running this stall is visually impaired and the place is a must have on a traveler's plate.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030116594301.jpeg

Home was just 20 Km away now. Not tired but wanted to reach home soon.
Entered Home and an impromptu journey came to an end. Baleno had its AC on for the whole trip and returned a decent mileage.

Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip-img2021030117330002.jpeg

Wanted to stay for some more time in Himachal but will plan again.
Do try road trips. They are fun you know.

Many thanks for your time on the blog !!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Typos
Rajat347 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 05:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jammu to Dalhousie - An unplanned Road Trip

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Nice travelogue Rajat!

I'm in exact same situation buddy, in Jammu since last few months and wfh + schooling from home.
Usual spots around Jammu - Patnitop/Nathatop, Mansar/Surinsar done! And I was now also thinking of driving to Dalhousie/Khajjiar sometime in next couple of weeks and your travelogue gives the much needed boost to the plans!
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Nice travelogue Rajat!

I'm in exact same situation buddy, in Jammu since last few months and wfh + schooling from home.
Usual spots around Jammu - Patnitop/Nathatop, Mansar/Surinsar done! And I was now also thinking of driving to Dalhousie/Khajjiar sometime in next couple of weeks and your travelogue gives the much needed boost to the plans!
Yeah only a Sethi can give a boost to another Sethi :P.

Anyways take a left turn from Coral, and follow Shahpur Kandi route only. Road is fine but deserted. Less traffic and good surface.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks