Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 17:09   #1
BHPian

Vaccine tourism! Agencies offer trips to Russia for vaccination

Dear Bhpians,

This is my first new thread on teambhp. I have been following teambhp for a few years, but only recently managed to join this wonderful forum.

Coming to the topic, travel agencies have started offering vacation+vaccination packages to Russia which combines a 25 day vacation with 2 shots of sputnik vaccine.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82756211.cms

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/wo...a-6910931.html

Travel and tourism industry is one of the most affected industries due to pandemic and it is good to see people getting creative and try to rise from the gloom. I believe it will be a win-win situation where the tourism industry will revive to some extent and people who are frustrated with lack of travel can use this opportunity to combine vaccination with relaxation.

As with any other topic, I'm very much interested to know views of fello BHPians.
Everlearner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Vaccine tourism! Agencies offer trips to Russia for vaccination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Dear Bhpians,

This is my first new thread on teambhp. I have been following teambhp for a few years, but only recently managed to join this wonderful forum.

Coming to the topic, travel agencies have started offering vacation+vaccination packages to Russia which combines a 25 day vacation with 2 shots of sputnik vaccine.

As with any other topic, I'm very much interested to know views of fello BHPians.
For 1.3L/Person for an all inclusive package, it is a steal. But if I have undertake one, it will not be for the vaccine but for the sheer value of the tour package for 25 days in Russia.
I am much comfortable with Indian vaccines.

As the travel industry has suffered a lot, any new initiative to make money is always welcome.

Last edited by speedmiester : 20th May 2021 at 17:54.
speedmiester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

This vaccine tour has been getting a lot of attention on social media -

Vaccine tourism! Agencies offer trips to Russia for vaccination-img20210518wa0019.jpg

Sounds like a steal - but it would be risky to do any sort of travel right now. Along with the possibility of catching Covid - there is also the possibility of getting stuck in a foreign land if any lockdowns or travel bans happen!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:25   #4
BHPian

This may be a scam. Supposedly these kind of packages surfaced last year in October too and Russian officials had denied that such tours were permitted. Check this link : https://www.livemint.com/news/world/...968387625.html

A more recent one is here: https://livefromalounge.com/vaccine-...a-not-advised/

Name:  Kuoni.png
Views: 5227
Size:  208.8 KB
Malyaj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sounds interesting but this is something we should be wary of. With wave after wave of the pandemic, nothing is certain. Say you pay the money upfront (which in all likelihood is the deal), and there is a travel ban to certain areas/countries because of the outbreak, what would you do? The agency will not reimburse the money. Also, you can get the Sputnik vaccine in Apollo chains, why worry about tourism now? It's a good deal given the package but what kind of hotels will we be checked into is something no one knows. If it is just mentioned as 3 star, it can't be treated as 3 star. It's really difficult to believe the itinerary. I think we just have to wait for things to settle down and take it easy. If someone gets infected during the trip, we can only hope God will help. With the kind of infrastructure required for severe symptoms, it's wise to stay home right now. My opinion honestly.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

There is uproar when people from the cities go to rural areas (as little as 50-75kms from the city) for vaccination due to limited availability and here, people expect to travel to Russia?! There was a similar "scheme" to go to the US as well, I remember reading somewhere.

There are SO many variables on why this can go terribly wrong, I hope people get a nice chuckle out of this, but don't fall for it.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 20:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vaccine tourism! Agencies offer trips to Russia for vaccination

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This vaccine tour has been getting a lot of attention on social media -
The first thing that I noticed is that there are many spelling mistakes in that poster, which is a tell-tale sign that it is a big scam! Besides, are flights between India and Russia operational now?
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 21:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Operator junks Russia vaccine trip after leaked flyer goes viral

The travel company that was offering the New Delhi to Russia vaccine tour for Rs 1.29 lakh has junked the trip after their flyer went viral.
Source

While this is how the news article starts, there's more -

Quote:
When IndiaToday.in had contacted the company, a spokesperson, Bhoop Singh, had said that if one is not vaccinated, their company will take them to Russia to get two doses of Sputnik V vaccination. As of today, the company website, however, claims that the Delhi to Moscow vaccine trip by their company is ‘fake’ and that they are not providing ‘any such tours’.
Quote:
When we contacted the same spokesperson this morning, after the message on their website, he said, “We are not doing the vaccine trip now. If people are interested in travelling to Russia, our company is currently providing that facility. The batch that was earlier booked for May 29 for the vaccine trip - our company is now taking those travellers for only a tour to Russia, no vaccine involved. We have not been given any permission because Russia has denied giving vaccines to foreigners. The vaccine tourism concept has been discontinued by us because it is illegal for us to take travellers there to get a vaccine. If we get an approval, we will surely update our followers.”
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 23:36   #9
BHPian

I was told by some shipyard personnel that quite a few rich Lebanese had come to Dubai to take the Covid-19 vaccine as there was none available in their country. This was earlier in the year around January and Dubai was giving the Pfizer vaccine at that time.
Vaccination or not, a trip to Russia for 1.3 lakhs including return airfare and hotel stay for 25 days is a steal.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:51   #10
BANNED

Even though the company clarified that they are not taking bookings, I feel the risk of travel is very high.

I have to travel to Pune for a day’s trip to manage some of the tasks but right now, I am to scared to even book a flight.

One thing that I have learned during the pandemic is that it is always better to book flights either via airline’s website or via a reliable travel agent. This makes the refund process very easy during a cancellation.
Old 29th May 2021, 10:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Vaccination or not, a trip to Russia for 1.3 lakhs including return airfare and hotel stay for 25 days is a steal.
Most local Indian mainstream tour organisers used to struggle on food/logistics arrangement even for popular destinations such as Switzerland, Germany and this after charging a hefty sum for the tour. There are so many horror stories even during normal times and trips of a week in duration.

I can only imagine what the arrangements will be in a country like Russia in such difficult times and that too for 3.5 weeks. I’d rather spend the money in Goa and live like a king. When something is too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:48   #12
BHPian

Posting a WhatsApp forward received today in one of my groups. Not sure of its authenticity though. Vaccine tourism within India, innovative business ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Vaccine tourism! Agencies offer trips to Russia for vaccination-img20210529wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by Emvi : 29th May 2021 at 11:54.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 20:09   #13
snr
BHPian

On paper, this sounds like a great idea! But I have my "reservations" on this
Travelling abroad is asking for it in these times. Even the IPL cricket players in their bio bubbles ended up contracting 'Rona! I think it's a good idea to stay away from such things.
Old 29th May 2021, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Too good to be true...Russia is one of the prime places from where such scams originate apart from Africa and China. Vaccine Tourism within India is a good idea for tourist operators / hotels but at the same time, such ideas possibly raise the demand and price of the vaccines artificially too.
Old 30th May 2021, 10:59   #15
BHPian

From this news article below, it seems Apollo Hospitals is going to start administering Sputnik V from second week of June. Why take the trouble and cost of going to Russia for it then?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/sput...pitals-2451079

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks