Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2022, 11:41   #16
BHPian

Re: A Failed Road Trip | 800+ kms in a day on a 2 stroke

Wonderful write-up boniver! 800km in a single day is a great achievement! As mentioned above, its not a failure, its a 800km road trip. Kudos for even attempting this

We had planned something similar just after college, where we wanted to ride/drive down from Kolkata all the way to Ernakulam. We had even made a route plan. Sadly, we all chickened out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
One curiosity - Would it not have made sense to proceed to Vijayawada for 250KM and taking a train from there to your destination, instead of driving the 400KM back to Bangalore?
Even I thought the same. Unless you had some time constraint, why not stay at Vijayawada for a day or 2, chill, relax, and then continue. I think it was the lack of sleep and exhaustion that got to you.
GeneralJazz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 14:12   #17
BHPian

You have very nice and lucid writing style. And I will like say the same as SAMBA said ....this was never been a failure. You have collected a hell lot of experience.
You have covered ~800 kms in day riding a 2 stroke bike this itself is big achievement.
I was following you on the location map. What I understood, the excessive heat had a toll on you. Otherwise you were going fine. Nice try.
edunata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great that you chose to start riding on such a journey. Even when you decided to turn back, you could have considered staying overnight and riding after some good rest.

A bit more of research regarding the route and "what to expect on a long ride" might have helped handle the conditions better. There was a log on a bike-ride spanning several days and over long distances on this forum recently, which had several tips.

Do take some time to ponder over this adventure, and learn whatever lessons you find as important. Those will likely come in handy during any future challenges - whether on the road or in general.

Last edited by adisan : 16th June 2022 at 16:59.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 16:50   #19
BHPian

Nice write up @boniver. You have very well expressed your experience and emotions on this epic trip. 800 KM Trip on a 100 CC bike in hot and rainy conditions is an achievement in itself.

Having done many solo bike/car trips, I can relate to your state of mind and what you would have gone through during this solo trip.

There is always a moment when mind screams why are you doing this. why don't you turn back. The reason can be exertion or frustration over something or simply boredom or anxiety of the unknown.

My initial days of driving/riding (many riding trips were solo, though <300 KM a day) taught me the importance of building endurance (stamina) and patience. Nothing beats a well conditioned mind and body.
manchandap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 17:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, such an amazing write up, totally does justice to the experience you've had!

The age of 21 is where you have the flexibility of jumping to hasty decisions and getting amazing experiences in return. You will NEVER regret this decision to ride your bike, irrespective of whether you've reached your destination or not.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th June 2022 at 20:21. Reason: Typo
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:53   #21
BHPian

Glad that you wrote this travelogue and like others have mentioned, even if you did not reach your planned destination, this was still an 800 km long road trip and that is no mean achievement.

We were tracking you on the group and at times were really worried about you, and I was really glad that you got back fine in the end, despite the adverse road and weather conditions, the puncture and the unhelpful repair guy. I know that along with Abhi I was the other naysayer in the group, but that had more to do with your choice of vehicle, and our experience of doing road trips on similar vehicles. Since we've discussed this enough on the WA group, I am not going to repeat what I said, but I am sure that you will do this trip one day, but maybe not with this bike. For the time being, let us all raise a toast to this humongous 800 km trip in our next meet!
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 00:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

A favorite of mine; applies both to you and your bike.

Quote:
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

- Edward Everett Hale
Chetan_Rao is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 08:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
@boniver superb write-up, loved it.
Thanks, rbp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
It takes a lot of courage to start on such an epic voyage but it takes a whole lot more to take that decision to fight a battle some other day. Something tells me you will eventually make that trip one day (call it an itch that needs to be scratched).
Thank you for the kind words. Funnily (and predictably), I've never had a full night's sleep before any of my road trips till date, be it on two wheels or four. Gotta change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Absolutely brilliant writing skills. Felt like I was living through every moment of yours!
Thanks normaltusker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
when the puncture guy opened the wheel the tube inside had melting where it was touching the wheel due to heat. Wish you many happy rides in future.
I'm lucky I didn't face something that extreme, but this is definitely something to keep in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Take care, and wishing you a long happy riding back home. You could wave a thanks to the mechanic for the work he has done
Thank you condor! Asgar was actually the first person I met the next morning after I got back to Bangalore. All the remaining petrol in my tank (more than half a tank) was gifted to him when it was drained out for shipping. By the way, a KB100 that I was restoring is still with him, so we're in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Curious as to why you did not ride on to Vijayawada and ship off the bike from there and take a train/flight? Due to paperwork or it being an unfamiliar city?
Thanks Rajeevraj. I checked up on trains from Vijayawada and all of them had lengthy waiting lists. The sole flight from VGA to CCU had a long layover somewhere else, and was also costing 10k plus. I'm a student, I couldn't afford to pay that much, and I would also have to pay for a hotel, whereas back in Bangalore I still had my apartment that I'd paid the rent for the full month for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hats off to your spirit. All the best for your future rides.
Rated 5*.
Thanks dada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
For now, let’s have that Biryani which I know you hate, but I am counting on this 800 kms ride to at least put a semblance of logic to the entire saga. How can someone not like a plateful of Biryani ??
Please include me in your biryani plan, however, you can be sure that I'll be the only one ordering butter naan and chicken bharta there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Thanks for being daring enough to share your story where you were not able to accomplish your trip. Often we see rosy stories that underplay the harder aspects of the trip. This story is very useful for providing a reality check and should be helpful to a lot of folks while planning their bike trips.
I contemplated for a long time before posting this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Misfires are just as important as success stories!
Thanks libranof1987!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
One curiosity - Would it not have made sense to proceed to Vijayawada for 250KM and taking a train from there to your destination, instead of driving the 400KM back to Bangalore?
Please read my response to Rajeevraj above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Maybe on a different bike, outcome might have been different. Was it your first really long ride?

BTW, you should write more often, I loved it .
Thanks Sheel! I think the bike would've easily made it, I doubt I would've had I continued. Yes, it was my first really long ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Even I thought the same. Unless you had some time constraint, why not stay at Vijayawada for a day or 2, chill, relax, and then continue. I think it was the lack of sleep and exhaustion that got to you.
Please read my response to Rajeevraj above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edunata View Post
You have very nice and lucid writing style...I was following you on the location map. What I understood, the excessive heat had a toll on you. Otherwise you were going fine. Nice try.
Thanks edunata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Great that you chose to start riding on such a journey. Even when you decided to turn back, you could have considered staying overnight and riding after some good rest.
Thanks adisan! Will definitely reflect on the trip and try to improve in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
Nice write up @boniver. You have very well expressed your experience and emotions on this epic trip. 800 KM Trip on a 100 CC bike in hot and rainy conditions is an achievement in itself.
Thanks manchandap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Wow, such an amazing write up, totally does justice to the experience you've had!

The age of 21 is where you have the flexibility of jumping to hasty decisions and getting amazing experiences in return. You will NEVER regret this decision to ride your bike, irrespective of whether you've reached your destination or not.
Thanks dhanushs! I'm a little older than 21, by college ending I meant I just finished my masters. Celebrated my 23rd birthday a couple of months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
For the time being, let us all raise a toast to this humongous 800 km trip in our next meet!
Thanks Sumanta da! Let's meet soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
A favorite of mine; applies both to you and your bike.
Thank you!
boniver is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Multiple stops, lunch, and the dash back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Enquired at the pump if they knew someone with a mini-truck who would take me and my bike back to Bangalore.
In such situations, it may help to flag down passing mini trucks and ask how far they are going. Even a 50km ride can help. The payment can be negotiated a bit since you would be asking for help in the direction that they are going.
condor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:54   #25
BHPian

What a great courage you got. Hats off for you. I’ve done some long trips on bike when I was in India both as solo and in group. Sometimes even 500 kms in a day. But all of them were on my Apache RTR160 and CBZ Xtreme of my brother. But I never imagined doing them on a 100cc bike with drum brakes (we have a TVS Sport at home).
Good luck for your future trips.You own a wonderful gem of a bike. Keep rocking. Rated 5 stars to your thread.
Bhalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 09:58   #26
BHPian

Like they say, it is better to try and fail than never try at all! Kudos to you! So happy to read these things! Maybe you can try again, albeit, get some physical (your body) and mental fitness in place. Maybe you'll be able to crack it! Someone I know rode from Bangalore-Leh-Bangalore on a 1970s Jawa a few years ago. He took a month to do it. But it was worth it in the end. Godspeed!
kiredd1005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:15   #27
BHPian

A couple of years down the line, you will miss this spontaneity of youth and the exuberance which makes it possible. So to me this sounds like an excellent adventure and if that was the plan, then its mission achieved.

On a lighter note, I need my wife's permission to go on a cycle ride along Kolar highway early in the morning, that too with the whatsapp live location enabled. Enjoy the freedom.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 10:47   #28
BHPian

Firstly, what a wonderful write up and thanks for sharing an experience. Every rider will have more than one experience of an under prepared ride or simply a misfortune. Yours was at a perfect age and something that will prepare you and multiple readers of this thread for rides to come. Wishing you good riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Thanks for being daring enough to share your story where you were not able to accomplish your trip. Often we see rosy stories that underplay the harder aspects of the trip. This story is very useful for providing a reality check and should be helpful to a lot of folks while planning their bike trips.
I couldn't agree more. I remember 14 years ago post a 5 hours of extremely wet and cold ride, I got home shivering to my bones and cried my heart out. Lesson learnt - be over prepared and never underestimate nature.
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Sitting at a popular restaurant (codeword for pub) on the evening of the last exam, I loudly proposed an idea (the same one I'd come up with several times before): Why not ride my bike down?
Congrats to you, for even making this attempt. Never thought that I would read about someone quite so quixotic and ambitious.

In order to succeed in this endeavour, you need to build up a lot of "bottom" - meet both the definitions below.

Name:  bottom.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  23.8 KB

Take this from someone who has ridden a TVS 50 moped numerous times Bangalore-Mysore, and Bangalore-Hosur (when the roads were 2-lane and in disrepair), and a Kinetic Honda from Chennai to Bangalore in 9 hours.

If this is going to be any inspiration, my mother's colleague rode his 2-stroke bike in a day from Nellore to Bangalore. With his wife sitting pillion, wearing a saree (hence sitting side saddle). And their 2-year old son. Go figure!
KiloAlpha is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 11:08   #30

Wonderful write-up boniver. Like in a story, rather a movie - I was gunning for the hero to win.
Deep down I was disappointed that you turned back, more so when reading the grit and grind of the return leg. But, you were in the best position to make the decision you made and thankfully it turned out well.
Enjoy riding. Cheers!
kamleshp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks