Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi

The Sant Darshan Museum at Hadshi, near Mulshi is hardly an hour or so out of Pune from Chandani chowk and makes for a perfect day trip. Usually one would need to take the Mulshi road to reach, but right now it is a nightmare with multiple construction work is going on. Having suffered that horror recently, I decided to try my luck with the alternate route via Nande village / Symbiosis Hospital and was pleasantly surprised.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-pune-hadshi-route.png
Pune - Hadshi

I travelled on a Sunday and the weather was just perfect. Very sparse traffic and good roads meant an absolutely enjoyable drive.
Note: We left Pune at 0800 hours and it turned out to be the most optimal timing. By the time we were on out way back home, the parking lot was already filling up, and we encountered more cars on the way back. If you want to really enjoy your drive + visit + peace and quiet in the lap of nature, early hours are heartily recommended.

The museum has a huge parking lot. Unfortunately it is not covered and it is some walkable distance away from the museum entrance, so don't forget your umbrellas.

The museum entrance has this massive eagle on display, which gives you an idea of the treat inside.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd-entrance.jpg
Museum Entrance

Entrance is paid, but worth every paisa.
Kiddos can enjoy half ticket.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-entrance-ticket.jpg
Entrance ticket

You move inside and you start getting an idea of the level of skill and love the artist has put into the effort.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd1.jpg

My favourite friend. Bappa.
This pic was not taken crouching down but with the camera at my eye level standing up. I am 6' tall, so you can imagine how massive this moorti is.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-bappa.jpg
Bappa

Moving forward, you enter a maze like cave. This theme runs all across the museum and it is fun. Besides the lights, the passage is interspaced with coolers (considering it is still summer) as well as audio playing at the right volume. Truly a treat for the senses. And yes, like all sculptures the cave too is artificial.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-cave-interior-.jpg
Cave themed museum

Meet the Kailaskars.
L-R Dad, Mommy, Kiddo.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-kailaskar.jpg
Shankar Kailaskar, Parvati Kailaskar, Ganesh Kailaskar

Where there is Mahadev, there will always be Nandi.
Well, almost always. For every rule, there is always an exception. Like Kopeshwar. Read about it here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ngry-lord.html (Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord)

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-nandi.jpg
Nandi

Moving on, you meet another family.
For those who are not aware: Bhakt Pundalik was an absolutely devoted son which every parent prays for. One day, he watched them adoringly as they lay on his lap absolutely exhausted. Suddenly, Vithoba, a manifestation of Lord Vishnu appeared. The Lord Himself at his doorstep! Good manners dictated he get up and receive Him properly. But Pundalik's devotion to his parents trumped his devotion for the Lord. So he took a brick which lay nearby, tossed it towards the Lord and said This will have to do for now till my parents wake up. The Lord was so pleased with Pundalik's bhakti towards his parents, that to this day, he is standing on a brick.
Don't believe me? Pay a visit to Pandharpur and check out the Lord with your own eyes.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-bhakt-pundalik.jpg
Bhakt Pundalik
Do zoom in on the Lord's countenance. The artist has magically managed to craft the divinity.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-maharaj.jpg
Shivaji Maharaj meeting Sant Tookaram

This bull is part of the above scene. However, I photographed it up close, because for a moment, looking at it's eyes, I swear I thought it was a real bull.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-bull.jpg
Chief's sitting bull

The rains have started and lakhs of Varkaris will soon leave to meet their Lord Pandurang at Pandharpur

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-vithoba.jpg

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-cave-interior-2.jpg
RedTerrano is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 20:52   #2
BHPian

re: Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi

The awesome sculptures are not only limited to the inside of the cave.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd2.jpg

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd3.jpg

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd4.jpg

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-sd5.jpg

And last but not the least.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-maharaj-2.jpg

You don't realise it, but the walk through the cave takes up almost 45-50 minutes and one may have worked up an appetite. No worries. Right outside the exit, you cannot fail to notice the restaurant.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-restaurant.jpg
Restaurant at the end of the museum

It is like one of the numerous eateries one finds in rural India which serve delicious local cuisine. I can vouch for it's cleanliness and hygiene.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Restaurant.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	2321874

This is what we had there.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-bhaji.jpg
Kanda Bhaji

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-misal.jpg
Misal Pav

Just beyond the restaurant lies a beautiful temple. Two actually. One dedicated to Bappa, and the bigger one to Vithoba.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-temple.jpg

Wide open spaces, with well maintained lawns. Now add rains to it, and you can imagine how awesome the place would look, with every possible shade of green on display. Mother nature at her artistic best.

Speaking of art, in case you were wondering, this is the artist responsible for all the divine moortis.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-artist.jpg
Shri Ganesh Kumbhar.

I would have absolutely loved to meet him shake his divinely gifted hand but sadly he rarely visits here, his base being Urali Kanchan.

Making a mental note of of visiting him there at the first possible opportunity, we bid adieu and returned home.

Total time spent : 3.5 hours
A Sunday morning very well spent.
RedTerrano is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 21:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Well written brother. I had never heard of this place ever before and your photos tell me this is one divine, almost celestial place if one goes with the right mindset. Looks clean too and definitely worth visiting especially for my mum.

Now the important part- I never knew the origin of term Vitthal, I mean why was Lord Krishna referred to as Vithoba or Lord Vitthal. So this is how. Thanks mate.
Excommunicado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Re: Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi

Lovely write-up of the Sant Darshan Museum at Hadshi. It surely makes for an awesome day trip near Pune. I remember having passed this temple on the way to backwaters of the Pawna Dam. Didn't realise there was such a big museum inside.
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that looks like a neat 0.5 day worth of some good family time! Thanks for sharing

Glad that you mentioned about the alternate road via Symbiosis, the distance/time shown in the map doesn't seem to be affected that much from this route diversion.

The pics also provide insights into what lies in store. Good to know that the restaurant is properly functional, hope it stays that way.

Penciling this destination into the holiday planner for the next month!
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Nice write-up. I have been visiting this place last couple of years either on solo bike ride or with family on weekdays especially taking my parents, in-laws to enjoy the calm atmosphere.

There was no museum that time and only the temple and garden around it with a small water canal and ducks wading quietly.

The whole environment was all completely peaceful and quiet. There was a single joint giving poha, batata wada, sabudana khichadi etc.

It was pure bliss. Now with the museum and more development I hope it retains the tranquility that used to be there early morning.

When I had gone sometime back, there was huge crowd, cars etc and I came away not wanting to erase my peaceful memories.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 18th June 2022 at 20:58.
SSD2122 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 23:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
There was no museum that time and only the temple and garden around it with a small water canal and ducks wading quietly.
They are still there.

Visit to Sant Darshan Museum, Hadshi-ducks.jpg

They also have those pedal boats in the same canal. Make of that what you will.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks