Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)

Hello everyone,
This is my first travelogue on team-bhp.

It was December again and my hands were itching for a winter road trip. after quite a bit of discussion we decided to head to garpanchkot, the unforgettable land. it is located at the foothills of Panchet Hill in the district of Purulia, around 250km from Kolkata. Garpanchkot is covered with lush green hills as well as a few historical monuments.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-1.jpeg
Artemis getting filled up!

After a basic visual inspection of the car, we started our trip on a foggy winter morning at around 6 am.Using the Belghoria expressway, it took us around 50 mins to reach the NH 19 Dankuni toll plaza and we didn't encounter any major traffic. After crossing the toll plaza it was quite challenging to keep up a steady pace as the condition of the road starts to worsen combined with a substantial amount of goods carrying vehicles. There were numerous diversions and in some places, single lane traffic movement resulted in long snarling jams.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-2.jpg
On Belghoria expressway towards Dakshineswar

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-3.jpg
Old Vivekananda Setu

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221216_104357.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7820.jpeg

we took our breakfast break at Hindusthan hotel and ordered some lip-smacking aloo paratha. All together it was around a 40mins break and with our tummies full we hit the road again.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-whatsapp-image-20230108-9.04.48-pm.jpeg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-locomotivepm3.jpeg
locomotive on rubber wheels

The condition of the roads was quite good after Burdwan and subsequently, we were able to maintain a speed of around 85-90kmph easily till Asansol.
Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221204_101243.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7828.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221216_122622-copy.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7840.jpeg
Near Bidhannagar, Durgapur towards Asansol

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-111617-copy.jpg
Nice artwork, I guess KGF 2 fever is still not over yet!

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7812-copy.jpg
Even better one

In the meantime, we decided to complete our lunch, and what better way to relish our hunger than by having some authentic veg Bengali food.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_6240.jpg

We took a left turn from Dendua - Neamatpur Four Point crossing towards kultora leaving NH 19, this 24km stretch towards garpanchkot was filled with bumps and potholes and there was also congestion along certain places throughout the road.
We checked in at the WBFDC garpanchkot Nature Resort situated at the foothills of the Panchet hills, there is a natural charm all around this resort.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7862.jpg
Entrance of the WBFDC garpanchkot Nature Resort

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7863.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_2795.jpg
Mesmerising view

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7864.jpg
Artemis enjoying nature

After a brief conversation with the resort manager, it was time to hit the roads again toward the Garpanchkot Pancharatna Temple also known as the Ras mandir. The drive was around 10km through beautiful scenic roads with lush green forests all around. Surprisingly the condition of the road was very good.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7872.jpg
View of panchet hill

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-garpanchokot-mandir.jpg
Ras mandir

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7944.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7933.jpg
panaromic view around the temple

There is a trail along panchet hill that leads to the Raghunath Mandir. I must say it was quite a bit of a climb and we enjoyed every bit of it. I was spellbound by the view at the top. there was not much to view at the temple since restoration work was going on
Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7881.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7887.jpg
Starting of the trail

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7894.jpg
some more distance to cover

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7897.jpg
Breathtaking view from the top!

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7901.jpg
Entrance of the Raghunath mandir

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7909.jpg
Restoration work of the mandir at full swing

Last edited by apollo_1999 : 9th January 2023 at 23:32.
apollo_1999 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 23:36   #2
BHPian

re: Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)

After coming down, we were greeted by some kids who happens to be there selling artifacts .It was quite interesting and after a lot of persuasion, I decided to buy one

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7935.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7936.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7937.jpg
Budding artist

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7941.jpg
Work of art

It was getting dark and we decided to head back to the resort.
As the night set in I decided to go for a walk around the property soaking in the beauty of nature and calming my brain.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7955.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7956.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7957.jpg

dinner was served by 9 pm, and the tadka roti was quite tasty

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221216_214709.jpg

The next morning woke up around 7 AM for a small walk .

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7972.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7975.jpg

We checked out by 8 AM and started for Panchet dam which is around a 5km drive from the resort. Panchet dam is around 6.7km in length, it was inaugurated in 1959 and is currently operated by Damodar valley corporation. The drive over the dam was quite scenic, the dam also serves as the border between west Bengal and Jharkhand. After visiting panchet dam we headed straight for maithon dam.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7983.jpg
Panchet dam

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7985.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_7991.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_091239.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_091248.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_091254.jpg
Reservoir of Panchet dam. During winter, water levels are quite low.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_091305.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_094127.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_094151.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_091632.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_094003.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_111446.jpg

Maithon dam is around 17km from panchet dam. Around 4.7km in length, it was inaugurated in 1957 and is also currently operated by Damodar valley corporation. The roads in Jharkhand were good and we didn't face any major traffic as well.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_094730.jpg
Towards maithon

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_095527.jpg

Last edited by apollo_1999 : 10th January 2023 at 01:08.
apollo_1999 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 01:59   #3
BHPian

Upon reaching maithon we decided to take a small rock trail to catch a glimpse of the maithon dam. there are boating options available on the reservoir of maithon dam as well. after having some refreshments we started our return journey.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8005.jpg
Maithon Dam

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8011.jpg
The rock trail we took

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_101958.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_102239.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_111120.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_111140.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_111353.jpg

The roads after maithon are a bit narrow and congested, there are broken patches everywhere till Kalyaneswari Temple. Traveling a km down the road took a left on NH 19 towards Kolkata and as usual, the roads were excellent with minimal traffic, maintaining a steady pace of 85-90kmph was not at all difficult.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_114800.jpg
finally Open roads!

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-whatsapp-image-20230108-9.06.13-pm.jpeg
Much needed bio as well as a coffee break

we stopped in Durgapur for some lunch, tandoori roti and chicken bharta were scrumptious and not a single bit was left behind.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8032.jpg
Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8034.jpg

I decided to take a break at Saktigarh. (a place known for its Lyangcha, an indian sweet dish) and what better way to end this trip than by having some succulent Lyangcha at Lyangcha Bhawan.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8019.jpg

The roads after Saktigarh, were not in a good state due to the highway expansion project and diversions are there every now and then. Fortunately, we didn't face any major traffic and was back home by 6 PM.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_131115.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_131323.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20221217_140024.jpg

I didn't face any issues with my car and it performed flawlessly as usual. Total distance covered for this trip was around 542 km and my car consumed around 25.55Lt of petrol, which results in a mileage of 21.21kmpl. The power delivery is very linear and the car is at its best if driven sedately.
Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_8026.jpeg

Adios until next time!!
apollo_1999 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 04:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 00:59   #5
BHPian

Re: Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)

Congratulations on your first travelogue ! Brought back memories of Purulia trip which I did 7 yrs ago ! Unfortunately couldn't go up the hill due to time constraints, maybe next time ! Nicely detailed write up, perfect for anyone to follow and plan a Garpanchkot itinerary

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-2016_03_26_ayodhya.jpg

Last edited by Samfromindia : 11th January 2023 at 01:01.
Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:36   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your first TL Soumyodeep. Wish to see many more accounts from your travel diary in future with your Artemis. It seems to be returning some envious FE.

We took almost the same trip (To the Spring time Wonderland of Garh Panchkot, Baranti and Maithon in an Innova Crysta) back in 2020 March (to witness Palash bloom) just before the lockdown started and covered Baranti and Jaichandi as additional place.

Like you our return day lunch halt was in Durgapur too, we ended up liking Citi Residency Hotel so much that on subsequent visits it became one of our favorite places to dine. Also the buffet at ITC Fortune Park is excellent at much lesser price than Kolkata.

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-dsc04302-1.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-dsc04456-1.jpg

Road-trip to an unforgettable land, Garpanchkot (West Bengal)-img_20200306_170706.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 11th January 2023 at 17:50. Reason: As requested.
haisaikat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 17:00   #7
BHPian

Congratulations Soumyadeep for such a detailed TL on Garpanchkot along with lovely photos. Wish you lots of happy miles with your beloved Baleno. Its returning amazing FE.
swiftvxi06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 11:21   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your post, I am glad you have had a good time with your family. I like the areas around Chota Nagpur plateau very much, in fact it's as much close to me as Malwa plateau. There are so many places to explore with Nature as ones company. It brought back my childhood memories of short vacations to Dhanbad area.

Langchas of Shaktigarh has a special place in my heart, though it's been more than two and a half decades I have had it. We used to get it in earthen pots (maatir handi), with the mouth of the handi covered with saal leaves and tied with jute twines.

Is the taste still good? I have heard that it's not what it used to be.

Now there's an explosion of langcha shops on NH 19 around Shaktigarh, when we went there were couple of them only.

Keep exploring friend.
scorched_earth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 02:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
thanks Aditya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Congratulations on your first travelogue ! Brought back memories of Purulia trip which I did 7 yrs ago ! Unfortunately couldn't go up the hill due to time constraints, maybe next time ! Nicely detailed write up, perfect for anyone to follow and plan a Garpanchkot itinerary
Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Congratulations on your first TL Soumyodeep. Wish to see many more accounts from your travel diary in future with your Artemis. It seems to be returning some envious FE.

We took almost the same trip (To the Spring time Wonderland of Garh Panchkot, Baranti and Maithon in an Innova Crysta) back in 2020 March (to witness Palash bloom) just before the lockdown started and covered Baranti and Jaichandi as additional place.

Like you our return day lunch halt was in Durgapur too, we ended up liking Citi Residency Hotel so much that on subsequent visits it became one of our favorite places to dine. Also the buffet at ITC Fortune Park is excellent at much lesser price than Kolkata.
Glad you liked it Saikat da!
Artemis returns some good Fuel economy when driven sedately.
Baranti and Jaichandi was also in our itinerary but had to give it a miss due to time constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftvxi06 View Post
Congratulations Soumyadeep for such a detailed TL on Garpanchkot along with lovely photos. Wish you lots of happy miles with your beloved Baleno. Its returning amazing FE.
Thank you for taking the time to read my TL Abhirup da. Your M2M-Magnite to Mayapur TL was fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorched_earth View Post
Thanks for your post, I am glad you have had a good time with your family.

Keep exploring friend.
I'm grateful that you liked it!

Quote:
Langchas of Shaktigarh has a special place in my heart, though it's been more than two and a half decades I have had it. We used to get it in earthen pots (maatir handi), with the mouth of the handi covered with saal leaves and tied with jute twines.

Is the taste still good? I have heard that it's not what it used to be.

Now there's an explosion of langcha shops on NH 19 around Shaktigarh, when we went there were couple of them only.
you are correct, numerous shops have emerged on NH 19 around Shaktigarh. I would like to thank Bhpian SAMBA for recommending this shop and their Lyangcha's were truly delicious...
apollo_1999 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks