Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
But got cancelled as it would be too strenuous on my then V15 - waiting for a fast bike to do such a ride. My Himmy is too slow and not that nimble for these speed runs.
Exactly, as you mentioned, doing such rides requires higher cc engine bikes. However, it doesn't mean that we cannot do long rides on lower cc bikes. It's simply impossible to cover 800 KM in 11 hours.

Actually, I have completed the same ride multiple times on a 150cc engine Bajaj V15 but not on same day.

An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-dsc_0001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
All the best, great ride and ride safe. I've been an ultra long hauler in cars. But the same on bike? No way. I can ride in hills, two laned SH roads that makes riding engaging. But on 4 laned toll roads on a bike? I get bored easily.
Thank you! If you want to add some excitement to your motorcycle ride, why not challenge yourself to see how many cow you can spot? Just kidding, but seriously, try playing some fun road trip games or singing along to your favorite tunes. It's a surefire way to make the ride more enjoyable!

One thing I like to do is sing my favorite songs loudly, but I strictly avoid listening to music through headsets or helmet sound systems, as it can be dangerous on the unpredictable roads of India.
raptor_diwan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 14:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, as you mentioned, doing such rides requires higher cc engine bikes. However, it doesn't mean that we cannot do long rides on lower cc bikes. It's simply impossible to cover 800 KM in 11 hours.
True that, it’s not the engine cc that matters but a comfortable seating position and adequate amount of power especially on expressways. A 650cc engine produces 67 hp on the VStrom as well as 47 hp on the Interceptor as well as 90 hp on the Striple. I have done 250 km runs like Bengaluru chikmagaluru many times on that and though unsafe due to lack of power, ABS and lousy headlights, it is the upright seating position that prevents from doing any further. I have thought of doing Bengaluru Mumbai NH4 runs many times but the Himmy just doesn’t feel comfortable above the 100 kmph mark, stock seats a big disappointment even after adding extra foam and padding, vibrations everywhere after 5k rpm and you can feel the weight and hard gear shifts due to engine heat when you start to tire.
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:20   #18
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRISRI_90 View Post
I.e: Watch the Sunrise at Chennai(East coast) and ride 700 Kms all the way to my hometown of Mangalore and catch the sunset on the west coast .
Two decades ago, I met a client in RA Puram (Chennai) who had travelled from Chennai after viewing the dawn to Mangalore for the sunset. Naturally, he did it on the first day of the decade, which was the new year in 2000.

Kudos to Raptor_Diwan

The focus of these stressful rides is more on mental agility than physical conditioning. If there is enough interest, the distance you travel becomes insignificant.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 16:49   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post

Well folks, that's a wrap on this wild ride! I hope you enjoyed the journey as much as I did.

Thanks for joining me on this adventure, and until next time, stay cool, stay hungry, and stay tuned for more epic tales of two-wheeling and stomach-filling!
Wow thats quite a ride. The narration was more like a fast action/thriller movie. "Edge of a seat" feel Glad that you had a remarkable and safe ride back home.

Cheers
SSB
~Riding is a form of Meditating~
shiv4747 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 17:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Two decades ago, I met a client in RA Puram (Chennai) who had travelled from Chennai after viewing the dawn to Mangalore for the sunset. Naturally, he did it on the first day of the decade, which was the new year in 2000.
Something that should definitely be appreciated because they don't have access to smooth highways like we do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Kudos to Raptor_Diwan

The focus of these stressful rides is more on mental agility than physical conditioning. If there is enough interest, the distance you travel becomes insignificant.
Thank you! Yes, that was so true. Mentally, we have to be strong enough to complete this type of challenge.
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 21:59   #21
BHPian

Scrolling though this brought to mind a truly nostalgic hush hush ride! And this was about 35 years ago, when I had just finished college and was studying to be CA. My Eligibility Certificate for the Intermediate ( now IPCC) hadnt reached me and i had few days to go for the exams, leaving me with no option but to ride to Madras ( now Chennai) from Bangalore. Exhilarating memorable ride through the night on my KB 100 RTZ and after catching a few winks of sleep on a culvert, reached and collected the Cert from an incredulous clerk at the CA Institute and rode back ! It took me about 4 hrs going and about the same time back. Didn't dare to visit any relative for fear of losing my bike if my parents got wind of this secret ride 😃 ! And yes, I did manage to attend my ICWA Final classes in the evening too.
Now that was some ride! Sadly my bike was sold some months later , but not before I had managed to clock about 18k kms in a year of riding.
Passatman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatman View Post
Scrolling though this brought to mind a truly nostalgic hush hush ride! And this was about 35 years ago, Exhilarating memorable ride through the night on my KB 100 RTZ and after catching a few winks of sleep on a culvert, reached and collected the Cert from an incredulous clerk at the CA Institute and rode back ! It took me about 4 hrs going and about the same time back.

Wow! 35 years ago! That was seriously one of the best motorcycle rides. I don't think there were 4-lane national highways like we have now. Doing it now on a 400cc engine is definitely easier, but on a 100cc motorcycle? Man, you must have some amazing stories to tell!

It must have been quite an adventure back then.
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:45   #23
BHPian

Yep, one wild wild ride to be reminisced with old friends. Nope, 4 lane highways were a distant dream back then! All we had were 2 lane undivided highways. I remember I chose the Old Madras road via Palamner over the relative more busy New Madras Highway via Hosur. I was lucky not to pickup a puncture as there were no shops to fix on this deserted highway.
Oh, the wild ways of youth ��
Passatman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 04:47   #24
BHPian

Nice one!

One of my most memorable trip to yercaud was also somewhat related to food.
An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-20211212_134028.jpg
A solo ride on RE Meteor from Bangalore to Yercaud and back for the heck of sheer riding pleasure.
An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-20211212_174405.jpg
Coffee with a view that I cherish for long time. Great Trails Yercaud GRT Hotel.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd February 2023 at 04:51.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Nice one!

One of my most memorable trip to yercaud was also somewhat related to food.

Coffee with a view that I cherish for long time. Great Trails Yercaud GRT Hotel.
Nice images!

The climate and food in Yercaud are lovely. It's a perfect spot for a relaxing weekend. Your second image looks familiar to me - I thought it was taken at the Grand Palace. I have a similar image that was taken at the Grand Palace Hotel.

An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-260144111_656857782316148_1342993391842954879_n.jpg

After seeing your images, I am tempted to stay at Great Trails Yercaud GRT. I have never tried it before.
Old 23rd February 2023, 18:24   #26
BHPian

@raptor_diwan That was hell of a ride!!! You really need biking spirit do do such adventure. Loved it.

Every biker tests himself based on maximum time in saddle in a day I believe. Same thing I had done in my 2019 Leh riding expedition where I had ridden my Himalayan from Leh to Sri Nagar in one shot. Saddle time was around 12 hours and I loved every bit of it. I was never so happy while going to bed that night.

Dominar is one good bike for touring and it covers distance so well.

Excellent photos.

Keep riding.

Cheers
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 21:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
@raptor_diwan That was hell of a ride!!! You really need biking spirit do do such adventure. Loved it.
Every biker tests himself based on maximum time in saddle in a day I believe.

Excellent photos.
Thank you! Exactly, bikers are like pilots, we earn experience based on ride time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Same thing I had done in my 2019 Leh riding expedition where I had ridden my Himalayan from Leh to Sri Nagar in one shot. Saddle time was around 12 hours and I loved every bit of it. I was never so happy while going to bed that night.
It sounds like you had an incredible time! Leh to Srinagar is an absolute bliss to ride. I'm glad you did it on a Himalayan; it must have been a great experience!
Old 12th March 2023, 19:08   #28
KPR
BANNED

Sorry about posting my single day ride here in your thread. Inspired by yours and many such one day rides I got tempted to go on a ride on Saturday to break monotony. I did a Trichy-Kodaikanal-Trichy ride in my new bike. I expected my cruising speed will be 70 to 80 kmph in plains and then the fun up and down hill rides owing to the nature of my new CT125x. As such I don't like to ride in plains. Kolli hills was my first choice being close to my home and very less 4 lane highway. But it was rejected by my wife due to the fear of 'Siththars' living in that hill that she had heard about when she was a kid. With due respect to her fears I chose Kodaikanal. Logs are as follows:

Start time from Srirangam- 0425 hrs
Route- Srirangam-Dindigul-Kodaikanal Astoria-Dindigul-Srirangam
1st pit stop after Manapparai for coffee break
2nd pit stop at Dindigul for coffee break
3rd pit stop at foot Hills
Reached Kodaikanal at 0915 hrs.
Had sumptuous breakfast there. Purchased some chocolates, carrots and oranges and stuffed them in my Viaterra seaty.
Return start at 1015 hrs.
4th pit stop for tea at foot Hills
5th stop for re fuel some 20km after Dindigul
Reached home at 1445 hrs.

Overall the bike performed normal at highways. I was surprised by its hill climbing ability. Being small and torque this was joy to play with.

Odo at start- 765 km
Odo at end- 1185 km

Surprise element- That seat of CT125X which was like sofa. I could keep riding for long with that seat. I had no pains whatsoever other than the regular fatigue due to occasional long endurance ride. I had lunch after I reached home. Posting my few photographs as I didn't click many

An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-20230311_074648.jpg

An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-20230311_111003.jpg

An 800-KM journey for the best breakfast on a Dominar-20230311_110946.jpg

Last edited by KPR : 12th March 2023 at 19:11.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 20:43   #29
BHPian

I cannot digest that you did an 800 km round trip in the quest of a good breakfast. Is Chennai breakfast scene so sad ? C’mon you must be kidding.
Old 12th March 2023, 22:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I cannot digest that you did an 800 km round trip in the quest of a good breakfast. Is Chennai breakfast scene so sad ? C’mon you must be kidding.
Hahaha, to be honest, for a biker, breakfast is just an excuse to ride the bike and a challenge to cover that many kilometers. But, I gotta reward myself, right? And that reward can only come when I reach at certain time, which is obviously breakfast time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Inspired by yours and many such one day rides I got tempted to go on a ride on Saturday to break monotony. I expected my cruising speed will be 70 to 80 kmph ]

This is exactly how my journey started in 2016. I was inspired by few travelogues in team bhp, I wanted to go on a bike ride, but at that time, I only had a Bajaj V15. I ended up doing a 2000 KM ride from Chennai to Palakkad, then to Kodaikanal, and back to Palakkad, before finally returning to Chennai. Throughout the ride, I maintained a speed of only 80kmph and enjoyed every bit of it.

Wishing you happy rides in the future, man!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks