Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 12:29   #16
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?

I did more than 1250 km on a tank full during my Jharkhand Kota trip to pick up a friend's kid on the day of the Janta Curfew 22nd March 2020 with 3 people. It was a 1.3 S cross with Dieseltronics dual-channel chip. I have quite regularly done 25kmpl on my visits to Varanasi with no AC (425 km one way). On Kota run overall average was 23kmpl but while going due to the Janta curfew it was all empty. I don't think I will ever get such empty roads in my lifetime. Only police and ambulances once in a while, No trucks, busses, cars motorcycles, practically nothing on the road. While coming back on the 23rd it was chaotic with double traffic and took additional 6 hrs coming back. I think I must have averaged 28kmpl minimum while going.
drsnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:24   #17
BHPian

On an average, I usually do a 380 + 380 ( 760) + 2 work days (40*2) = 840 kms on a full tank with still some tank range left.

I do not hyper mile or think of FE while driving.

Its a 2018 Figo Aspire TDCI with 40 litre fuel tank, with speeds at 90-110.
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
On an average, I usually do a 380 + 380 ( 760) + 2 work days (40*2) = 840 kms on a full tank with still some tank range left.

I do not hyper mile or think of FE while driving.

Its a 2018 Figo Aspire TDCI with 40 litre fuel tank, with speeds at 90-110.
Similar.. I also drive a 2021 Ford Aspire diesel .. On couple of my trips from Bangalore to Panvel, I generally take a re-fuel stop at HPCL bunk after crossing Satara (on the left) which is around 735 kms. Generally I have 100kms as distance to empty. After one such re-fill, the indicator even showed 999 kms as distance to empty. My speeds in Karnataka (nh48) are generally between 100-110.. And I'm not so gentle with my right foot at all.

Brochure say my fuel tank is 42L. My max refill is always around 35L. I generally don't do top-up and ask the bunk to pull the plug after it pops out.
swparth18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Definitely the distance is doable in a single tank of fuel.

I did this route on a single tank in Oct 2021 in S-Cross 1.6. This was a solo trip with AC. I fueled up at a fuel station in Bangalore and completed 1179.9 kms before I fueled up again at the same fuel station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
I did more than 1250 km on a tank full during my Jharkhand Kota trip to pick up a friend's kid on the day of the Janta Curfew 22nd March 2020 with 3 people. It was a 1.3 S cross with Dieseltronics dual-channel chip. I have quite regularly done 25kmpl on my visits to Varanasi with no AC (425 km one way). On Kota run overall average was 23kmpl but while going due to the Janta curfew it was all empty. I don't think I will ever get such empty roads in my lifetime. Only police and ambulances once in a while, No trucks, busses, cars motorcycles, practically nothing on the road. While coming back on the 23rd it was chaotic with double traffic and took additional 6 hrs coming back. I think I must have averaged 28kmpl minimum while going.

The above shows SCross is indeed a Maruti

TBH, The figures being discussed here are really commendable for a VW 1.5 TDI DSG.
Old 6th April 2023, 15:25   #20

How amazing to see you guys extract so much mileage out of your cars!
Meanwhile me here struggling to get anywhere over 10kmpl in my D segment sedan (civic 2021 petrol cvt).😄

Jokes aside, this is kind on mileage I'm getting in slow city driving.

Would love to get more insights from other D segment petrol car owners!
Old 6th April 2023, 16:16   #21
BHPian

Very interesting experiment indeed. I do this quite frequently and I usually get anywhere between 19-24 kmpl on highways in my Octavia 2.0 TDI MT.

I see a few people mentioning that it's not a good idea to let the car run in fumes as it's not good for the fuel pump. I agree to the same.

However, my car's fuel tank capacity is 50 litres and whenever the car hits the reserve, I have fuelled up immediately and it accommodates only 35 litres until auto cut-off and 37 litres if filled a little more by shaking the car vigorously eliminating the air locks. Please note that I have also fuelled up the car when the MFD showed 0 kms range and even then, the car took in upto 42 litres of fuel at the maximum. So, this implies that the car has a minimum of 13-15 litres of fuel inside when it hits the reserve and 10-8 litres when the range shows 0 kms.

So, my question is do we still have to be very cautious in regards to filling up the tank as soon as it hits the reserve? I think the manufacturers had kept this in mind and programmed the in-computer metrics in a way that it shows zero kilometre range despite having a fair amount of fuel left in the tank just to be on the safer side. Hence, filling up the tank as soon as it hits the reserve is just an additional level of safety measure we are taking for the sake of fuel pump is what I believe.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
A few months back, I did a trip from Bangalore to Hyderabad and back. During this trip, on my way back, I decided to try out if I could complete the trip without having to refuel. I almost made it to Bangalore, but had to refuel near Chikkaballapura, since the car was running on fumes by then.
I will not go into the details of dos and don'ts of driving a car with almost empty fuel tank but I applaud your driving patience and discipline in this trip
Interestingly, I was driving to Jaipur from Delhi last week on Delhi-Mumbai Eway and at one point the MID of my Tiago (P) showed 27+ km/l mileage. I was thrilled to see that and felt really good as I never saw such figures before.
Old 6th April 2023, 19:50   #23

I regularly managed to refill my Apache RTR 180 (bought in 2014 with 16 ltr fuel tank) after 1100km without even going in to reserve. No one believed me, but now with current cars (excluding CNG) i can easily record proof in the trip computer with any car or even 2 wheelers.
Currently i own Celerio ZXI 2021 model (32ltr petrol tank). I generally refill around 900km with DTE 100-200km.
I drive at the speed of 60-80kmph, can not exceed 80 because of traffic. I go to office early in the morning so AC is not needed, but during return at early evening AC at lowest temp and blower speed 1. My office is 35km away from my home and there is elevation change of 50ft hence one can see equal mileage in every trip, otherwise in the winter season as AC is not used in the return journey, the trip computer shows 40kmpl trip mileage.
Other trips generally consume more fuel which drag down refuel cycle fuel economy.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-screenshot_20230406172755_smartplay-dock.jpg  

Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-screenshot_20230406172758_smartplay-dock.jpg  

Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-screenshot_20230406172801_smartplay-dock.jpg  

sumitj71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 22:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Interesting experiment and as much as what matters is amount of fuel you use, but still there is some kick in doin more distance on same fuel tank.

I wanted to do the same last year while driving from Nagpur to BLR in my XUV500. It has a ~72 ltr fuel tank. But given that it was a single day drive, we had no intentions of driving with economy in mind. Managed to get till BLR airport area (~950km) without refueling but post that didnt want to take risk given city traffic etc and refuelled. But with sane speeds on XUV I can manage 15-16kmpl and 1200km range is doable.
Old 6th April 2023, 22:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post

TBH, The figures being discussed here are really commendable for a VW 1.5 TDI DSG.
May be slightly off topic. VW group TDI engines are very good mile munchers. So the mileage being discussed are not very high for 1.5 TDI. Just to compare: the Jetta 2.0 TDI (about 11 years old now) gives a healthy mileage in excess of 20+ km/l on highways if driven sedately (not slow). Cruise Control is boon on such good highway runs (my opinion). The Jetta here is a HL DSG.
Pic attached for reference. I have seen the MID returning 22.0 kmpl too (T to T method may be 1 or 1.5 l less than the MID average). But the flow of traffic plays a key differentiator in such highway runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-img20230406wa0026.jpg  

ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 10:33   #26
BHPian

VW TDI s are really frugal mile munchers! My Passat b5.5 with the 1.9 PD still shocks me with insane figures while driven with a light right foot. On a recent drive I was thrilled to see that the Mileage MID maxxed out @ 99.9 mpg! While I checked out the tankful method, I got a figure of around 34.6 kmpl. While I used to blitz the Hyd Blr highways a decade ago, nowadays it's a sedate drive ( speed cams+ traffic) and i never fill @ Hyd thanks to the higher prices. Here's a pic of the MID which I saved for posterity
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-img_20221111_103036.jpg  

Passatman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 16:54   #27
BHPian

Petrol isn't so bad either, a full tank got me from MP to Delhi (refilled after Mathura just because fuel was cheaper in UP)

Bangalore to Hyderabad and back on a Single Tank of Diesel?-img20230407wa0004.jpg

With AC on all the way, full trunk of luggage and 3 passengers. No hypermiling, just constant speeds between 85-100kmph and minimal braking
Old 7th April 2023, 20:33   #28
BHPian

It is not advisable to drive your vehicle until the fuel tank is almost empty. It's important to strike a balance between maximizing the fuel efficiency displayed by the car computer and not being overly obsessed with it.
While you may be able to squeeze out a few more kms by avoiding braking or driving until the tank is completely empty, it's not worth risking damage to your vehicle or putting yourself in a dangerous situation. It's always better to err on the side of caution and keep your fuel tank at a reasonable level.
Old 7th April 2023, 23:44   #29
BHPian

I have been refueling my Maruti Ritz Diesel after the low fuel warning turns on for the last 10 years. So far no issues with fuel pump etc. I tend to agree with the few folks saying fuel filters do their job of protecting the fuel pump.

I also tend to minimize breaking in my drives but I agree it can be dangerous. Once I drove from Cyberhub Gurgaon towards my home in Sec52 for a good 10kms without stepping on the break pedal. I would love to try the one pedal drive systems in EVs these days
Time_Machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2345 View Post
Very interesting experiment indeed. I do this quite frequently and I usually get anywhere between 19-24 kmpl on highways in my Octavia 2.0 TDI MT.
Please check the Fuel Float of your car, there cannot be so much fuel when the MID is displaying Zero or displaying low fuel warning. The values are calibrated with a factor of safety but not this high. Check with fellow Octavians. My observation is that when these warnings are displayed, the car can still run some 20-30 kms and varies from car to car but the quantity mentioned by you is much more.

Fuel Filters may do their job but over the period of time, the tanks start accumulating lots of residues due to refills, this may keep on sitting at the bottom of the tank from where the fuel gets sucked by the pump, although strainers are available on the Fuel Pump but it is never changed hence there are high chances of it attracting the residual debris & more chances of less fuel supply due to choking, it will also draw high current from the system since the pump has to work more due to resistance.
It is always better not to wait till it gets onto fumes and to refill at the very first opportunity as soon as the low fuel light comes up.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th April 2023 at 19:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Trimmed quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks