Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 09:33   #1
BHPian

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven

"Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer."

Prologue

We were feeling bored and eager for a change of scenery after our last trip. Work and other commitments had bogged us down, and we were itching to hit the road again. Luckily, May 1st was coming up, and it was a long weekend! The only problem was that most tourist places would be packed well beyond 200% capacity. We saw viral videos on social media of kms long traffic lines during the April 14th long Vishu weekend in Kerala, and we sure didn't want to deal with that.

After some research, we came across Valparai. It is situated at an altitude of 3,500 feet above sea level and is known for its tea estates. We had never been there before, and it wouldn't be too crowded during the long weekend. Plus, the route to Valparai was quite scenic! Despite knowing that April wasn't the best time to visit Valparai or Athirapilly, we decided to take the plunge anyway. It was much cooler in Valparai (around 26șC) compared to the sweltering 35șC+ in Coimbatore, so it was a no-brainer for us!

Huge thanks to mallumowgli for all the help! We had a wonderful experience thanks to your pointers and suggestions!

Places to Visit

We planned to visit the following places:

1. Aliyar Dam Park
2. Monkey Waterfalls
3. Hornbill View point
4. Thalanaar Snow Point
5. Velankanni Matha Church
6. Kuzhakanal River
7. Nallamudi Poonchola View point
8. Sholayar Dam
9. Athirapilly / Vazhachal Waterfalls

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-my-project1.jpg

Our Ride

Our Rapid had been idle for almost 2 months now and was yearning to stretch her legs. Driving the 1.6 TDi through the twisty, curvy, hair-pinny ghat and forest roads was a blast!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_092300.jpg

The Stay

In Valparai, we stayed at Waterfall Estate, specifically their Valley View bungalow. It was such a unique experience to be in the middle of a tea estate! We loved waking up to the stunning views of the valley.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_131701.jpg

In Athirapilly, we stayed at Palatty's Resort, which was situated near the Ezhattumukam check post and by the Chalakudi river.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_074605.jpg

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 5th May 2023 at 19:37.
GeneralJazz is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th May 2023, 20:45   #2
BHPian

Re: My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven

Day 1

Valparai is not very far from Coimbatore, it's only around 110 kilometers away and takes about 3.5 hours by car. This means we didn't have to wake up too early in the morning and could start our journey at a comfortable 6:30 AM after a good night's sleep. Since we had a light breakfast at home, we didn't need to stop for breakfast on the way.

Coffee Break

Outside of Pollachi, we saw a small coffee shop located next to an HP petrol pump. This gave us a chance to take a break and have some coffee while refilling the Rapid, as all three of us needed to refuel.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_074816.jpg

After taking a short break, we resumed our journey towards Aliyar. Soon, we left the city behind and had the magnificent Western Ghats ahead of us. Seeing the green peaks in front of us brought an immediate sense of relief from the dust and rush of the city. Somewhere along the way, we crossed a small and seemingly unimportant bridge, over what appeared to be a stream with very little water flowing under it. However, we were surprised to learn later from Google Maps that the "stream" was actually the Bharathapuzha river, which is the second-longest river in Kerala!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_081540.jpg

Aliyar Dam Park

Aliyar Dam Park is a small park located next to the Aliyar Dam, and tickets for entry can be bought at the gate. The park is well-maintained, and we enjoyed walking around the garden before heading towards the other end where the steps to the top is situated.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_082208.jpg

The highlight of the dam park is a large fountain that creates a small artificial stream. However, when we visited the park, there was very little water in the fountain and the stream had almost dried up due to the dry season. Nonetheless, we still enjoyed exploring the park and taking in its natural beauty.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_082351.jpg

After gasping for breath and feeling like we were going to collapse, we finally made it to the top of Aliyar Dam Park. My fitness tracker told me I had climbed the equivalent of 8 floors, but my legs were convinced it was more like 80! Nevertheless, the view from the top was absolutely mind-blowing! We were able to enjoy a stunning panoramic view of the Aliyar Dam Reservoir and the section of Western Ghats surrounding it.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_083617.jpg

The green mountains surrounding the Aliyar Dam Reservoir was simply breathtaking! It looked as if the hills were covered with a plush green carpet, stretching out as far as the eye could see. If you looked closely, you could even spot sections of the winding hairpin bends climbing up the mountains, like tiny veins leading up to the heart of the Western Ghats.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_083944.jpg

Aliyar Dam View Point

Just a little ahead of the dam park, there is a spot where we can see the beautiful hills around us. From there, we can see a stunning view of the green landscape with a lovely stream flowing through it.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_090728.jpg

As we were admiring the picturesque view, we noticed some movement and saw a group of black monkeys running along the stream. I was able to capture this moment using the 100x zoom of my S23U.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_090651.jpg

We can also see the 80-year-old dam from this viewpoint.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_092124.jpg

There are many beautiful viewpoints along the route, and if we were to stop at all of them, our 3-hour drive would turn into a multi-day trip! Therefore, we only stopped at the viewpoints that were too spectacular to miss.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_092300.jpg

Right after the dam park, we passed through the Anamalai Tiger Reserve forest entry checkpost. To continue our journey, we had to purchase entry tickets for both the car and passengers. We also had the option to purchase entry tickets for Monkey Falls from the same place. However, we were disappointed to learn that the falls were closed for the next few months due to very low water levels.

We soon reached the first of the 40 hairpin bends on our way to Valparai.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_093531.jpg

As we continued to climb higher, the scenery became increasingly breathtaking. Some sections of the hairpin bends were so close together that we could get a dizzying view of the roads far below us.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_094128.jpg

Hornbill View Point & Jungle Walk

Our next stop was a gorgeous spot located right next to the Attakatti check post. We purchased the entry tickets from there, which also included entry to the nearby orchidarium. It was very beautiful inside, probably would have been much prettier during the monsoons.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_100026.jpg

It was a brief walk to the viewpoint, and when we reached there, we were the only visitors at that time. The only sounds we could hear were the chirping of crickets and other forest bugs.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_100306.jpg

This spot provides an amazing sight of the Western Ghats and you can also see the Upper Aliyar Dam from here. We spent a lot of time here just admiring the unbelievable beauty!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_100530.jpg

Follow the picturesque trail that winds through the lush forest. This serene 0.5 km pathway leads you back to the main road, and along the way, you can enjoy the beautiful scenery that surrounds you. A mini forest trail if you will!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_101441.jpg

We made our way to the Anamalai Orchidarium. This charming little facility is well-maintained and houses several varieties of orchids and ferns in a controlled environment chamber. The inner room is equipped with sensors, AC blowers, and water sprayers to ensure both temperature and humidity are at optimal levels. We had the pleasure of meeting the knowledgeable caretaker who gave us an insightful tour of the orchids, including the saprophyte varieties. He explained how researchers use ferns as indicators to monitor the health of the forest and how temperature and humidity affect their growth and maturity. If you're in the area, I highly recommend a visit to this place.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-my-project11.jpg

The stroll back to the entrance was simply breathtaking. The road was adorned with stunning Gulmohar trees, whose fiery red blooms provided a stunning contrast to the lush green surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_103312.jpg

Waterfall Tea Estate

En route, we halted at a picturesque spot, which also serves as one of the entry points to the Waterfall Tea Estate. Here, a charming stream meandered through the landscape, adding to its natural beauty. They also sold tea grown on their estate, so we picked up a couple of packets as a souvenir of our trip.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-my-project12.jpg

Since it was only 11 AM, we decided to head over to Thalanaar before checking into the bungalow. The drive was absolutely mesmerizing, with rolling hills covered in lush tea plantations surrounding us on all sides. As we drove further, we noticed the weather getting cooler by the kilometer, providing a much-needed respite from the heat. It was an incredibly refreshing experience.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_113734.jpg

Thalanar Snow point

As we turned off from the main road towards the viewpoint, we reached a check post where we purchased entry tickets. The guard was quite stern and made it clear that we were only allowed to go till the watchtower and no further. It turned out that the locals had some concerns about tourists and preferred to restrict access beyond the tower.
Nevertheless, the drive to the tower was awe-inspiring, with some really narrow sections and a couple of hairpin turns. The tower itself was perched right at a hairpin bend and had ample space to park. To our delight, there was only one other car parked there, which left soon, leaving the entire spot to ourselves!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_115033.jpg

From the watchtower, we were treated to a stunning panoramic view of the hills that stretched as far as the eye could see. The lush green hills seemed to go on endlessly, offering a magnificent sight. As we stood there, we felt a cool breeze blowing and a slight drizzle started, making the experience all the more delightful. It was truly an awesome moment.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_120030.jpg

On the other side of the tower, we were able to see the rest of the winding Thalanaar road. The view was nothing short of remarkable, with the road disappearing into the hills. We lingered there for a while, savoring the tranquil ambiance and stunning scenery. However, as the gusts of wind and the increasing rain started to become too much, we knew it was time to leave.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_120831.jpg

The Rapid seemed to enjoy the hilly terrain just as much as we did. Thanks to its torquey diesel engine, navigating the winding roads was a breeze.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_120948.jpg

Day 1 to be continued.....

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 8th May 2023 at 12:06.
GeneralJazz is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 23:25   #3
BHPian

Day 1 continued..

Valley View Bungalow

As it was close to lunchtime, we decided to head to the Valley View Bungalow. The journey involved driving for approximately 2 kilometers through the stunning Waterfall Tea Estate. It was a truly enjoyable drive, taking us right through the heart of the lush tea plantation. We were fascinated by the rows upon rows of tea bushes and the scenic beauty that surrounded us. The journey was truly a feast for the eyes.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_130744_068.mov_000252900.jpg

Soon, we arrived at the Valley View Bungalow, which is one of three bungalows situated within the Waterfall Estate. The bungalow is located atop a small hill, offering a stunning view of this side of the plantation.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_131244_069.mov_000058100.jpg

We parked in front of the bungalow and and Rapid looked absolutely happy to be here! The surroundings were incredibly peaceful and quiet, and we couldn't help but fall in love with the serene atmosphere. The light drizzle that was present only added to the surreal feeling of the place.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_153019.jpg

As we stepped inside the bungalow, we were greeted by the caretakers who manage the property. The bungalow had two bedrooms, a hall, and was very well-maintained. We had informed them of our lunch preferences beforehand, and they had a hot meal ready for us by the time we arrived. The caretakers were very courteous and hospitable. We freshened up and relished a delicious lunch of chapatis and spicy fish curry made from the fish caught in the dam nearby.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_131550.jpg

The heavy rain made the drive through the estate even more exciting, with the sound of the raindrops hitting the leaves and the roof of the car adding to the already serene surroundings. The winding roads through the lush green tea plantations made for a beautiful sight. Despite the heavy rain, the roads were well maintained and we were able to navigate through the estate without any problems.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_154228_071.mov_000198633.jpg

As we drove on the main road, the earlier heavy rain had transformed into a gentle drizzle, leaving behind a thin mist that enveloped the hills.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_163315.jpg

Velankanni Matha Church

We drove towards the Velankanni Matha Church, which is located around 16kms from the estate. The church, built 20 years ago, is situated on top of a small hill with a scenic view of the tea plantations around it. The sight was quite picturesque. From its vantage point on the hill, it offered a commanding view of the surroundings. We could see tea estates and rolling hills as far as the eye could see.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_163902.jpg

The stream near the location was an absolute treat to the eyes. The crystal-clear water was flowing with such force, creating a beautiful symphony as it cascaded over the rocks. The lush green hills surrounding it added to its charm and made for a truly mesmerizing sight.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_164031.jpg

The water level in the stream was low, so we went down to check it out. It was a lovely sight - the water rushing over the rocks, surrounded by the green hills. We spent a long time there, just listening to the soothing sound of the water. It was so peaceful, with only the occasional vehicle passing by on the nearby road. If we had a good book with us, we could have easily spent the whole day there!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_165138.jpg

Upon arriving at the church, we were engulfed in an aura of serenity that is indescribable. The tranquil environment was unlike any other, making it a truly unforgettable experience. We then proceeded to take a leisurely stroll, basking in the breathtaking beauty of our surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_170107.jpg

Although we yearned to stay for much longer, the impending dusk and the beginning of a new drizzle reluctantly compelled us to return to the bungalow. Nevertheless, not without capturing a beautiful shot of the Rapid amidst the picturesque backdrop.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_171411.jpg

Back at the Valley View Bungalow

As we returned to the bungalow, the caretakers warned us that it could be dangerous to wander outside after sunset without a vehicle. So, we decided to take a leisurely stroll around the property and the nearby road. The tea plantation workers had already left for the day, and we savored the quiet surroundings. It felt like we had the entire area to ourselves!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_181510.jpg

As the night fell and the rain poured down, we retreated back indoors. The caretakers had prepared a scrumptious dinner for us and we relished the hot meal. Afterwards, we spent a long time sitting in the veranda, enjoying the serene night atmosphere.

Suddenly, the idea of exploring the estate struck my mind, and the caretakers told us that it was fine as long as we stayed in the car. Without any delay, we hopped into the Rapid and started out. It was an unparalleled experience, driving through the tea estate in the rainy night. As we drove along, we couldn't help but notice some vibrant decorations adorning the road. Curious, we asked our friend Alex about them and he informed us that they were put up in honor of the deity Muthumariamman.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_202624_091.mov_000088900.jpg

We drove for a while in complete darkness, with only the headlights of the Rapid to guide us through the hills.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_204124_094.mov_000240333.jpg

For a long time, we drove around just enjoying the eerie beauty of the place in the darkness. The only areas with any signs of life were the other two bungalows, which were illuminated in the distance. But we continued our aimless drive until the road got very bad and decided to turn back. As the rain started to pour down, we finally made our way back to our bungalow, feeling exhilarated by the experience of exploring the tea estate at night.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0429_205624_097.mov_000054933.jpg

One last shot of the Rapid outside our bungalow before we turn in for the night.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230429_211047.jpg

End of Day 1

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 7th May 2023 at 16:07.
GeneralJazz is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 16:30   #4
BHPian

Day 2

We woke up to the sound of flowing water in the morning. As the rain had stopped, we guessed there must be a stream nearby. With ample time until breakfast, we decided to explore the area. The morning dew made everything look picturesque, adding to the charm of the surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_073356.jpg

As we explored the area, we noticed the plantation workers starting their day and going about their work. It was fascinating to watch them put in such hard work, which we know ultimately leads to our daily dose of tea.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_074104.jpg

Lady GeneralJazz on savage mode, sipping hot coffee smack in the middle of a damn tea estate!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_074114.jpg

As we ventured out to explore the surroundings of our bungalow, we were greeted by the sight of endless rows of tea plants, each standing in perfect symmetry like a green army awaiting orders. The occasional jeep tracks carved a path through the sea of tea plants, leading us deeper into the heart of this serene haven.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_074747.jpg

We traced the source of the enchanting melody to a charming stream, meandering through the lush valley. The crystal clear waters shimmered in the golden rays of the morning sun, making it a truly breathtaking sight to behold.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_075306.jpg

The Valley View Bungalow, sitting atop the hills with a panoramic view of the valley, truly lived up to its name. As the sun emerged from behind the clouds, the morning light cascaded over the surroundings, creating a stunning golden glow that bathed the entire area. We were awestruck by the breathtaking scenery and could have spent hours basking in its beauty, but the rumbling of our stomachs brought us back to reality, reminding us that it was time for breakfast.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_075410.jpg

Upon returning to the bungalow, we were welcomed by the mouth-watering aroma of a breakfast spread. Soft idlis, crispy doshas, and some incredible chutney were all waiting for us. After relishing the delicious food, we completed our packing and proceeded to check out.

The courteous caretakers handed us a bill of the food we had ordered and provided us with directions to the estate office to settle the dues. As we bid farewell to the Waterfall Estate, we knew that this stay was going to be etched in our memories forever. It was an experience that we would cherish for a lifetime.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_100438.jpg

Kuzhakanal River

Our first stop of the day was at the Kuzhakanal river spot, a small section of the river near the bridge where people come to take a dip. We had to navigate through the busy and congested Valparai town to reach the spot. Upon arrival, we found it to be very crowded, but the beauty of the spot was too irresistible to ignore.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_105051_112.mov_000135000.jpg

I couldn't resist taking a photo before we headed down to the river spot. After finding a parking spot a few hundred meters ahead, we walked towards the river, mesmerized by the natural beauty surrounding us.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_113010.jpg

As the rains hadn't started yet, the water level of the river was relatively low. Despite this, there were still a few spots where the water was deep enough for people to lay down and relax. After walking a short distance, we managed to find a section that wasn't too crowded.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_111724.jpg

We couldn't help but admire the view of the bridge from the spot. We spent a considerable amount of time on the banks, just soaking in the beauty of the surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_111713.jpg

We had not intended to take a dip in the water, but the sight was too gorgeous to resist. Eventually, we discovered a shallow area and walked in ankle-deep. The water was cool and invigorating. After enjoying the refreshing ankle-deep water, we made our way back to the main road and decided to grab some snacks from one of the many stalls lining the road. Satisfying our hunger pangs, we hopped back into the Rapid and set our sights on the next destination.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_111014.jpg

Nallamudi View Point

Our next destination was the Nallamudi viewpoint, nestled inside a picturesque tea estate and approximately 10 km away from Valparai town. Although we were warned about the bumpy roads, mallumowgli assured us that the view from the top would be awe-inspiring.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_114309.jpg

As we made our way towards the Nallamudi viewpoint, the road became increasingly rough, but the stunning landscapes that unfolded before us made every bump and jolt worthwhile. Driving through the vast and lush tea estate was a truly exhilarating experience, with the only major annoyance being the bikers who kept trying to pull off risky overtakes.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_114941_116.mov_000183633.jpg

Throughout the journey, I had a nagging worry of coming across a large oncoming vehicle as the narrow road posed a real threat. My apprehension soon materialized when we got stuck behind a mini bus that blocked the road completely due to an oncoming TNSTC bus. Several cars were stranded in both directions, leaving us with no choice but to reverse to a nearby wide section and turn around. After driving a few kilometers ahead, we waited at a wider section until the pile-up finally cleared, which took around 15 minutes.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_120440_119.mov_000143533.jpg

We reached the viewpoint without any more mishaps. Although the parking area was small, the path leading up to it was in a bad condition, something only an SUV would love. But fortunately, we managed to make it through without any damage.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_122941_124.mov_000003866.jpg

We bought our tickets from the entrance counter and began our stroll towards the viewpoint. The path led us through the lush tea plants and we enjoyed the scenic walk. The cloudy weather and the gentle breeze added to the charm of the surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_124047.jpg

At the end of the path, there is a watchtower that offers a splendid view of the surrounding hills.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_124604.jpg

The panoramic view from the top of the watchtower was truly awe-inspiring. The Western Ghats stretched out before us, as far as the eye could see. No matter how many times I had seen this magnificent range of mountains before, it never failed to leave me spellbound with its stunning beauty.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_125553.jpg

The zoomed-in view reveals the rugged beauty of the mountain range, with its deep valleys and steep cliffs. It is mind blowing to think that this range, the Western Ghats, is actually older than the Himalayas themselves.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_125119.jpg

With the first raindrops starting to make their appearance,we decided to return. As we made our way back towards the parking lot, the rain started to intensify, and before we knew it, we were caught in a heavy downpour. We quickened our pace, but the path became muddy and slippery, making it difficult to walk or even run. In no time, we were completely drenched and shivering from the cold. When we finally reached the parking area, we found that the Rapid's windows were completely covered in mist giving us some much needed privacy, which allowed us to change into dry clothes. However, it wasn't an easy task for me, as I have the flexibility of a concrete pole.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_134431_128.mov_000024366.jpg

Day 2 to be continued.....

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 8th May 2023 at 12:05.
GeneralJazz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 23:16   #5
BHPian

Day 2 continued....

It was pouring heavily by the time we reached Valparai, and we noticed that some parts of the town were starting to get flooded. Luckily, we managed to avoid the congested areas and leave town just in time.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_141431_134.mov_000026166.jpg

Sholayar Reservoir View Point

At this point, we were able to stop and admire the great view of the dam reservoir. Due to the rains having only just begun, the water level was well below capacity. The light drizzle only added to the scenic beauty of the place.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_145142.jpg

We could see several small streams flowing into the reservoir, each contributing to its water levels.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_145056.jpg

(Upper) Sholayar Dam

We made a quick stop at the Sholayar Dam to take a look. Since it was still drizzling, we didn't stay for too long. The dam we saw is the upper Sholayar Dam, which belongs to Tamil Nadu, while the lower Sholayar Dam belongs to Kerala.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_150447.jpg

The view of the upper dam reservoir from the dam.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_150448.jpg

We could see a park located below the dam, but we were uncertain whether it was open or not.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_150558.jpg

Soon, we departed from the spot and continued driving along the Chalakudy road. As we continued our descend, we were able to catch one last glimpse of the imposing structure. It was truly an awe-inspiring sight!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_155219.jpg

Soon we reached the border and crossed over from the wonderful roads of TN.....

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_155538_147.mov_000025633.jpg

.....into the absolute crap dumpster fire roads of KL. *sigh*

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_155538_147.mov_000045500.jpg

We arrived at the Malakkapara forest checkpost where we had to provide details about our vehicle and get a pass to enter the forest. We were required to give the pass to the checkpost at the other end of the forest.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_161538_151.mov_000018333.jpg

The drive through the forest section was not very enjoyable. The roads were in bad condition and there were many reckless drivers and bikers which made it quite exhausting. We had some close calls too.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_162350.jpg

As we continued on our journey, the road conditions gradually improved, allowing us to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We eventually stopped at a picturesque spot to stretch our legs and admire the stunning view of the Sholayar reservoir, with the magnificent dam visible in the distance.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_170551.jpg

As we continued our journey, we came across a beautiful bridge. The sun was setting and its golden rays illuminated the surroundings. The water flowing underneath the bridge sparkled and glimmered, leaving us mesmerized by its beauty.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_173955.jpg

It was such a stunning sight that we couldn't resist stopping in the middle of the bridge for a moment to take it all in. The scenery was so captivating that we just had to soak it up before moving on.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_174008.jpg

At Chapra Waterfalls, despite the lack of water, the sun's descent had cast a sepia-toned spell over the entire landscape, creating a beautiful atmosphere that was truly captivating.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230430_183243.jpg

At the other forest checkpost, we gave the forest pass we received earlier to the officials, who checked our vehicle number and the number of passengers inside before letting us continue.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_181912_174.mov_000273000.jpg

Around 6:30 PM, we arrived at the famous Athirapilly Waterfalls, which was bustling with a huge crowd. Despite the crowd, we were able to navigate our way through the area without much difficulty.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_183921_177.mov_000034800.jpg

Around this time, the hotel contacted us to inform that they were unable to provide dinner as their restaurant was not fully operational and the nearby hotel they usually source food from was closed due to the May Day holiday. This left us in a difficult situation as all the other hotels we passed by on our way were closed as well. Luckily, we were able to find a restaurant that was still open inside the Silverstorm water theme park, and we were able to have dinner there.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_190755_183.mov_000131600.jpg

Palattys Resort

We drove towards the Ezhattumukam forest check post where our hotel was located. As we left the main road, the surroundings turned completely dark, and our headlights were the only source of illumination for the road ahead.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_192633_185.mov_000139666.jpg

After what seemed like an endless journey in the pitch-black forest, we finally made it to our hotel. As we stepped out of the car, we could hear the loud, roaring sound of the nearby river. It was so dark that we couldn't see much, but we knew we were close to the riverbank. We were too tired to do any exploring and quickly checked in, eager to hit the hay.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0430_194134_188.mov_000023833.jpg

End of Day 2
GeneralJazz is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 23:45   #6
BHPian

Day 3

After a good night's sleep, we woke up quite early and thought of walking down to see the river. But actually, we really didn't have to go that far! This was literally the view outside our window - it was absolutely awesome!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_072939.jpg

We strolled down to the riverside with our steaming cups of morning coffee. Despite the early hour, the water was surprisingly lukewarm. We settled ourselves on a cosy rock and revelled in the picturesque surroundings.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_074732.jpg

You can see how close the hotel is to the river. 10/10 for the location. Easily one of the best places we have stayed at.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_074605.jpg

The hotel's location is an absolute gem, with the Chalakudy river flowing so close to it. The best part? The river is divided into a small section in front of the hotel by rocks and foliage, giving you privacy and seclusion from the rest of the river. We had a great time here, taking a dip in the refreshing water, which was deep enough to fully immerse ourselves. But that's not all - if you stood still for long enough, you'd get a free fish spa treatment! It was hilarious and ticklish to feel those little fish nibbling away at our feet.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_080954.jpg

As the morning progressed, our stomachs started growling and we knew it was time for breakfast. The hotel staff had arranged for some delicious appams and egg curry from a nearby eatery, which we savored while sitting right next to the river. The sound of the gushing water and the peaceful surroundings made it an unforgettable experience.

After breakfast, we couldn't resist going back to the water to soak in a little bit more. The clear and refreshing water was just too hard to resist! But soon it was time to pack our bags and head back home, and reluctantly we made our way back to our room.

Back to Coimbatore

After completing the check-out process, we resumed our journey along the scenic Ezhattumukam road until we reached Chalakudy. From there, we joined the bustling NH544 highway and continued our drive towards Coimbatore.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0501_132220_196.mov_000160200.jpg

It was already 2PM and we were famished. The morning's water activities had completely wiped out our breakfast. We decided to stop for lunch at the Food n Fun restaurant, located approximately 10kms from Mannuthy. The food was absolutely scrumptious, particularly their fish biriyani which we thoroughly enjoyed!

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0501_140220_204.mov_000082633.jpg

We soon arrived at the Kuthiran tunnel and witnessed a peculiar weather phenomenon. On one side of the tunnel, it was scorching hot, bright and completely dry......

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0501_150638_206.mov_000003033.jpg

.........while on the other side, there was a heavy downpour, making everything wet. It was quite a peculiar sight to see such a stark contrast in weather conditions in such close proximity.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0501_150638_206.mov_000054433.jpg

Due to the government holiday, the roads were heavily congested, and we found ourselves stuck behind slow-moving trucks occupying both lanes, making for a frustrating drive.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-2023_0501_153638_212.mov_000085533.jpg

Finally, at long last, we made it back to the comfort of our own home sweet home. As we stepped out of the car, we couldn't help but let out a collective sigh of relief. It was a good thing it was still raining in Coimbatore, because we were not ready to face the scorching heat just yet.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-20230501_173952.jpg

Conclusion

Total Distance: 480km

As I reflect on our trip to Valparai and Chalakudy, I am all smiles at the memories we made. The beautiful tea plantations, the refreshing dips in the river, and the comfortable stay in the tea estate were all just what we needed to escape the heat of Coimbatore. But the real highlight was when we got a free fish spa from the tiny fishes nibbling at our feet in the river! Overall, it was a fantastic trip that we'll cherish for a long time. It was way different from our previous trips in that it wasn't taxing in anyway and with the busy quarter bogging us down this was exactly what we needed. Can't wait to plan our next adventure.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 8th May 2023 at 12:04.
GeneralJazz is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 12:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing General!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 22:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Awesome as usual GeneralJazz. As I said earlier, you guys are the perfect travelers - making the most of any situation. Happy that I've been able to help you a bit in this trip
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Super travelogue and brought back so many memories of my rides to and Waterfalls. Are the road conditions still smooth and well-paved in the twisties?
AKSO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:50   #10

Excellent and a very detailed travelogue @GeneralJazz. A quick observation followed by a question please. You have maintained your Rapid very well. How old is it if I may ask ? I myself own a Rapid TSI purchased in 2020.
traveller_riz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 13:37   #11
BHPian

What a lovely travelogue, i was practically re-living the entire trip through your words and pics. Have been that side of the country on multiple occasions and have been lucky to experience similar moments. However I truly long for that fish spa treatment now
Ashwin Morey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 15:23   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the share a nice write up, went through it fully, been awhile I have been planning to take the Athirapilly route to reach Valparai. I liked your style of writing and very nice pictures captured too. Wishing you many more miles of happiness. Keep writing.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Awesome as usual GeneralJazz. As I said earlier, you guys are the perfect travelers - making the most of any situation. Happy that I've been able to help you a bit in this trip
Thank you so much Praveenji! Your suggestions were invaluable for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSO View Post
Super travelogue and brought back so many memories of my rides to Valparai and Athirapally Waterfalls. Are the road conditions still smooth and well-paved in the twisties?
Awesome vlogs AKSO! It was nice to see the same route from a biker's perspective! The roads are excellent on the TN side, and except for the forest section, decent in the KL side too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller_riz View Post
Excellent and a very detailed travelogue @GeneralJazz. A quick observation followed by a question please. You have maintained your Rapid very well. How old is it if I may ask ? I myself own a Rapid TSI purchased in 2020.
Thank you so much traveller_riz! My Rapid is MY13, 10 years old this year, currently at 52k kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
What a lovely travelogue, i was practically re-living the entire trip through your words and pics. Have been that side of the country on multiple occasions and have been lucky to experience similar moments. However I truly long for that fish spa treatment now
Thank you Ashwin Morey! There are several such places where you can get a nice fish spa! How about making that the inspiration for your next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Thanks for the share a nice write up, went through it fully, been awhile I have been planning to take the Athirapilly route to reach Valparai. I liked your style of writing and very nice pictures captured too. Wishing you many more miles of happiness. Keep writing.
Thank you so much for the kind words majumon!
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice and detailed travelogue on Valparai with some nice and scenic pics too. Thanks for sharing.

I was there this weekend and for latest information I referred this thread. I loved this place.

My Travel Diary: Weekend drive to Valparai, the 7th Heaven-img20230514wa0108.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 14th May 2023 at 22:04.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 08:35   #15
BHPian

I initially landed on this because this travelogue involves a fun-to-drive German machine and personally, I have a soft spot for Volkswagen/Skoda based travelogues, as they give me an insight of how these cars handle various Indian environments.

I can only imagine how much you must have enjoyed driving a 1.6TDI Rapid on those hairpin bends. For a petrolhead, how can it possibly get any better than this? A fun to drive, powerful German car on those wonderful switchback roads.

And then I completely forgot about the car when I saw those breathtaking pictures. The mountains, greenery, streams - every other photo is just proper calendar material. And then its beautifully written as well, of course!

Looks like a perfect place to add to my future road-trips.

Brilliant travelogue. Keep it up, sir!
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks