Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan

As the monsoons grace us once again, I couldn't resist posting about my mini Konkan ride. Better late than never, I hope this travelogue can still assist fellow travelers in planning their visits to Konkan during the monsoons.

Day 1

We had planned to meet up at Airoli, where a gentle drizzle welcomed us at the starting point. Our journey began promptly at 6:30 AM.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-055808.jpg

We stopped for breakfast at Hotel Dattaguru, a trusted spot I've frequented for years on this route.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-080124.jpg

Despite the usual 3-4 hour travel time, our journey to my farmhouse took an extended 6 hours due to the abysmal condition of NH66. They have concretized a major portion of the highway now but the work is still in progress.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-110957.jpg

Heavy rainfall disrupted our plans to visit Raigad fort on the same day. With the downpour lasting for 3-4 hours, we decided to take a well-deserved break and simply enjoy the soothing rain.

Later that day, the rain cleared, and we were treated to a stunning sunset :

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-184109.jpg

Old school chicken tandoori for dinner:

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-213818.jpg

Some astrophotography to end the day:

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-220922.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-203000.jpg

Timelapse:

Name:  str.gif
Views: 563
Size:  6.63 MB

Day 2

After breakfast, we headed to Raigad Ropeway in the morning via Mangaon. To reach the Raigad Ropeway, there are two routes available: one via Mangaon and the other via Mahad. The route via Mahad is the more commonly used option as it offers a straightforward two-lane road. On the other hand, the route via Mangaon is a bit trickier, with several sections reducing to a single lane. However, despite the challenges, it is undeniably a scenic route that offers breathtaking views along the way. Since we planned our trip on a weekday, we were fortunate to find no queues for tickets at the ropeway. The cost of a round-trip ticket was INR 310, and they told us to return by 5PM. Additionally, there is an entry fee of INR 25 per person to enter the fort. Also, the ropeway is not operational during heavy rains, so it's important to confirm its availability before visiting on a rainy day.

Ignore the individuals urging you to park your car before reaching the base station. Free public parking is available for approximately 20-30 cars. However on weekends, consider private parking; they charge around INR 80.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-131324.jpg

It takes around 5-10 mins to reach the top station and the view is absolutely mesmerizing:

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-154227.jpg

The weather on our visit to Raigad Fort was just right - a combination of clouds and a gentle drizzle. It was a perfect balance, as clear skies and heavy rain wouldn't have been as ideal. Exploring the fort and savoring the views at Raigad can easily take 2-3 hours. At the top, there is a restaurant where you can grab a meal, and along the way, you'll also come across vendors offering refreshing options like fresh lime juice and kokum sarbat.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-132505.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-134223.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-141239.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-142948.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-143243.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-151040.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-151112.jpg

We had to forgo lunch as the restaurant at the top station was not operational during that time. Leaving the fort at 4:30 PM, we were greeted by a light drizzle.

After a brief snack near the base station, we headed back to my farmhouse. As night fell, the skies opened up, presenting me with another wonderful opportunity to capture star trails.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-213705.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-213651.jpg

Timelapse:

Name:  str2.gif
Views: 587
Size:  2.84 MB

Day 3

After breakfast, we set off early in the morning to visit Shrivardhan beach. The road to Shrivardhan beach was scenic and in great shape, a pleasant contrast to NH66.

Upon reaching the beach, we noticed a red flag at the entrance, indicating that beach access was restricted. However, a walkway with benches was available for visitors to relax and enjoy the soothing sea breeze.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-125250.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-125157.jpg

We had an amazing lunch at Tavsalkar Restaurant after spending around 2 hours at the beach.

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-141527.jpg

After our lunch, we began our journey back home. While Konkan offers a vast expanse of beauty beyond Raigad and Shrivardhan, these spots remain the most accessible for people from Mumbai and Pune. Dive-Agar, one of my favorite beaches, is located just 20-30 minutes away from Shrivardhan beach. If you have some extra time, it's definitely worth exploring.

Last edited by Venky03 : 22nd June 2023 at 15:19.
Venky03 is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 18:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:46   #3
BHPian

Nice travelogue, brought back memories of Raigad drive from Pune pre covid. I think this is the only fort in Maharashtra which has the option of ropeway. No trip to Raigad is complete without tasting the customary pithla bhakri served by the locals

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-img_1976.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-img_2001.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-img_2006.jpg

Gems of Konkan: Raigad & Shrivardhan-img_2015.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:10   #4
BHPian

I had an amazing trip of Konkan around 7 yrs back. It was my first trip to Konkan and I was amazed by the beauty of it. Then I was not a part of team-bhp so I wrote the travelogue in theAutomotive website.

https://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-spark.26721/

Thank you for sharing your trip. Your trip and photos made me nostalgic and remember those beautiful memories..
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the brilliant travelogue.

While I have not visited even a single Maratha fort, I was always intrigued by the thinking behind those and the execution of the string of high set forts across the western ghats. Had I got time, I'd have worked on to make it the top tourist circuit in the world. Such a hidden string of pearls!!
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 11:18   #6
BHPian

Nice T-log, pictures and information. Can you update about the road conditions from Mumbai via NH66 in a little more detail?
Old 26th June 2023, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSO View Post
Nice T-log, pictures and information. Can you update about the road conditions from Mumbai via NH66 in a little more detail?
The road from Panvel to Karnala was concretized two weeks ago, and the remaining patches have been treated with fresh tar. Although a section of 10-15 kms before Kolad was in bad shape, it is actively being patched up and should be in good condition for the next 3-4 weeks.
Venky03 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks