Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2023, 19:36   #1

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!

This travelogue is a bit old and I just completed penning it down. For me, Diwali is the best time of the year as I get to travel home, meet my family, enjoy with my cousins and just immerse myself in the natural beauty of Kolhapur. But the Diwali of 2021 had even better plans for me as it involved a lot of travel in different modes of transport, last minute changes, great sceneries, good food and a lot more.

So basically I travelled through various states in different modes of transport.

THE PLANNING STAGE

It was just the first week of October and the preparations for Navratri had already begun in Ahmedabad. I was looking forward to having a good Diwali vacation and got my leaves approved from 30th October to 8th November. Was just about to book a flight from Ahmedabad to Kolhapur (Indigo used to offer direct flights between Ahmedabad and Kolhapur back then) when I received a call from my cousin in Pune.

He said let’s plan a short trip somewhere as it had been a long time since me, my cousin brother and my cousin sister had gone for a trip. I immediately said yes. I already had taken holidays and we had buffer time before Diwali. So we decided to go on a 2-day trip somewhere nearby Kolhapur or Pune. The dates finalized for the trip were 2nd and 3rd of November as my cousins had to Work from home on 1st November (Monday). We had to return home on 4th of November before 4 PM as it was Diwali that day and had strict instructions from our parents to be at home during Diwali.

Now we had two locations in mind, either Goa or Gokarna. We had already been to Goa before and also thought it would be crowded due to vacations. Also, Gokarna would be a better option as we could enjoy the serene beaches, clean environment, visit Murudeshwar temple, etc. So we finalized Gokarna to be our travel destination. So the initial plan was I would reach Kolhapur on 30th October (Saturday) and spend some time with my family and begin the preparations for Diwali. Meanwhile my Cousins would reach Kolhapur on the morning of 1st November, they would work from home and we would leave for Gokarna on the 2nd (Tuesday).

I immediately booked my flight from Ahmedabad to Kolhapur (Indigo Airlines) for the 30th of October. I was super excited for the trip though there was still a month to go but the twists were just about to start.

SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE

The next morning, I reached office and opened my mailbox just to know that the company had arranged a program for employees at Hotel Grand in Mumbai from 27th to 29th of October. Moreover, my company had already booked the tickets from Ahmedabad to Mumbai Central in the Double Decker train. Now I had no other option but to cancel the flight tickets and attend the company program in Mumbai. I informed my cousins about the change in plans and decided to go to Pune on 29th Oct after the program. The new plan was to spend two days in Pune then go to Kolhapur with my cousins, pick up Nexon from home and head to Gokarna. And everything was set.

AND THE JOURNEY BEGINS

DAY-1; 27TH OCT: AHMEDABAD TO MUMBAI

I had already packed my bags, pre booked a cab for 5 AM from my apartment to Ahmedabad railway Station and slept a bit early. The double decker train leaves Ahmedabad Junction at 6 am and was scheduled to reach Mumbai Central at around 1.30 pm. I’m always very excited to travel and hence woke up at 4.15 am, got ready by 4.45 am and was waiting for my cab. As I’d pre booked the cab, the cab arrived at 4.50 am. Reached Ahm Junction by 5.25 am as the roads were empty. Got into seat and the train left at dot 6 AM.

The ADI-MMCT double decker is a completely AC chair car train and the journey was extremely smooth. Opened my laptop and worked a bit, sent some urgent mails and then enjoyed the rest of the journey. Reached Mumbai Central at around 1.30 pm. Took a cab to Hotel Fariyas in Colaba which was already booked. Checked in, got freshened up and directly headed for lunch. Hotel Fariyas is very close to Gateway of India and though in a congested locality is very cozy. The lunch was very good and then we went and spent some time near the Hotel swimming pool.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat1048725324.jpg
Lunch arrangements at the Fariyas, Mumbai

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat111947127-1.jpg
Sitting by the pool

Our program was to start at 7 PM at Hotel Grand in Fort area. Hotel Grand building is architecturally very attractive. Attended the program and went back to Fariyas Hotel in Colaba. We took a stroll around the Fariyas Hotel. The Taj, Gateway of India, etc were at a walkable distance. Took a few photographs, enjoyed the night atmosphere and went back to the hotel, had dinner and called it a day.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat87093492.jpg
Taking a stroll nearby the Fariyas

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat87093492.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	2520924

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20231024_153443.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211028_185936.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20231024_162029.jpg

DAY-2; 28TH OCT: OFFICE FUNCTION IN MUMBAI

Attended Company function at The Grand Hotel, Fort. The buildings are very beautiful in the Fort Area and vehicular traffic was also very less around the hotel. The Fort area of Mumbai feels altogether different than rest of Mumbai. After the function, we decided to go to Marine Drive and Girgaon Chowpaty. Clicked a few photos and returned back to our Hotel.
Had dinner and called it a day.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20231024_162211.jpg
At Girgaon Chowpaty

DAY-3; 29TH OCT: OFFICE FUNCTION AND MUMBAI TO PUNE BY MSRTC ASHWAMEDH

We had breakfast at Hotel Fariyas, checked out and headed to Hotel Grand to attend the last day of the company function. The program wrapped up by 5 PM. We took a few group photographs and since everyone had come from different office locations from all over India, everyone left for their flights, trains, buses, etc.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat1668116991.jpg
Breakfast at the Fariyas

I had to go to Pune as decided earlier for Diwali vacations, then proceed to Kolhapur and then to Gokarna. I had booked MSRTC’s Shivneri from Dadar to Pune. I left from Fort Area, reached Dadar, had dinner and went to the Dadar’s MSRTC Shivneri bus stop just to find out that MSRTC workers had announced a strike. Still the buses were running but the station controller said he couldn’t confirm if the 9 PM’s Shiveneri which I had booked would leave. Dejected, I waited at the stop and just when I had lost all the hopes, at 9.30 PM an Ashwamedh (MSRTC’s Multi Axle Volvo) arrived. The controller said this is 9 PM’s and I was very happy as this was the first time I would be travelling by Ashwamedh as MSRTC’s app allows you to only book Shivneris and if you are lucky, you might get the Multi Axle Ashwamedh. The bus was half empty and left by 9.45 pm. The Ashwamedh was super comfy and smooth and dropped me at Aundh, Pune by 12.45 am. My cousin was already waiting for me and we went home, chatted for a while and slept.

DAY-4; 30TH OCT: SHOPPING, SPENDING LEISURE TIME

As we had slept late, woke up at around 11 AM, freshened up and directly had lunch. Then had some chit chat and slept again. In the evening we headed to FC Road and decided to have Pav Bhaji at Supreme Pav Bhaji as had heard a lot about it. Being a Saturday, it was very crowded, we had our names written down and the person said he would call us when our number would come and said it would take another 30 min. Till then, we bought some books and had pastry at The Obroma which was very good. Then we received a call from Supreme Pav Bhaji that our number had come, we went there, had Pav Bhaji and found it to be a bit overrated. We went home and called it a day.

DAY-5; 31ST OCT: MEETING FRIENDS, SHOPPING, HEADING TO KOLHAPUR BY MAHALAXMI TRAIN

I had planned to meet a friend and we decided to have Misal Pav at Bedekar Misal. The Misal was really very good, then we had lemon tea just outside, strolled for a while in Tulshi Baug and then left. Meanwhile, my cousins had already planned to have lunch at Maharaja Bhog Thali in Pavilion Mall. We headed to the mall, had lunch then we went to Westend Mall, Aundh, did some shopping, packed our bags, had dinner at home and left for Pune Railway Station. Our train was scheduled to depart for Kolhapur at 12.15 am the next day.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat272061273.jpg
Driving around Pune

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat646934181.jpg
Pavilion Mall

DAY-6; 1ST NOV: PUNE TO KOLHAPUR AND LEISURE TIME WITH FAMILY

We boarded the train (Mahalaxmi Express) and reached my hometown by around 6.30 AM. This was the first time I would be seeing the newly bought Maruti S-presso for my mom. My dad was waiting for us at the Railway Station in the S Presso. We drove home, met family, had long talks, ate wholesome Maharashtrian lunch and took an afternoon nap. I had to clean the car inside out as we were to leave for Gokarna by 5 AM the next morning. I washed and cleaned the car, then we went out for dinner, filled nitrogen in the tires and went to sleep at around 11.30 PM.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat93715315.jpg
Nexon waiting to be cleaned up

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211212_133648.jpg
Cleaned up Nexon all set for the trip
DAY-7; 2ND NOV: KOLHAPUR TO GOKARNA

We woke up early the next day, got ready by 5.15 AM, had coffee and left the house by 5.30 AM. It was still pretty dark outside. We all were really excited as it was our first only cousins trip and also it was my first long trip with the Nexon. Now we had already researched a bit and had been told that while entering Karnataka from Kolhapur, we would have to show our negative RT PCR reports and only then entry was allowed. We were ready with our reports and were asked for our reports at the Karnataka border. We showed our reports and were let to go without any fuss. We progressed steadily while maintaining speeds of around 80 kmph as we were told that there are may speed cameras along the route.

The roads in Karnataka were really good as always, but the point of focus here would be the 1.5 L Nexon Diesel. Everything feels so perfect in this car. The seating position, the ergonomics, the 1.5 litre Diesel mill, the music system, the rear seat comfort, the light steering wheel which weighs up pretty well at high speeds, etc. The only downside is the AMT gearbox. The 1.5 Litre Diesel Nexon screams for a proper AT. The straight line driving manners of Nexon are so good and covers up distances effortlessly. The 1.5 L Diesel mill, though a bit loud at high revvs, gives traction as and when required and never feels out of breath. In Sports mode, the car acts altogether different with improved throttle responses and the car holds on to a gear for much longer. The tires offer good grip and the steering is accurate with the car pointing exactly where you want it to.

The sun had begun to rise and we stopped at a good location after we crossed Belagavi to click some pics. We began driving again and were now hungry and were looking for a good location to have breakfast. But even after driving for around 20 kms, we were surprised to find no roadside dhabas. While going towards Pune from Kolhapur, you will find dhabas every 5 to 10 kms. We asked the person at the toll station and he said you will find something in around 15 more kms. We did find a roadside small outlet where we had Upma, Idli and Sheera.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211104_225532.jpg
The Sharp Nexon

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211120_115925.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211102_073810.jpg
The scenery

After having breakfast, we left for our onward journey and reached Dharwad by around 9.30 AM. From there onwards, the road converts from a 4 lane to a 2 lane as we change the directions and leave the Pune Bangalore Highway for Gokarna. The two lane roads are plush with good tarmac. In no time we entered the forest areas surrounded by trees. The view outside was so satisfying. We stopped at a few spots to click good photos. We continued our drive and reached Gokarna by around 2 PM. We followed the directions of Google Maps the entire time to reach Gokarna.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20231024_162700.jpg
Beautiful Roads

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20231024_162814.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211102_123232.jpg
The Sky

We had booked a cottage at Trippr Gokarna and had to park our car at a parking space nearby. The parking charges were Rs. 350 for two days. We reached Trippr by around 2.30 PM, checked in to our cottage, freshened up a bit and went in the shacks to have some food. Please note that at the time there was no AC facility at the Trippr (don’t know about the current status). We had Banana-Chocolate pancake which was a bit different, but good and lassi. Food was good. We decided to spend the day lazing around and in the evening we went to the beach in front of the Trippr property. We played for a bit in water and returned back to the cottage. The evening scenery from the Trippr was good.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-snapchat114243282.jpg
Banana-Chocolate Pancake and Lassi

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211102_144144.jpg
View from the Trippr Property

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211102_175408.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211102_181006.jpg
Evening time at the beach

We decided to have dinner in Gokarna town. Got ready and headed to the Gokarna town in the Nexon. Drove around for a bit and then decided to have dinner at Santrupti Restaurant near Gokarna Main Beach. The Hotel is really good and the staff is very humble. They have a variety of South Indian dishes and the taste is too good. The Rava Kesari in particular was my favorite. After dinner, headed back to Trippr, played cards and chatted for a bit in the shacks and called it a day.

We were excited for the next day as were to visit a few beaches in Gokarna, do water sports and then visit Murudeshwar Temple post lunch.

DAY-8; 3RD NOV: GOKARNA, MURUDESHWAR TEMPLE

Woke up by around 7 AM and went to the beach in front of the Trippr property as there’s nothing better than empty morning beaches. We had our breakfast at Santrupti Restaurant and then headed towards Om Beach. We were disappointed to know that the water sports were closed that day. We spent some time and played in water. The views were great. We had coconut water and left for Kudale Beach. Kudale beach had more crowd and Water sports were available there.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211103_085229.jpg
Morning at the beach infront of Trippr Property

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211103_103106.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211103_103739.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211103_112035.jpg
Beaches around Gokarna

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211103_101608.jpg

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-img_20211103_121903.jpg
We did banana ride at Kudale beach, had lunch at one of the restaurants at Kudale beach and then left for Murudeshwar. It’s around 85 kms drive and takes around 90 minutes. The road is good and frequently changes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes and back to 4 lanes (though it has been clearly marked with signages that the road ahead will covert to 2 lanes/4 lanes). We reached Murudeshwar Temple by around 4.30 pm, visited the temple. It was very peaceful. Then we went up the Gopuram in lift till the 18th Floor and the view was breathtaking.

Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!-20211104_114353.jpg
Murudeshwar Temple
After spending some time around the temple we left for Gokarna. Had dinner at Gokarna and went to sleep as we had to leave for Kolhapur the next day.

DAY-9; 4TH NOV: GOKARNA TO KOLHAPUR

Again we woke up at 6 AM took a stroll around the peaceful beach as in a few days after Diwali vacation we would have to return to our offices and the same concrete jungles. We checked out, had breakfast and left by around 8 AM. Reached Dharwad by around 12.15 PM. Took Dharwadi Pedhas for the folks back home, had lunch and left for Kolhapur. We did not stop for any photos as we had to reach home before the Diwali Pooja. We reached Kolhapur by 4 PM.

Even after a continuous drive of around 350 kms, the Nexon never felt tiring for the driver as well the passengers alike. Its truly a great highway king. The MID displayed a Fuel Economy of 19.2 kmpl with AC ON the entire time. All in all it was a great and refreshing short trip.

So this was my travelogue covering 3 states (Gujarat, Maharashtra and Karnataka) and 7 different places (Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune, Kolhapur, Gokarna, Murudeshwar, Dharwad) and 3 different modes of transport (Train, Bus and Car).

To summarize travelogue:
Day-1 : Ahmedabad to Mumbai in ADI – MMCT Double Decker Train, Stay in Mumbai (Wed)
Day-2 : Stay in Mumbai for Company Function (Thursday)
Day-3 : Attending Company Function -> Mumbai to Pune in MSRTC’s Shivneri (Friday)
Day-4 : Stay in Pune, Shopping, meeting old friends (Saturday)
Day-5 : Roamed around Pune -> Pune to Kolhapur in Mahalaxmi Express (Sunday)
Day-6 : Stay in Kolhapur -> Met family -> Washed the car -> Got the car ready (Monday)
Day-7 : Kolhapur – Gokarna in TATA Nexon Diesel AMT, Stay in Gokarna (Tuesday)
Day-8 : Explore Gokarna, Murudeshwar, Stay in Gokarna (Wednesday)
Day-9 : Gokarna – Kolhapur (Thursday)
veeroom is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 09:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ahmedabad to Gokarna: Not your regular kind of road-trip!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks