Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 08:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Great going, Shreesh. I was on the phone yday with Ram and incidentally asked him abt your progress before I saw this thread now! All the best and keep those photos clicking.
Old 8th November 2007, 08:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Great going, Shreesh. I was on the phone yday with Ram and incidentally asked him abt your progress before I saw this thread now! All the best and keep those photos clicking.
Thanks, I'm pretty relieved to have the Dempster behind me. It was beautiful, but nerve racking!

Coming back to Whitehorse, YT feels like entering a massive metropolis!
Old 10th November 2007, 11:14   #18

The challenge of the Dempster is now over. Here is one last Dempster picture with the FJ in the foreground:

Now our attention turns to the Cassiar Highway that runs south from Watson Lake. It is supposed to be spectacular but so far it it has not matched the Dempster as far as winter scenery is concerned. But it still provides this lovely view of Dease Creek:

Old 21st December 2007, 06:51   #19

Well, things had been quiet here in Kelly, WY while we studied for our EMT, when a large 1000+ pound bull Elk decided to get friendly with the FJC. He was flipped over the roof and killed on the spot, steam rising from his corpse.

Incredibly, my wife and I not only survived the encounter but came out unscathed. The car is currently at Teton Motors in Jackson, WY being fixed. In the meantime we are staying at our friend's guest house and looking forward to skiing Jackson Hole. Getting stuck does have its plus points!

Old 21st December 2007, 11:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Great Account

Hai Shreesh,Great reading your accout and living pictures. Pl. keep them coming and the account running.........Happy Driving,--Ramky
Old 21st December 2007, 21:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreesh View Post
Glad to know u guys are safe ! Hope the FJ's frame is ok!
Old 23rd December 2007, 07:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
Glad to know u guys are safe ! Hope the FJ's frame is ok!
I was just over at the shop the other day and the frame is fine. The only matter of concern is the part of the A-pillar where the windshield mounts was slightly bent - they've bent it back but I hope that I won't get stress fractures in the future. Since this location is so remote they are having trouble getting parts, hence the delay
Old 15th January 2008, 21:34   #23

After six weeks in the body shop the FJ is finally ready to roll!!!

All-in all the Elk encounter did not set us back too much. In the next few days we hope to cross the border int Baja, about a week to ten days behind our planned schedule.
Old 19th January 2008, 10:06   #24

We crossed the border at Tijuana this morning are are now in Baja! It was the strangest border I have ever crossed - no one asked us for any paperwork or what we may be carrying. Even in Canada the wanted to at least know my name...

I could have easily smuggled across some fissile material :rocket:

Anyway the "easy" crossing have come with its headaches - I did not get a temporary import permit - which in typical Mexican fashion is only available in Tijuana. Hopefully I can pick one up in La Paz when we ferry the car over to the mainland...

In the meantime, there is not much to do in Ensenada, except watch sunsets

Been seeing TONS of FJs here in Mexico - there is one of the tan colored here at the hotel we're at.
Old 25th January 2008, 20:11   #25

First Elk, now this!

The winds in Baja blew these branches down onto the FJC. Luckily they were pretty light, but unfortunately scratched the s-- out of the hood. C'est la guerre...

Old 14th February 2008, 05:03   #26

We are currently on a mini-break here in Oaxaca to study Spanish. Hopefully after our month long immersive course we'll be able to make heads or tails of this language.

Taking a break from our break, we got a chance to see the ruins of Monte Alban close to the city.

Old 14th February 2008, 11:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great pics dude. Glad that yoy are having fun. Drive safe. Tc
Old 9th May 2008, 08:55   #28

Hello all,

I stopped posting to Team-BHP because I was having trouble seeing my images. I normally FTP the images to my web server and post a link to the image on the Team-BHP forum post, but for some reason that had stopped working...

Anyway, a quick summary. After making out way through Mexico we crossed into Belize, a very laid-back country. Then on to Guatemala and then Honduras, where we are now...

Today I have a nice picture from Guatemala to share with you. It shows a lava flow that we camped close to. Hopefully it will show up correctly in the post!

Old 9th May 2008, 14:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Oh Man! This pic beats all the others. Great pics and nice travelogue there Shireesh. BTW, the shot above seems to be close by your camp and how was the feeling (dummy me ..i know its scary but just wanted you to describe as a first hand account)
Old 9th May 2008, 18:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Oh Man! This pic beats all the others. Great pics and nice travelogue there Shireesh. BTW, the shot above seems to be close by your camp and how was the feeling (dummy me ..i know its scary but just wanted you to describe as a first hand account)
It was more hot than scary. The lava on Volan Pacaya flows very slowly, kind of like a pudding. You can relax close to the flow and be assured that you can out run it if it comes your way. That being said Volcanes are unpredictable and care should be exercised when visiting them.

The greatest danger is slipping and falling on the uneven ground - the newly formed rock is very sharp!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks