Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - weekend drives (informations and tips)

Hi!

I'm starting this thread to put together actual driving experiences of Team-bhpians, so we can all share information about routes, pitstops, road conditions etc,.

To start with lets do weekend drives - upto 150kms / 4 to 5hrs round trips.

DEVARAYANADURGA, SIDDAGANGA, Madhugiri fort:

Last weekend I tried Devarayana Durga hill temple on Tumkur road. Its about 50kms one way from Bangalore.

A good drive once you clear the Yeshwantpur-->Nelamangala truck traffic. This forms a part of the golden quadrilateral, but surprisingly has quite a few diversions between Dobaspet and Tumkur.

to get to Devarayanadurga, there are two approaches. A right turn off NH4, at Dobaspet. 20kms to Devarayanadurga. this road is being laid, and is currently a off-roaders paradise. Awsome! No road upto 15kms, after which a good tarmac opens up to give some respite. The short drive up the hill is a good drive. with some really big boulders shouldering the road.

The other approach is another 5 to 7 kms after dobaspet, and is a much better and motorable road. Take this road for the next 6 to 8 months.
There is a deer park midway as a bonus.

Madhugiri is about 50km from dobaspet. Did not try this as yet.

Enjoy your motoring!!
Old 20th November 2007, 15:54   #2
BHPian

lepakshi: Distance 125 kms

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
and another(better) account by akroy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
Old 20th November 2007, 15:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think there was a thread sometime back...Anyways

1) Krishnagiri Dam - 110 km (1.5 hour drive)
Blr - Hosur - Kgiri (a few kms after Kgiri flyover there is a right turn from NH7 with a arch immediately after the lake where water activites take place

2) Lepakshi - 125km (2 hour drive)
Blr - Hebbal - Chikballapur - Bagepalli - Lepakshi, search in the forum for travelogues

3) Yelagiri Hills - 175km
4) Big Banyan Tree
5) Horseley Hills
6) Nandi Hills

Most of these places are discussed in the forum, pls search or else PM me whenever you plan to go

Abhi
Old 20th November 2007, 17:06   #4
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

I'm starting this thread to put together actual driving experiences of Team-bhpians, so we can all share information about routes, pitstops, road conditions etc,.

To start with lets do weekend drives - upto 150kms / 4 to 5hrs round trips.

Madhugiri is about 50km from dobaspet. Did not try this as yet.
Am a bit confused with this thread, is this thread to put up about the drives already done by members for others information or are you asking for places for the meets to be organized ???

You say this thread is to put together actual driving experiences of Team-bhpians and again you are saying To start with lets do weekend drives...
Old 20th November 2007, 17:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

The thread is about sharing your experiences of good weekend drives from bangalore.
Old 20th November 2007, 18:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The thread is about sharing your experiences of good weekend drives from bangalore.
This clears the air. Its a good idea but, i think most of the weekend drives from Bangalore are already covered. Do search in archives
Old 20th November 2007, 18:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Manchinbele Dam / Reservoir

Yep , thats the name of the place , whats to see there - a dam and its catchment area.

Its a two hour drive at the maximum at a very very leisurely pace.

You can drive straight down to the edge of the water .There is not much of the usual holidaying tourist crowd but its calm and quiet. Its about 50 Kms from Marathalli , Via Ring Road , and then Mysore road. As you drive past the turn off to the Big Banyan Tree on Mysore Road, you hit a pedestrian skyway over the Mysore road ( again after the turn off to Kengeri). go beyond this and keep your eyes peeled . for a newly tarred road on the opposite side of the road , when you are driving towards Mysore.

Take the next u turn and hit the newly road , the drive on this newly laid road is a breeze and clam, with the occasional tipper trucks passing by.Keep an eye out for the unmarked humps especially when nearing a cluster of houses. When you hit a dead end about 10 Kms downs the road turn right and the next 2 kms is absolute shambles so cars with low GC , take care. Then you hit a junction with good roads again take the left from the junction and another 5 KMS drive will bring you in sight of the dam . From there just follow the signage and then you will be on the road skirting the catchment area of the dam. Drive along and you will reach a village , ask around and they will guide you to the waters edge.

Be warned that the place is not really what i would call safe after sunset and there is only one food joint and , if you have a sensitive stomach i would recommend that you stay off this place.

What i like about this place is the calm , serenity and the beauty of the place. Some pictures take during the drive are posted below .

Old 20th November 2007, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

I still fail to understand this

Quote:
Thats why there is something called the Travelogues section and most of the places have been covered by our resident weekend travelers with distances too.
Old 20th November 2007, 19:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I still fail to understand this

Thats why there is something called the Travelogues section and most of the places have been covered by our resident weekend travelers with distances too.
I agree with you Riju totally on this. Searching the Travelogue section and PMs woks better.

Abhi
Old 20th November 2007, 21:02   #10
BANNED

Though I am not from b'lore, I certainly will appreciate a thread which mentions all places which can be done covered in a 4-5 hour trip from a location. Especially if I am new to a city.
It is really not easy to parse a thread titled "Bangy to X - experiences" to ascertain if it could be done in a day or not. Remembefr that not evey body follows the same format while posting travelouges.
Old 20th November 2007, 21:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Though I am not from b'lore, I certainly will appreciate a thread which mentions all places which can be done covered in a 4-5 hour trip from a location. Especially if I am new to a city.
It is really not easy to parse a thread titled "Bangy to X - experiences" to ascertain if it could be done in a day or not. Remembefr that not evey body follows the same format while posting travelouges.
Only for Bangalore:
I have a spreadsheet which mentions all place within 5 -6 hrs drive from Bangalore with all relevant info. If you send me your mail Id I can send it to you.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2007, 12:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Greatdrive, I hope its not covered in this, anyways, you can add your sheet to this and repost, everyone can download it then.

I collated the common ones for travelling around Bangalore

- 35 km from Bangalore, at Hesaraghatta, is the famous Nritya Gram, a centre for dance that imparts extensive training in seven dance disciplines and two martial art forms, to residential students. The village is rustic in design, and blends with the bucolic surroundings. The Hesaraghatta Lake, a man - made lake, near the village is also a popular tourist spot.

- Just 21 kilometers from the city, and easily accessible by road is the Bannerghatta National Park. A part of the Bannerghatta forest, the Park houses a mini zoo, a crocodile farm, lion and tiger safari parks.

- Situated 60 km from Bangalore, at a height of 1478 meters above sea level, is the Nandi Hills resort. What used to be the favourite summer getaway of Tipu Sultan, is now a popular picnic spot with its awesome fort, sprawling lawns and two ancient temples.

- A little away from the city is Ramohali, a picturesque picnic spot, that boasts of a 400 year old banyan tree, that spreads for over 4 acres. It is believed to be the site of sage Muneshwara's penance.

- The region around Bangalore is dotted with gigantic rock formations, the two notable amongst them being Shivaganga (4599 ft.high) and Savandurga. The latter used to be a fortress and the hideout of Kempe Gowda.

Last edited by dadu : 21st November 2007 at 13:01.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:05   #13

Hi GreatDrive,

Please send me the spreadsheet with the info, i have been searching every where to find some list of this kind.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Only for Bangalore:
I have a spreadsheet which mentions all place within 5 -6 hrs drive from Bangalore with all relevant info.
Even I do have the spreadsheet where in it is extensively covered the places in and around bangalore+movie theaters+resturants+clubs etc etc. It has a good infm avlbl. If anybody needs it, pm me will send it.
Old 21st November 2007, 15:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Okay, Greatdrive and Snaronikar please use rapidshare.com and post a link of both your version here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks