Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 19:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sad to note your story. Good to know nobody was physically hurt. But 1L is way too high. BTW, what all the parts that have gone and did you try for claiming insuance ?
Old 18th February 2008, 20:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear about this. there is nothing worse than a plan getting canceled due to an accident to the vehicle!

hope you get your ride back!

as said earlier, in highway always drive in high beam, unless there is a vehicle in front of you. driving at speed on a highway on low beam is a major no-no. but, advices after a incident is not even worth the bandwidth its on!

did you take any photos? it would be worth while if you can check with the law as to what as your options; provided you have the time and will to do it.
Old 18th February 2008, 23:06   #18
himanshurulz

its very sad to hear about this....
hope u get your ride back soon

Old 19th February 2008, 00:26   #19
BHPian

Kumar,
It is really sad what happend to your car. I was also the victim twice on this highway, of course, not this expensive. Twice hit two big rocks, but was able steer away so that the tire hits the rock, and was saved except the bend in rim and alignment change. Replaceed rear axle the second time due to a bend caused due to the rocks on this highway.
Old 19th February 2008, 11:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Why look at highway alone?

I was on the flyover which lands onto Old Madras Road and there is a curve in the flyover so as to land onto OMR. I am on my way back from one of the TBHP meets at Nandi Hills. Just as i complete this curve on the flyover, i hear a loud thud sound and i am shocked. Go a little further, get off the flyover, and stop to check the underbody of my car. Realize that some moron had left behind a large stone on the road after stopping to repair their broken down vehicle. Owing to the curve , i hadnt seen the stone on the road, and my car had gone over it, whereby the stone was thrown onto my car's underbody.

Thankfully there was no damage to the car, save for the scare which it gave me.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Always drive on high beam? So the guy driving towards you will hit something because you're blinding him!

But fog lights, because they cast a bright light downwards, might have given a few moments extra warning.

But hey! I just have to admit that I don't have much experience outside the city roads, and no night-time highway experience...
Old 19th February 2008, 12:59   #22
BHPian

Hi...well...I suppose the insurance company pays up for the damages...don't they??
Old 19th February 2008, 13:21   #23
BHPian

Request you to always keep high beam on highways, it is really essential. Whenever there is oncoming traffic, use dipper, dip to low beam and again back to high beam when the vehicle is passed by.

Abhi[/quote]

I fully agree to this.This is the ideal night driving mode in Highways.
Old 19th February 2008, 16:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whenever there is oncoming traffic, use dipper, dip to low beam and again back to high beam when the vehicle is passed by.
Yes: exactly correct.
Old 26th February 2008, 02:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

feels bad to hear about this, well this is India and they have a very very long way to go to keep these kind of things from happening, you see even in the latest road widening programs if they find rocks to the sides the contractor need to engage a driller tractor so that part is let the way it is till all the other things are finished,

the example i am referring to is mehidipatnam and vikarabad road widening, where they have widened the road, put in dividers but are yet to level the rocks/boulders to the sides which can total any car! and its at this particular turning that there are umteen number of accidents, the valves factory we encounter after crossing police academy there is a hair pin bend turn, and exactly in that turn there are these boulder if one keeps to the left in this turning then he will have a heavenly kiss with this boulder its such that its visible only after the turn is made and first timers have had many kisses, and its yet to be removed! such sad state man sad indeed! i am mentioning this as its my every day college route!

Last edited by rider60 : 26th February 2008 at 02:40.
Old 29th February 2008, 23:26   #26
BHPian

Got the car fixed

I finally got my fully fixed car after a 2 week wait.
Total bill was 93k out of which 69k was paid by insurance. The major damages included front suspension system (40k) and other body related repair of roughly 20k or so. The car is running really good after all this costly mess.

And yes i am getting my ride back, will be travelling to hyderabad and then all the way upto nagpur this time. Once a driver always a driver. No change in passion or spirit.

Thanks for all your advice and concern.
Old 1st March 2008, 09:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

good to see your ride back kumar and damn that was quite a lot of damage control done. Do drive safely and have a great cruise all the way to nagpur.
Old 1st March 2008, 10:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for getting your babe back ship-shape. And congrats for losing your fervour for driving.
24 K is quite an amount to shell out, but at least you got 69 K.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:07   #29
rks
BANNED

Bad experience. This nightmare scenario is always on my mind whenever I drive. As noted, use high beam whenever possible, especially when driving at some speed.

And the most important tip is to beware when following another vehicle, especially a heavy vehicle. I had this experience of following a mini-truck in a rented M800. Just started out of B'lore, on the way to Nandi Hills and at about 50-60 kmph following the truck, looking to overtake. The truck straddles a *big* stone bang in the middle of the road, and I am left high and dry. Had to pull off a desperate braking effort to avoid hitting the stone. Luckily the M800 was brand new. So always try to stagger your vehicle when following others, so that you get some visibility.

On another occasion in Pune, a dumper working on the divider sprayed a moderately big stone right into my Santro's path, when doing about 40 kmph. Swerved to left, but right front tyre hit the stone and there was a sickening thud. Luckily no damage. Here the moral of the story is to try to stick to the middle of the road whenever possible.
Old 2nd March 2008, 04:23   #30
BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident. I was in similar situation few months back. I too was in ford car and paid the same amount for the damage. Its good that the car is running fine now. I think in my case it was a mistake done by some lorry/tractor guy who kept the rock on the road after changing the tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks