Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 18:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Idukki-kerala's best driving roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Hello Folks. Did anyone travel this route recently? I am planning a trip in the end of May/First week of June..!! The overhead shot of the s curve in the previous page looks stunning. Could someone tell me how are the road conditions between ernakulam and munnar ? Any info would be of great help.
Road conditions are good. After Pallivasal till Munnar was bad when I went in february. Have a blast
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 18:30   #92
BHPian

@ Slalom - Awesome pics the roads are too enticing.
@ Soccerfan - Thanks. The plan as of now is to start by june first week. Will post a writeup once the trip is complete.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:27   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
The plan as of now is to start by june first week. Will post a writeup once the trip is complete.
Just for info - June is when the monsoon is supposed to start. Once it starts, it should be pouring without much breaks and the sun will play hide and seek. I love the monsoons much, but then it will be a different air altogether with dim lighting throughout the day. Some souls get damped easily and prefer the sun out at all times.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:34   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan

Road conditions are good. After Pallivasal till Munnar was bad when I went in february. Have a blast
Pallivasal to munnar is patched up though bumpy when I visited last month. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.
DieselLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 00:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

Few threads bring up as many memories as those of the Cochin D R I V Es.

Ripper may be "awaiting email confirmation" and Zak banned, but we made some great friends here, did some crazy drives on the spur of the moment and shared some truly magical moments.

Whoever dragged this thread up again, thank you very much.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 10:53   #96
BHPian

I think we can add the road from Kaduthuruthi to Pala also in this list. Great curves, uphill, downhill. A bit narrow but an awesome drive
Old 8th May 2012, 23:40   #97
BHPian

Yep. Kaduthuruthi to Pala - One of my favourite routes. Real nice and beautiful roads.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Re: finest driving route in kerala

I have read in the same thread that Tvm-Thenmala route is very scenic. Can anyone confirm whether the present condition of this road is good?

Especially the part marked in the map below:
Name:  thenmala.png
Views: 14942
Size:  149.6 KB

I am planning for a lone drive this weekend through this route.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:36   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have read in the same thread that Tvm-Thenmala route is very scenic. Can anyone confirm whether the present condition of this road is good?

Attachment 934443

Hi Clevermax,
I can partially help on that route. TVM-nedumangad ~21 Km is not the best road, but very drivable with some pot holes. Some work was underway when I left home early this month (6th of May). From Anad (5kms from nedumangad) till Palode is very good road. I hear the rest is good as well, but not personally sure. This was recently re-tarred by KSTP. So excellent till monsoon. The rest I am not very sure of. Sorry
regards
Hari

Last edited by 999 : 31st May 2012 at 14:39. Reason: typo
999 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:07   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Attachment 934443

I did this route back in January 2012 - on Makaravilakku day. I went from Trivandrum to Kulathupuzha temple in my Santro

As mentioned by 999 the raod from Perurkkada to Nedumagadu was so so with some good a bad strtches. But the road afterwards up to Kulathupuzha was really nice and the condition was a surprise to me.

Up to Kulathupuzha its 64 KM and trip up I did in 1 hour 10 mnts (leave Kawdiar pump at 5.00 am and I was at the temple gates exactly at 6.10 am). Coming back it took 1 hour 30 minutes (left at 7.45 am) basically due to bad traffic from the outskirts of TVM.

A bit of trivia - The Road from Trivadrum to Shenkottai (same road we are talikg about) it was built/rehabilitated as a concrete road during the tenure of the infamous Prime Minister of Travancore Kigdom - Sir CPR. The alignment and the bankings of the road was so designed to facilitate high speed travel by Sir CPR so that he can reach Shekottai in 1 hour from TVM and Catch the Quilon - Madaras Train at Shenkottai station (in those days before Train service still had not been extended to TVM).

Its indeed one of most scenic routes in the state and most of the road is still covered with the green canopy of various trees.

This is one of my favourite routes in Kerala. In late 1970s and eraly 1980s I used to make a monthly visit to my cousin who used to live in Thenkasi, just as an excuse to ride on this road on my Lambretta, Yezdi, Roadking, and finally the Rajdoot RD 350.

After 1989 my first trip down the route was in January 2012.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 31st May 2012 at 16:12.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Hi Clevermax,
I can partially help on that route. TVM-nedumangad ~21 Km is not the best road, but very drivable with some pot holes. Some work was underway when I left home early this month (6th of May). From Anad (5kms from nedumangad) till Palode is very good road. I hear the rest is good as well, but not personally sure. This was recently re-tarred by KSTP. So excellent till monsoon. The rest I am not very sure of. Sorry
regards
Hari
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I did this route back in January 2012 - on Makaravilakku day. I went from Trivandrum to Kulathupuzha temple in my Santro
As mentioned by 999 the raod from Perurkkad to Nedumagadu was so so with some good a bad strtches. But the road afterwards up to Kulathupuzha was really nice and the cindition was a surprise to me.
Thanks 999 and r_nairtvm! I am all set to drive this road this weekend I usually go to my parent's place near Karunagapally either through Kottiyam-Kundara-Bharanikavu or via MC road till Kottarakkara and then via Puthoor. I am very bored with both thee routes and felt like trying a different route even though it is way longer than the other two. Will be driving my Punto MJD.

Last edited by clevermax : 31st May 2012 at 16:17.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:26   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Anybody has tried the road from Kumarakom to Vaikom? How is the condition of this road now? I am planning a drive from Kottayam to Ernakulam and looking for alternate routes from the regular Ettumanur > T'parambu > Kanjiramattom route.
Option 1. Kottayam-Kumarakom- Cherthala-Aroor-Ernakulam
Option 2. Kottayam-Kaduthuruthy-Vaikom-Ferry to Thavanakadavu-Continue on state highway to Aroor junction via Thykattussery (excellent road)
Option 3. Kottayam- Changanacherry-Alappuzha-Ernakulam

Shortest route is the first one. Scenic routes are 2 & 3.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

I just drove to ponmudi and back, and on a weekday, the roads are fabulous upto nedumangad, especially on the way back. You dont even have to touch the accelerator and its downhill and curves all the way ! MC road was also decent upto kottayam
Old 7th June 2012, 06:29   #104
BHPian

Re: Idukki-Kerala's best driving roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Pallivasal to munnar is patched up though bumpy when I visited last month. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.
As you've mentioned the roads are patched up and though i didn't know from which stretch I just know that they are for about 15 kms before munnar. I did this trip to munnar on 28th May 2012.
Moreover the road conditions are better known and defined by a cyclist and now you know how I went from Ernakulam to Munnar. Roads from Ernakulam to Muvatupuzha are great, winding and butter smooth. However there is quite a bit of traffic. Then the traffic becomes sparse and you have more scenery to enjoy via kothamangalam and neriyamangalam. At neriyamangalam there is a bridge after which the climb to munnar starts and i think munnar is about 60kms at this point.

Last edited by lancersfx : 7th June 2012 at 06:30. Reason: added date.
lancersfx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks