Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 10:21   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'd done the munnar-bodi-theni route at around 1 o clock at night earlier this year. didnt see any wildlife. its all a matter of luck really. Fog is very likely

I think, I'm going on an idukki drive this sunday. its been a while.
Rippergo, thats nice, please do let me know about the latest conditions of this road, would you be having some information on the distance from thodupuzha to Trichy via this route and thanks for the reply.
Old 29th August 2009, 11:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'd done the munnar-bodi-theni route at around 1 o clock at night earlier this year. didnt see any wildlife. its all a matter of luck really. Fog is very likely

I think, I'm going on an idukki drive this sunday. its been a while.
Rippergo, thats nice, please do let me know about the latest conditions of this road, would you be having some information on the distance from thodupuzha to Trichy via this route and thanks for the reply.
Old 8th October 2009, 01:11   #63
BHPian

I am planning a visit to Idukki District next month. dear fellow travellers can you privide informations on Places to stay in different part of Idukki with contact numbers. I am planning a landscape painting trip for two weeks.
Old 8th October 2009, 07:18   #64
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Sorry for the late reply. did not realise there was a query about this route. Anyways-I dont have info on the bodi-theni route with regards to distance. and I have not been on that road for over 9 months. please wait for more up-to-date data.
I have been planning and planning, but am unable to get out for a full 2-3 days of driving. hopefully will happen soon. if it does, I shall update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
I am planning a visit to Idukki District next month. dear fellow travellers can you privide informations on Places to stay in different part of Idukki with contact numbers. I am planning a landscape painting trip for two weeks.
Finding places to stay in wagamon and kuttikanam should not be a problem. resorts dot the entire area. munnar is also full of resorts in all price ranges.
idukki(the administrative center of the namesake district) itself has sparse accomodation facilities. but not impossible to find.
The KTDC website should be a good place to start.

Old 8th October 2009, 09:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Having driven recently to Idukki from bangy I can vouch for the fact that this place has some of the best roads down south. You can take a peek at my travelogue here (Travelogue : Scaling Vagamon and its heights) and trust me the beauty of this place and what it has to offer is unparalleled .
Old 8th October 2009, 09:45   #66
Team-BHP Support

Got the chance to drive on some of the roads in Idukki, and they were BEAUTIFUL !
I must say i thoroughly enjoyed the drive.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:50   #67
BHPian

Looks like they're not using the "environment friendly", "Water Soluble Tar" like in Bangalore.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Looks like they're not using the "environment friendly", "Water Soluble Tar" like in Bangalore.
That is a good one .

Kerala roads though narrow compared to other states are found to last long and with less pot holes that too with the very havy rainfalls in the state.

Waiting for the long w/e to pack the bags for a Bglr - Kuttikanam trip
Old 8th October 2009, 10:58   #69
BHPian

Ripperego, rjstyles 99, thanks for the information, rj would defenitely go through the thread. Sorry i wasnt able to make the trip planning for the same in the month of December.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

By meaning "Kerala's best driving roads" ,Are You People Meant Thodupuzha-Puliyanmala state Highway?

Last edited by deepclutch : 8th October 2009 at 11:59.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:26   #71
h.k
BHPian

finest driving route in kerala

As a part of my catering contract works I do visit most of the location and as I enjoy driving most of the times I am self driven.
And in past 5 years I have traveled through the length and breadth of kerala and I have found that the finest, safest and the most exiting driving route in kerala is the one from kochi to thekkady.
Why I say so is because
A) well tarred roads
B) through the rubber plantations
C) excellent corners and full of high and low plains
D) very low traffic
E) can judge the road well ahead
F) safest to drive
There are not many roads that is half as exiting to drive like this one. And a car with a 100+ bhp on, the fun just gets better.
The route is as follows
Ernakulam take kottayam route but do not travel to kottayam
Ernakulam to vaikom to thalayolaparambu to kadathuruthy
From kadathuruthy junction take a left to pala
Kadathuruthy is the most important junction to take a turn if you want to have fun driving
From pala to ponkunnam
From ponkunnam to kanjirapally
And kanjirapally to thekkady.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

I am not quite sure the first stretch of Ernakulam to Vaikom fits the bill for the finest drives in Kerala, rest as you rightly said is a drivers delight
Old 5th July 2010, 11:59   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am not quite sure the first stretch of Ernakulam to Vaikom fits the bill for the finest drives in Kerala, rest as you rightly said is a drivers delight

True; in fact, Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu is a 4x4 delight err... challenge. "Japan Kudivella Padhathi" - do I need say more?

The lesser evil would be Thrippunithura > Nadakkav (take left) > Mulanthuruthy > Kanjiramattom > Thalayolaparambu (left at the junction with a statute).

Or Thrippunithura > S. Paravur > Kanjiramattom. (The LS bus route).

Feeling still more adventurous? Take the other road from Mulanthuruthy junction to reach Pala via Piravom.

Yes, From Kanjirapally, it is serene all the way to Kumily.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:04   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that this is a good road to drive, but would not agree on the low traffic part unless u r driving in early mornings or late nights! otherwise Kanjirappally - Thekkady strectch is a pain to drive during normal hours! [if you are looking at 40-50kmph speed, this doesnt stand good!]

And you need more spice to it, take the Kanjirappally - Erattupetta - Pala route instead of Kanjirappally - Ponkunnam - Pala route. The roads are better & more curvy with much more greenery!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th July 2010 at 12:06.
Old 8th July 2010, 22:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
"Japan Kudivella Padhathi" - do I need say more?
Curious. I dont know Malayalam. Is this to do with roads being dug up for water pipes using Japanese grants! Forgive me!

I love Kerala. Being based in Bangalore, I have had wonderful holidays in Kerala. One of my most memorable drives through Kerala was my drive to Munnar. My route was something like Bangalore > Mysore > Nanjangud > Masinagudi > Ooty (halt for night) > Coonoor > Mettupalyem > Coimbatore > Pollachi > Udumalpettai > Chinnar > Munnar

Here the part I really liked was the scenic drive once I crossed the Indira Gandhi reserve into the tea estates...it was amazing winding from one mountain to the other passing small waterfalls along the way. It was in Sep 2009. I plan to go that way again in October this year...if I can. This time I will try via Dharmapuri Mettur and on to Kerala...any suggestions on scenic drives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks