Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 09:54   #1
BHPian

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan

Hello everyone,
I do a lot of travelling and most of them exploring Maharashtra, I have been to every known places and all my travel experince are well documented. This trip though I have done in the month of May this year, would like to share with all of you. I have read most of the traveloques on this site but none on konkan

Mumbai-Oros-Vengurla-Sawantwadi-Malvan-Devgad-Kunkeshwar-Mithbav beach-Gananbavada ghat –Kolhapur- Mumbai
Trip Date – 10/05/08 – 17/05/08
Total KM -1500
This trip was planed one month before, the trip was for 2 days visiting all the temples in Malvan, but then I wanted to explore Malvan and that’s how we extended our trip for a week.
So here is my review:
A lot of planning was done before this trip, got the road map of Malvan, and made a detail study of the roads and places that we need to visit. Got my car serviced as this was going to be a long trip. Then the D-Day arrived.
Day – 01
We left Mumbai on 10th -May-08 at 7.00 AM and was on NH-17, made a halt at Kamat’s for breakfast, the time was 9.30 AM. I kept a steady speed around 80 km/hr, our aim was to reach Sangmeshwar for lunch. The drive through NH-17 was a pleasure, soon we passed Poladpur and were on Kashedi ghat, we took a brief halt on the ghat, there were a mango trees along the road and we did manage to tug down some for us to eat. We were 5 of us in my Zen. After some nice mango treat and some snaps we made our way to Chiplun. By this time it was 2.00PM and Sangmeshwar was quite far, so I had to step up on gas. The roads were very very good to drive with almost no pot holes , I reached Sangmeshwar by 3.30PM , had our lunch at hotel Highway, the hotel is slightly on hill and you get a very nice view of the road below, in rains view is very fantastic there. Since it was hot day, we made our self comfortable in the AC hall and ordered nice Malvani thali. Solkadi there is fantastic; we also took some in our bottle to drink.
We called our relative at Oros and gave our whereabouts and when we would be reaching, since I have been driving quite steadily there was need to speed up things as we may not reach before sunset. My wife, mom, dad, and my mavshi all were fast asleep after a great lunch, its only I was awake and driving. Things were getting interesting once we crossed Ratnagiri. We took a halt for some tea at Lanja and then the fun began, the road from ratnagiri was all ghat section, ups and down, you really need to be alert while driving.Made some inquiry at Kankavali as to where we have to take a turn and finally made it to Oros by 8.20 PM.
Day – 02
Our day started early morning, got up, explored the bungalow and it’s surrounding. We left Oros around 8.00AM. and started towards Sawantwadi, visited Brahman Dev temple, Ramomba temple at Kochra & then Doongoba temple near Kille-Nivati. The later is situated in a dense forest. We parked our vehicles on top & walked down the rocky walkway, could see dense shrubs, prints of water channels, metal bells hanging from everywhere. It was quiet thrilling place. While returning we picked few Ratambe to eat (it’s soar fruit from which kokam sharbat is prepared). On top there was a small Konkani home where we refreshed ourselves, ate delicious Bitke Aam. (Small mangoes). Then started traveling towards Sawantwadi, around 26km from this place, reached our mavshi’s house for lunch, had good fish curry, fried fish, solkadi etc. and kalajamun as dessert, took rest for a while and then left for Vengurla, reached Sagreshwar beach, enjoyed sunset, roaring sea & relaxed on sand dunes for almost 1 ½ hr. Then left from there, had dinner at local hotel & returned to hotel Konkan Crown near Sawantwadi, where we had booking. Hotel is good, but we had some trouble as there was no hot water supply, T.V was also not working in one of our room.
Day – 03
We started towards Devgad at 9.00Am with our entire luggage, visited different temples on the way near Kandalgoan. Also took a small halt at Nerur-Par brige. It is one the most beautiful spot there, covered with many coconut trees on both sides of river. It’s really awesome. We skipped our lunch as there are no good hotels on that road. By 4.00 Pm, we were at Kunkeshwar, one of the old & famous temple of Shiva, situated on beautiful beach. By evening we were at Rameshwar temple and Gajbadevi temple at Mithbav. Gajbadevi temple is situated on the top of a hill and one can see the sprawling sea below. Cool wind & beautiful view freshened our minds. After a brief halt we started towards Malvan where we had booking at hotel Sagar Kinara. This hotel is bang on the beach and our room was facing the beach. From our room we can see the Sindhudurg fort. Overall it was very exhausting day for us.
Day – 4
We wanted to relax for some time so got up late, went for some shopping of mangos and kaju. But due to rains in some parts of Konkan there were virtually no mangoes available in the market. We then had to satisfy with kaju.
The sun was at its peak, and we had to go back to our rooms. In the evening we made it to Sindhudurg fort. A relative of mine had arranged a special ferry boat only for us.
Sindhudurg fort lies on a low island and about a mile from the Malvan’s shore, this fort is said to be a pride of Maratha glory. Today it contains the houses of few people who are descendent. The main shrine of Shivaji, Palm and footprints of great king also preserved here on a dried lime slab in a tower at the entrance of the fort.
There is nothing much to see in the fort as most of the structure has been destroyed. But the fort itself is very magnificent architectural structure. We hired a guide for about Rs100 who gave us all information. There is a temple inside which is dedicated to Shivaij were his sword has been kept. There is also a Ganapati murti made of sand. (Its worth watching), The view from the fort is very good and one can see Tarkarli, Bhogave beach from it’s top. After the fort trip we retired back to our rooms.
Day – 5
Next day in the morning we went to Tarkarli beach for a dip and swim in the water.
The beach of Tarkarli is the best I have seen of all the beaches in India. This is my second visit to the beach. Last year I had been here and stayed at MTDC cottage, it is a talcum-powder-white sand beach, giving a very soft feel. The water is deep blue as blue can be and the seabed is visible almost up to 20ft. depth - it is fabulous.
There were hardly any tourists around and the beach is still uncluttered by the unwanted commercialization that other beaches have. We went for a swim and really enjoyed it.
After the swim we went back to our rooms. Lunch was planned at relative’s place, had good non-veg food. Rest of the day we spend just relaxing.
Day -6
Next day early morning I and my wife went for a walk on Chivala beach which was about 10 min drive from our hotel. The sun was just rising and the atmosphere was really great. After a quick walk we made it back to our hotel (On chivala beach there is a big bungalow right on the beach and it belong to Shree Narayan Rane ).

That day we had planed to go to Devbag beach and have a boat ride
Devbaug beach which is 7 KM from MTDC resort ( Take right turn just as you come out of MTDC resort ), place is famous for the view of Karli river meeting the Arabian Sea. It was a wonderful site. We halted here for about 1 hour, clicked some snaps, and enjoyed the boat ride. The boating starts from ’Devbaug’ beach. It takes round of Karli backwaters, Devbaug Sangam, Dolphin View near Bhogave beach and visit an island near Bhogave beach. The charges for this trip are around Rs. 500/-. Devbag beach was gorgeous expanse of white sand blending into the azure blue of the ocean extending all the way to horizon. The beach was clean and almost deserted. The only souls on the beach were my wife and my parents. After the trilling boat ride we made our way to Kolhapur via Gaganbavada ghat. ( Last time I visited Tarkarli I went to Kolhapur via Amboli ghat ) The road was excellent through the drive, specially the ghat section. During my last drive through this rout the roads were not so good, but this time the roads were done and drive was very pleasant, we reached Kolhapur and went straight to my mama’s place. We stayed there for the night and next day in the evening at 6.00 PM we started from Kolhapur and reached Borivali at 1.00 AM .

Regards
Uday

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th September 2008 at 12:08. Reason: Extra Formatting tags removed, please do not copy paste from Word editor & if you do then remove the tags
Old 19th September 2008, 10:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

oh no. I could not read this due to the extra tags

@ Uday, next time do kindly check the post using "Preview post" and then post it please. It will help you to correct the issues.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:25   #3
BHPian

Hey uday nice write up even i frequent the konkan strip !! I have nt been to tarkarli ? the Blue water u mention that too in may when it was raining wa snt it muddy pal ??
Have you been to ganpatiphule ?? It is also one of the best places on this strip ?
Does tarkarli has other accomodations or there is only MTDC ?
Regards
SAaJan
Old 19th September 2008, 12:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Uday. But how about some pics? Do post them.
Old 19th September 2008, 14:57   #5
BHPian

Here are some of the snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0273.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0278.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0314.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0315.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0320.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0330.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0386.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0389.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0407.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0424.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0428.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0478.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0512.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0513.jpg  

Exploring Konkan - Trip to Malvan-img_0527.jpg  

Old 19th September 2008, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Nice pics. Excellent writeup.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Hey uday nice write up even i frequent the konkan strip !! I have nt been to tarkarli ? the Blue water u mention that too in may when it was raining wa snt it muddy pal ??
Have you been to ganpatiphule ?? It is also one of the best places on this strip ?
Does tarkarli has other accomodations or there is only MTDC ?
Regards
SAaJan
Yes I have been to Ganapatipule, and I do make it to go there every year. As for any accomodations at Tarkarli, yes there are but MTDC is really good and bank on the beach.
In maharashtra during May its pipe hot.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

hi uday,
nice pics and writeup.
last year at the end of may, i was in this region. i stayed at same hotel sagarkinara which is near jetty.
in sindhudurg fort, is there that branched palm tree still intact? it was damaged in last monsoon due to lightening.
had you visited unknown kodura beach which is between malwan and vengurla?
do you have pics of road leading to tarkarli from malwan? please post some pics of that road .it is lovely road lined with palm trees.
it seems that you travel lot of in this konkan area like me. i love this area and do not miss single chance to visit this area.
Old 20th September 2008, 16:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
hi uday,
nice pics and writeup.
last year at the end of may, i was in this region. i stayed at same hotel sagarkinara which is near jetty.
in sindhudurg fort, is there that branched palm tree still intact? it was damaged in last monsoon due to lightening.
had you visited unknown kodura beach which is between malwan and vengurla?
do you have pics of road leading to tarkarli from malwan? please post some pics of that road .it is lovely road lined with palm trees.
it seems that you travel lot of in this konkan area like me. i love this area and do not miss single chance to visit this area.

Yes the branched palm tree is still there and I have taken a snap of that tree which I have attached here .I have been to Vengrula but did not visit kodura beach, may be next time.
When you enter malvan you will cross ST stand, after some distance you will notice MTDC boad for tarkarli, take a left turn and just follow the sign board. At every turn there is MTDC board so you will have no problem.

Yes I always travel to konkan side and much offen during rainy season.I have been to ganapatipule, dapoli,mahad,chiplun,guhagar,hedvi,harni. I just love to be in konkan.
uday
Old 20th September 2008, 18:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
board. At every turn there is MTDC board so you will have no problem.
Yes I always travel to konkan side and much offen during rainy season.I have been to ganapatipule, dapoli,mahad,chiplun,guhagar,hedvi,harni. I just love to be in konkan.
uday
i know that road. i was at tarkarli at my last visit. do you have snap of that road?
i had visited those places mentioned in the post.
if you find some new place in konkan, pm me about that place.
Old 20th September 2008, 20:00   #11
BHPian

I stayed in heart of Konkan (Ratnagiri) for all my schooling, my parents still leave there.

I have explored all of konkan, mostly by car and bike.
We used to go once a month from Ratnagiri to Ganapatipule on foot!
Its 23 kms if you know the shortcuts in between. It involved a river crossing on foot, so we were required to monitor high tide timings and avoid it
It was always used to be an awesome trip, which used to end in good fish curry rice in Ganapatipule.

Thanks for providing such beautiful photos, its nostalgic!

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 20th September 2008 at 20:03.
Old 21st September 2008, 16:02   #12
BHPian

Hi Uday, a very nice writeup and beautiful pictures! True Konkan in all its Glory! Just got me back so many of my childhood memories. We had an ancestral house in devgad and used to go there every summer. Now most of my konkan trips are to ratnagiri, but sinshudurg district and all its towns and beaches still have an old konkan charm to it which is priceless.
I've been to these places so many times but my dream is to explore them by driving down there in my car and your travelogue has given me a lot of motivation to do that ASAP.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatoR View Post
Hi Uday, a very nice writeup and beautiful pictures! True Konkan in all its Glory! Just got me back so many of my childhood memories. We had an ancestral house in devgad and used to go there every summer. Now most of my konkan trips are to ratnagiri, but sinshudurg district and all its towns and beaches still have an old konkan charm to it which is priceless.
I've been to these places so many times but my dream is to explore them by driving down there in my car and your travelogue has given me a lot of motivation to do that ASAP.
To know Konkan you have to drive down and that too during rainy seasons, its poetry out there, My recent trip was to dapoli where we had done our booking for 2BHK banglow on top of a mountain. It was heaven with all clouds hanging low can't express in words.
I just love to drive down to konkan and explore its bueaty. My wife is from devgad.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
To know Konkan you have to drive down and that too during rainy seasons, its poetry out there,
Thats very true.
I was at karde, dapoli on 29/30 aug8 although not stayed at aryvart, but stayed at hotel kinara on karde beach. This harnai area is very beutiful.
After traveling so much in konkan, i find that,
Raigad district is bit dry in terms of flora and fauna,
Ratnagiri district has some good beaches with good hotels and resorts but has monotonic mango trees all over,
Sindhudurga distict has best beaches but very less resorts and hotels, it has versatile flora. I did not find any good restaurant to dine at vengurla but still love this place to visit again and again.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 22nd September 2008 at 11:27.
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow, nice one. Pictures are good.
Nice one and I missed it initially due to "formats". No prbs. Went through it now.

Thanks Mods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks