Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 22:46   #31
Team-BHP Support

When I went back in 2002, it was free to enter but you needed to pay to go up. Now one needs to pay to go in and it is quite expensive. Humble worshipers like me can only visit the house of god at a price !
Old 16th December 2008, 12:10   #32
BHPian

dada! fantastic pictures! i am a big fan of your pictorial skills ever since your ladakh visit

did you also visit our very own desi south hall?
its really an experience to go there ,buy jalebi ,samosa on the street and then realise its not elcho market or linking road ,its LONDON!
Old 16th December 2008, 13:23   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@Locomotive: Did you visit the Camden Town on a weekend? It's a riot of culture out there. A must see place to absorb some of the 'alternate culture' I spent quite a few weekends in camden town.

Also the portebello market is a must see, as is the artists/painters on side of Hyde park on a sunday.

I was lucky and privileged enough to stay in Central London for 3 years and absorbed almost all the sights of london on foot/tube and at times by bus also. My work place was near St. Pauls cathedral so afternoons/lunch was spent in seeing all those great places nearby.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th December 2008 at 13:24.
Old 16th December 2008, 18:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
The tube is just superb. so many lines, such a vast network and runs like clockwork most of the time. Brilliant
so true , the tube map it self looks like a mouse-cheese maze puzzle
Old 16th December 2008, 20:06   #35
BHPian

@ Locomotive : Lovely photographs , keep them coming
Old 16th December 2008, 21:02   #36
BHPian

Thanks everyone :-)

@Rajesh - south hall is truely incredible :-) Whites actually look like tourists there :-)

@Sultan - Portobello market is on my radar now. Markets never really excited me before but a visit to the covent garden market has changed all that. I would be going back for a couple of months in Feb09. I will surely visit Portobello market this time.

any suggestions on other unusual places welcome :-)

I also love the Theatre in London. what fantastic quality. Again never thought I would actually see a musical. But after seen "blood brothers" and "we will rock you" i am gunning for more :-) Now i actually prefer theatre to movies!!
Old 16th December 2008, 21:29   #37
BHPian

A must see for any tourist, the Tower Bridge.

London, UK-img_4110.jpg

The Tate Museum. This one has been taken from under the Millenium Bridge. a very long exposure shot.

London, UK-img_4649.jpg

London, UK-img_4650.jpg

from top of the millenium bridge.

London, UK-img_4657.jpg
Old 17th December 2008, 22:03   #38
BHPian

The St Paul's Cathedral from the other end of the Millenium foot bridge. what a brilliantly designed bridge. So thoughtful to have ensured that the view was this spectacular

London, UK-img_4661.jpg

London, UK-img_4666.jpg

London, UK-img_4672.jpg
Old 18th December 2008, 12:53   #39
BHPian

Photos are really awesome and the photos show that you are a true professional. Do you take photos at midnight, as I couldn't see any people in the photos.
Old 18th December 2008, 22:36   #40
BHPian

Thanks Gopinathann for your kind words :-)

this last series was indeed taken late at night. I just barely managed to catch the last train home that night.
Old 22nd December 2008, 21:45   #41
BHPian

Locomotive: Awesome night shots.
A little OT question: Which tripod are you using? Is it a mini-tripod? I have been looking for a mini-tripod that can hold my D80 with the 70-300 on it. Yet to find a decent one.
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:55   #42
BHPian

Thanks Saurab,

Most of these snaps were taken with a full length Velbon tripod with a pan and tilt head. It was probably the most low tech tripod you could lay your hands on. I got it for a gujju gift shop for some 1200 Rs. The good thing about it was that it was quite stable under steady breeze, but as a concequence a bit heavy and not so compact.

I am currently using a full length Manfrotto 785B. bought it in the UK for GBP 40. It has a ball head with a locking mechanism (my reason for buying it as i find the conventional pan/tilt head very cumbersome). It stands taller than the Velbon (about 6 feet) and when folded is more compact (about 1.5 feet) and also lighter. but the drawback is that it is not as stable under a breeze. I had a tough time using it on the millenium bridge as I had to always shield it while the shutter was open. did not think of it when i bought it.

but why do you want to buy the mini tripod. i think they are quite flimsy and your camera might prove to be too heavy for it. a normal tripod can be used when folded and so would give you a lot more flexibility.

one compact tripod i have seen that is quite good for DSLRs is called a gorrilapod!!. its got those bendy legs that you could use in a variety of ways.

check it out

Joby Gorilla Pod - Jessops
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
but why do you want to buy the mini tripod. i think they are quite flimsy and your camera might prove to be too heavy for it. a normal tripod can be used when folded and so would give you a lot more flexibility.

one compact tripod i have seen that is quite good for DSLRs is called a gorrilapod!!. its got those bendy legs that you could use in a variety of ways.

check it out

Joby Gorilla Pod - Jessops
Thanks Locomotive for the suggestion. I do have a full length tripod, but was also wanting to get a mini one, which becomes handy at times when I do not have the carry the other tripod around.

I have seen these flexpods, but yet to try them out with the camera on it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:36   #44
BHPian

I do agree that its quite a pain to lug it around with you all the time. But i have read good things about the gorrila pod.
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:58   #45
BHPian

Any London Team-BHP meets in January?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks