Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 03:32   #31
BHPian

saurabh , You have got the eye and the equipment with you. Mind blowing pics.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh, thanks for the write-up and pics. Somehow missed this thread.

Please do not stop writing travelogues, going by the number of comments. Sometimes, people may have nothing to say, that does not mean they didn't enjoy it. And you know one liners are not appreciated by the mods.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:24   #33
BHPian

Thanks Nitin, roopakr and kuttapan. Good to know that you liked the pics.

I do not intend to stop posting travelogues, as that would be too childish to do. I was just taken by surprise by the lack of comments.

Next one coming up pretty soon, once I get some time to sort the pics.
Old 29th January 2009, 09:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Thanks Null and Suidpto-da. I get your point, but these threads need some encouragement to carry on.
Buddy I don't want to demean your travelogue but I feel sharing is caring. expect nothing in return.

wonderful pics and locales.

what lens are you using? I'm still a novice when it comes to the DSLR photography. still learning it.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Buddy I don't want to demean your travelogue but I feel sharing is caring. expect nothing in return.

wonderful pics and locales.

what lens are you using? I'm still a novice when it comes to the DSLR photography. still learning it.
Thanks for your comments. Though I am in photography for the last 9 odd years (when I bought my 1st SLR - Nikon F60), I am still learning as well. With every picture, I learn something new.

The lenses I use with the D80 are : 18-135mm and 70-300mm. Both Nikkor.
Old 29th January 2009, 23:21   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Though I am in photography for the last 9 odd years (when I bought my 1st SLR - Nikon F60), I am still learning as well. With every picture, I learn something new.

The lenses I use with the D80 are : 18-135mm and 70-300mm. Both Nikkor.
I'm not even an year old, I have Nikon D60 with 18-55mm planning to have a zoom lens, how is 70-300mm and any ideas on the price?
Old 1st February 2009, 02:59   #37
BHPian

Romy, there are basically 2 versions of the 70-300mm that Nikon still manufactures:
1. 70-300mm G lens (no ED or VR)
2. 70-300mm G ED VR
3. 70-300mm D ED (no VR)

The first one, which I have, retails for about $115 while the second retails for about $470 and is by far the best 70-300. The third lens, which Nikon has stopped manufacturing, are still available with some photography stores and available for around $250.
Old 1st February 2009, 09:48   #38
Team-BHP Support

Very nice coverage Saurabh.
Just one small question. Are you by any chance having some so called UV/haze/skylight kind of filter with your lens?
Old 1st February 2009, 12:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Just one small question. Are you by any chance having some so called UV/haze/skylight kind of filter with your lens?
Sorry for Off track , I do have UV filter for my 18-55 Nikkor lens, are they good? not good?
Old 1st February 2009, 14:28   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Sorry for Off track , I do have UV filter for my 18-55 Nikkor lens, are they good? not good?
It's a debatable subject romyeo4u. I find some of Saurabh's pictures soft. It often happens due to those filter and especially with longer focal length lenses.

Also, I'm not with my own machine and seeing these images on a different monitor. So there could well be some differences.
Old 1st February 2009, 19:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics Saurabh! Keep them coming please!
Old 1st February 2009, 20:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Yes Rudra-da. I have a UV filter on my lens. Does it make the pics soft? Is it not advisable? I use the UV to protect the lens front. I did not knew that they can make the pics appear soft. If that is the case, I will remove it.

Infact, I have recently bought a Kenko MC-7 2X teleconverter. On my last trip, I was quite surprised to see that even on perfectly focused shots, the pics appear to be less sharp. I was thinking that it was due to the teleconverter, which may be true. But, I now think that the UV added to that softness.

Will look forward to your valuable advice.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Rudra-da. I have a UV filter on my lens. Does it make the pics soft? Is it not advisable? I use the UV to protect the lens front. I did not knew that they can make the pics appear soft. If that is the case, I will remove it.

Infact, I have recently bought a Kenko MC-7 2X teleconverter. On my last trip, I was quite surprised to see that even on perfectly focused shots, the pics appear to be less sharp. I was thinking that it was due to the teleconverter, which may be true. But, I now think that the UV added to that softness.

Will look forward to your valuable advice.
I think it is better to stick to a 1.4X conveter if you need to retain the quality. UV filter, or any additonal glass element is known to bring down the clarity but then it may not be so much noticable. You may need to keep cleanning the UV filter as the moisture in the air trapped tends to fog inside and make lense and the filter little hazy.
By the way, these are realy wonderful pictures taken in a real exotic looking place. Your composition skills are remarkable.
Will look forword to more of such travel-logs!
I can see that the thread is drawing good number of views but sometimes people dont tend to put down word of appreciation for whatever reasons. And yes, if it is something controversial, it draws more remarks

Last edited by Guna : 1st February 2009 at 21:15.
Old 4th February 2009, 16:50   #44
BHPian

Beautiful picto-log Saurabh. Wan't on the forum for almost a fortnight as I was a bit busy visiting a few forts, palaces and riding camels in between.

I tend to get soft pics on my 18-135. The depth of field has to be compromised to get that desired sharpness. Wide open apertures don't work too well and neither do the smaller ones. I personally found the 18-135 to have a very small aperture range for sharpness.

The timing of the 'take-off' shot was perfect. Keep the photo-logs coming..
Old 4th February 2009, 22:24   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
Beautiful picto-log Saurabh. Wan't on the forum for almost a fortnight as I was a bit busy visiting a few forts, palaces and riding camels in between....

The timing of the 'take-off' shot was perfect. Keep the photo-logs coming..
So, when are we getting a Rajasthan travelogue?

Regarding the take-off shot, some pics just happen. While following the deer, I chanced to click at the right moment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks