Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 18:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
In your pictures of yourself with the tigers, I first had a hard time figuring out where you were. The color/pattern of your shirt is soooo similar to the tigers

BTW, where is the 'Aveo' in the pictures? Can't see it any of the pictures you have posted till now!!!

Cheers,
For a change I used 'Aero' instead of 'Aveo' for a week
Old 27th February 2009, 18:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

14-Feb-2009 [Happy Valentines Day!]

Sharp 5:15am, flight wheels touches the smooth runway of the Suvarnabhumi Airport. I see my son sleeping in the next seat. Thinking if I should wake him up now or wait for the taxi to be done. Then change my mind and wake him up, show him the outside airport. Eventhough he was sleepy, the view of the airport immideately makes him fully awake with him jumping to his feet to peep into the next window.

Ha, that was one reason I want to keep away from waking him up. Anyway, I tell him, its not right time to do that and should wait for the Flight to stop completly. Reluctantly he accepts and wait for the stop.

The moment it stops, he breaks the seat belt, jumps from the seat and rush to the window. Unfortunately, the other fellow passengers were equally fast that he cant reach the window. Everybody was on thier feet.

Since we got the seat at the last, we waited for sometime to get down. We follow the Immigration & baggage claim signs. We reach the Visa on Arrival counter. Damn, it was crowded. I could see the agent from Cox & Kings holding a playcard and huge number of people who have come for a tour I guess.

Huge Suvarnabhumi Airport

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7008.jpg

I pickup the visa application, fill it in, stand in the queue. Then I suddenly realise that it has to be Local currency for visa fees. Go to the nearest Exchange, change the dollars and back to the queue. If it had been India, I would have re-joined the queue in same place, but its a FOREIGN land, so just join the queue again at the end. Hehehe...

Here we need to submit the Application form and get a token. This desk is to make the process faster. They just collect the applicaiton, make sure you had you picture and details right and accept the fees. Then it is taken to the main place where the people sitting in front of the computer, key in the details and put the visa stamp in the passport and hand it to you.

I submit the application and get the token number. Then we need to wait in the hall till you are called for that token number. That took about 20min.

I reach the Immigration counter and was almost fainted. Huge huge crowds in all the counters. It was standing till the arrival hall. I was standing for more than 30 min and a gentle man comes and informs, passenger with children no need to stand in this long Queue. OMG, I lost so much time. Then I goto the near by counter which is closed but allowed only for special passengers like us.

Seems there are lot of trainee officers in place. Me and my son went to the officer, got the stamps in few mintues. My wife went to a traniee, sitting next to this officer and was getting delayed. There was some hush-hush when she stamped, and later I realized that she stamped wrong date of 13th Feb, instead of 14th Feb. Anyway, never mind.

When I reach the baggage belt, I dont see our flights. Only then I realize that it was 7:30am, more than 2 hours after landing. So, the belt number was not known and I go to the baggage service office, get the belt number. Back to the belt and I see my 2 baggage calmly waiting for me to pick it up.

No! Sack is not mine. Lol

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7013.jpg

I pick them up, and head to customs. Then I take the exit from the arrival hall and atlast, we are in Land of Smiles.

Great!!!

Wake up my boy

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7017.jpg
Old 27th February 2009, 20:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mjothi,

Great vacation! So finally a travelogue without the Aveo!

And looks like you traveled out at the same time my family traveled to Singapore - 14th morning 12:05am flight from Bangalore airport.

Well, on with the photo, chief.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oh my...so this is where you were during that weekend.Was just wondering where is our favourite mjurno....BTW nice pics and hoping you post all the pics taken...good and bad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
BTW, where is the 'Aveo' in the pictures? Can't see it any of the pictures you have posted till now!!!
Cheers,
This time he hitched a ride in aeroplane. That's why no "aveo" here. Just kidding mjothi...no offences meant.

Last edited by snaronikar : 28th February 2009 at 20:18.
Old 28th February 2009, 21:39   #20
BHPian

Mtraveller - your attendance?

Hope you are not travelling :-)
Old 1st March 2009, 12:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

@mjyothi,

nice pics.
but travelogue is going in slow mode.
Old 2nd March 2009, 20:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mtiger, on with the snaps and narrative!!!
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

HaaH M-Anna, Nice pics, so finally you took your wife for an aeroplane ride and didnt even care to book a window seat for her (too bad maan?)
Same emotions were echoed by my wife too in her maiden flight (she got an aiesle). Her window seat obscession continued till our next trip to Kolkata when she sat throughout the window gazing through clouds and watching dont know what through it(I slept in between). Now she is back to normal though after that trip.

Abhi
Old 2nd March 2009, 22:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Anna mpuli who visited Thailand and got re-christened as mthai ( courtesy Hrishi) wherez the rest of the travelogue ? Lemme me see if I can pick up some info from your travelogue for my trip.
Old 3rd March 2009, 07:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, sorry, SORRY...

Was busy with work and could not spend time to get this done. I promise we will have atleast the first day before end of today with pics!

btw, with the speed you guys go in researching the nicks with "M*", I think people will start thinking to create any nick starting with M. Lol...
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:24   #26
BANNED

Nice place and good photos, we are eager to hear more soon.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:31   #27
BHPian

More pics please !

Quote:
... Leaving our Thai-mannu to reach Thai-Land

The 'sleeping with the tigers' pics...

Eagerly waiting for the rest...
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Since I have read several bad remarks on the Taxi system (specifically the drivers) of Thailand, I went straight to the Public Taxi stand. When I was taking the coupon for taxi, a gentleman asked me if it was first time for me to Bangkok. On me saying yes, he directed me to a tourist information desk. There she gave a map. I was feeling good and appreciating. Only then I came to know it was just to sell the tour for Grand Palace. She offered it for $8 per person while the normal charge was $40. Both amount was mentioned by her only. Since I was not interested to take any chance, just ignored and left from there.

She also gave a paper which was written with my hotel info and address in Thai. I was suppose to give this to Taxi driver. I came out, feel the fresh air of bangkok. Took a Taxi. The taxi driver went a few meter ahead and then showed a paper which read 660 BHAT. He managed to make me understand that he wanted that amount to go to Sukhumvit area. It was just then I remember about all these tactics, and checked the meter. It was not switched on. I force him to switch it on. After some initial talks he finally puts it on.

While on the way he asks me to give the toll charges. I give him first a 25BHAT and then 45BHAT in the second toll. Later when we reach the Sukhumvit soi 7, he stops on the main road saying that it was a one way and hence he cant get in. Ok, I see the meter. it smiles at me showing 197BHAT. Cool, I give him 200BHAT and reach for the Hotel.

My wife was surprised to see the area. It was a busy place and was almost similar to India. She had a assumption that she is going to see sky scrappers, clean roads as we usually see the US and other western cities in movies.

We check into the hotel around 8:30am. The room was clean and had basic amenities without any luxury.

Since we already planned for going to Kanchanaburi to see the Tigers, we immediately refreshed ourselves and got ready in next 1 hour. I had no clue on how to go there, but decided to take a BUS from Southern bus terminal. This was the info I got on the net. When we got down, a guy came running to us asking if we need a car for the day. Initially I refused and started to walk. But the guy did not leave. Was following us and finally I picked up some talk with him. He said he will charge 2500BHAT for going and coming back. I negotiated for 1500BHAT, but he was not in a mood to accept. So, we left.

Then immediately another guy came. Seems the previous guy informed him. He said he will take us for 2000BHAT. Since I know that the place was far and even on buses and taxis it should cost around 1200BHAT, I thought ok, lets take it for 2000BHAT.

Once we enter the parking lot, we see this Mercedes waiting for us. Umm, nice one though.
Pavan, do you notice a microbus there!!!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7018.jpg
For a moment, felt I was near Gemini Flyover, Chennai!!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7019.jpg
Even those green signs under the overhead lines!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7020.jpg
Elevated roads
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7021.jpg
Its really looong - Imagine missing an exit!!!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7022.jpg

All over thailand, you will see "sea of taxis". All combination of colors, all brands of car etc. Will post the picture as we run through the travelogue.

Is anyone reminded of those 10paise sweet mithai that came with yellow & green portion? I did...

Who said our cable-wala only did this? See the cables running right in the middle of the road and post!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7023.jpg
Peaguot - dont remember the model.
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7024.jpg
If you see these people's pics, then you are assured you are in Thailand!!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7025.jpg

Then slowly driver said why don't we try to peep into the Crocodile park and elephant show (Samphran Elephant Ground & Zoo) which is on the way.

Since it was on the way, we decided to take it. It was a very long drive though. We reached there and driver said, please add 100BHAT to the 2000BHAT smilingly. Now we know why he was doing all these. Anyway, we said ok. He also mentions that show starts from 11am.

I go to the counter and ask for 2 Adults (500BHAT / person) & 1 child (300BHAT) ticket. Also, I was asking for the show timing. The lady in the seat just starred at me but never opened the mouth. I reluctantly paid money and went inside. We kept searching for the show. Later we found that it was only on Sunday and National holiday they have show from 11am. Other days it starts at 12:45pm. So I was really upset for the expense I made and returned back immediately to the cab after seeing whatever we can see on the way.

Anyway, these are the stuff we saw inside the zoo.

Someone feed me please!!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7028.jpg

I will. don't worry!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7029.jpg

Ok, then me too please
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7033.jpg

Famous Thai flower

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7035.jpg

What you want, my brain?
Name:  IMG_7037.JPG
Views: 2041
Size:  129.9 KB

No, I am not the one in the stupid crocodile and intelligent monkey story!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7040.jpg

Yummy, this is what I want!

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7042.jpg

Will that be sufficient for all?

sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7043.jpg

Cute little elephant!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7047.jpg

Frankly nothing exciting here. We could easily see these in our Crocodile park too. But anyway. They did have some interesting stuff like taking a picture with a tiger, elephant show, crocodile wrestling etc. But, the timing was problem for us to enjoy those.

I told the cab driver that he should have guided us correctly. He said he will go and check. I was silently following him. It was then I found out that they get commission for bringing people there.

Now I understand the reason and meaning in the "stare" the lady in the ticket counter gave me.

Guys, be very careful and do NOT take anyones words in Bangkok. Mostly, the reason for them to help us (or pretend to) is that they will get some benefits.

Before we left!
sa-wad-dee ka Thailand, Land of Smiles. Perfect spot for vacation!!!-img_7053.jpg

Contd...
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hail Mjourno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sorry, sorry, SORRY...

Was busy with work and could not spend time to get this done. I promise we will have atleast the first day before end of today with pics!

btw, with the speed you guys go in researching the nicks with "M*", I think people will start thinking to create any nick starting with M. Lol...
The Thailand is a very good place and you had a few lessons to learn tooo from the taxi drivers and the guides.

This says it MJ that this thread will be extended for a long period for you to finish.

Better finish it fast or you will be in the next meet
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
When
14th Feb to 19th Feb 2009.

Where
Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Phuket, Phi-Phi Island.
Dude! I was in BKK 14th thru 17th! could have caught up! Cheers anyway and hope you had a great time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks