Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 22:38   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Absolutely, the way they guided me and ever open with answers when I approached them speaks volumes about their training and the disciplined way the conduct their life. I do have some good photos with them and of course of their trucks.

Eager to see those trucks and the Indian Army people who are ever friendly guys in such kind of places.
Old 17th April 2009, 22:57   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Spiti saw a max height of around 14.5K at Kunzum Pass and the most important it was a gradual climb from the Chitkul side. Moreover at Yumthang at 14k, none of the problems happened though over there we climbed around 6 k in 2 hrs. What I found out is that there is a whole lot of difference between 14k height and 18k height - after 15k every altitude rise counts.

If we draw an analogy like, it was like climbing from Manali [here Chungthang] to Khardungla[here Gurudongmar] in 4-5 hrs. Everyone gets hit by AMS, saw a couple of tourists real bad lying in the sumo backseats.

At 17-18k ft the body does not acclamatize and what made it worse was the very rapid ascent.
Absolutely right. I was badly hit by AMS while travelling from Manali to Leh. The first night was spent at Sarchu and it was a rise of around 8K (6.5K at Manali to 14.5K at Sarchu) in a day's time. Crossing Baralacha-la enroute at 16K was quite an experience. After a good night's sleep, we were fresh the next morning.

Next day, we had to cross Tanglang-la at 17.5K and it was not much of a problem, however, simply walking over from one side of the road to the other side looked like a very strenuous task.
Old 18th April 2009, 00:19   #93
Senior - BHPian

Any medicines or even exercises that can help prevent AMS?
Old 18th April 2009, 00:44   #94
BHPian

Yes, homeopathic medicine, Coca 6X helps preventing AMS. (I am not a doctor, so please take it after consulting a registered doctor).

From practical experience, I believe drinking plenty of water also helps. Also, AMS includes loss of appetite, apart from dizziness, headache and nausea.
Saurabh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 11:50   #95
adc
Senior - BHPian

Trucks and the men - ARMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Eager to see those trucks and the Indian Army people who are ever friendly guys in such kind of places.
Some pics already have been posted and a couple of more are there. Let me put all the pics together of the trucks and Army men.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0805.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_0888.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1380.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1720.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1795.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1732.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Yes, homeopathic medicine, Coca 6X helps preventing AMS. (I am not a doctor, so please take it after consulting a registered doctor). From practical experience, I believe drinking plenty of water also helps. Also, AMS includes loss of appetite, apart from dizziness, headache and nausea.
Coca 30 is the medicine we have, and it has given amazing results till now. Just 3-4 globules per 4 hour spent in high altitudes. No need has been ever there for the stronger allopathic medicines like Stemetil, Diamox, etc.

And of course drinking water is a must, one can feel the dehydration coming on quickly on the Gurudongmar trip.

Zekuphyak/Katao and Yumthang pics next....

Last edited by adc : 18th April 2009 at 12:03.
adc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2009, 11:14   #96
adc
Senior - BHPian

Zekuphyak/Katao

Zekuphyak/Katao

So after a fantastic Gurudongmar trip and with a mind boggling frozen waterfall sight still in our minds, we head off to Lachung hotel [8.5k feet] and from there we went to Zekuphyak/Katao [14-15k feet]

Quote:
Katao/Zekuphyak: From Lachung at a height of 14-15k ft.(approximately). Katao is a very beautiful place with the panoromic view of snow capped peaks of Himalaya. This place is very close to China border.

On towards Lachung from Lachen
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1685.jpg

Enroute to Katao
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1700.jpg

To those high mountains
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1692.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1775.jpg

At Zekuphyak, the military did not let us proceed beyond as some firing exercise was going on and also the road was totally snowed.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1725.jpg

And there was snow on the road, turned back from a little beyond Zekuphak
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1796.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1801.jpg

But not before - a lot of snow fun
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1844.jpg

- The "NOTHING TO MESS WITH" snap
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1756.jpg

- and "THE FAMILY"
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1932.jpg
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2009, 11:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some pics already have been posted and a couple of more are there. Let me put all the pics together of the trucks and Army men.
Hey ADC, thanks for putting up the pictures of those trucks.

They are the machines to be driven one day at that place, that will make my day to be remembered for longtime.
Old 21st April 2009, 11:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Loved the 'family' shot! Good one, ADC!
Old 21st April 2009, 12:33   #99
adc
Senior - BHPian

Yumthang

Quote:
Yumthang at 12,000 ft: Yumthang is called the valley of flowers. The route to Yumthang from Lachung-adjoining the Singba Forest Reserve (has over 24 species of rhododendrons) has a very picturesque landscape and is lined with rhododendrons that bloom in different colour at their best during the month of May. The valley has a grassy plane area in the middle, a river on the side and a forest Dak Bungalow, surrounded all sides by snow clad mountains. Before entering the valley a small pedestrian road goes through a small bridge right way which connects the Yumthang Hot Spring. Hot water rich in sulphur, emanates from a small spring and is diverted inside a hut where two pools are made for the bathers. In such a cold place, it is a very pleasant experience to bath in the water, which is so hot in its natural form. 6 km further north is a Shiv Mandir.

Another 23 km ahead of Yumthang on the broader part of the Lachung valley are the hot springs of Yumey-Samdong (15, 300ft) on the river Sebu Chu at the foot of the mountain on which lies the Donkiala pass that connects the Lachung valley to the Lachen valley. At Yumey-Samdong, three rivers meet providing yet another scenic view.

Towards Yumthang through the Sanctuary
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1943.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1951.jpg

But the weather was going worse those days and it starts to rain as we do this afternoon journey.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1974.jpg

And then it starts to snow before it turns to a heavy drizzle/snow rain
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1990.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2034.jpg

We could go till Shiv Mandir after which again we were turned back from this outpost as the road was closed due to snow.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2040.jpg

At Yumthang Valley
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2072.jpg

We made so many out of tourist circuit runs - and we were at a real low with diesel at 12k feet. Filled up from one person at Chungthang, just in time for the return journey to Gangtok
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2101.jpg

The last view of the snow and wonderful coldness.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2113.jpg

And then eventually the return journey to Gangtok through incessant rain. The original road was closed due to landslide and followed this taxi as it went through the Dikchum road to Gangtok via Singtam. The later part was through pouring rain in the night, cant thank enough that taxi fellow who I never lost sight of. And the next day from Gangtok to Kolkata in an overnight journey.
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2136.jpg

The first-of-the-lot VTT 2.2, completes 1.5 years and it got tested with a fitting journey of its worth and comes through without a hitch and brings us safely back home - Safari VTT 2.2 proves itself through actions - giving the bang and boom to all the false prophets of doom!!

So that it then, finally an end to this travelogue for a travel that had us go through some of the most hostile yet beautiful terrains. We wanted a "Leh-Ladakh" feel but what we got was much beyond that.

North Sikkim is unique, raw and untouched, and very less travelled. The permit window dharna, the travel and the Tsongmo and Gurudongmar Lake, the frozen waterfall and ice storm at Chopta, the snow fun at Zeku, the snowfall at Yumthang, and finally the night journey to Gangtok through huge rain, the wonderful people of Sikkim - memories that will be there forever.

Till the next journey then and thanks much for letting me relive the experience again through sharing with you all.

The End

Last edited by adc : 21st April 2009 at 12:44.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:02   #100
BHPian

Congratulations to you and your family once again. Its always been fun to read your post and it always comes out to be very interesting. I was glued to you thread. Sonabeda is cool but sikkim is awsome.
Well mera sikkim darshan bhi hogaya.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:51   #101
adc
Senior - BHPian

Mandarmoni/Tajpur-on-Sea

Oh!! just one post more as I missed out this part

Quote:
A Himalaya to Bay of Bengal journey - the last part was not planned - my younger brother, wife and their child came to Kolkata from Chennai, getting some holidays due to office break, and with us off to Sikkim, he was bored just sitting in the house, and as we came back the very next day we travelled along with his family for the 1-day sea beach travel.

From 18,000 to 0 feet - at Mandarmoni sea beach
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2370.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2292.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2313.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2332.jpg

From there to Tajpur-on-sea - a even more desolate beach, around 2 km from Alampur [on Digha road].
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2403.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2405.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_2421.jpg
Old 21st April 2009, 15:10   #102
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
They are the machines to be driven one day at that place, that will make my day to be remembered for longtime.
Of course, the driver's seat was like first-floor height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Loved the 'family' shot! Good one, ADC!
Sure it is, but you have to excuse that Safari drawing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Sonabeda is cool but sikkim is awsome.
Well mera sikkim darshan bhi hogaya.
Sure do visit North Sikkim at least once, you will remember it for the lifetime.

Let me post the constrasting waterfalls - River Jonk waterfall in the middle of the remote Sunabeda forest with white sands and crystal clear green-blue turquoise waters and the other, the Chopta valley frozen waterfall at 2 pm, afternoon time.

Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_8977e.jpg
Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1613.jpg

Last edited by adc : 21st April 2009 at 15:24.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:56   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Speechless at the vivid scenes and jealous of you. 8-P
Old 21st April 2009, 18:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

ADC,

Whatever I say will be a repetition of all that has been said! All the superlatives have been used up!

Hats off to you, sir!

Add one more person, along with Sudev, who is jealous of you!
Old 21st April 2009, 19:19   #105
BHPian

ADC,

I am spellbound, nothing to say more .
Superb location , fantastic photographic
ideas .

* we will have Garia meet sometime.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks