Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 15:33   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Yes we went till Zero point with the hope of travelling to Yumesadong, but due to the path being blocked with snow, we could not move further. The details are there on page 6. The temple that is there is Shiv Mandir.

The Baba Mandir that I am talking about is the one that is approachable from the Zuluk-Kupup side - I will be working on that long unfinished travelogue. This is one part of Sikkim that you should visit definitely during the winter months for the snow and vistas.

And thanks to you too again for the all appreciation.
Congrats, ADC. You have done it yet again...

Old 27th January 2010, 21:11   #137
BHPian

adc Sir,
just Fantastic !!
I am running out of words.
Many thanks for these incredible pics .

P.S. - I am a bit late
Old 28th January 2010, 11:56   #138
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir458 View Post
adc Sir,
just Fantastic !!
I am running out of words.
Many thanks for these incredible pics .

P.S. - I am a bit late

Oh sure it was a great trip, reviving it up you brought back those good memories to the front again - even we went through those pictures in the thread. Thanks to you!

Last edited by adc : 28th January 2010 at 12:01.
Old 17th March 2010, 18:49   #139
BHPian

adc - I just saw your travelogue after I finalized on my itinerary. Mindblowing is the word!

Can you give me some advice on Do's and Dont's based on the itinerary? Ill be going with a travel agent, albeit with an exclusive Mahindra Maxx.

Im also looking for minor points like covering Gurudongmar before lunch which I learnt from your travelogue.
Any places that I should not miss and any places which I can give a miss if time does not permit etc

Quote:
11 April Sunday:
Go to Pelling from IXB. Land in IXB at 1:30, leave IXB around 2:30, reach Pelling around 7:30. Evening and night in Pelling free.
Stay in Pelling.

Monday:
Before breakfast - Get up early around 5-30AM. Trek to Sanga Choeling Monastery (2nd oldest of Sikkim) for 40 minutes climb. Back to Pelling by 8:30 AM
Before lunch - Rimbi waterfalls, Rimbi rock garden, Khecheopalri lake, Kanchenjunga falls
After lunch - Pemayangtse Monastery, Rabdengtse Ruins (Ancient capital of Sikkim & upper Helipad)
Stay in Pelling.

Tuesday:
Start early for Gangtok around 7 AM. Reach Gangtok by 12 Noon. Afternoon and evening free for going around Gangtok and shopping...
Stay in Gangtok.

Wednesday:
Trip to Tsomgo Lake, Nathula Pass, Baba Mandir & Tukla pass.
Stay in Gangtok.

Thursday:
Gangtok to Lachen. En-route - Seven Sisters falls, Amitav Bacchan falls, Vima Falls, Phodong View point & Monastery, Labrang monastery, Singhik view point
Stay in Lachen.

Friday:
Lachen to Tahngu - Chopta Vally- Gurudongmar Lake - Tsolamu lake - back to Lachen ... after lunch go to Lachung
Stay in Lachung.

Saturday:
Start early morning - Zero point (Yumesamdong) – Yumthang valley – back to Lachung.
Lachung to Gangtok.
Stay in Gangtok

18 April Sunday:
Start for IXB from Gangtok.

Last edited by Proxima : 17th March 2010 at 18:51.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:09   #140
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Im also looking for minor points like covering Gurudongmar before lunch which I learnt from your travelogue.
Any places that I should not miss and any places which I can give a miss if time does not permit etc
Thats the most important point when you are going off for Gurudongmar and Chopta Valley - start early. We started around 530 am, which meant a waking time of around 445 am in that bitter cold. That will give you time to see the Lake in all its clarity as you had right noted, everything changes after noon. Also this year the weather is holding out okay, no landslides like last time.

It is also good to see that you are doing Chopta Valley while going, rather than us while coming back as we found out it is very dangerous afternoon time at Chopta with almost everyday snow storm and we got saved somehow from getting caught in it - even the Army posts are abandoned over there.

You have the maximum plan ie the maximum that you can put in that so much days, as such just keep your energy level high. The most tiring will be the Lachen to Lachung journey after seeing all that and most probably you will be doing a late evening lunch at Lachung and push off again to reach Lachung at night for the dinner. Otherwise you have to cut down on your stoppages time. So dont cut down on that, you have an exclusive vehicle, just dont mind having your lunch late and reaching Lachung late. And again start early, ie. very early.

The tour is perfect, you have so many days and you are using it to maximum - as such just keep your energy level and more importantly your spirits high!

Best of luck and let me know if you need any further info.

PS: At the Chopta Valley-Gurudongmar Junction, I kept a "snowboot" out there last April, let me know if it is still there

Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur-img_1237.jpg

Last edited by adc : 18th March 2010 at 14:12.
Old 18th March 2010, 15:14   #141
BHPian

Thanks for the advice and will look out for the boot.

Is any day in the schedule too tightly packed? If we need to drop something, what should it be?

How do you think the weather will be when we go (Apr 11-18).

Can we accommodate Katao (if we can get the permits)? If yes, which day would be the best bet?
Proxima is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 16:06   #142
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Is any day in the schedule too tightly packed? If we need to drop something, what should it be?
It is packed but no way I would change anything. You are seeing the best of Sikkim in the most least time possible and thats the trade off, but since Sikkim is not our backyard, cover as much as possible. So, dont change anything.

Quote:
How do you think the weather will be when we go (Apr 11-18)
Of course no one can predict hill weather tomorrow let alone in mid April from now. But the probability is that April is the clear month but still keep your fingers crossed that even if you encounter rain, at least the Gurudongmar days it remains all clear.

Quote:
Can we accommodate Katao (if we can get the permits)? If yes, which day would be the best bet?
It would have been infinitely better if you had another day at Lachung, but then understand there thats the maximum no of days you could take out for this holiday.

Katao would be difficult but not impossible, it would again require very early rise, go to Katao, come back for some late breakfast, skip lunch, cover Yumthang route, and then head off to Gangtok.

You and the driver would have to take a call, discuss it with him, if he is okay with that, go for it but again stoppage times are severely restricted that day if you are doing such whirlwind travel.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:36   #143

Hi ADC, it was good meeting you in Kolkata and exchanging notes before leaving for Sikkim.

I am back from my 42 days road trip from Pune to North Sikkim (via Hyderabad, Vizag, Bhubneswar, Kolkata) and back (via Jhansi, Indore). I am attaching a picture of the route here. It was a drive of 7450 Km exact. I and my wife drove all the way. You can get the details and pictures from the trip at my son's blog at http://dhruvabhatia@blogspot.com.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:57   #144
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhukar Bhatia View Post
Hi ADC, it was good meeting you in Kolkata and exchanging notes before leaving for Sikkim.

I am back from my 42 days road trip from Pune to North Sikkim (via Hyderabad, Vizag, Bhubneswar, Kolkata) and back (via Jhansi, Indore).
Thats one good road journey that you sure will cherish for long. Glanced over the pictures of your son's blog, will read it in detail this weekend.

If possible, do create a thread out here too and share some of your own thoughts of the varied experiences that you surely had.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:09   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhukar Bhatia View Post

I am back from my 42 days road trip from Pune to North Sikkim (via Hyderabad, Vizag, Bhubneswar, Kolkata) and back (via Jhansi, Indore). I am attaching a picture of the route here. It was a drive of 7450 Km exact. I and my wife drove all the way. You can get the details and pictures from the trip at my son's blog at http://dhruvabhatia@blogspot.com.
Great Journey. I did the same trip (well... almost - I did not go / come via hyderabad etc) via Indore, Jhansi, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Patna, Bodhgaya, Kolkata and back in the same period.

Great trip and great experience.
The best was meeting ADC in kolkata.
ADC - It was great meeting you. I miss your Travelogue to Nagpur / Amravati forests.Looking forward to the same.

Last edited by kingshukt : 24th June 2010 at 17:11.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:13   #146
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Great Journey. I did the same trip (well... almost - I did not go / come via hyderabad etc) via Indore, Jhansi, Orchha, Khajuraho, Varanasi, Patna, Bodhgaya, Kolkata and back in the same period.
Good to see you back online, had a talk with Shantanu earlier on how your return journey went about. It is surely about time you start your travel story of such a big and varied journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks