Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 09:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally I got a mileage of about 17.2 on my way to Thrissur and little less than 15 on my return.

The "Tindivanam - Ulundurpet GMR Expressway" must possibly be the costliest to travel in South. One has to pay Rs.50 at Vikravandi toll and there is another toll booth coming up just before Ulundurpet effectively meaning we are going to pay atleast Re1/- per km for cars for using this stretch.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:37   #17
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Superb travelogue ! Thanks for sharing ! The monsoons bring out the best of everything in S.India..love it !!!
Old 13th August 2009, 11:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The "Tindivanam - Ulundurpet GMR Expressway" must possibly be the costliest to travel in South. One has to pay Rs.50 at Vikravandi toll and there is another toll booth coming up just before Ulundurpet effectively meaning we are going to pay atleast Re1/- per km for cars for using this stretch.
One of the Toll guys told me that the rates will go down once the other tolls start functioning.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
One of the Toll guys told me that the rates will go down once the other tolls start functioning.
It better go down because I have been paying 50 bucks every time I go to my home town for which I take a left onto the Kumbakonam highway. Imagine paying that toll for a distance of not even 50 kms.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Lovely stuff Srikanth. I am planning to visit Athirapally and Vazhachal once again. I last visited this place with a friend in December.

One pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai - Thrissur & Back through the roads not taken-dsc_0438.jpg  

Old 14th August 2009, 16:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Lovely stuff Srikanth. I am planning to visit Athirapally and Vazhachal once again. I last visited this place with a friend in December.

One pic:
I think you had mentioned about this in Xbhp as well, while trying to figure out if the Athirapally - Valparai stretch is doable or not I did go through your thoughts on the other forum as well.

It would be a sea change from your last visit and this time around. This is the time to visit both these falls, they are at their majestic best.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Roads between Dindigul -Trichy is good, but not smooth. Speeds in the range of 60-90 kmph can be maintained . Done that before 2 weeks

Is this trip done all alone by you? I never done a trip like that.. do not know why. I always prefer someone along with me, though in the passenger seat , talking some interesting subjects. I appreciate your interest in trying out newer routes (esp if you have traveled all alone)

Going to Athirapalli falls via Valparai is in my list. Which is the best season to do that? Any accommodation near Athirapalli falls?

I have been there once by bus.. stayed in Chalakudi then I guess
Old 16th August 2009, 09:36   #23
rippergeo

Quote:

Finally I owe a special thanks to rippergeo who had created this urge in me to take the Athirapally - Valparai stetch when he posted this travelougue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1009763.
Dont mention it.
I was actually about to PM you asking for route details, so that I could do a trip to madras later on avoiding all the major roads, when I saw the above sentence. Everytime i go somewhere new, I try and and avoid the shortest/fastest route so that I can drive longer and see more of this wonderful place we call our country.
The expressways and highways are all very convenient, but they really, really take away driving pleasure.

I hope the future will be like this in india, where all the people in a hurry take the big, wide smooth roads where you can test your top speed/luck/patience, and people who travel for the heck of travelling will have the option of taking the narrow winding routes through the countryside where life has a nicer pace

PS-SH209 is lovely. I think I did a bit of it on a trip to chidambaram last year. took the indirect, longer route,200kms extra just for the hell of it. It was totally worth it.

And thank you for sharing this great travelogue. posts like yours are the only reason I still hang around this forum

EDIT- TN has a lot of nice state highways that meander around the countryside, going nowhere, that are very useful if you like getting off the beaten track.
Karnataka has a good number of backroads, but the surface of these backroads are usually fatal to most cars

Last edited by rippergeo : 16th August 2009 at 09:42.

Old 17th August 2009, 11:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Roads between Dindigul -Trichy is good, but not smooth. Speeds in the range of 60-90 kmph can be maintained . Done that before 2 weeks

Is this trip done all alone by you? I never done a trip like that.. do not know why.

Going to Athirapalli falls via Valparai is in my list. Which is the best season to do that? Any accommodation near Athirapalli falls?
Another reason for avoiding Dindigul was to byepass Trichy all together. In the evening time you lose a lot of time reaching Chennai road from Dindigul road.

The trip was done all alone. Somehow am comfortable going alone as much as going with others. I prefer going alone for trips like this because I can stop where I want and I can continue without stopping as well. I had breakfast at a small shack before Athirapally at around 7.30 in the morning post which I had lunch at around 3.00 PM when I reached Dharapuram, dinner was at home around 10.00 PM, did not stop anywhere in between except for a Fuel break at Ulundurpet. So it works both ways for me.

In my opinion this is the best season to see Athirapalli in full flow, during the leaner months you could possibly walk over the falls which would be a diffferent experience. May be visiting during monsoon and post monsoon would be worth for the two different experiences. There are quite a few resorts near Athirapally though they could be slightly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Dont mention it.
I was actually about to PM you asking for route details, so that I could do a trip to madras later on avoiding all the major roads, when I saw the above sentence.

PS-SH209 is lovely. I think I did a bit of it on a trip to chidambaram last year. took the indirect, longer route,200kms extra just for the hell of it. It was totally worth it.

And thank you for sharing this great travelogue. posts like yours are the only reason I still hang around this forum
Thanks for the compliment, let me know when you are coming down will try to send you some "Roads not taken" routes for you including some ECR as well .
Old 17th August 2009, 11:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
It better go down because I have been paying 50 bucks every time I go to my home town for which I take a left onto the Kumbakonam highway. Imagine paying that toll for a distance of not even 50 kms.
NICE Expressway in Bangalore is even more expensive, at about 1.75/km (IIRC).

Quote:
I think you had mentioned about this in Xbhp as well, while trying to figure out if the Athirapally - Valparai stretch is doable or not I did go through your thoughts on the other forum as well.

It would be a sea change from your last visit and this time around. This is the time to visit both these falls, they are at their majestic best.
Yes, I plan to do a large-ish circuit of the famous falls in S.India. This is definitely on my list.
Old 11th April 2010, 11:17   #26
BHPian

There are 2 routes I see on google maps. SH21 from Pollachi via Parambikulam to Chalakudy. Then there is SH78 from Pollachi - Aliyar - Valparai - kalady-malayathoor-rd which ends abruptly. After reading it looks like this further goes into Athirampally falls and into Chalakudi - which is not plotted on google. Can someone plot it? The exact point on SH21 where the SH78 meets? In other words we get Valparai or we get Parambikulam but not both? Thanks.
Old 11th April 2010, 14:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From there until Pattikad took me almost 20 minutes with some big craters on one side of the road.
Lovely pics and travelogue I must say, where is this place Pattikad located?

Quote:
I had an exhibition to attend which took place at "Lulu Convention Centre" which I must say is a faboulous place. Would not be out of place even in a metro like Bangalore or Chennai.
Yeah, . I was in Lulu this January to attend a marriage, it has one of the best amenities for functions.

Spike
Old 12th April 2010, 13:40   #28
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Great photos and great trip. The waterfalls snaps reminded me of a Tamil Movie Punnagai Mannan, where Kamal and rekha (not the hindi one) leap from top in the opening scene. The road less travelled always makes the difference.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
There are 2 routes I see on google maps. SH21 from Pollachi via Parambikulam to Chalakudy. Then there is SH78 from Pollachi - Aliyar - Valparai - kalady-malayathoor-rd which ends abruptly. After reading it looks like this further goes into Athirampally falls and into Chalakudi - which is not plotted on google. Can someone plot it? The exact point on SH21 where the SH78 meets? In other words we get Valparai or we get Parambikulam but not both? Thanks.
I did not see physically any road deviating towards Parambikulam while on my way to Valparai. My understanding is the actual road goes somewhere in between the two dams marked as Idamalyar & Sholayar and join the road marked SH78 to continue onwards towards Valparai via Upper Sholayar. I doubt if you could continue onwards to Chalakudi from Parambikulam, though there did exist a train path roughly on the road marked SH21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Lovely pics and travelogue I must say, where is this place Pattikad located?
Pattikad is on NH47 where you get the turnoff for Peechi Reservoir. Its after this place the Kuthiran Ghats start.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:09   #30
BHPian

hey Srikanth, awesome pics of the 2 waterfalls there! Am exploring driving from Chennai towards Valparai and back - have been confused with many routes through Salem -Krishnagiri, through Trichy etc., What do you recommend?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks