Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Jai Shrikhand!

Destination - Shrikhand Mahadevan
I recently indulged in a little trekking and camping adventure to a Gorgeous, Remote spot in the Himalayas..

Shrikhand is actually a holy pilgrimage, Every year,From the months of July-Sept, the path to Shrikhand becomes accessible as the heavy snow cover melts.
The Trek commences from a little village called "Joan", Close to "Nerkand" in Kullu District, North India
At the Summit, lies the "Shiv Link" which, according to Religious beliefs is the Holy abode of Lord Shiva situated at a height of 18000 feet (approx) surrounded by a breathtaking and an unforgiving glacier.

Day break-up

Date - July 17th
Time - 10 PM
Vehicle - New Honda City
(Initial) Destination - Narkanda

Three friends from Delhi, a desperate urge to get to the mountains, away from civilization was motivation enough
We started from Delhi late after a long day of work, the intention was to take a smooth and not-rushed drive through the night passing Chandigarh, Shimla on to Narkanda and further upto the remote areas in Kullu District, the Drive was fantastic. very less traffic, a lot of hearty, lengthy discussions on life, future, Dhaba Dinner and pleasant night breeze.

to be continued..
oh and by the way..here is a little teaser
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-3800802744_c3c3779bfb_b.jpg  

Old 21st August 2009, 06:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

This picture looks perfect. You have a great teaser buddy:-) Waiting for the story
Old 21st August 2009, 09:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

great teaser buddy,
looking forward.

shrikhand and i thought about foodlogue by slice.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 21st August 2009 at 09:36.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:01   #4
BHPian

Hey here in Pune Jai Shrikhand = Jai Chitale Bandhu
Old 21st August 2009, 10:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

The pic is awesome. I am hooked to this thread now. Keep the pics coming soon and in plenty
Old 21st August 2009, 10:31   #6
BHPian

Day1

The Drive to Shimla was smooth and uneventful. we managed to make some good time as well, reached Kalka by 5 early morning.

With no one on the roads,except a few trucks and buses we reached shimla around 6.15 am,taking our time to admire the beauty that surrounded us.

Now, came the complex part, to find our way to Nermand (Near Rampur) through Narkanda, a brief halt for coffee and Refreshment and we were on our way.

It was a quiet and misty morning in Shimla, with school kids walking on the road, it seemed to be coming to life as we said goodbye to it

More to come..
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-dsc_0213.jpg  

Last edited by Sli_ce : 21st August 2009 at 10:40.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
shrikhand and i thought about foodlogue by slice.
Me pan shrikand manje sweet samajle

Slice, great begining and i can see that pictures are going to be extra special. Look forward to them. Keep posting
Old 21st August 2009, 16:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its the highest peak, Srikhand Mahadev in District Kullu, sis Satluj area. The area is Nirmund in case you are curious the name has something to do with human heads. lol
Old 21st August 2009, 18:10   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sli ce - I remember Narkhanda - it is after Simla. The first time I went there was as a DCOC (Deputy Clark of the Course) of the Himalayan Rally in the end of October 1982 in a modified Premier Padmini, driving all the way from Mumbai. We reached Narkhanda at 2 in the night. I can never forget that freezing weather. With all the CO2 pollution that's everywhere now, I hope Narkhanda is still as cold. Thanks for making me remember Narkhanda. I look forward to seeing pictures of Narkhanda.

I took part in the Himalayan Rally in 1983 and won the second national award. By the way, the Himalayan Rally route after start from Mussoorie was ----- Mussoorie - Barwala - Nahan - Rajgarh - Solan - Khandaghat - Dhalli - Guma - Narkhanda - Luri - Jalori Pass - Banjar - Manali - Rohtang Pass - Khoksar - Manali - Mandi - Kufri - Dhalli - Shogi - Solan - Rajgarh - Haripur Dhar - Andheri - Sataun - Rai - New Delhi. If you went there, please post pictures.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st August 2009 at 18:41. Reason: Post edited. Please see Team-BHP rule #11. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mandi-Kufri are a long way off. Could you please elaborate on the route taken? BTW I was a little kid in 1983 and used to wake up early to watch the cars go roaring past our house in Nahan. Most of the times we could hear the roar from kms away and be on the road side well in time to see the cars go zooming past. OT I know but could not resist.
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sli ce - I remember Narkhanda - it is after Simla. The first time I went there was as a DCOC (Deputy Clark of the Course) of the Himalayan Rally in the end of October 1982 in a modified Premier Padmini, driving all the way from Mumbai. We reached Narkhanda at 2 in the night. I can never forget that freezing weather. With all the CO2 pollution that's everywhere now, I hope Narkhanda is still as cold. Thanks for making me remember Narkhanda. I look forward to seeing pictures of Narkhanda.

I took part in the Himalayan Rally in 1983 and won the second national award. By the way, the Himalayan Rally route after start from Mussoorie was ----- Mussoorie - Barwala - Nahan - Rajgarh - Solan - Khandaghat - Dhalli - Guma - Narkhanda - Luri - Jalori Pass - Banjar - Manali - Rohtang Pass - Khoksar - Manali - Mandi - Kufri - Dhalli - Shogi - Solan - Rajgarh - Haripur Dhar - Andheri - Sataun - Rai - New Delhi. If you went there, please post pictures.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you for your kind words, i am glad my pictures or words got you thinking and Nostalgic, the Himalayan Rally must be super adventure?
The route you've mentioned is mind-boggling!
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:53   #12
BHPian

We managed to make good time again, despite of brief halts for food and admiring the spectacular views. Reached Narkanda by mid afternoon.

The next destination was Bagipul, which is a little village in District Kullu. after a couple of wrong turns, and discussion with the locals, we reached Bagipul by 2PM.

Now came the last part of the Drive, A Kacha road to another village called Joan, the origination point of the Shrikhand trek.

Surprisingly, after a long drive from Delhi, there was no sign of fatigue or exhaustion, and we were all charged up and looking forward to this great adventure.

below are a couple of pictures of the Kacha rasta to Joan Village..

more to come
Attached Thumbnails
Jai Shrikhand!-dsc_0243.jpg  

Jai Shrikhand!-3754456724_dbecd6eeb3_b.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2009, 14:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Wandernomad - please go through my thread - "Himalayan Rally Experiences - a flashback" - everything is given there. I don't know how to post that link here, hence this request.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:22   #14
BHPian

wow killing teaser pic
Old 22nd August 2009, 15:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey sli_ce,
why are you feeding us slice by slice?
waiting for more pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com