Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:42   #1
BHPian

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal

BANGALORE-HOGENAKKAL FALLS-BANGALORE

Hi all,

This is my first short travelogue in Team-BHP .

Travel Date: 14.08.2009
Route Taken : Bangalore--Hosur--Rayakotta--Palakkodu--Hoganekkal.
Distance : To and Fro 310Km from Old Airport Road ( Leela Palace Hotel )
Road Condition : Excellent Two Way Road
Car :- Maruti 800
Travel Time :- Approximately 2.45 Hrs one way

We thought of ( myself,wife & daughter ) going for a short trip to hogenakkal in the long weekend.It's better to start around 6 am from bangalore to reach around 9am at hogenakkal so that you can spend very good time in coracle ride,water falls etc. We started around 9.45 am and reached around 12.45 .To our bad luck,the weather was very hot and humid that day:(

Once reached hosur,don't take the first right route to Rayakotta ( big signboard shows rayakotta 36kms,came to know that this road is not in good condition ), rather go over the birdge and then immediately down the bridge take right which leads to rayakotta .The road is in excellent condition from hosur to hogenakkal ( Hosur -> Rayakotta -> ThakkaliMandi -> Palakkodu -> Pennagaram -> Hogenakkal ).There is a bypass to palakkodu town and we went through the palakkodu town and after 1/2 km of palakkodu town we took a right for hogenakkal.

We parked our car in the TTDC parking lot (near the falls ) and went to the falls ( hanging bridge ). After crossing the hanging bridge there are few coracle riders and asked for 100/- per head to show waterfalls and take near to the karnataka borders.As the water is heavy we asked them to show only someplace and he agreed for Rs.50 per head.Went for a small ride in coracle and had lunch at children park . There is no vegetarian or good hotels in hogenakkal so it's better to carry home food.
Attached Thumbnails
One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2839.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2842.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2846.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2856.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2857.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2863.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2864.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2865.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2866.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2867.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2868.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2871.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2872.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2873.jpg  

One Day Trip To Hogenakkal-img_2878.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd August 2009 at 20:48.
Old 24th August 2009, 06:12   #2
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the updates on the road conditions. The pics are looking really good with lots of water.
Old 24th August 2009, 08:58   #3
BHPian

Hi Seagull,

The pictures look stunning. This is the first time I have heard of Hogenakkal but the place looks worth visiting. If I plan to go there the next time I'm in Bangalore, could I get a decent hotel to stay overnight close to the falls?

Regards
Old 24th August 2009, 10:20   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Unfortunately there is only one hotel in hogenakkal ( run by govt. of tamilnadu -TTDC ).

https://www.ttdconline.com/hotelroom...aspx?hotelid=6

Phone no :-

I am not sure about the facilities or quality of the hotel.

Hogenakkal Visit is better to be an one day trip from bangalore. If you can reach hogenakkal by around 10am you can cover the whole hogenakkal by around 4pm.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi,
Nice set of pictures here, I think the increased rainfall has led to good water in the falls. More pictures would be welcome.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi Seagull,

The pictures look stunning. This is the first time I have heard of Hogenakkal but the place looks worth visiting. If I plan to go there the next time I'm in Bangalore, could I get a decent hotel to stay overnight close to the falls?

Regards

Hogenakkal is the same place were "raat ka nasha" from the filim "Ashoka" was shot. very beautiful place. Last time when we went a lot of families were there, but i heared this place is not very safe for families now a days, please correct me if i am wrong. I remember people paying kids 10 Rs ro jump off 30-40 Ft cliffs into the rageing river. Very beautiful place indeed.

Pramod
Old 24th August 2009, 16:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I remember people paying kids 10 Rs ro jump off 30-40 Ft cliffs into the rageing river. Very beautiful place indeed.
Last time I had been there, the kids used to shout 5 Rs. from top of the rocks and when you nodded your agreement, they will jump into the water! (they choose the spot where to dive from and are safe AFAIK.)

Hogenakkal is a nice place for a one day trip due to lack of good hotels!

Coracle ride towards the waterfalls when the water is at full flow is something to be experienced at least once!
Old 26th August 2009, 13:28   #8
BHPian

Thats nice!
I had been there a couple yrs ago. I remember going upto Dharmapuri and then taking a diversion. Most of that road was being four laned, but the route mentioned by you is different and nice to know it was good as well!
Old 27th August 2009, 10:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Thats nice!
I had been there a couple yrs ago. I remember going upto Dharmapuri and then taking a diversion. Most of that road was being four laned, but the route mentioned by you is different and nice to know it was good as well!
Thanks to travelogues from BHPians (rjstyles69,akroy,mjothi ) ,this route was shorter ( (around 40km) when compared to the dharmapuri route .The Krishnagiri-dharmapuri-hogenakkal route is 4 laned whereas this roure rayakotta-pennagaram is 2 laned but road is in good condition
Old 27th August 2009, 10:26   #10
BHPian

Seagull, I guess you enjoyed with your family.
Route through palacode, rayakottai or highway krishnagiri, dharmapuri are the regular routes. Who has gone to hogenakkal via Hosur->Denkanikottai->Anchetty->Hogenakkal ? This is a new route laid by the Tamilnadu Govt around 3-4 years back. This route is completely ghat section and forest road. Really amazing to drive in this road. Next time anyone want to try this route to visit Hogenakkal can try this..
Old 27th August 2009, 14:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Thanks to travelogues from BHPians (rjstyles69,akroy,mjothi ) ,this route was shorter ( (around 40km) ..
definitely agree! I wish i had been part of this forum much earlier, but its better late than never
Old 10th April 2010, 13:12   #12
BHPian

Road Condition to Hogenakkal now?

Hi,
I will we travelling to Hogenakkal to this monday. I would like to know the road conditions to Hogenakkal. I came to know that there are two ways. Bangalroe - Hosur - Denaknikota - Anchati - Pennagaram- Hogenakkal and Bangalore--Hosur--Rayakotta--Palakkodu--Hoganekkal. Can some one please tell me which is the best route in terms of Road quality and conditions.
Cheers.
SG
Old 14th April 2010, 18:03   #13
BHPian

Better you take Bangalore-Hosur -> Rayakotta -> ThakkaliMandi -> Palakkodu -> Pennagaram -> Hogenakkal route.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Hi,
I will we travelling to Hogenakkal to this monday. I would like to know the road conditions to Hogenakkal. I came to know that there are two ways. Bangalroe - Hosur - Denaknikota - Anchati - Pennagaram- Hogenakkal and Bangalore--Hosur--Rayakotta--Palakkodu--Hoganekkal. Can some one please tell me which is the best route in terms of Road quality and conditions.
Cheers.
SG
Bangalore--Hosur--Rayakotta--Palakkodu--Hoganekkal.

The above mentioned route will be good.

There is one more route
Bangalore -- Hosur -- Krishnagiri -- Dharmapuri -- Hoganekkal .
This route compared to the rayakotta route is of 25-30km more distance but 90% distance is in GQ Highway
Old 14th November 2013, 18:37   #15

Re: One Day Trip To Hogenakkal

Any update about the current road condition between Bangalore to Hoganekkal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks