Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 13:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Wow! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this one. Brought back memories of a Monsoon roadtrip through Kerala
Thanks amip. Kerala is monsoons is magical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
Very detailed Travelogue and wonderful snaps. Would love to go there anytime

How was the road conditions here. I go via Bhavani to Coimbatore from Bangalore, but haven't tried in these roads.

Yes its really pathetic. You find this A2B busy every Saturday.
Thank you mech.. The road condiions from Perundurai to Munnar is very good. Wide 2 lane roads with minimal traffic. A small bad stretch at Perundurai near a overpass construction over a BG railway line.

Was a bad experience at A2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Your first pics of the Day 2 spot, is very fav for many of us here. You can see almost in all our Munnar travelogues this particular pics

Very nice travelogue. Cheers..
Thank you mjothi. Thanks for your Munnar Travelogue as well which was very helpful for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
excellent compilation DD, thanks!
Thank you SkyWalker. Hope the travelguide is helpful for your Munnar trip.. Happy driving!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Brilliant Snaps... Brillant Weather to travel Munnar!
I did that in May/June awaiting the monsoons... was not as green as it is in ur snaps.
Thank you Pramod.. I guess the best time IMO to visit would be during end of Spetember when the rains are almost over and just before the begining of the tourist season at Munnar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Great. I read almost all of your travelogues. You go to lot of places dude and thanks for the detailed explanation. Next time you go somewhere, let me know I will join with my family too.
Thanks fordy.. Ya can definitely do tht in the future trips..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indizen08 View Post
Lovely views of the green tea plantations, mist and waterfalls.
The Swift looks spectacular in vantage locations.
The post on places around Munnar is very informative.
All in all, a great travelogue.
Thank you Indizen
Old 15th September 2009, 13:47   #32
BHPian

Hey man, you get me tempting with all those pictures, first it was Ooty, Kotagiri and Coonoor, with the present travelogue you are tempting me with Munnar, I had almost planned for doing the Ooty trip but now that can stay, i am going to Munnar, how was the place that you stayed?
Old 15th September 2009, 14:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great going dream diesel, my wife is from Munnar and I am regular there but looks like you have listed more place than I know in Munnar -. All my drives from Bangalore to Munnar, I have taken deviation from Vijayamangalam (10 kms from Perundurai) and go through Tiruppur - Palladam and Udumalpet. From many recent posts in teamBHP, it sounds Dharapuram is a better bet. It will be excellent if you can post or PM the route with distance and some landmarks when deviations.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Hey man, you get me tempting with all those pictures, first it was Ooty, Kotagiri and Coonoor, with the present travelogue you are tempting me with Munnar, I had almost planned for doing the Ooty trip but now that can stay, i am going to Munnar, how was the place that you stayed?
Aha.. Now thats a tough decision you had to make.

The place I stayed Highrange Inn (Hotel Highrange Inn | Hotels in Munnar | About Munnar | Munnar Photos | Munnar Tour Packages | Restaurant in Munnar) was a nice hotel. We were looking for a budget accomodation (Below Rs.1000) and my wife bargained it down to 50% off being off-season and also there was some renovation work going on in the ground and first floor. We stayed at the 4th floor with pretty Ok view of the hills. We ended up paying Rs.750/day. Parking was right next to the road but did not have a issue with security as there was a watchman in the night to look after the cars.

There are a lot of other better hotels/resorts in the Rs.1500-2000 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Great going dream diesel, my wife is from Munnar and I am regular there but looks like you have listed more place than I know in Munnar -. All my drives from Bangalore to Munnar, I have taken deviation from Vijayamangalam (10 kms from Perundurai) and go through Tiruppur - Palladam and Udumalpet. From many recent posts in teamBHP, it sounds Dharapuram is a better bet. It will be excellent if you can post or PM the route with distance and some landmarks when deviations.
Wow... Munnar is a very beautiful place. You are lucky to keep visiting the place on a regular basis.

I am not sure about the usual route you take to Munnar. The great one (HVK) suggested me to take the Dharapuram - Udumalpetai route to Munnar. Road from Perundurai to Udumalpetai is a wide 2 lane road and also the road condition is good for speeds around 100kmph.

Once you exit NH47 at Perundurai you will encounter a small bad stretch because of an overbridge construction over a BG line. From here roads are good throughout. You join the highway coming from Erode at Chennimalai, you continue ahead towards Kangayam. You enter Kangayam and continue straight ahead with the Bus Stand on the right. This straight road takes you to Dharapuram. Before Dharapuram, you take the bypass towards the right. A little further ahead I guess around 2kms you get a circle, here you take a right to go towards Udumalaipettai.

The distance from Perundurai -12kms - Chennimalai - 21kms - Kangayam - 36kms - Dharapuram - 69kms - Udumalpetai.
Old 16th September 2009, 19:47   #35
BHPian

Will be posting Day 4 and final day soon..

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 16th September 2009 at 19:53.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:58   #36
BHPian

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..

Day 4 (08th September, 2009): Kumily – Kanjirappally – Kottayam – Thrippunithura – Vytila – Cochin

Trip Meter – 677kms to 890kms

We are unusually up pretty early by 7:45AM on a holiday. We both have an appointment for a Kerala Ayurvedic Massage by 8:30AM at the Mantra Ayurvedic Massage Center. We are ready and leave the room by 8:15AM. We decide to have a light breakfast at Hotel Sarvana Bhavan just opposite to our cottage. After a light breakfast of Idlis and Vada and nice refreshing masala tea we walk down to Mantra Ayurvedic Massage Center which is about 10mins walk.

There are various full body massage package they offer and we selected a full body massage (80mins duration) with different oils. The rate quoted was Rs.900/head which also includes a steam bath mixed with various herbs after the massage. Wifey bargained on the package and brought the rates down by a couple of hundred rupees. They have separate massage rooms for gents and ladies and the rooms were very hygienic and maintained very well. By 9:00AM the massage starts. Lots of oil used for a complete head massage and then generous amounts of oil poured on the entire body for a full body massage. I was slipping and sliding on the rexin covered massage bed while the guy massaged the entire body for well over an hour. After which I was given a steam bath in a cylindrical enclosure for about 20mins and then my body wiped off the oil. I was told to take a hot water bath after 2 hrs. The entire massage experience was pretty good and relaxing but I felt it could have been better. Anyways, after the massage we walk out of Mantra Ayurvedic Massage Center by about 10:30AM.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08875.jpg
The cottages at Tiger Land Cottages, Kumily

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08884.jpg
Tiger Land Cottages, Kumily
Now I am in a dilemma. I had decided to leave Kumily by 11:00AM so that I am at Cochin by 3:00PM to attend my Friends marriage by 4:30PM. Cannot wait 2hrs now to take bath and leave Kumily. We decide to leave Kumily anyways. Before we head back to the Cottage, we decide to check out Wax Museum opposite to Mantra Ayurvedic Massage Center. Entry fee of Rs.50/head was pretty steep for a small Wax museum. There were about 10-12 statues of well know personalities. The wax statues were better than the one we have seen at Goa and Ooty Wax museums. We leave the place in 15mins and walk back to the cottage. On the way back, we buy some spices after a very good discount. The shop is owned by the same guy who owns the Tiger Land Cottages where we were put up at Kumily. The owner Jose Kurian was a nice guy who shows us different spices grown at their spice plantation and we bought lots of it at a very good price which would have been impossible at Bangalore. After the spices shopping, we purchase some souvenir for our Kerala Trip; Some carvings out of Coconut Shell, a big painted Kathakali mask and a couple of Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary T Shirts. We are back in the room by 11:30PM, pack our bags and leave Kumily by noon.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08885.jpg
Thekkady Junction, Kumily

We take the road out of Kumily towards Kottayam. Its spice plantations all around as we leave Kumily for some distance. The roads are 2 lane and we see some more tea plantations, some more of Ghat section drives and also numerous waterfalls all around. By 3:00PM we are at Kottayam and stop at Hotel Mali next to the Kottayam Railway Station for lunch. By the time we finish lunch its 3:45PM and no way are we going to make it to Cochin for the wedding. We decide to skip the wedding and just attend the reception at an Auditorium at Kadavanthara. The road from Kottayam to Cochin is through narrow roads filled with traffic. The notorious Kerala buses only decide to overtake vehicles at curves with oncoming vehicles screeching to a halt and giving way to the buses.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08898.jpg
Waterfall we came across towards Kottayam

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08899.jpg
Waterfalls

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08901.jpg
Climbing down the hills, surrounded by waterfalls again

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08903.jpg
Climbing down the hills towards Kottayam

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08904.jpg
Towards Kottayam

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08907.jpg
Towards Kottayam

We reach Cochin by 5:30PM after a heavy traffic jam from Kadavanthara to MG road and quickly check into Hotel Park Royale at MG Road opposite to Cochin Hospital. Nice hotel with clean rooms situated at a very conviniet location but most of the hotel was empty. AC Room around Rs.1000 plus taxes. After a nice refreshing bath, we leave the hotel by 7:00PM for the reception.

We meet some friends, wish the couple and after a nice dinner we decide to head back to the hotel. The wedding reception was a neatly organized and I was refreshed with all the massage I had in the morning. We then head to Jose Junction to buys lots of Banana Chips and other specialties of Kerala from Malabar Chips near Jose Junction. After that we spend some time at the Marine Drive walkway looking at the lights of the Cochin Container Terminal. Then we head towards Wellington Island for a small drive. Wanted to show my wife the school I studied at Cochin. Sadly, find the Kendriya Vidyalaya Port School demolished and a new building in its place. After a nice drive through the wide roads at Wellington Island I take my wife to the house where I had spent my initial childhood days at Thevara. Was surprised to see huge high rise apartments at the locality and with great difficulty was able to find the house in a small lane. After that we head back to the hotel by 11:30PM.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08921.jpg
View of the lights at Cochin Container Terminal viewed from Marine Drive walkway

The small vacation is coming to an end and tomorrow morning we drive back to Bangalore.

Continued....
Old 17th September 2009, 11:08   #37
BHPian

Hey DD,it has come out beautiful, man with the conclusion coming in soon, i am really going to miss your travelogue
Old 17th September 2009, 13:02   #38
BHPian

Nice pics again. The route from Kumily to Cochin via Kottayam is a driver's paradise, but quite dangerous as well. As you said, bus drivers bully others on this route.

How long were you in cochin before you moved?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:21   #39
BHPian

Nice pics..Didnt you take pics of those huge pipes on the Thekkady hill?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:54   #40
BHPian

Once again awesome travelogue and pictures!
Old 17th September 2009, 14:22   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Nice pics again. The route from Kumily to Cochin via Kottayam is a driver's paradise, but quite dangerous as well. As you said, bus drivers bully others on this route.
This route has a lot of blind curves, and as mentioned by the OP, buses find it rather convenient to overtake at curves, and also stop right in the middle of the road to drop and pickup passengers. If you happen to come in between a race between a private and a KSRTC bus, you're a goner. Caution is thrown to the winds while they engage in their duel.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
At Dharapuram we take the bypass and continue ahead, and at a circle we take the right towards Udumalaipettai which is 69kms from Dharapuram.
Hi DD Lovely travelogue, you have brought lovely memories of the time my wife and myself spent in Thekkady and Munnar for our honeymoon.

Incidentally when I came from Udumalaipettai to Dharapuram on my way back from Trichur I remember seeing the distance as no more than 40 kms are you sure it was 69 kms.
Old 18th September 2009, 00:01   #43
BHPian

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..

Day 5 (09th September, 2009): Cochin – Aluva – Thrissur – Palakkad – Coimbatore – Avinashi – Salem – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore

Trip Meter – 890kms to 1430kms

We are up by 9:00AM. Quickly get ready and have the entire luggage packed. Then my wife realizes that she had left an expensive pair of jeans back at the hotel at Munnar. We call Hotel Highrange Inn at Munnar and the guy confirms that they found the pair of jeans. He offers to have it couriered back to Bangalore. We confirm the address and promise him to have the courier charges transferred online to his account. Thank him for the gesture. By 10:00AM we have breakfast just opposite to our hotel at a fast food outlet. Get back into the hotel and checkout by 10:45AM. Load the entire luggage into the car and leave the hotel by 11:00AM.
Take the MG Road, and then take the right towards the Ernakulam North Bridge. Stop at an IOC outlet and fill diesel (Rs.500/13.5lts) and get the air pressure for the tyres checked. Buy some biscuits and some Bananas which are famous in Kerala (I don’t remember the name, big ones) for the journey as we are not sure what time we are going to stop for lunch. By 11:30-11:45PM we are out of Cochin.

Take the NH47 out of Cochin towards Aluva. The roads outside Cochin are a mess. The roads are potholed and you have small stretches of 4 lanes and then deviations. I am not sure if the Highway construction is in progress or stopped. It’s like this all the way till Angamaly. After this, it’s a good 2 lane highway from now on and I increase my speed to about 90-100kmph. You will find occasional potholes on this stretch too. By 2:00PM we are at Thrissur and we still have a long way to go. The roads continue in this fashion all the way till Coimbatore. We are at Coimbatore by 4:00PM and take the excellent Coimbatore bypass. Pay a toll of Rs.31 and continue towards Avinashi. All the way till Avanashi the roads are 2 lanes but road is in good condition. Heavy truck traffic and you usually get stuck behind these trucks for a long time as there is lots of oncoming vehicle and takes time overtaking these trucks.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08929.jpg
Stretch after Thrissur

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08931.jpg
Somewhere near Pallakad

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08938.jpg
Coimbatore Bypass

Reached Avinashi by 5:00PM and only about 20kms after Avinashi does the 2 lane widens to 4 lane highway. It’s a smooth drive all the way to Bhavani which we reach by 6:00PM. I decide not to take the road towards Mettur and decide to try the straight road towards Salem. After Bhavani, there is a bridge over river Cauvery and the entire river was full. After Bhavani, the rain clouds open up and it’s getting dark. The 4 lane highway to Salem from Bhavani is under construction with lots of deviations, potholed roads and the heavy rains during this stretch make the drive difficult and I loose time. I am really hungry now and we reach Salem by around 7:30PM. The rains have also stopped. We stop at a Dhaba just outside Salem. The food was really good. I am sure whether the food really tasted good or was it because of hunger.

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-dsc08946.jpg
After Bhavani towards Salem

After dinner, we leave Salem by 8:00PM and I know its good roads all the way to Bangalore. Pay a toll of Rs.48 at Thoppur and Rs.25 at Krishnagiri. I start tailing an Innova which is doing speeds of 120-130kmph till Dharmapuri and then continue my drive towards Bangalore with speeds around 100-110kmphkmph. We stop at a Cafι Coffee Day at Chinnar just after A2B. After a small traffic jam at Hosur, we reach Bangalore by 11:00PM.

Another road trip done and we visited some of the most beautiful places. Kerala is a very beautiful state with lots of greenery. Rivers are always full most of the year and beautiful hills with waterfalls aplenty. I am sure I will back for more. I did not get a chance to experience the backwaters of Kerala during this trip but that has to wait for another time. No plans as of now for another road trip. But there is long pending trip into Andhra Pradesh which might materialize soon.

Regards,
GODWIN
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2009, 07:21   #44
BHPian

Very nicely written and beautiful pics.
Old 18th September 2009, 12:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Hey DD,it has come out beautiful, man with the conclusion coming in soon, i am really going to miss your travelogue
Thanks Majic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post

How long were you in cochin before you moved?
Thanks krish. Yes the buses drive pretty dangerously on these roads. But amazed at their driving skills..

I was born in Cochin in 82 and moved to Bangalore in 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Nice pics..Didnt you take pics of those huge pipes on the Thekkady hill?
Thanks rabnawaz. Dont actually remember seeing any big pipes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Once again awesome travelogue and pictures!
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This route has a lot of blind curves, and as mentioned by the OP, buses find it rather convenient to overtake at curves, and also stop right in the middle of the road to drop and pickup passengers. If you happen to come in between a race between a private and a KSRTC bus, you're a goner. Caution is thrown to the winds while they engage in their duel.
I actaully witnessed about 4-5 just misses with these buses. Surprised how the public ignore it and carry on with their driving..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Hi DD Lovely travelogue, you have brought lovely memories of the time my wife and myself spent in Thekkady and Munnar for our honeymoon.

Incidentally when I came from Udumalaipettai to Dharapuram on my way back from Trichur I remember seeing the distance as no more than 40 kms are you sure it was 69 kms.
Thanks Srikanth... Yes Udumalaipettai to Dharapuram is actually less than 40kms. Thanks for pointing that out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks