Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 07:41   #46
BHPian

Great trip dreamdiesel!

I believe you have gone to right place at the right time when mountains are covered with thick forests and all streams are in full flow. I am sure you must have had excellent experience.

Can you throw some numbers/info like
  • Total trip in KM and trips between each point.
  • Mileage
  • Points to be considered going to munnar, thekkady etc.,
  • Any best places you experienced for shopping, restaurants enroute to munnar from Bangalore etc.,
  • Or any other such points that you want to share with fellow BHPians would be of great help

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 21st September 2009, 12:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Great trip dreamdiesel!

I believe you have gone to right place at the right time when mountains are covered with thick forests and all streams are in full flow. I am sure you must have had excellent experience.

Can you throw some numbers/info like
  • Total trip in KM and trips between each point.
  • Mileage
  • Points to be considered going to munnar, thekkady etc.,
  • Any best places you experienced for shopping, restaurants enroute to munnar from Bangalore etc.,
  • Or any other such points that you want to share with fellow BHPians would be of great help
Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Thanks Raghu.. It was indeed an awesome experience visiting Munnar and Thekkady this monsoon. Post Sep 30th is when the tourist season begins and IMO hill stations are pretty when visited in the off-season.
  • Total trip in KM was 1430kms and day to day odometer reading and route taken each day is mentioned in detail in the travelogue.
  • Overall mileage I got was about 19.9kmpl with about 70% AC Usage.
  • I have posted a Munnar travel guide on post # 16 with almost all places in and around Munnar covered. At Thekkady, the Periyar National Park is the place to visit, trips to Spice plantations, Kathakali/Kalaripayatu performance are some of the things you can do. At Periyar NP, other than the usual boat ride that I did to spot wild animals you have different programes offered at Periyar NP ie, Bamboo Rafting, Night Patrolling, Nature walks etc. More info on Periyar Tiger Reserve -Thekkady, Kerala, India
  • Munnar is famous for its tea. But we did not buy any we had enough stock back home from my recent Ooty visit. Thekkady is the spice hub in Kerala and you get good variety at all places in Kumily. Places to eat on the way to Munnar from Bangalore, you have good restaurants at major towns till Udumalaipettai after that its forests all the way till Munnar. At Munnar you have few good restaurants but best bet would be at any restuarant in a good hotel/resort.
  • I have shared most of my experiences on this trip in detail in travelogue. I am sure they will be helpful to some extent.
Happy motoring..
GODWIN
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:25   #48
Team-BHP Support

Great views. I thought all hill stations/plantations are alike. But looks like Munnar is truly a different place.

I plan to do this in Dec. But instead of Thekkady I was planning kumarakom.
Your list of places and distances around Munnar would be a good help. I am more of a lazy guy. So I was initially thinking while at Munnar, driving around would fun or tiring? But looking at those pictures, looks like it may be a real fun. Hence I will sincerely try most places.

Also looks like Thekaddy should not be missed, or there is always a room for another holiday !
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:27   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thanks my dear friend...great pictures, especially munnar and thekkady pics!!
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:15   #50
BHPian

Great end to an excellent travelogue. As mentioned before, I always loved your travelogues. So when are you up next?
Old 24th September 2009, 10:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelouge there dreamdiesel. It reminded me the days when I had been there on my honeymoon. Do not want to hijack your thread but just want to share the echo point and munnar dam photos I clicked in March 08 summer. The same place looks so different .
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-img_1845.jpg  

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-img_1849.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 12:10   #52
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue and pics DD ! Where are you headed off too next ? Really envy you for the number of trips you are able to make lately !
Old 24th September 2009, 13:26   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great views. I thought all hill stations/plantations are alike. But looks like Munnar is truly a different place.

I plan to do this in Dec. But instead of Thekkady I was planning kumarakom.
Your list of places and distances around Munnar would be a good help. I am more of a lazy guy. So I was initially thinking while at Munnar, driving around would fun or tiring? But looking at those pictures, looks like it may be a real fun. Hence I will sincerely try most places.

Also looks like Thekaddy should not be missed, or there is always a room for another holiday !
Thanks ampere. Munnar is different compared to other hill stations in South India like Ooty or Kodaikanal. Driving around Munnar is definitely fun.

I think 1 day at Thekkady should also be included in your trip in Dec. But again as you say another holiday, Thekkady as an excuse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks my dear friend...great pictures, especially munnar and thekkady pics!!
Thanks Latheesh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Nice travelouge there dreamdiesel. It reminded me the days when I had been there on my honeymoon. Do not want to hijack your thread but just want to share the echo point and munnar dam photos I clicked in March 08 summer. The same place looks so different .
Those pics are so good. I agree with you. Its completey different in non rainy seasons. Well taken pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Great end to an excellent travelogue. As mentioned before, I always loved your travelogues. So when are you up next?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Excellent travelogue and pics DD ! Where are you headed off too next ? Really envy you for the number of trips you are able to make lately !
Thanks guys. No plans as of now for my next trip.. But something might materialize in about 2-3 months time. Hills in MH looks very inviting..
Old 1st October 2009, 10:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

I made a w/e visit to Munnar through the same road taken by dreamdiesel and found it much better than my regular route through Tiruppur, best part being the time saved by avoiding the rush traffic in Tirupur town (would have saved 1 hr for sure). Thanks dreamdiesel and other BHPian’s for providing all the details (there was not a single instance I have to ask for direction)
While going I took NH through Salem and came back through Mettur – Thoppur. I felt Mettur is better choice until the 4 lane after Salem is completed, but beware there are some bad but manageable stretch when you near Thoppur. I took 11 hrs from Bangalore JP Nagar to Munnar with approx break of 1 hr 30 mts and return took 9.5 with break of around 45 mts.
Munnar as usual was in its full glory with the rains. Some snaps below
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-munnar090928-012.jpg  

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-munnar090928-015.jpg  

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-munnar090928-010.jpg  

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-munnar090928-067.jpg  

Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..-munnar090928-069.jpg  

Last edited by gadadhar : 1st October 2009 at 10:45.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:14   #55
BHPian

@gadadhar - Nice photos. Rains have added more greenery to the green Munnar
Old 1st October 2009, 18:40   #56
BHPian

Nice photos Bobby. I guess the rains must have subsided at Munnar.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:09   #57
BHPian

@DD, excellent travelogue with good photos. Enjoyed reading it.

Did you get those jeans?
Old 1st October 2009, 19:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
@DD, excellent travelogue with good photos. Enjoyed reading it.

Did you get those jeans?
Thanks Sridhar. Oh yes, we did get the jeans couriered back safely back to Bangalore. We called up the hotel and thanked the guy..
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:11   #59
BHPian

dreamdiesel, I really enjoyed reading your detailed and nicely written posts. The photos too are really good. Keenly awaiting your next travelogue
Old 5th October 2009, 09:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Nice photos Bobby. I guess the rains must have subsided at Munnar.
Thanks dreamdiesel. During our stay rains were playing hide and seek, It is raining cats and dogs out there in Munnar when I spoke to my guys during last w/e.

TA for your detailed rote map

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuRe View Post
@gadadhar - Nice photos. Rains have added more greenery to the green Munnar
Thanks NaTuRe. Munnar and Wayanad after rains is terrific

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks