Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 12:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit

After a rather dry spell with regards to public holidays (the last one being in May), i was really looking forward to the spate of long weekends which were coming up. Clubbed a few days leave and set off for Kerala, hoping the monsoon was not past us.

We had a few discussions with my BILs and decided to visit the hill station of Ramakkalmedu, located in Idukki district. Ramakkaledu is located along the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, and is famous for its wind farms.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6130.jpg

Starting off from Mundakayam, this was the route we took:
Mundakkayam -> Kuttikanam -> Elapaara -> Kattapana -> Ramakkalmedu

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6097.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6098.jpg

HISTORY :

Quote:
Ram is the name of Hindu God and he is the re-incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Kal is a Malayalam(the language of Kerala) word for rock and Medu means land with hills and rocks. The locals believes that Lord Ram was in this place when he was searching his wife Sita who was abducted by Ravan the king of Lanka as illustrated in Ramayan. Lord Ram had set his foot on the tallest rock to search Sita and the rock was named as RAMAKKAL and the place was later named as Ramakkalmedu.
Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6123.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6128.jpg

Standing atop the hill, one can see some of the windmills which are used for harnessing wind energy. The gusts of wind which average speeds of upto 25kmph has been recorded as the maximum in Asia as per the website dedicated to the same. Link : Ramakkalmedu | The wind hill station of Kerala to Experience the wind factor

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6141.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6142.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6136.jpg

While we were atop the hill, the force with which the wind blew had to be felt to be believed. The adventurous can quench their quest for thrills on some rather dangerous looking rocks for climbing.

The view from the top during a clear sky gives you a feeling that you are actually looking out an airplane window. The clouds feel so near that you yearn to reach out and touch them, literally giving you a feeling of walking with the clouds. Despite it being a typically sunny day, one didnt feel the heat thanks to the winds which kept us cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6142.jpg
Views:	11126
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	198576

The climb to the top of the view point involves some amount of trekking, and i would seriously avoid climbing when it is moist, or during the rains, as there are some really steep stretches. Even if you manage to climb up, the descent can be tricky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6141.jpg
Views:	14202
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	198575

Although there is a tourist influx to visit the place, it is not yet commmercialized, and so there arent much in terms of facilities for tourists or even food options. At the foothills, there are some snall shops which sell cool drinks and stuff, but no restaurant as such.
Attached Thumbnails
Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6117.jpg  

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6137.jpg  

benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2009, 13:43   #2
BHPian

Heard about this historical place. Wonderful photos. Where did you stay? Is there any acomodation near by?
There are many places in Kerala like this unexplored. Thank you for sharing.
Old 28th September 2009, 13:53   #3
BHPian

Nostalgic. I had been to this place when I was 7 or 8 years old. How was it to breathe in some fresh air after all the pollution in B'lore?
Old 28th September 2009, 14:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Heard about this historical place. Wonderful photos. Where did you stay? Is there any acomodation near by?
There are many places in Kerala like this unexplored. Thank you for sharing.
My inlws are based in Mundakkayam, and so this place is just about an hour's drive from there. As a result, i didnt need to seek any other acco.

I heard there is a KTDC resort coming up, but not sure when it would be in operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Nostalgic. I had been to this place when I was 7 or 8 years old. How was it to breathe in some fresh air after all the pollution in B'lore?
Wow! How exactly was this place like then?
The trip was surely a breath of fresh air to my lungs.
Old 28th September 2009, 14:46   #5
BHPian

Hi ben,
I have been to this place last year and the wind is just "BRUTAL". We were hardly able to stand upon the hill top that day. Absolutely amazing place.
Nice pics too. However they really dont depict the powerful winds.. am sure you would have had lungful of fresh air from there.

I remember while climbing the winds not being that great (U know upto the hype) untill a certain point in the uphill climb. However, all that changed in a matter of couple of steps! There was this spot where the wind literally pushes u down the hill with a force one cant imagine. I was absolutely blown away - literally!! Had to try hard to stand on two feets. It was one hell of an experience. Had a great time.
Old 28th September 2009, 15:02   #6
BHPian

I had a trip couple of years back to Ramakkalmedu. The place is awesome, you should go in the morning hours during the winter season, you will get frozen by the chilly winds. The beauty of the nature from the top of the rock is truly amazing.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:00   #7
Team-BHP Support

Kuruvan & Kurathy hill

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6106.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6055.jpg

Right beside the view point hill is another hill, this one having a large statue at the top of Kuruvan and Kurathy - historical characters who are believed to have found the place for the Idukki dam. One can either park below, or even drive up to the top of the hill.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6066.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6071.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6088.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6061.jpg

Windmills in the distance, as seen from atop the hill

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6052.jpg

Route to drive up to the hill top

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6092.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6096.jpg

Smart vendors have even started selling ice creams on their vehicles atop the hill.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6063.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th September 2009 at 18:03.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Wow! How exactly was this place like then?
The trip was surely a breath of fresh air to my lungs.
Don't remember much. I've got some photos at home, and one of the pics you have taken is from the same angle/place (almost). Good pics.
Old 28th September 2009, 19:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

WoW

this place indeed seems to be in the clouds,
view is fantastic
would like to visit

thanks for sharing
Old 28th September 2009, 19:44   #10
BHPian

WOW !!!!

What a Place..

Can anyone here guide me the route from Bangalore ?
Details like the distance , food and accomodation would be highly appreciated in veiw of the coming holidays ( oct 2-oct5th ) and also my new car Getz CRDI..

The ride would be
Old 28th September 2009, 20:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
Hi ben,
I have been to this place last year and the wind is just "BRUTAL". We were hardly able to stand upon the hill top that day. Absolutely amazing place.
Nice pics too. However they really dont depict the powerful winds.. am sure you would have had lungful of fresh air from there.

I remember while climbing the winds not being that great (U know upto the hype) untill a certain point in the uphill climb. However, all that changed in a matter of couple of steps! There was this spot where the wind literally pushes u down the hill with a force one cant imagine. I was absolutely blown away - literally!! Had to try hard to stand on two feets. It was one hell of an experience. Had a great time.
Quite true! When my BIL and wife went rock climbing, some passerbys were heard saying that the winds are quite strong, and there have been instances when the wind has taken people flying. Not sure how true it is, though.

The snap below should give an idea of the winds.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6095.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop RD View Post
I had a trip couple of years back to Ramakkalmedu. The place is awesome, you should go in the morning hours during the winter season, you will get frozen by the chilly winds. The beauty of the nature from the top of the rock is truly amazing.
If you visit when there is mist in the air, the experience would be good, but you would miss out on the views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
this place indeed seems to be in the clouds,
view is fantastic
would like to visit

thanks for sharing
Thanks StarVegabond. The place is surely worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
WOW !!!!

What a Place..

Can anyone here guide me the route from Bangalore ?
Details like the distance , food and accomodation would be highly appreciated in veiw of the coming holidays ( oct 2-oct5th ) and also my new car Getz CRDI..
Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Kambam -> Kumily -> Kuttikanam -> Elappara -> Kattapana -> Ramakkalmedu.

The distance from Bangalore till Ramakkalmedu is around 650 kms using the route i have mentioned above.

There is also an alternative route through Palakkad, but i am not sure about the total distance through this route.

Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Palakkad -> Thrissur -> Muvatapuzha -> Thodupuzha -> Kattapana -> Ramakkalmedu.

There are resorts around Kuttikanam, which is also a good location for sight seeing. You can club the two together.

There are no lodging or hotel facilities around Ramakkalmedu, as i had mentioned earlier. For food, if you enjoy Kerala cuisine, there are a lot of places in nearby towns which should satisfy your palate.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th September 2009 at 20:18.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Windmills @ Kattadipadom

After having heard and now seen the force of the winds, it was now time to see how man innovated to utilize the energy from this natural source. We were going to visit the windmills.

Before that, it was time to lunch and we made do with the small shops which were located at the Ramakkalmedu foothills. Kerala parottas and fish curry later, we set off.

The place where a large number of windmills were located was called Kattadipadom, which translated literally meant Field of Windmills. Since we had no clear directions, we relied more on instinct as well as asking for directions at a couple of places.

Traversing along a road which was narrow at quite a few places, we reached the place.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6147.jpg

The last stretch of the climb towards the place was best fit for a mini OTR, but some careful driving and balancing helped us make it to the top.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6148.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6165.jpg

The sight before us was mesmerizing. If the wings alone looked huge when they were being transported by trucks along the highway, this was just massive! To see an army of windmills carving through the winds was a sight to behold.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6149.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6154.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6155.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6156.jpg

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6159.jpg

Initially, it was just us and the hum from the windmills for company. Soon, some other families also joined the party.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6160.jpg

Standing beside them, one felt tinier than a dwarf. While the pictures dont really say much about how massive these structures are, one gets the perspective when standing beside one.

Ramakkalmedu - A Walk in the Clouds along with a tree house visit-img_6161.jpg

Soon it was time to move on. We were really looking forward to what was next on our itinerary.

COMING UP : Tree house visit

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th September 2009 at 10:31.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:34   #13
BHPian

OT: @benbsb29, did you drive down to bangalore yesterday? i think i saw your car.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Good photos , can't wait for the next report on the tree house.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
OT: @benbsb29, did you drive down to bangalore yesterday? i think i saw your car.
Arun where did you spot my car? I drove down from Kerala to Bangalore on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Good photos , can't wait for the next report on the tree house.
Thanks Majic. Will put up that shortly. Still composing it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks