Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 16:54   #166
BHPian

Yamraj,what a journey, we felt like seeing the places through the snaps and your narration. Amazing snaps and beautiful narration. Great Travelogue Congratulations.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:09   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Oh ya it sure was i so badly wanna take that drive again... are you planning to do Ladakh again this year??
Much as I would love to, I don't have any plans yet. Maybe some other part of the Himalayas if I get the leave .
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:58   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Yamraj : You were saying about the walkies during your travelouges. Can you tell how much it costed and from where did you buy it. It would be real helpful in keeping in touch with with diffrent vehicles when on a trip.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:08   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Yamraj,what a journey, we felt like seeing the places through the snaps and your narration. Amazing snaps and beautiful narration. Great Travelogue Congratulations.
Thanx a lot. Glad that you like the travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yamraj : You were saying about the walkies during your travelouges. Can you tell how much it costed and from where did you buy it. It would be real helpful in keeping in touch with with diffrent vehicles when on a trip.
I had picked a pair of walkie talkies from costco a couple of years ago when I was visiting the US. They cost about $20. Although pretty decent, these are basic models that help over a short distance of a couple of kms at max. There are other better models available but those cost a bit more.
Old 24th March 2010, 13:32   #170
BHPian

Simply nostalgic and glued , your thread will held responsible for delay in my few projects ;-)

Last edited by akaushik : 24th March 2010 at 13:36.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:47   #171
BHPian

I agree with Kaushik. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Congratulations
Old 31st March 2010, 16:49   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
Simply nostalgic and glued , your thread will held responsible for delay in my few projects ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
I agree with Kaushik. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Congratulations
Thanx for the compliments guys. Glad that you enjoyed the write up
Old 5th April 2010, 10:14   #173
BHPian

Great trip.. Great T-log... wonderful.... been reading this for 3 days now...

about the walky-talky... i bought a pair in the local market for 200rs. hehe... but they just have a range of about5-10 mts.

anyways,

one Q: what is alphaQ, and why were you offended? if i may ask?

-------
you have inspired many....!
Old 11th April 2010, 21:49   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Great trip.. Great T-log... wonderful.... been reading this for 3 days now...

about the walky-talky... i bought a pair in the local market for 200rs. hehe... but they just have a range of about5-10 mts.

anyways,

one Q: what is alphaQ, and why were you offended? if i may ask?

-------
you have inspired many....!
Glad that you liked the travelogue :-).

Try pronouncing AlphaQ - it comes out as I'll f**k you.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:31   #175
BANNED

Yamraj, Congrats & Great writing skill i must say. I too own a Palio and have been wanting to do a similar trip for some time but doubted if the ground clearance of the car would be a hindrance. much more convinced that its possible in a small car after reading your travelogue.
some Questions for you:
1. Did you service the Palio anytime during the trip ?
2. Did you have to spend anything on spares / service after the trip ( both WagonR & Palio )?
3. Did you research the Tata-Fiat Service centres on the route who would service Fiat ?
4. Was Ground Clearance a problem anywhere on the route ?
5. What GPS Receiver did you use ?
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:40   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Yamraj, Congrats & Great writing skill i must say. I too own a Palio and have been wanting to do a similar trip for some time but doubted if the ground clearance of the car would be a hindrance. much more convinced that its possible in a small car after reading your travelogue.
some Questions for you:
2. Did you have to spend anything on spares / service after the trip ( both WagonR & Palio )?
3. Did you research the Tata-Fiat Service centres on the route who would service Fiat ?
Sorry for the delayed reply - was a bit busy with work.

See my answers inline:

A. I got it serviced in Meerut where I had stopped for a couple of days. The only reason I got it serviced was because I had some spare time and also because I managed to whack a pothole really hard and screw up the alignment.

A. Not really. Just the regular servicing would be sufficient except for the fact that I cracked an axle boot when I whacked the car into a pothole at high speeds. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had to spend anything much more than what the regular servicing would have demanded.

A. I didn't bother too much about that.

A. Nopes. I had a sump guard installed and was confident about it protecting the engine and sump in most cases. There are times when you would scrape the undersides but then that's nothing more than what happens when you go over really bad speed breakers (as long as you have the sump guard installed). Besides this, there are times when stones do bounce up and hit the underbody but I didn't find it to be a problem anywhere.

A. I have a garmin etrex vista cx.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:34   #177
BANNED

Yamraj,
Some more questions for you.
1. Sump Guard !! Details please. Been looking for something which works without causing any problem.
2. Could you also tell me how much ( % age would do ) of the route had mobile coverage.
3. What Maps did you refer to Electronic / Physical.
Been digging on many websites ( Google,Yahoo,bing, etc ) for a good one. But all of them have their positives & negatives.
Old 6th June 2010, 23:02   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Yamraj,
Some more questions for you.
1. Sump Guard !! Details please. Been looking for something which works without causing any problem.
2. Could you also tell me how much ( % age would do ) of the route had mobile coverage.
3. What Maps did you refer to Electronic / Physical.
Been digging on many websites ( Google,Yahoo,bing, etc ) for a good one. But all of them have their positives & negatives.
1. I bought my sump guard from Green Tracks near Silk Board. It's a steel plate with slits and holes in it. I've attached a snap I took with my cell phone when they were installing it.
Bangalore to Leh, Gama to Lama-image130.jpg

2. There is hardly any coverage beyond Manali till almost Leh.

3. I took help from India Travel Forum and Community, BCMTouring.com . The folks there have some pretty useful maps. I do have some ttk maps of HP as well but was using the bcmt ones more.
Old 27th December 2011, 02:46   #179
BHPian

I'm planning LEH - Chennai trip with my friends in june. Will be doing it with three or four guys in my i20. The problem is, none of us speak Hindi. Will it be very difficult or can we manage with English itself?
Old 27th December 2011, 09:05   #180
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Leh, Gama to Lama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
I'm planning LEH - Chennai trip with my friends in june. Will be doing it with three or four guys in my i20. The problem is, none of us speak Hindi. Will it be very difficult or can we manage with English itself?
Hindi is the language anywhere en route, English is not widely spoken except in restaurants and places like that. But this is India, you can manage.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks