Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 11:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Some classic stuff coming up from what I can see - eagerly waiting!
Old 20th October 2009, 11:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Niggles.. Do not remind me of them, If I posted a list here it would run a mile long

Imagine yourself on a narrow mountain roads where brakes only make you slide. This is clear engine braking territory. You even tap the brakes, and you slide big time!
Hey Tanveer, your narration is aldready keeping me spellbound and additional tidbits like these make me refresh my travelogue page every 10 minutes. please go ahead looking out for more from you
Old 20th October 2009, 12:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Friday the 16th

Today was the day we set of for Manali.
though the plan was for a 6am start, we decided to oversleep by an hour.
Reason, we had slept late last night, and did not want to tackle the highway half sleepy.

So it was 7:30am when we finally set out on the road.
It did not take long to guess that today will be madness.
There was heavy car traffic on road, as the entire city decided to head out for the long weekend.

Though we cleared the Delhi border within an hour of driving, after that the highway became totally jammed. Slow moving crawl traffic. Either cops were active or there was an accident or something. We filled up in Haryana(cheapest diesel) and hoped for jam to clear

Some idiots went to the other side of dual carriageway, and jammed that side, and then idiots from that side came to our side, and it was a full jam.

Finally losing patience, I went off the road to the road widening area with sand and mud, and ended up wasting 1 hour instead of 5.

Breakfast was at Zilmil, with some amazing omellete and Paranthas

It was after Karnal that we got a clear road. Just before PB road I took the Banur road chd bypass, and once the smooth tarmac ended at Banur, it was madness time on the road to Kharar.

Heavy traffic, and broken road. We were literally crawling. All markets had stall and etc., and vehicles were parked everywhere.

Slowly we inched forward, and made to ropar, after which traffic thinned.
Thankfully nobody was head to Manali.

Tank full time at pb border(cheap diesel), and the FE returned was 12.

Time for the climb to begin. It was past noon, and even if we drove fast, 6 hours was the minimum to reach manali.

Finally it was around 9pm, we reached Kothi, and decided to sleep as early as possible.
Tomorrow we will cross Rohtang. go to Kunzum and Chandertaal, and come back either to Chotta Dharra or Khoksar

The sky was clear, but I was too lazy to take out the cam. Traffic driving is very tiring on the nerves.

So it was time to sleep early, and get up early,

TO BE CONT............
Old 20th October 2009, 12:24   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Fantastic! Waiting. Cursing myself. Feeling jealous.
I told him the same thing some months ago. Its not fair to us in Bangalore that the Himalayas are not within a day's drive!
Old 20th October 2009, 12:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Another awesome travelogue from Tsk.
The starter pics have me hooked to this thread for the rest of the day!
Old 20th October 2009, 13:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its not fair to us in Bangalore that the Himalayas are not within a day's drive!
Actually it is possible. Take the first flight out of Bangalore. Drive out straight from the airport. Take an hour and half to cross Delhi border (plus minus depending on that sabji mandi crowd condition). By late afternoon early evening you can see snow covered peaks through your windscreen.

Only if you have the inclination..
Old 20th October 2009, 13:11   #22
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone!
Today evening I will start processing the Day 2 pics, and post as I keep processing.
However unlike ladakh, it was too too cold for me to get out.
The temp sensor inside the bumper gets quite a bit of heat from the radiator, still it was fluctuating between 2 and 3 degree C.
So actual temp was below freezing, it was snowing, and the rocks on road had ice all over.

@Rudra. actually, its better to catch the last flight out of BLR, and start early morning. you miss all the crowd
Old 20th October 2009, 13:32   #23
BHPian

You sure are on a roll Tanveer Envy you!!!

Good to see this trip report now. Am keen on doing a Shimla - Rampur - Spiti ride in December. Hopefully this december!!! What'd be your take on a regular innova or Getz D being able to do this route in December?? Not considering Kunzum anyways... Otherwise it's going to be biking nirvana
Old 20th October 2009, 13:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Subscribed to thread; waiting, with eager anticipation
Old 20th October 2009, 13:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
You sure are on a roll Tanveer Envy you!!!

Good to see this trip report now. Am keen on doing a Shimla - Rampur - Spiti ride in December. Hopefully this december!!! What'd be your take on a regular innova or Getz D being able to do this route in December?? Not considering Kunzum anyways... Otherwise it's going to be biking nirvana
Unless you are climbing a snow covered pass, a 2WD will do.
From what circus I saw, it seems the FWD cars were having it easier than 2WD Sumos on the tough sections., The RWDs were simply sliding around in circles.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:02   #26
BHPian

Hi,

Really looking forward to this awesome Travelogue....Cant wait enough....
Old 20th October 2009, 14:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Unless you are climbing a snow covered pass, a 2WD will do.
From what circus I saw, it seems the FWD cars were having it easier than 2WD Sumos on the tough sections., The RWDs were simply sliding around in circles.
I my personal opinion and recent experience, you can do it snow covered passess in all 2WD format, but you need to do so with great patience.

If you have not driven on snow, try to find an open stretch with snow, try hard braking, will give you and idea, what you must not do, try to gain momentum slowly.

On actual snow, straight incline and down will not be a problem, its pin turns where things fall apart and panic switch in.

Ensure the turn is clear, start and gain momentum little early in first gear and turn slowly on bend, without braking. You may sway but will pass. In case you stop on the turn, do not press gas, just roll back and gain momentum again. Do not mind doing it 2-3 times, instead of revving on turns.

also tell the car behind you , to wait till you cross the bend. You will need space to roll back and gain momentum again

And if you still do not get the grip, dig the snow on sides and you will get plenty of mud/soil. Throw it on the track and you will get traction.

Am I am sure you know importance of tires with good tread. Reduce the air in tires when crossing snow bound area. Like if you have 30, reduce it to 25/24

We did all these in our recent snow crossing.
Riders on a Storm-p9160505_760x570.jpg
Rubber mats with spikes on both side also help if any one of the tire is spinning.

And last but not the least, if all these does not work, turn back, do not challenge nature
Old 20th October 2009, 14:37   #28
BHPian

Hope your back is doing well. I am sure you will mention about it later but just curious as you are up for the mountains again
Old 20th October 2009, 15:01   #29
BHPian

Amazing trip again !!!

I always wanted to see snow and a safari in snow is as best as it can get .. bring it on ! plzz
Old 20th October 2009, 20:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

TSK, amazing. You did Spiti too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks