Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 22:11   #136
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramkya

It looks like you had a trip of a lifetime
i some how missed all those posts of yours
would read at ease late on, just now subscribing to this thread.

Cherish your trip for more time ot come.
Old 15th November 2009, 22:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
In the movie "Day of the Jackal", there is a panning shot of this square as the Jackal surveys it. There is an Indian woman in a sari in that shot. Dont know why it suddenly remembered itself to me
@ Manolin:Didn't know that. Our guides were saying on and off, this was in that picture, that picture etc., remember them mentoning lots of "Da Vinci Code" palces in Europe and UK.

@ Wanderhermit: Thanks for that. I had collected lots of information before going and during the trip, I've put a small portion here, lots of late nights working on the project and writing this travalogue.

@ Starvagobond: I'm finished with the story and pictures; enjoyed writing and uploading this, lived the trip again. This doze would last for a long time for sure.

======
Old 16th November 2009, 10:27   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
When I first landed in UK, had hired a car from Avis on a weekly rental and they had accepted my Indian licence. No IDP. ThenI got myself a car and the Insurance was bought on the Indian License ( it costed more than the car). I was stopped and fined in the first week itself (not for over speeding though at that particular time) wherein I produced my Indian Licence and it was perfectly valid. Even my long term monthly rentals from Enterprise used to accept my Indian Licence.
When I lived in Germany our Indian license was valid upto 1 year, and over that I had to get a German one. Well I was on a residence permit and do not know aboput visiting / tourist visas.

Last edited by laluks : 16th November 2009 at 10:28.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:35   #139
MX6
Senior - BHPian

They've not changed anything now I guess. It's still the same with your Indian license valid for a year from the day you land there. I'm not sure for tourists/ visitors though. I went on work permit.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:38   #140
BHPian

Excellent!! That was good read. Thanks for taking time to put it up for us ramkya1 ji.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:51   #141
BHPian

Watching Switzerland pics reminds me about my honeymoon trip their. I still remember the cool breeze which came while taking that half open ice cable sitting car. Thanks a lot.
Old 16th November 2009, 18:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Some tips for driving holidays abroad:
-- Stick to speed limits as far as possible, an allowance of 10 KMPH above limit is tolerated.
=======
Absolutely brilliant travelogues. The only one i have actually followed. Even for people living in the UK it's a great insight on where to plan trips too.

Only correction is - The allowance is actually 10% of the speed limit not 10MPH above the speed limit.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday and once again lovely travelogue.

Sam.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:52   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Absolutely brilliant travelogues. The only one i have actually followed. Even for people living in the UK it's a great insight on where to plan trips too.

Only correction is - The allowance is actually 10% of the speed limit not 10MPH above the speed limit.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday and once again lovely travelogue.

Sam.
Samit, Thanks for your appreciation. Loved every day of my stay there, would love to do it again.

Before I left, I dug into the web and came across this site, URL:

Speed vs Fines
The current guidelines from the Association of Chief Police officers (ACPO)

The site specifies guidelines, practices and fines and I took it as a guide. I stand corrected, as you said, fixed penalty starts 10% above allowed limits.

======
@ Ashwinji & Sam: Thanks for the support.

======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th November 2009 at 19:56.
Old 17th November 2009, 21:40   #144
BHPian

Lovely travelogue with great details and photographs. I came across this travelogue today and read all the pages in one go. Thank you for putting such a detailed travelogue, will come in handy for all the folks travelling a trip to Europe & UK
Old 18th November 2009, 16:54   #145
BHPian

Ramki Sir, Thanks for taking me to UK and back.

It was one great read I have ever come across. Almost all the photographs are picture postcards; and I have saved many of them on my laptop (hope there is no IPR violation here ) and using them as wallpaper.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:09   #146
BHPian

Ramkya sir, this has turned out to be one of the best threads that i have gone through, the photographs are beautiful and splendid narration, you could even write a book someday. I have given you 5 stars, in rating. Congrats Sir, looking for more from you
Old 18th November 2009, 22:52   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Lovely travelogue with great details and photographs. I came across this travelogue today and read all the pages in one go. Thank you for putting such a detailed travelogue, will come in handy for all the folks travelling a trip to Europe & UK
AarEmm: Thank you. The only reason I have put so much details is for it to become some reference point for people who wold do Europe and UK, specially the newbees.

advaitlele: Thanks, please use them, I'm happy you thing they are good enough for a desktop

majic: Thanks a lot. I had to compress the nattarion with great difficulty, in my full flow form, this could have turned into a 500 page book. A book? mmm...... .?? I don't know.... you have planted a seed, maybe someday.......

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th November 2009 at 22:53.
Old 21st November 2009, 01:50   #148
BHPian

ramkyaji,

many many thanks for uploading such a detailed trip narration with excellent
pics. very useful tips in the end.
I have gone thru the whole narration and keeping it as bookmark and
plan to go thru it when planning my europe trip next yr.

what is your next trip?
any chance of USA

--rawnak
Old 21st November 2009, 15:57   #149
LLL
BHPian

Awesome trip.....really a lifetime experience.

Can you share your experience about the visa process and the TC costs, just to round up the travelogue...

Thanks
Old 21st November 2009, 16:55   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnak View Post
ramkyaji,

many many thanks for uploading such a detailed trip narration with excellentpics. very useful tips in the end.
I have gone thru the whole narration and keeping it as bookmark and plan to go thru it when planning my europe trip next yr.

what is your next trip?
any chance of USA

--rawnak
rawnak: Thank you for your comments.

Bingo.... have started collecting info and seriously evaluating route 50, 4800 kms in 20 days next year. Want to join in????

@ LLL: Thanks. Will work out details of cost etc.,, and upload sometime tomorrow.

The Visa was easy, since we were going to UK first time, the bio-metrics were taken at Ahmedabad office, 2 hrs, sen to Mumbai and got the same by courier back in 3 working days. Same time for Schengen Visa for Europe, we did not go anywhere, just signed the papers, Thomas cook took care of the rest, took them 3 working days. For visitor visa, Europe and UK is no problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks