Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:19   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That is a great family driving holiday LDL. Surely you have already thought about where to head next! Safari rides are addictive to say the least.
Thanks dada.

Yes, I am always planning one trip or the another all the time, ever since this black beauty came home! My lack of driving experience notwithstanding, I never feel like geting off the wheels of this Tigress. No wonder after that trip, we have had a memorable and adventurous trip to Mumbai (with some sight seeing detours en route) on this year end! After I complete this one, will put up another travelogue.

Mt. Abu pics coming up next..
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:58   #47
BHPian

Day 4 continue..

Mt. Abu sight seeing

We reached Mt. Abu at 11.25 am and had remaining of the day only for sight seeing. I felt that was a sort of off season (Oct end) there! as hotels were looking vacant and ready to drop rents easily! . We had little time to go for hard bargain, so took room in a hotel Shereton very near to main market area. He started with Rs 1200 and gave it (non AC) in Rs 700. We were not tired, put up luggage in room, got freshed, took some directions from hotel staff, took out our Tigress, bargained with a guide at hotel, was asking 300 bucks, little further in main market, we got a guide for Rs. 150! He helped in planning in our sight seeing in given time. he showed us around impt points and left us at Dilwada temple.

We had lunch at Dilwada, visited those magnificent work of architecture. Really, the fine work on marble in those temples is the best we have seen so far. After temple visit, we went on a drive to Guru Shikhar (18 kms). On way, we saw a few vehicle parked at a spot. I too pulled the Tigress on left and we spend some time there which was known as shooting point, view from there was nice. We moved to Guru Shikhar, visited temple there, but keeping time limitation, skipped to climb those steps to see footsteps of Guru. Spend some time on local shops there, shopped a few paintings and hurridly rushed back to Mt. Abu main to view the famous sun set. Locals told we'll make it in time. We actually reached just in time, but it wasn't to be!, There were few clouds and sunset happend a lil early. Also we didn't know that after parking there is some walk till view point! Even guide didn't tell that. We took that horse ride too, but it was too late. But personally, I didn't give much importance to it. We returned and had hot tea at the parking place, returned to hotel as son was having headache. Took some rest, left son at hotel and went for tradional Rajasthano food at Jodhpur dhaba in main market.

That again was a day well spent.

My observation: Mt. Abu is much hyped. Now I remember why HVK sir says that it is worth half day sight seeing. Except magnificent Dilwada temples, there is nothing noteworthy. But, off course, Dilwada alone is reason enough to visit that place.

Pics follow soon.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:17   #48
BHPian

Day 4 continue..

Mt. Abu sight seeing pics
Attached Thumbnails
My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02539.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02554.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02561.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02565.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02567.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02581.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 17:26   #49
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Didn't know sheraton Bargains! We'll use it.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:35   #50
BHPian

Day 4 continue..

More pics from Mt. Abu sight seeing
Attached Thumbnails
My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02596.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02597.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02608.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02617.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02621.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02631.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02632.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02634.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02639.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02640.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02642.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02647.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02673.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 18:41   #51
BHPian

Day 5

Day 5

Day 5 destination was to reach Jaipur for night halt, but we wanted to cover one spot en route. Initial plan was to take a detour (from NH 14 somewhere after Sirohi) to Kumbhalgarh!. Asked locals en route, but didn't get clear directions, so decided against it, and changed plan to visit Holi Ajmer Sharief shrine instead.

Started from Hotel at 8.37 (Odo 1265), came down to Abu Talhati (end of ghat section) and stopped for break fast (odo 1285). There are quite a few restaurants, were instead of them, we stopped at a road side small shop who were makinf hot pakodies and samosas! I knew if we sit on those restaurants, they'll take 1 hr to bring those parothas and curd, and will also charge heavily. Also purchased some oranges and left at 9.50 am.

Till Sirohi road, it is same new 4 lane highway NH 76 (coming from Palanpur, GJ and going to Udaipur, Kota..). After that it was 2 lane, but good road. Passed through Sirohi town, took a 10 min break at 12.10 (Odo 1445), passed by pali town at 12.45 (Odo 1462). Rajasthan roads are really good. I was enjoying drive even on conventional 2 lane NH 14 coming from Jodhpur.

I have told family that we'll have lunch at RTDC Motel Bar, which came at 2 pm (Odo 1534). This was a long lunch break. Family got relaxed. We all truely enjoyed the typical north Indian homely food, nice strong tea, beautiful and typical Rajasthan highway sorroundings (see pics). We had a photo session too. The feel of being on the highway side, seeing those big monsterous long trucks on those ghatis roads is a beautiful sight, and to some one like me, the food tastes even better in that setting! (truely, feelings of a petrolhead ! Isn't it!).

Really, RTDC is very well professionally maintained. You won't feel that you are in a public sector organization. Each staff seems to know the importance of tourism (and of tourist's) to their state's economy.

Finally, we left at 3.05. Now I put my favourite old melodies, and asked family to let me concentrate on some fast mile crunching, so as to meet day's target. Beavor passed by at 3.55. Though truck traffic was there, but, somehow, I liked driving on that 2 lane road much more then our UP 2 lane NH stretches.

We reached Ajmer city at 4.30 pm, asked locals for way to Dargah and parking etc,. Reached Delhi gate, parked Tigress in a parking @ Rs. 50, went for Dargah visit, it was crowded, lil problematic with our lil daughter, but it is same at all religious places. We completed it with full enthusiasm and those sacred feelings, came back. Took out Tigress at 6.15 pm and headed to Jaipur highway. Took a pits and tea break, I also took out the covers of additional projectors on Tigress and finally, started at 6.45pm (Odo 1644) from Ajmer.

Driving on Ajmer - Kishangarh route with heavy traffic in evening hrs was little tiring, and it specially was messy in the outskirts. However, once out of that mess onto Expressway, I really enjoyed that drive under lights. Family took a nap and I, with my favourite old Lata melodies playing in, put the Tigress to a real spirited drive.

I was amazed to see a local Alto flying pass me when I was doing 120, and was out of sight in seconds! He sure must have been at 140+. I let him go. After sometime at a toll plaza, spotted same Alto, then it was my turn, and after that he'll surely remember the power of this Tata beast! But, pl dont mistake me for indulging in a rash driving comptition on such a long trip! It was nothing of that sort. I was fully in control around 130 only and enjoyed that drive. But for the comfort of wife and kids, I was feeling like driving it through to Delhi continuously, could have been terrific experience, but decided against it because a 4 yr daughter was on board.

Finally, reached Jaipur at 8.40 pm (Odo 1768). This time no mistake of going inside city crowd. We went straight (the way we had come from railway station side when going from Jaipur), and reached near station without much hussel of traffic. Tooka a room in an ordinary hotel in Rs. 600! Had some ordinary food in dinner and called it a day.

Few pics from day 5 coming up.
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Didn't know sheraton Bargains! We'll use it.
I hope it is clear that it was not Maurya Sheretan! (The 5 star one). No, it was some other one, but good for just a night's stay. (Pics of hotel above in previous post, the last pic; and the 1st pic in next post below). Actually, I felt there were less tourists and more rooms, that's why!

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd February 2010 at 19:00.
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:59   #53
BHPian

Day 5 continue

Pics from day 5

Beautiful Rajasthan roads even 2 lane highway is a pleasure to drive on.
Attached Thumbnails
My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02685.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02689.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02691.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02701.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02705.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02711.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02716.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02721.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 19:09   #54
BHPian

Day 5 continue

More pics from day 5

@ RTDC Motel Bar.

We enjoyed a relaxed break there. Nice views of highway!
Attached Thumbnails
My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02765.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02761.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02731.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02739.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02750.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02764.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02768.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02774.jpg  

My introduction to Modern Highways: Black Tigress (Safari 2.2) roaming in Rajasthan-dsc02776.jpg  

Old 4th February 2010, 14:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Yes, I too agree. That's not a safe speed. That was for half a min only, just for that snap, I immediately came down to 130. Thanks for the concern.
Thats even more scary.. No ABS on the vehicle, and now I learn that you have taken the snap yourself while you were driving.. You should thank your luck that nothing untowards happened.. It is extremely unsafe to have your eyes off the road even for a second while you are driving at those speeds in a vehicle that is known to pitch and turn when you break urgently from those speeds!
Old 4th February 2010, 14:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Thats even more scary.. No ABS on the vehicle, and now I learn that you have taken the snap yourself while you were driving.. You should thank your luck that nothing untowards happened.. It is extremely unsafe to have your eyes off the road even for a second while you are driving at those speeds in a vehicle that is known to pitch and turn when you break urgently from those speeds!
================================================== =====
He already stated that the speed is for only 2-3 mins only and on open stretch.

But car without ABS/AirBag/ and with family on board(Specially Kids) that speed should not be a good idea.
Old 4th February 2010, 15:39   #57
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
================================================== =====
He already stated that the speed is for only 2-3 mins only and on open stretch.

But car without ABS/AirBag/ and with family on board(Specially Kids) that speed should not be a good idea.
And that too a kid sleeping with no seat belt on?
Old 4th February 2010, 16:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And that too a kid sleeping with no seat belt on?
an_and, KALINGA and MX6.
Thanks friends for your concerns. I think a few clarifications are in order here:

1. I didn't take those speedometer shots. My son who was wearing seat belt took those shots.

2. That 160 was for few seconds only, may be less then half a minute and yes, on a very open stretch on NH 2 four lane (GQ just after Etawah, Kanpur -Agra stretch) where no traffic was there in sight.

Again, no arguments intended, friends, anything beyond 120 is not safe. Normally I also maintain 120. So, those 130+ shots are rarity, may be for few mins in whole trip.
Just to see whether this Tata truck attains that stated speed!

That daughter sleeping on seat w/o seat belt! was that on those speeds! Oh my God! who will do that! Friends, that was when we were stopping for a pits stop near some city on some other day, may be during Mt. Abu- Ajmer journey. Actually she was sleeping in middle seat in her mother's lap, and when we stopped she was woken up and again even on sitting she was feeling sleepy. So that's it. That shot is actually when vehicle was standing at 0 speed.

Actually, sometimes pics make a wrong impression as they convey only what is seen and can't convey the whole perspective of the seen.

Anyway, no offences taken here friends. Actually, I am happy to see your concerns, and that's the beauty of this forum.
Such frank shairing and caring sure is good. Keep it up, yes, Safe & Responsible Driving is what every T-BHP member is supposed to do and I sure will always be one of them.

Hope I made it clear

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 4th February 2010 at 16:34.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, no offences taken here friends. Actually, I am happy to see your concerns, and that's the beauty of this forum. Such frank shairing and caring sure is good. Keep it up, yes, Safe & Responsible Driving is what every T-BHP member is supposed to do and I sure will always be one of them.
Well said, LongDrive lover!

I think we are all responsible enough and value our safety as well as that of others on the road. Whether it is 60 or 160 kmph, the circumstances decide what is the margin of safety and I'm sure LongDrive lover is experienced enough to judge that, none of us reading these posts.

Yes, I alaos agree that RTDC hotels are well-managed. I have stayed in Jaipur, Ajmer, Behror and Shahpura and had an equally good experience.

You appear to have bargained well to get your rooms
Old 5th February 2010, 10:52   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well said, LongDrive lover!
I think we are all responsible enough and value our safety as well as that of others on the road. Whether it is 60 or 160 kmph, the circumstances decide what is the margin of safety and I'm sure LongDrive lover is experienced enough to judge that, none of us reading these posts.
You appear to have bargained well to get your rooms

Thanks a ton Sir. You made my day.

It doesn't get better then what you have said.

I wrote that clarifications so that I am not mistaken as someone who is just after speed (which I am not). I am also fully aware that Safari is a vehicle which is not meant for speed thrills, for that there are sedans. But, on a long trip a driver has to keep judging as where he has to be careful in rough/tough conditions, and where he can make up the time.

Sir, regarding hotels bargain, personally like you I just need a decent room for a night's stay with cleanliness and some open space for kids to roam around. But, on a trip we are not after luxury. Hence, we could manage rooms in those rates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks