Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 13:38   #16
BHPian

I could totally relate to your horrible experience as i was also a victim of road-less roads just a couple of weeks back. But fortunately our ordeal ended after 25km.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1719277
Old 15th February 2010, 13:57   #17
BHPian

Hi Kaustav,

A great travelog. And the first tour with 5400 KM. Great!!!!
The NABARANGPUR,JAYPUR,MALKANAGIR areas are NAXAL affected area. But after Bhawanipatna all the route is normal.
i think u take NABARANGPUR--->Bhawanipatna--->Saintala--->Balangir---->Bargarh--->Sambalpur--->Rourkela route. That stretch is very very less traffic with modrate road condition. But after BARAGARH the road is good till ROURKELA.

neway,,a great marathon 5400km trip.

waiting for more description and photo.

Drive Safe
KALINGA
Old 15th February 2010, 14:23   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have had a lot of great experiences. Way to go. Sad that your mirror went for a toss. But then, reflecting upon Robert Frost's couplet, "I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference", revel on what you accomplished than what could have gone wrong!
Old 15th February 2010, 14:25   #19
BHPian

Next time you travel anywhere in India, first check the log books @ KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS (hvkumar)
Old 15th February 2010, 16:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

hehe.. Very gripping and nicely written experience.
I was thrilled and excited to read the way you narrated about your experiences.
But as everyone said, next time do consult the routes on TBHP and then hop on to your driving seat.
Waiting for the other part of your travelogue and more pics.
Old 15th February 2010, 17:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly that you were guided to go via Bhadrachalam! The correct route would have been to go on NH5 till Cuttack, then take NH42 to Talcher, NH23 from there to Barakot on NH6 and then reach Rourkela easily. Both NH5 and NH42 are currently in excellent condition and pose no safety issues.

On teh other hand, the Bhadrachalam-Sukhma road is one of the most dangerous Naxal roads - I had taken it in 2008 when I was going to Jagdalpur in Bastar, but that was safely by day - and you were lucky that nothing untoward happened to you, although Naxals normally do not harm tourists.

I can see that the road to Sukhma from Bhadrachalam has not lost any of its "original" condition - 1-lane rutted road!
Old 15th February 2010, 18:42   #22
BHPian

All is well that ends well, but do you think it was worth the risk?

I agree - driving such a long distance is definitely a thrill, but it doesnt have to be unsafe.

As you said you had thoughts about something bad happening with your wife and you. God forbid, if anything had happened, would you be able to forgive yourself for the rest of your life. I know - I am sounding pessimistic, but in such cases, it is better to be safe than sorry. Say what?
Old 15th February 2010, 19:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
All is well that ends well, but do you think it was worth the risk?
I know - I am sounding pessimistic, but in such cases, it is better to be safe than sorry. Say what?
I fully agree to you my friend. I had never planned for all this and thats the reason I got into that situation. Lack of proper planning is what led me to those roads. If something would have happened . . . I really don't know what to say . . I would have cursed myself throughout my life.
Well, I would definitely advice everyone out here to plan out your trip thoroughly before you venture out. There might be situations where you don't get a chance to back out. I must say I was lucky to quite an extent. Wouldn't want anyone else to face what I faced. I hope my post is an eye opener for people who love long drives & they learn from my bad experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I can see that the road to Sukhma from Bhadrachalam has not lost any of its "original" condition - 1-lane rutted road!
I must say that its not in the same condition as when you traveled that route. It has become even more rutted, gutted & horrible. Its not meant for city cars rather for Mahindra Jeeps, Boleros, trucks and other heavy vehicles. I hope I never face such roads again.
However, the road from Bolangir onwards is lot better though very desolate & the Highway from Sambalpur till Rourkela is still as good as ever.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustav View Post
I hope my post is an eye opener for people who love long drives & they learn from my bad experience.
Yeah Kaustav, I hope people learn from your experience. As they say, "Intelligent people learn from their mistakes, Smart people learn from others mistakes"!
Old 16th February 2010, 15:24   #25

@Kaustav, My hometown is near bhawanipatna and let me tell you, you had taken a dangerous road.

A relatively safer road (read maoist free) would have been Visakhapatnam --> Bobilli --> Rayagada--> Bisamkatak-->Bhawanipatna-->Bolangir--> Bargarh--> Sambalpur--> Rourkela. Bisamkatak to Bhawanipatna road is slightly bad but never deserted as you will find Vendanta Alumina Trucks all along ...

you can check mapmyindia dot com for the route details.
Old 16th February 2010, 20:15   #26
BHPian

That was an absolute dare devil attempt in your new car . Happy that u are safe . Good one.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly that you were guided to go via Bhadrachalam! The correct route would have been to go on NH5 till Cuttack, then take NH42 to Talcher, NH23 from there to Barakot on NH6 and then reach Rourkela easily. Both NH5 and NH42 are currently in excellent condition and pose no safety issues.
@hvkumar - How is the Nh42 beyond Talcher, all the way upto Sambalpur?
Also, if i wish to go to Korba, what will be the right point to leave NH6 and how is that road? (sorry for the off-topic query)

Last edited by pkumar : 16th February 2010 at 23:55.
Old 17th February 2010, 00:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
@hvkumar - How is the Nh42 beyond Talcher, all the way upto Sambalpur?
Also, if i wish to go to Korba, what will be the right point to leave NH6 and how is that road? (sorry for the off-topic query)
NH42 is in fantastic conndition - update from a friend's drive last month.

To go to Korba, I think it may be a better idea to go via Raipur and Bilaspur since that is the better connection. If you are going from Bangalore, the best route would be to take NH43 from NH5 north of Vizag, from near Vijayanagaram, via Koraput and Jagdalpur. NH43 is in good shape too.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
NH42 is in fantastic conndition - update from a friend's drive last month.

To go to Korba, I think it may be a better idea to go via Raipur and Bilaspur since that is the better connection. If you are going from Bangalore, the best route would be to take NH43 from NH5 north of Vizag, from near Vijayanagaram, via Koraput and Jagdalpur. NH43 is in good shape too.
Thanks a lot for the update. Does any of your logs cover Nh43 (just to get an estimate on timings)? Is Nh43 safe(naxals/menacing cops) for very early morning drives or late evening drives?
Old 17th February 2010, 12:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
Thanks a lot for the update. Does any of your logs cover Nh43 (just to get an estimate on timings)? Is Nh43 safe(naxals/menacing cops) for very early morning drives or late evening drives?
No, I have never been on N H43 myself. But my friend took 5 hours from Sambalpur to Cuttack. AFAIK, there is no Naxal problem on this route although it is prone to bandhs, etc, thanks to the anti-mining activism in the region, from time to time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks