Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:51   #91
BHPian

Wow!!! beautiful photographs. I am glued to this thread and would be following it intently.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:41   #92
BHPian

Fantastic thread..!!

awesome pics!!
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:03   #93
Team-BHP Support

Thank you sabsubs & Mafia!

Pics of our Bangalore - Mangalore - Bekal Fort (Kerala) - Athirapally Waterfalls (Kerala) - Valparai Ghats - Coimbatore - Bangalore trip.

We went Mangalore for an old classmate's wedding. From there, we headed down to Bekal Fort (an old hangout place of Tipu Sultan) and then to Athirapally Falls - famous for Aishwarya Rai's waterfall song Barso Re Megha from the movie GURU.

Pic 1: While manufacturers equip our cars with safety systems like ABS and airbags, women equip them with something far more effective - idols of Gods & lucky charms. After hearing about my drives, a friend of mine gifted a golden idol of some God (or Goddess) while a cousin of mine gifted a 'sailing ship' talisman. Both of them truly works like a charm

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc140001.jpg

Pic 2: After a hearty wedding meal in Mangalore, we headed towards Bekal Fort in Kerala, about 50 km from Mangalore. Ganne, Myself and Niri at the fort entrance. Niri is the Borra Caves amateur photography guy.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150022.jpg

Pic 3: This spider has seen lots of wars. Cannon hole of Bekal Fort.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150024.jpg

Pic 4: Inside the Bekal Fort. Russell Crowe's 'Gladiator' opening scene style tall grass inside the fort.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150023.jpg

Pic 5: Pretty sure Tipu Sultan installed a huge cannon here to take potshots at the passing ships.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150035.jpg

Pic 6: Walking up and down this slope a couple of times is a quick way to lose those extra pounds around the waist.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150060.jpg

Pic 7: View of a beach from Bekal Fort.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150050.jpg

Pic 8: Sunset at the beach.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150063.jpg

Pic 9: YC poses for Niri. Old camera trick - man swallowing the setting sun.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150069.jpg

Pic 10: We sit and wonder about the true meaning of life.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc150075.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd February 2010 at 12:10.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:52   #94
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Now that you mention about Aishwarya's barso re, Bekal is the famous place for Manisha's Tu Hi Re. I was smitten by that song and immediately made a trip there, unfortunately in peak summer. Was a big let down as the the place looks much departed from what I saw in the movie. Been planning for ages on a monsoon visit still!
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
The slimy thing is a jellyfish for sure.

And INR 500 per night at Haathi Mahal is a steal. It is one of Goa's finest.
Oh yes, its a steal alright. Have stayed at Haathi Mahal a couple of times and everytime its a dream experience.

One doesnt need to leave the resort except for going down to the beach which is just a 5 min walk
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:07   #96
Team-BHP Support

You should use this ready reckoner -

Monsoon - Coastal Karnataka/Kerala/Maharashtra
Summer - Deserts like Rajasthan/Gujarat (Rann of Kutch), historial places like Hampi/Khajuraho etc - because there is no difference in the way the place looks across seasons
Rainy - Hill stations like Ooty, Khandala etc for the misty look.
Winter: Himalayas, Beaches

By doing this, you will not only get the best photos, but also the best room rates - because it's all "off-season".

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd February 2010 at 15:08.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:19   #97
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You should use this ready reckoner -

Monsoon - Coastal Karnataka/Kerala/Maharashtra
Summer - Deserts like Rajasthan/Gujarat (Rann of Kutch), historial places like Hampi/Khajuraho etc - because there is no difference in the way the place looks across seasons
Rainy - Hill stations like Ooty, Khandala etc for the misty look.
Winter: Himalayas, Beaches

By doing this, you will not only get the best photos, but also the best room rates - because it's all "off-season".
True. But those days there was no planning. It's like you see something, you just get on a bike and hit the road! You know how bachelor life in college days were like!
And I enjoy driving a 4 wheeler so much that sometimes weather and seasons are secondary. Drove around Scotland during blizzards. Drove from Boston to NY when Yuan blew over halifax, Drove around Florida when 4 hurricanes ripped through. All those are reserved for future travelogues. Inspired by you, I'm gonna start off a thread. 100K kms in US in 1.5 years.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:35   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And INR 500 per night at Haathi Mahal is a steal. It is one of Goa's finest.
Quote:
Oh yes, its a steal alright. Have stayed at Haathi Mahal a couple of times and everytime its a dream experience
Are you two "club members" of Haathi Mahal?

When checking out, they charged us Rs. 20 for a glass we did not break

Quote:
Drove around Florida when 4 hurricanes ripped through. 100K kms in US in 1.5 years
This ought to be interesting - with those hurricanes chasing you from behind.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:48   #99
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you two "club members" of Haathi Mahal?

When checking out, they charged us Rs. 20 for a glass we did not break

This ought to be interesting - with those hurricanes chasing you from behind.
I once saw a tornado striking down close to a walmart parking lot near Melbourne, FL, while I was on I95 south, driving to Miami. It touched down and didn't form a full tornado, but immediately raised and disappeared. People stated that it might have touched a water surface to weaken. Had it hit the car park, the effects could have been devastating on a saturday morning!

And regarding the glasses you didn't break, you should have gone back and taken those glasses as souvenirs as you've paid 20 bucks for them.

Last edited by MX6 : 22nd February 2010 at 15:49. Reason: about the glasses
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The Chennai Bangalore leg of NH4 is amazing. I drove at an 100 - 110 in that route last time. Traffic was low as well. I was amazed at the results.
I left home at 5 pm and reached hosur at 9 pm. That included a break at vellore where we had dinner at Saravana bhavan (costed a bomb there). I was amazed because, I kept a constant speed. Travelled around 314 kms in around 3.5 hours.
I averaged 110-120 Kmph from Hosur (Ashok Leyland Factory) to Chennai (Avadi) of about 296 Kms in 3 hrs 25 mts without any break.

Did you do that in 4 hours with a break? I'm sure your average should be more than 120.

@smartcat - Thanks for showing the glimpse of Bekal fort; will try to make there someday

Last edited by aargee : 22nd February 2010 at 15:54.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:59   #101
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I averaged 110-120 Kmph from Hosur (Ashok Leyland Factory) to Chennai (Avadi) of about 296 Kms in 3 hrs 25 mts without any break.

Did you do that in 4 hours with a break? I'm sure your average should be more than 120.

@smartcat - Thanks for showing the glimpse of Bekal fort; will try to make there someday
Your Avadi is the spoiler here. I left Ashok pillar, and within 10 - 15 mins I was on poonamalli high road. Traffic was surprisingly low on 100 ft road that day! Of course I jumped a signal near CMBT and a cop tried waving at me. I kept driving and didn't look at his direction at all.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:00   #102
BHPian

[quote=smartcat;1745870]Are you two "club members" of Haathi Mahal?

When checking out, they charged us Rs. 20 for a glass we did not break quote]

You guessed it right friend and too bad that you had endure a glass shattering experience

But frankly, it is one of the better holdiay resorts around Goa. I have also been to Club Mahindra at Goa and Haathi Mahal scores a few brownie points over Club Mahindra
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:26   #103
Team-BHP Support

Oh you don't mind these little things when you are paying Rs. 500/day. Probably they were cross with us for using their facilities for a week and not taking their club membership

Quote:
I once saw a tornado striking down close to a walmart parking lot near Melbourne, FL, while I was on I95 south, driving to Miami. It touched down and didn't form a full tornado, but immediately raised and disappeared. People stated that it might have touched a water surface to weaken. Had it hit the car park, the effects could have been devastating on a saturday morning!
Any teaser tornado/hurricane pictures?

Quote:
Mangalore coast is already getting hotter every day. Try to make it to Bekal Fort a month after the monsoon ends. The weather will be pleasant, the grass in the fort will be tall & green and the sea water will be calm.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:32   #104
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any teaser tornado/hurricane pictures?
Will try getting my old laptop up and running to hunt for pics. The problem is that I have a dell inspiron 2200 where the photos of US reside. The adaptor has gone for a toss. I tried with two replacement adaptors. Both went for a toss too. I have to resuscitate that hard disk someway so that I don't lose out on over 6000 photos taken 7 - 8 years back!
sorry for the
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:55   #105
Team-BHP Support

Bekal Fort - Athirapally Falls - Valparai Ghats trip continued:

Pic 1: We leave Bekal Fort, drive down south and call it a day at Mahe (union territory). Don't remember how much, but petrol was very cheap here. We have Idli Vada in the morning.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160079.jpg

Pic 2: A few things you'll notice driving on the main NH hugging the Kerala coastline. 1) There are two types of bus drivers in Kerala - one with murderous tendencies and the other with suicidal tendencies. 2) The city never ends, or the highway never starts. Population is so densely packed on both sides of the highway that you'll never know when you are approaching a town, and when you are leaving it.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160104.jpg

Pic 3: We decide to hit the beach. Any beach. So at the first signboard that said "blah blah beach", we turned the car in that direction. The fisherman heaves and throws his fish net into the sea.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160084.jpg

Pic 4: I look up to see which bird was responsible for the white stuff on my car.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160082.jpg

Pic 5: We reach Athirapally Falls and are greeted by this Voodoo-like sculpture.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160112.jpg

Pic 6: Athirapally Falls at sunset.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160123.jpg

Pic 7: Athirapally Falls is on Chalakudy river.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160116.jpg

Pic 8: Aishwarya Rai is a daredevil. How did she get on those rocks and dance?

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160125.jpg

Pic 9: Niri playing "Twister" to get the best possible shots of the waterfalls.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160121.jpg

Pic 10: I get inspired, and try (& fail) to get an artistic car shot with the waterfalls.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160135.jpg

Pic 11: Roads around Athirapally Falls has an European feel to it - not that I have ever set foot on Europe to say that with conviction though.

100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights-pc160136.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks