Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2010, 15:58   #61
BHPian

the best and the worst

the best tarvel in train has been on the jhelum exp from delhi to jammu in peak winter seeing the khets of punjab...ummm just lovely and the other one is the delhi bangalore stretch ...still remmeber the biryani and the wait for it in manmad or was it dhaund??? more memorable as i met my future wife in the train.
The worst was the NE express with two breakdowns in bihar one by some agitating students who were not being allowed to copy ...for gods sake!! came back in a unreserved compartment sleeping or sitting opposite the wasbasin.hehe happy days.
Old 11th August 2010, 19:28   #62
BHPian

Some of my best train journeys are :

1. Londa to Goa by Konkan Railways. This has been one of my best journeys as we get to see some amazingly beautiful landscapes, waterfalls and tunnels. The first time I travelled by this train was with 35 of my classmates in 2002. It was a splendid experience and loads of fun.

2. Me n wife travelling to Ernakulam from Hyderabad by Sabari Express. Its a 2AC journey for a little over 24 hours and we really enjoyed the route.

During childhood, my fascination always has been to travel by train and eat everything that comes our way in stations
Old 11th August 2010, 23:04   #63
Joy
BHPian

One of my best train journeys are from Silchar to Guwahati long back. Beautiful landscapes, wonderful waterfalls and many tunnels (forgot the numbers). In a sense classique. Those who haven't seen it can never feel it (though a longish journey but awesome).

Worst? hmm... quite a few. Let me decide and let you know. sorry guys.
Old 12th August 2010, 07:11   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Some of my best train journeys are :

1. Londa to Goa by Konkan Railways. This has been one of my best journeys as we get to see some amazingly beautiful landscapes, waterfalls and tunnels. The first time I travelled by this train was with 35 of my classmates in 2002. It was a splendid experience and loads of fun.
Londa to Goa is not a portion of Konkan Railways. But for all the natural beauty you can call it one! KRC spans Mumbai-Goa-Mangalore. For a long time, Goa express from Delhi-Goa used to be diverted to Hubli from Londa, as the Londa-Castlerock-Goa section was not approved.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:11   #65
Team-BHP Support

Over the weekend had a really delightful conversation with an engine pilot of WDM3, hauling a passenger train.
The train had got stuck to let other trains pass, I had my chance of talking to the pilot.

The conversation lasted almost half hour and topics varied from all the technical aspects of locomotion to the signalling.
The starting of a series parallel motor, various multiple unit operations. It was enlightening as I heard him speak.

He mentioned IR does not seem to be updating the signalling systems.
Safety is still a compromise.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
the best tarvel in train has been on the jhelum exp from delhi to jammu in peak winter seeing the khets of punjab...ummm just lovely and the other one is the delhi bangalore stretch ...still remmeber the biryani and the wait for it in manmad or was it dhaund??? more memorable as i met my future wife in the train.
Vow!! A fairy tale too! Great.
Old 17th August 2010, 02:08   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Jhelum express does pass through some impressive terrain this side of Delhi too especially after Bhopal starting with the Vidisha - Hoshangabad sections.

The Biryani has to be from Daund. That canteen has a history of serving up some of the finest food in the entire Indian Rail network. The Jhelum after pulling out of Pune stops at Daund for a good 25 minutes after just an hour of running to allow passengers to gorge themselves.

Just kidding, the stop is a technicality but the stoppage time is long enough to partake the delicacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
The worst was the NE express with two breakdowns in bihar one by some agitating students who were not being allowed to copy ...for gods sake!! came back in a unreserved compartment sleeping or sitting opposite the wasbasin.hehe happy days.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:08   #68
Team-BHP Support

Used to spot Jhelum many a time at Agra while waiting for Goa express.
The other worst train according to my friends were the Chattisgarh and Samta express. But were trains to be taken to go Orrisa/Vishakhapatnam (with connections). They provided one hell of ride, stopping where they want and when they want!
Old 17th August 2010, 12:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Used to spot Jhelum many a time at Agra while waiting for Goa express.
The other worst train according to my friends were the Chattisgarh and Samta express. But were trains to be taken to go Orrisa/Vishakhapatnam (with connections). They provided one hell of ride, stopping where they want and when they want!
The Utkal Express also used to provide one hell of a journey topeople travelling to Cuttack /BBSR from Delhi. It used to be one "Orissa Darshan".
Old 17th August 2010, 13:05   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Utkal Express also used to provide one hell of a journey topeople travelling to Cuttack /BBSR from Delhi. It used to be one "Orissa Darshan".
Oh yes I forgot about that! My room mate used to be a regular on Utkal!
A true Orissa Darshan!
Old 17th August 2010, 14:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

My best journey on a train was around 15 years back. I traveled in the Mysore-Mangalore Passenger from Hassan to Mangalore. This was still in MG then. I boarded the train at Hassan at around 1.30 pm and reached Mangalore at around 8.00 pm.

The best part of this journey was crossing the Western Ghats (Shiradi ghat) after Sakleshpur. The train used to move so slowly that we could almost get down and walk along with it. To add to the fun , we almost had the whole compartment to ourselves. We were sitting in the Second Class seater (wooden seats) compartment btw.

To top it, the canteen at Yedakumari which served lovely dosas when the train stopped there for a crossing. This was one station with a great view of the ghats.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:44   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
My best journey on a train was around 15 years back. I traveled in the Mysore-Mangalore Passenger from Hassan to Mangalore. This was still in MG then. I boarded the train at Hassan at around 1.30 pm and reached Mangalore at around 8.00 pm.

The best part of this journey was crossing the Western Ghats (Shiradi ghat) after Sakleshpur. The train used to move so slowly that we could almost get down and walk along with it. To add to the fun , we almost had the whole compartment to ourselves. We were sitting in the Second Class seater (wooden seats) compartment btw.

To top it, the canteen at Yedakumari which served lovely dosas when the train stopped there for a crossing. This was one station with a great view of the ghats.
Man! I really envy you. I got to about it only when I shifted based BLR. Till then it was on either superfasts or local trains in north.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Man! I really envy you. I got to about it only when I shifted based BLR. Till then it was on either superfasts or local trains in north.
Well, you can still enjoy it now. There is a day train from Bangalore-Mangalore now. You have to enjoy it while it lasts. Who knows, a power project (which is waiting for approval) might be started the next day.

I feel that conversion to BG has killed the thrill of the journey on this section. I haven't traveled on the BG train, but I have trekked on this famous route and I saw these trains (goods and passengers) whizzing past.

One more journey that comes to my mind is the one on Arsikere-Mysore passenger train. Me and my friends used to take this train from Hassan to Mysore every weekend. The train used to take approx 3 hrs to cover a distance of 120 kms. The fun thing (also irritating) was that the train would start from a station and then accelerate and before it reached speed, it would slow down again because it would have reached the next station
Old 17th August 2010, 15:03   #74
Team-BHP Support

That is why I said I envy you. Nothing like MG/NG rather than BG.
I know there is a day train to Mangalore. I plan to take it some day very soon.
Old 4th October 2010, 07:36   #75
Team-BHP Support

News: If you are not aware, IRFCA has also shifted to a forum, from a mailing list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks